• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the first two episodes. Keep in mind that I normally can't stand anime (the only real exceptions are Akira and the Street Fighter 2 animated movie), so this has a real uphill battle with me. Of course, the fact that I love these characters helps offset that.

Episode 1 was so-so, perhaps sticking a bit too close to the source material, but episode 2 was pretty good. It tells the same story as the game, only changing minor details, and feels like it expands upon the story we already know. The way they're building up Edgeworth as an adversary works very well, and the personalities of Phoenix and especially Maya seem on point.

I suspect this case is going to run for 3 episodes if they keep this relaxed pace up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them skipping certain cases from the games.

It was interesting to see a little bit of Phoenix' personal life, something we've pretty much never seen in the games for some reason. Here we get to see his apartment, we see him riding a bike around, we see him bring home groceries and lay down in his bed. This is the kind of stuff I hope the series will keep doing to expand upon the existing story and characters.

If only the quality was the biggest flaw in this anime I would watch it despite that. But I can't stand it anymore.

I guess the little scenes with Miles were good but the character of Phoenix is completely garbage the most akward scene was probably the moment where he asks Maya to defend her. This was the most random anime shit I've ever seen for a long time. Replace the words "Let me defend you" by "I love you" and you have something totally cliche.

I expected nothing and still disappointed...

Firestar

The second episode of the adaption was a lot better, but still pretty disappointing. The anime has pretty garbage music though (especially the OP, wtf?). I wish they'd just use tracks from the game.
I'll keep watching, if the trial next episode does it justice then I could see them improving this to be a decentish adaption still.

jnWake

As someone who isn't very familiar with anime (haven't watched one since like Dragon Ball 18 years ago) but very familiar with the AA series, I'm enjoying this! I can notice the animation quality and some other stuff not being high quality but it's, so fun, a fun retelling of the game events IMO. In this episode they added a few more stuff to complement the games which was cool too.

However, I'm not sure how good it'll feel for people that never played the games. The pacing is very quick and it seems easy to get lost, especially when some stuff appears out of nowhere like April May.

Sölf

Just saw EP 2, I think that one was quite a bit better than the first. I wouldn't be suprised if the case would only last for 2 episodes, but currently it looks more like 3. We may get trial and some investigation in episode 2 and finish things up in 3. I actually don't know how much was skipped here, but his investigation felt good enough for now. Well, my hopes that this will be good have increased a bit at least.

Sölf

Someone asked here why Phoenix in EP 2
knows about the witness. I think since he was taken to the station police just told it him there. I mean, someone had to call the police, so yeah.

FluxWaveZ

Surprised they've just shown angry April May thus far.

Cf6LSzDVAAAP1nT.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/anime_gyakuten/status/720166150613565441

So episode 3 has been great. Quick to the chase, but didn't feel confusing or weirdly paced like some other game-based anime series.

Redd White's Engrish is awesome. I really enjoyed the way they translated the confrontation in the Bluecorp offices.

Can't wait to see how they portray breakdowns from now on.

Stuart444

Yeah, really enjoying this series. Episode 3 was pretty good. Enjoyed the courtroom battle.

Looking forward to the next episode, final episode of Turnabout Sisters.

FluxWaveZ

Ace Attorney Episode 3

That was another alright episode. I think "alright" will pretty much be my reaction to most of these.

The court scene was better to me than episode 1's, possibly because it's more involved and the pacing benefits from that. They do a bad job of conveying the grandeur of the court, though:
This makes it look small and constrained, while it always looks massive in the games when the camera zooms out.

I liked the very first "Objection!" Wright threw out against Gumshoe. You'll typically have a decent idea of when Phoenix will object, especially when you're in control and you have time to deliberate it as a player. Seeing it suddenly come out like that mid-sentence caught me off-guard in a cool way which is how it must actually feel for the characters Wright cross-examines.

The foreshadowing is cool.

Also, man, I've played the first trilogy twice now but I still forget some details. Phoenix was actually sent to the detention center because of Redd White? It's funny to me how, as a newbie attorney in the first game,
he committed the same mistake of directly confronting and antagonizing his top suspect twice.

Welp if it doesn't start to improve next episode I'm gonna drop it hard.

Worst part in this episode is probably when Phoenix yelled like a child when he pointed out the contradiction about the autopsy report.

Sölf

I really like that they don't rush things so much. They could have done this case in 2 episodes if they wanted, but they took 3 for it. That begs the question, what other cases will we see? Do we already know if this show is one cour? Because if it is, I think they will cut out 1-3 and 1-5 as well as 2-1 and maybe 2-3. We know Franziska will appear, but I see no other way, as 1-4 will need at least 4-5 episodes with the current tempo.

Sölf;201123366 said:
I really like that they don't rush things so much. They could have done this case in 2 episodes if they wanted, but they took 3 for it. That begs the question, what other cases will we see? Do we already know if this show is one cour? Because if it is, I think they will cut out 1-3 and 1-5 as well as 2-1 and maybe 2-3. We know Franziska will appear, but I see no other way, as 1-4 will need at least 4-5 episodes with the current tempo.

1-3 is essential in building the world for 2-4 though so it can't be cut.

Ace Attorney Episode 3

That was another alright episode. I think "alright" will pretty much be my reaction to most of these.

The court scene was better to me than episode 1's, possibly because it's more involved and the pacing benefits from that. They do a bad job of conveying the grandeur of the court, though:

This makes it look small and constrained, while it always looks massive in the games when the camera zooms out.

I liked the very first "Objection!" Wright threw out against Gumshoe. You'll typically have a decent idea of when Phoenix will object, especially when you're in control and you have time to deliberate it as a player. Seeing it suddenly come out like that mid-sentence caught me off-guard in a cool way which is how it must actually feel for the characters Wright cross-examines.

The foreshadowing is cool.

Also, man, I've played the first trilogy twice now but I still forget some details. Phoenix was actually sent to the detention center because of Redd White? It's funny to me how, as a newbie attorney in the first game,
he committed the same mistake of directly confronting and antagonizing his top suspect twice.
He does it in like every case. Shows White the newspaper clippings, shows Vasquez the photo of Jack Hammer, shows Von Karma the letter to Yanni Yogi... I think the only one he doesn't goad during an investigation is Gant.

FluxWaveZ

He does it in like every case. Shows White the newspaper clippings, shows Vasquez the photo of Jack Hammer, shows Von Karma the letter to Yanni Yogi... I think the only one he doesn't goad during an investigation is Gant.

That's right! I forgot about the 1-3 one where he got roughed up by bodyguards because of his eagerness.

I'm gonna have to replay the trilogy a third time with the 3DS collection alongside the anime and before AA6 is out.

That's right! I forgot about the 1-3 one where he got roughed up by bodyguards because of his eagerness.

I'm gonna have to replay the trilogy a third time with the 3DS collection alongside the anime and before AA6 is out.
Yeah I just played through the first game on 3DS after seeing the second episode.

I really do love the trilogy as a whole and AA3 is amazing (at least the plot relevant cases, 3-1, 3-4 and 3-5) but there's something special about the first game. Even the fifth case, while obviously tacked on several years after the fact, is a worthy addition.

MrBadger

I was so disappointed that Redd White didn't punch Phoenix. Other than that, this episode was solid. Skipped a lot of stuff from the game, but it felt well paced and Redd White's English was great. I assume that's a thing in the original Japanese script in the game

Still...I wish they used more music from the games. So far I believe we've only heard Objection and Cross Examination. They're probably saving Cornered for a bigger moment though

Still...I wish they used more music from the games. So far I believe we've only heard Objection and Cross Examination. They're probably saving Cornered for a bigger moment though

It might be a good thing. I have to admit that the last time I played the first game, I was kind of disappointed that they introduced Cornered so early in the first case, and for something that didn't really feel all that important. On the other hand, it sure seems to get new players pumped and eager to jump into the rest of the game right away.

I was so disappointed that Redd White didn't punch Phoenix. Other than that, this episode was solid. Skipped a lot of stuff from the game, but it felt well paced and Redd White's English was great. I assume that's a thing in the original Japanese script in the game

The sad version of the Steel Samurai's theme popped up in episode 2 while Phoenix was mourning over Mia.

D-Man

The episode was pretty solid. I'm kinda sad that they skipped some of the cooler parts from the trial ("Oh? Excuses aren't on sale today?") but I understand that they had to trim down some stuff due to time constraints.

Hopefully Cornered will make its grand debut in next week's episode.

MrBadger

The sad version of the Steel Samurai's theme popped up in episode 2 while Phoenix was mourning over Mia.

Must have missed that. Very odd choice of music, though. Especially considering there was no turnabout sisters ballad.

Spoilers for the first game
I'm Phoenix Wright, and this is Jackass

Jay RaR

Just watched the new episode.

The show is getting slightly better although I have to wonder how a non-Ace Attorney fan will enjoy the show with how fast-paced the plot is with some details from a case that are subtle but not mentioned.

Wish I can find a site with the alt track English subs that aren't from Crunchroll lol

GSR

Caught up this week after missing last week's. I think the investigation scenes are working better than the court scenes because they get a chance to flesh out the Japanifornia world more than the games did. Both eps were a step up over episode one.

One thing that was bugging me: the perspective was way out of wack in the courtroom scenes in episode 3. Everyone seemed to keep changing sizes.

Pluto

I watched the first episode and it really wasn't very good. The case was so simple to solve that I didn't understand how this even got to trial and how is it possible that the defense lawyers didn't know about the witness?

Does it get better? Because after this episode I'd rather watch Detectice Conan, it does the crime solving a million times better.

I watched the first episode and it really wasn't very good. The case was so simple to solve that I didn't understand how this even got to trial and how is it possible that the defense lawyers didn't know about the witness?

Does it get better? Because after this episode I'd rather watch Detectice Conan, it does the crime solving a million times better.

Ace Attorney is based upon a game and the first case in the game is meant to be an easy tutorial to ease players into the world. That doesn't transition well into a condensed anime. Some of the latter mysteries are a lot more complicated but they gradually get there over the series. Episodes 2 and 3 (and 4) which cover the second case give a better indication of where things go. Yes the trails aren't realistic, the game was meant to someone saterize the Japanese legal system at the time hence the crazy witnesses.

Sölf

I guess you never played the games? Sounds like it. First, don't think our justice system works in universe. It doesn't.

That aside, the first case is one of the worst in the whole series (if not the worst). That they show the murderer at the start is reason enough to not like it. The second case is already much better (but still worse than the game). You should at least watch 1 more episode, as that one takes place during the investigation before the court.

Edit:
To add to this, I quote myself from the anime thread, responding to people who saw the first episode:

To add to this, the very first case is also extremely boring. I mean, ingame you have like 5 or 6 items and you see the murderer commiting the crime. And the whole case is not longer than maybe 30-45 minutes (maybe 60 if it's your very first game and you have absolutely no idea what you are doing). But it's really nothing that represents the whole show. I mean, just compare the opening sequence of this case to one that of a later one:

Ace Attorney 1: The First Turnabout
Ace Attorney 1 - Rise from the Ashes

To be fair, while Rise from the Ashes is the fifth case in the first game, it was only added with the NDS remake, after the first 3 games were already finished. But still, just from seeing the introduction, you don't really have an idea of what the fuck is going on. So, I would say watch at least the second case (probably episode 2 and 3), but even that isn't that great, because in the game, case 2 ALSO showed the murderer. >_>

Pluto

Thanks to both of you, I'll keep watching and no, I never played the games.

Kind of a weird choice for the first episode. I can see why they would do it as some kind of tutorial level in a game but for a series it doesn't work in my opinion,

MrBadger

Those of you who didn't play the game and are watching the anime (I doubt there's many), do you think the pacing is going too fast? I think it's relatively fine, and I'm wondering if knowing what they miss out is affecting people's opinions.

Thanks to both of you, I'll keep watching and no, I never played the games.

Kind of a weird choice for the first episode. I can see why they would do it as some kind of tutorial level in a game but for a series it doesn't work in my opinion,

Once you see episode 2 click this

case 2 was supposed to be the first case in the game, but they wanted the player to have a better connection to mia before she was murdered.

While honestly the games are better than the anime has been thus far, this thing does have its moments from time to time, and some rather sensible changes to accommodate the format (and as a bonus, Grossberg comes out looking a lot less cowardly). Also, Edgeworth's brief freakout and taking it out on poor Gumshoe was entertaining for the expressions alone.

FluxWaveZ

Also, Edgeworth's brief freakout and taking it out on poor Gumshoe was entertaining for the expressions alone.

That made more sense in the game than it did in the anime, though. Edgeworth really did come off as a jerk here and it was kind of unwarranted because Gumshoe could have no idea about the phone (guess he could have asked about something like that, but eh), but at least it was Gumshoe's dumb mistake in the game.

That made more sense in the game than it did in the anime, though. Edgeworth really did come off as a jerk here and it was kind of unwarranted because Gumshoe could have no idea about the phone (guess he could have asked about something like that, but eh), but at least it was Gumshoe's dumb mistake in the game.

Well, it was still kinda Gumshoe's fault, since he didn't search the crime scene hard enough. You'd think a detective would've searched the crime scene with a fine-toothed-comb. Phoenix sure as hell didn't take long to notice the phone, it was in a fairly obvious spot.

Verelios

What is up with the running animation!? Show is gradually getting better each episode but it's still really middling for me. I think it's because a lot of Phoenix's character comes from his internal monologues when doing, well, anything.

jnWake

I'm surprised Wright and Edgeworth's relationship has barely been mentioned so far, but then again I don't really remember how that went in the games...

Still, I'm having fun with the show so far. April was funny and Redd's English/Japanese mix was pretty good.

Madao

this adaptation is so far pretty much 1:1. for me it's a bit boring because i already played the games years ago so the plot is pretty much like replaying the game again.

it's fun seeing some things like the objections and pointing though since they add some oomph to them.

I'm surprised Wright and Edgeworth's relationship has barely been mentioned so far, but then again I don't really remember how that went in the games...

Still, I'm having fun with the show so far. April was funny and Redd's English/Japanese mix was pretty good.

don't they elaborate on that in like case 1-4?
since that's when Edgeworth gets in trouble

Piichan

Banned
this adaptation is so far pretty much 1:1. for me it's a bit boring because i already played the games years ago so the plot is pretty much like replaying the game again.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I am watching this is because I'm curious how they will handle some things in the anime. They are sticking really closely to the game, which makes it less interesting.

I wonder how many of the anime's viewers are people who played the game.

MrBadger

At this point in the game,
all we know is that Wright knows Edgeworth exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom