• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ok. Animation seems quite cheap, the game affectations are quite nice.

I'm going to look forward to seeing redd white and the steel samurai though.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope "rise from the ashes" is animated.

shira

It was ok. Animation seems quite cheap, the game affectations are quite nice.

I'm going to look forward to seeing redd white and the steel samurai though.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope "rise from the ashes" is animated.

I think the major problem is that they don't have the game music. That shit was hype af.

Dario ff

Banned
I don't see much problems with rushing the first case, it's really nothing special and it just introduces the mechanics. Only gripe I have with it is not using the game's music more often.

I think the second case will be the proof of how well they can handle the adaptation considering there's a lot at play there and it's very important that whoever is watching can keep up with the puzzles.

Luigi87

I thought it was okay. Not a fan of its OP.

Didn't care for the music mixing, which disappoints as I absolutely love the games' soundtracks.

So it turns out the localized names are used in the subs if you right click the video and select Alt Track.

Damn, wish I had read about this before watching the first ep. Also I can only get the menu to pop-up in Chrome, not Firefox...hmm.

The first case isn't all that interesting anyway. The real question is if they bother to adapt the first case of AA2
which is the amnesia case, hardly a shining moment for the series
and the third case of AA2
which I'd regard as the weakest in the series, plus creepy clowns

I'd rather they adapt some of the manga content instead of those two cases.

Overall, this series obviously is lacking a huge budget, but I still really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it, the cg gallery was bad and the music didn't do enough of a job ramping it up during the turnabout but I laughed quiet a bit and really enjoyed see AA in anime form. Can't wait to see more.

MrBadger

Yeah, the opening is the most "anime" thing I've ever seen. Not a fan.

The first case isn't all that interesting anyway. The real question is if they bother to adapt the first case of AA2
which is the amnesia case, hardly a shining moment for the series
and the third case of AA2
which I'd regard as the weakest in the series, plus creepy clowns

I'd rather they adapt some of the manga content instead of those two cases.

Overall, this series obviously is lacking a huge budget, but I still really enjoyed it.

Introducing Maggey
seems like a valid enough reason to acknowledge AA2's first case.

Plus I don't think Japan hate Turnabout Big Top as much as the west seems to.
Besides the puppet wanting to marry Regina, and getting penalised for Moe's jokes,
it's not even that bad. And the anime format gets rid of one of those issues. I see no reason for them to skip Big Top.

Nohar

... Hum... I'll refrain from judging that adaptation until more episodes are released. I'll just say that the first episode was rather bland (well, the first case of the AA was just a tutorial, nothing interesting, so it doesn't help). I hope there will be better build-up and better music in the following cases/episodes.

Cases 1-1 and 2-1 aren't interesting. Let's hope they will skip 2-1 altogether (sorry Maggey). 1-3 should be fun, at least. As for 2-3, this case may actually be more enjoyable to watch than to play, so let's wait and see.

I wonder if they will adapt 1-5 though. That original case was great.

FluxWaveZ

It was strictly "alright." Not amazing, but it got the job done. I really appreciate the alt. track. The 3D models looked quite poor, but this is obviously working on a relatively low budget.

The trial didn't feel as compelling as in the game, despite it being the tutorial case. The use of music definitely didn't have much oomph behind it, especially compared to the game. It's weird that despite what it felt was a bland and slow pace, it kind of felt rushed at the same time. Cross-examination went super quickly; it's a lot of information for the viewer to take in at once when they don't have the help of a Court Records menu.

I liked how they showed what actually happened in the case visually at the end, which is something the games don't necessarily do (though they explain the larger picture once everything is over well).

Opening had some stuff going for it, but not a fan of the running motif. I don't get that ending at all.

Looking forward to future episodes. Overall, I can say that this is pretty much what I expected from the show, or maybe even slightly better. They should have just used the music from the games, 'cause what they used wasn't memorable at all so far.

FluxWaveZ

I would have liked to see more figurative visual craziness/flair during the courtroom trial. They've always been depicted as dynamic battles, in a sense, and even the OP goes for some of that with the chains that bind Phoenix and Edgeworth. To add more energy to these "fights" and approach the feel that players have when actually playing the games, I would like to see more scenes like when Sahwit pointed towards Phoenix and a huge gust of wind pushed him back.

I think a lot of what made the Ace Attorney movie worked was that the courtroom scenes were totally insane. Huge computers twisting and turning, throwing evidence holograms at each other... It was absurd in a way that actually brought it closer to how the games feel, and not farther.

The courtroom depiction in the anime so far is a lot drier and more to-the-point than the games are, and I think visual flairs would help that a lot.

Sölf

Yeah, it didn't help that 1-1 is extremely boring and short and just outright shows you the murderer. Heck, case 2 does the same, but it's still more interesting. 2-1 can be skipped, it adds absolutely nothing to the overall plot of that game. I think 2-3 could also safely be skipped. I actually thought 1-3 could also be skipped, but then I remembered that we get introduced to the Steel Samurai in here and that's rather big, if we take 2-4 into account (and several other of Maya quirks and so forth).

I think the runtime really threw off the pacing of the first case. A lot of segments felt super rushed so they could fit the entire case into one episode. Hopefully later cases, being multi-part affairs, can find a more natural pacing.

D-Man

Just finished watching the first episode. I liked it. Animation wasn't as bad as it could have been, the music was decent (wish we could hear more of the remixes though), the expressions were on point, and it was just pretty fun to watch. The intro is anime as hell but it's alright. I'm just glad that this series finally gets to hit a whole different type of audience.

Not
Looking forward to the next episode. Can't wait to have my heart broken all over again.

MrBadger

I think the runtime really threw off the pacing of the first case. A lot of segments felt super rushed so they could fit the entire case into one episode. Hopefully later cases, being multi-part affairs, can find a more natural pacing.

I'm sure the pacing will be better when they start covering bigger cases over multiple episodes. I don't imagine anyone wants to spend more than one episode on the first turnabout, even newcomers to Ace Attorney.

Some references to future cases/games in the opening sequence: https://twitter.com/momo13265/status/716210159706644480 (Spoilers, obviously)

I also noticed the
jumper that Dahlia gave him in a box at the start. One wonders why he'd keep that...
Also, those are interesting references considering
I was under the impression the anime was about the first 3 games, yet Trucy and the DD robots are there.

massoluk

Banned
Hmmmmmmm not that good of an episode. May be they stuck too close to the game? May be it's because I already know the first case and that's it's the tutorial, but the execution wasn't terribly exciting.

May be more Courtroom music would have help the mood?

Luigi87

One thing I did like is how among all of the moving boxes at the start, you saw the <3 shirt of his from the third game.

L00P

Just watched it...

I love the series, but the quality of this show is shit. It's not doing the franchise justice. I hope it improves in the later episodes, though I doubt it v__v

Episode 1:

So they "animated" the first case. With almost the entire episode being in the courtroom, nothing interesting here. Nothing fun. I'll give it maybe... two more episodes before I decide whether I'm dropping it or not.

Quality aside, I didn't think it was just bad. It really is just cut paste and renanimate job but it was decent. I chose to view with localised subs just so I'm at least getting some localised humour from it.

Ace Attorney 1

zYNf4uP.gif

Nice there are alt subs

This episode was on cruise control. First case was boring, but it was in the game as well. Shame Mia is only alive for one episode.... for a while. We only got her in one boring case before we Segway into Maya and her bad luck.

First episode was pretty much what I expected. The 1st case was the most boring in AA1 and they didn't even keep the throwing hair gag in the anime. Let's see how it does going forward.

I'm glad that they included an option for the English names, since that seemed to be bothering a lot of people. I could've let it slide but its better with the Eng names. But they aren't even trying to say its not set in Japan, lol

But the actual show? Quite possibly the blandest and most sterile adaptation of all time. Capcom put more effort into Street Fighter V's launch.

PK Gaming

-The OP is bad. Really, really bad. It's cheap and there's no cohesion... just a bunch of random scenes strung together with an abrupt ending.
-Larry's voice
-The music is off. The pre-trial music should be tense as hell, not relaxed and happy go lucky (the opening straight up felt like a slice of life anime) and some of the trial songs are off.
-The anime ends up coming across as low energy as a result of the above. Really, the music is this anime's worst offense.
+Thankfully, the cross examinations were solid
+Good usage of the game OST
+Phoenix being blown backwards after being rebuked by Sahwit was amazing, tbh. I want to see more of that.
-Larry's voice.

Also it looks like they tweaked Phoenix's backstory?
He claims that he became a lawyer because of Larry, not Edgeworth.

6/10, could have been worse. Pretty excited for the next episode since Case 1-2 is godlike

MrBadger

Also it looks like they tweaked Phoenix's backstory?
He claims that he became a lawyer because of Larry, not Edgeworth.

In the game, he becomes a lawyer because of Larry and Edgeworth.
What happened was fairly accurate to the game.

PK Gaming

In the game, he becomes a lawyer because of Larry and Edgeworth.
What happened was fairly accurate to the game.

I thought
AA3 revealed that he became a lawyer to save Edgeworth? I guess it's been a while since I played AA1 though

FluxWaveZ

I thought
AA3 revealed that he became a lawyer to save Edgeworth?

I think you might be getting the origin story confused. What this episode depicted is 100% accurate, and what Phoenix says in the game itself during case 1. He became a defense attorney in part because of Larry Butz, and the rest will be elaborated on later (teased during the flashback scene during this episode, actually).

Actually, Takumi stated that half-way through the anime there will be an original "episode" dedicated to the scene that pushed Phoenix to become a defense attorney.

What a boring and lifeless adaptation.

It honestly just looked a Let's Play at times, with the text boxes and everything. Just completely unambitious.

To say nothing of the relatively poor animation quality, the facial expressions being mediocre at best, and just lifeless direction throughout the whole episode.

You know what, I really enjoyed this first episode. I've got nothing but love for Ace Attorney, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The animation isn't spectacular, the intro is bad, but what I'm seeing feels pretty faithful to the games. Nothing offended me. The whole thing is just as silly as the games, and I appreciate that.

I'll be eagerly anticipating future episodes!

Mendrox

Wow. I was really hyped for that, but the bad art, 90s opening, no cornered theme and.. I am really not that picky but Phoenix voice is horrible. I will still watch just for animated cases... aw well why A1 pictures.. why is this your budget anime this year? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom