• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay RaR

Filler next episode? Bleh.
Hopefully we see some cameos like Ray Shields.

And a great conclusion for the last case. Some events were added/switched around like where the DL-6 bullet was and Larry's transparent stunt but they didn't bother me.

They're probably gonna skip RFTA, but oh wells.

They might not remove Rise from the Ashes. We will have to see.

We didn't get
Von Karma head banging
. IMO the movie version of the DL-6 case was slightly better.

Episode was nice, but It could have used the cornered theme. Also, they go into so much trouble getting the bullet that killed Gregory, but they could just shoot the gun with a new bullet then use that to compare it with the one in Karma's shoulder.

jnWake

Episode was nice, but It could have used the cornered theme. Also, they go into so much trouble getting the bullet that killed Gregory, but they could just shoot the gun with a new bullet then use that to compare it with the one in Karma's shoulder.

Von Karma had both the gun and the bullet in his desk I believe. At least there was a gun where Maya found the bullet.

FluxWaveZ

They really screwed up Manfred's breakdown, here. It's one of the most memorable in the series, as the whole court just goes silent, Wright looks on calmly and Edgeworth looks away painfully as von Karma has a complete freak out and bangs his head on the wall.

He goes down as the monster he was. Here, they make him seem feeble and weakened, which I don't think is very appropriate for the kind of man von Karma was. And they skip a lot about Manfred's motivations and just how much he hated not only Gregory, but Edgeworth as well. Ah well, I guess there's so much an adaptation can do. The original elements this episode were certainly... unique.

Pachinko version of this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hc-tMA9THA (UNTIL 10:14, where it then goes into AA2)

Hopefully next episode is alright; seeing more about Phoenix's origins could be cool. Afterwards, I'll look forward to being rid of that awful opening and ending.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They're already on Karma's breakdown? Wow.

Rise from the Ashes or no?

They really screwed up Manfred's breakdown, here. It's one of the most memorable in the series, as the whole court just goes silent, Wright looks on calmly and Edgeworth looks away painfully as von Karma has a complete freak out and bangs his head on the wall.

He goes down as the monster he was. Here, they make him seem feeble and weakened, which I don't think is very appropriate for the kind of man von Karma was. And they skip a lot about Manfred's motivations and just how much he hated not only Gregory, but Edgeworth as well. Ah well, I guess there's so much an adaptation can do. The original elements this episode were certainly... unique.

Pachinko version of this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hc-tMA9THA (UNTIL 10:14, where it then goes into AA2)

Hopefully next episode is alright; seeing more about Phoenix's origins could be cool. Afterwards, I'll look forward to being rid of that awful opening and ending.
Do we know if they're changing OPs/EDs? I guess with the introduction of new characters like Franzy and Pearl it's due for an upgrade.

Nohar

I share the same opinion. Frankly, the anime fails to convey the awesomeness of the game.

Also, yeah, this OP and ED need to go (assuming the new ones are better).

FluxWaveZ

I think that was one of the best episodes so far. It's something that wouldn't make sense in the games themselves, but works well in the context of an anime and also fits with the story of Ace Attorney. Also reinforces the friendship that Phoenix, Larry and Edgeworth have, and kind of gives more clarity to Wright's motivations in the game (it wasn't just about the courtroom case, but about their friendship as a whole).

The juxtaposition between Edgeworth's mood with his father and then how it all fell apart after DL-6 was good, too.

It was neat seeing young Franziska.
TKYx20v.jpg
2UyrnO6.jpg
I assume the dog's supposed to be Missile? That'd at least tie into its origin, though the lifespan of a Pomeranian is apparently 12-16 years, so there might be a contradiction in there somewhere.

Now, I really hope that's the last I have to see of that dreadful opening, and even that ending. Bring on something new and better for AA2.

Edit: Actually, a new opening was apparently already announced.
Song is by Johnny's West (the same band as the first OP) and it's called "Jinsei wa Subarashii" (Life is Wonderful).

Lusankya

It was neat seeing young Franziska.

She looks quite old for a 2 years old. :p

Anyways, nice episode. I really liked that Larry wasn't made into a bad guy who literally stole money, but instead found and brought it to the police and just didn't make the connection to Edgeworth's missing money.

rekameohs

Banned
Looks like they're skipping Case 1 of JFA, I have no problems with this.
2-2 takes place before 2-1 in the game, since Maya's in 2-1, but she is reunited with Phoenix in 2-2 after leaving in AA1.

That was the first case to do the now-standard practice of screwing with the chronology with the case order.

Young Franziska was adorable, but I guess they made her older in the anime's canon? She looked too old for a 3-4? y.o.

Sad at no Raymond Shields mention, though.

2-2 takes place before 2-1 in the game, since Maya's in 2-1, but she is reunited with Phoenix in 2-2 after leaving in AA1.

That was the first case to do the now-standard practice of screwing with the chronology with the case order.

I completely forgot that this was the case.

I'm a bit surprised that a filler episode would be the best episode thus far, but it does confirm what I said earlier in the thread: the Anime is at its best when it fleshes out the characters from the game. The Ace Attorney universe has some of the most memorable characters in gaming, this is their chance to give them more spotlight.

Stuart444

So all I have to say about this episode is...

I love Harumi/Pearls <3.

Well that and it was nice to see Natsumi get plenty of screen time.

Nohar

The filler episode was excellent. I also get the feeling they are becoming much better with Investigation episodes. Pearl and Nick were absolutly adorable!

Sadly, the trial episodes (the highlight of the video game series) are kinda weak. They really need to improve those. There is little to no build-up to the villains' breakdown, or those breakdowns are significantly altered, lessening their impact (von Karma being the prime example).

Lusankya

Great episode, I loved everything about it.

Pearls is just so adorable and I loved they gave Maya a new summoning outfit. There are also so many small funny scenes like these:

A8RR0YE.gif

3eNg7z9.gif

FluxWaveZ

That was a great episode. The new opening is SO much better than the previous one, it's crazy. I was a bit taken aback that so much of it featured the dreaded 2-3, but it works and makes it dynamic. Not much goes on during the ending credits, but it still manages to be better than the previous one too.

The episode itself was great. I like Lotta Hart, and this reminded me why. And seeing Pearl is nice. I feel like they might have retconned the fact that Manfred is straight up dead, though. In here, the line was akin to "Hasn't he been banned from..." but the game implied he had been given the death sentence, which ties into Franziska's motivations.

MrBadger

I assume the dog's supposed to be Missile? That'd at least tie into its origin, though the lifespan of a Pomeranian is apparently 12-16 years, so there might be a contradiction in there somewhere.

Maybe it's the other Missile? The one that was actually a Pomeranian

Not watched the new episode but I have to say the new opening is a huge improvement over the old one. Actually relevant to the games rather than being the embodiment of cheesy 90s anime. I was so tempted to drop this after they botched the final act of Turnabout Goodbyes but the filler episode was okay so I'm gonna keep watching.

Hilarious how people wanted them to skip Big Top but the intro basically confirms that they're definitely doing it. (Also Big Top ain't that bad. It's no Serenade for sure)

Baleoce

I may be misremembering the case, but
in the game did Phoenix know that Turner Grey had a gun in his possession before entering the channelling chamber?

It doesn't really sit well with me, if that's a change.

FluxWaveZ

in the game did Phoenix know that Turner Grey had a gun in his possession before entering the channelling chamber?

I'm pretty sure Phoenix knew. Either shown to him at his office or at that point in the episode.

MrBadger

I like the new outro as well. My head canon is that the other dog is Missile from Ghost Trick

The most noteworthy change from the game for me is the shot when they break into the channeling chamber.

NkHI1cE.png

In the game, seeing her from the front leads to them discussing how it blatantly isn't Maya, causing Franziska to prove that people change their appearance when channeled. But since we only see Maya from behind, maybe they're bypassing all that? We already saw that Misty's appearance didn't change when she channeled Greg so maybe they're just not mentioning it to keep consistency.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it

Jay RaR

Hahaa, so they're definitely skipping 2-1. Poor Maggey lol.

The new opening has much better animation but I prefer the first opening's music. I also kind of prefer the presentation of the first opening as cheesy as it may be because the second opening feels like I'm watching a typical shonen adventure opening with references to events that'll happen in the future. idk why

As for the episode, it's pretty good as usual. Pretty humorous with Pearls and Lotta and its nice to see how fleshed out Kurain Village is. Can't wait to see Franziska in action!

Baleoce

So do you all think we are going to get 1-5 in some kind of arc to take a break from the trilogy at some point? Or will it just happen as a flashback arc after the trilogy is done? Starting to think it'll be the latter, as it kind of makes sense with its inclusion on the DS re-release, and it coincides with the introduction of Ema in AA4, which makes for a smoother transition for the character in the anime.

D-Man

Man, the new intro is such a step up from the first one it's not even funny.

Solid episode today. Pearl is adorable in anime form and even though she's one of my least favorite Prosecutors, I'm curious to see how they're gonna handle Franziska.

I feel like they might have retconned the fact that Manfred is straight up dead, though. In here, the line was akin to "Hasn't he been banned from..." but the game implied he had been given the death sentence, which ties into Franziska's motivations.

Not quite. Phoenix says "&#12354;&#12398;&#20154;&#12399;&#12418;&#27861;&#24311;&#12395;&#31435;&#12388;&#12371;&#12392;&#12394;&#12393;..." which is essentially "but it's impossible for him to be in court" because of execution / imprisonment.

The exchange between the two of them would be better translated as:
Gumshoe: "You're up against THE Prosecutor Von Karma today."
Phoenix: "Von Karma? But how could he be here?"
Gumshoe: "It's his successor, pal."

I don't know why they went with banned.

He did not mention it. It was brought up during the court day and revealed to be Grey's pistol. It was brought up when the initial weapon, the knife was introduced.

Episode was nice. I'll definitely appreciate Morgan getting more screen time since she showed up so sparsely in the games which was always odd to me considering how important she is to multiple major events. Pearl is cute and a very interesting tidbit to me is she is voiced by Misaki Kuno who is also the voice of Iris Watson from Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Franny's getting voiced by Saori Yumiba who I've never heard of so I'm interested in how she'll do while I thought Fran's pachinko voice was perfect.

I am sad that they keep throwing the Blue Badger everywhere since they aren't doing 1-5 which established him the first place. Keep twisting that broken switchblade in my heart, A-1!

Intro and outro are better but the sunflower imagery is so out there and hokey. I like the songs more too.
But why is Bat there? Why is Acro standing? Why is John Doe of all people getting screen time??

MrBadger

Food for thought - Farewell my Turnabout's adaptation will likely be a lot stronger than Goodbyes was. A common theme I've noticed is that the anime handles the investigation segments really well, and tends to mess up the courtroom segments. in Farewell,
most of the drama happens outside of court, and the big courtroom segment doesn't have any big reveals, it's all about the characters stalling for time.

Also I wonder if they're cutting out Psyche locks? They're a gameplay mechanic first and a story mechanic second so maybe they're just not going to bother with them

Baleoce

He did not mention it. It was brought up during the court day and revealed to be Grey's pistol. It was brought up when the initial weapon, the knife was introduced.

In which case I don't like that change at all. Like, why would he let that go when he saw it before they entered the chamber?

MrBadger

In which case I don't like that change at all. Like, why would he let that go when he saw it before they entered the chamber?

It was likely brought up so they can skip over the details of where the gun came from in court. The anime does that a lot, like how it established straight away that Lotta was at the lake to see Gourdy so there wasn't a huge part of the trial dedicated to finding out why she was there.

jaina

Also I wonder if they're cutting out Psyche locks? They're a gameplay mechanic first and a story mechanic second so maybe they're just not going to bother with them
I think the factor for their inclusion will be time.
But I expect they'll at least introduce the Magatama and have it influence Phoenix's investigation. Maybe even with the psyche lock / chain animation, that would be a good visual effect for the anime.

jnWake

Caught up today. Kids episode was very good giving insight into the friendship. Larry continues to be the best.

Pearls is so damn cute. She's one of my favourites in the games and doesn't disappoint here.

So with the very prominent display of the Blue Badger in the second ED, blue hand print and all, i really hope Rise from the ashes will be in the anime.

Nohar

I think the factor for their inclusion will be time.
But I expect they'll at least introduce the Magatama and have it influence Phoenix's investigation. Maybe even with the psyche lock / chain animation, that would be a good visual effect for the anime.

I'm half-expecting them to use the Magatama during trials, thus allowing for more interesting trial episodes. That would be them taking liberties compared to the game, but I would be fine with it.

Kevinroc

So with the very prominent display of the Blue Badger in the second ED, blue hand print and all, i really hope Rise from the ashes will be in the anime.

I think if the anime is going to do Apollo Justice, they're going to have Rise from the Ashes first to serve as a prologue.

Nohar

Well... Hum... I am not sure how I feel about the first day of trial (spoilers about the episode and how things happened in the game):

On the one hand, I think they nailed Franziska, although I was expecting a lot more "Fool".

On the other hand, the story being told here deviates quite a lot from how it happened in the game proper. They completly overlooked the folding screen and went instead with the newly added details about Maya's crown. Also, there is no mention of the fact that there is no bullet hole on the murderer's costume in the photo, something which was critical in getting the trial adjourned.

Spoiler about the real murderer (so don't click if, for some reason, you didn't put together the pieces of the puzzles yet):

Finally: way to hint at the real murderer animators... Viewers may be morons sometimes, but that little scene between Morgan and Mimi doesn't leave much room to interpretation. Geez, can they let the viewers figure out things by themselves just a little?

jnWake

Well... Hum... I am not sure how I feel about the first day of trial (spoilers about the episode and how things happened in the game):

On the one hand, I think they nailed Franziska, although I was expecting a lot more "Fool".

On the other hand, the story being told here deviates quite a lot from how it happened in the game proper. They completly overlooked the folding screen and went instead with the newly added details about Maya's crown. Also, there is no mention of the fact that there is no bullet hole on the murderer's costume in the photo, something which was critical in getting the trial adjourned.

Spoiler about the real murderer (so don't click if, for some reason, you didn't put together the pieces of the puzzles yet):

Finally: way to hint at the real murderer animators... Viewers may be morons sometimes, but that little scene between Morgan and Mimi doesn't leave much room to interpretation. Geez, can they let the viewers figure out things by themselves just a little?

That scene indeed fell very unnecessary indeed. Was there any kind of foreshadowing like that in the game? Still, the truths hidden behind the murder (besides the murderer) are very cool and not hinted at all yet.

FluxWaveZ

I like Lotta Hart's expression here:
A good episode. Some of the differences compared to the game are interesting, if not a bit odd.

As someone who's played the game, that
Miney and Morgan scene
was pretty cool, but it's not great for those who would be unfamiliar with the mystery as there's quite a bit of foreshadowing here concerning upcoming twists that wasn't in the game.

Kind of makes me wonder how this anime would be if it was fully intended to be for existing fans of the Ace Attorney series and they didn't have to skirt around spoilers. Scenes like that one could be more frequent and give several new perspectives to the cases.

Finally watched the episodes based around Case 4 and the one explaining Nick's class trial. Kinda sad that they changed a lot of things about Edgeworth's trial of his father's death :( Von Karma didnt't seem as menacing as he was in the game. And they also changed Nick and Maya's farewell, which I felt was more emotional in the game. At least the parrot segment and the group photo were kept in hahaha. And man episode 13 was soooo good, lil Edgeworth is pretty adorable, and Larry is way more likeable here. From the preview it seems they're skipping AA1's extra case (saaaaaad) and the second game's first case, huh? Farewell Maggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom