• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney Anime) |OT| Eat your hamburgers, Naruhodo-kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I can't find where I read the info, but the picture of those characters is right here. (Quick warning: Don't click this link if you don't want to get spoiled about the design of two major characters from the second game.)

Oh, duh, I made a post about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199269928&postcount=3638 (SPOILERS)

So yes, the anime will absolutely cover games 1 & 2. And I'm fairly sure they never mentioned Trials and Tribulations, so that's the info we have right now.

Jay RaR

I'm vaguely curious about this so I'll see this first episode tomorrow if I can.

Wonder if they'll do Rise From the Ashes.

I can't find where I read the info, but the picture of those characters is right here. (Quick warning: Don't click this link if you don't want to get spoiled on the design of two major characters from the second game.)

Oh, duh, I made a post about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199269928&postcount=3638 (SPOILERS)

So yes, the anime will absolutely cover games 1 & 2. And I'm fairly sure they never mentioned Trials and Tribulations, so that's the info we have right now.

Never saw this but I guess that is that.

I'm vaguely curious about this so I'll see this first episode tomorrow if I can.

Wonder if they'll do Rise From the Ashes.

I hope so.

D-Man

I think they'll cover Rise from the Ashes but that case is so damn long that it worries me that A-1 will rush through it.

It falls into the weird hole of being not canon to AA2 or 3 since it directly contradicts them, and then in AA4 Emma is like a totally different character and they barely reference RftA. The AAI games do more to validate RftA then the main line games ever did.

Ema alone makes Rise of Ashes canon and not filler.

It's canon, but was created after the trilogy so they can always go back to it later if we end up getting more.

I've only played the first three games but there is a direct contradiction (lol)
that Edgeworth quit after case 4 when he does lawyer stuff in 5.

I knew about Ema though. Never made much sense to me but I didn't play the game.

Kinda surprised people are so disappointed about the name thing. I would prefer the English names but I never really thought it was going to happen.

Excited. Although the original names will be hard to get used too.

I've only played the first three games but there is a direct contradiction (lol)
that Edgeworth quit after case 4 when he does lawyer stuff in 5.

I knew about Ema though. Never made much sense to me but I didn't play the game.

It was said he never stepped into a Court again after Gourd Lake but that line was corrected for the 3DS version. So Rise is definitely canon.

So Rise from the Ashes might be included as well? Huh.

I don't particularly like that case due to the general disconnect it has from the rest of the trilogy. It's a good case, don't get me wrong, but the sooner we get to Justice for All, the better.

It was said he never stepped into a Court again after Gourd Lake but that line was corrected for the 3DS version. So Rise is definitely canon.

Oh wow, really? Never knew the 3DS version updated things like that. Thanks!

I'm mainly looking forward to the voice casts. I'm really disappointed by Von Karma's voice since it sounds so dull. I always pictured him with a really scornful, arrogant and condescending voice. Still think Norio Wakamoto would've been a dream fit. But going off the pachinko videos, Grant, Franziska, and Godot have amazing voices. Really looking forward to 2-4's characters getting voiced like Engarde and Shelly.

I hope the animation for the court segments don't get too absurd. The Rise from the Ashes vid from the pachinko is the best blend. It's cute and consistent with the imagery they want to convey while also fitting the tone and visuals of the games. I just hope the show remembers that the games do take themselves very seriously at times as well as be silly at times.

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, really? Never knew the 3DS version updated things like that. Thanks!

Careful about spoilers; as indicated in the OP, this is an anime thread, so discussion should be alright for complete newcomers too.

It's going to be REALLY weird seeing names aside from Phoenix, Gumshoe and
Oldbag.

"Lotta Hart"
is one of the best names, but now I'll have to get used to seeing them referred to as
"Natsumi Oosawagi"

Well, on the bright side, if this ends up being bad we could end up with a ton of quality screencaps like the Persona 4 anime

I hope this is good...

Piichan

Banned
First episode was better than I expected. It is sticking veeeery close to the game though, it even uses the games text boxes and other interfaces from the game. Kinda makes me wonder what's the point of making this into an anime if it's so similar to the game, down to the presentation. It's interesting to see though, and this was just the first episode, so I'm curious about how they will handle the rest of the story.

Really liked the ending credits with Mayoi too.

Kevinroc

It falls into the weird hole of being not canon to AA2 or 3 since it directly contradicts them, and then in AA4 Emma is like a totally different character and they barely reference RftA. The AAI games do more to validate RftA then the main line games ever did.

That's actually not that surprising since AAI almost were games about Ema Skye.

GSR

First episode was... decent. The animation's pretty wonky from time to time, and it's sticking pretty darn close to the game. I did like that they show "re-enactments" of the testimonies and of what really happened. Soundtrack was nice but the balance felt a bit off, and I was surprisingly distracted by how different it was from the game themes (I think it was totally different save for two songs.)

I can't see this being a great intro to the series for a newcomer though. The First Turnabout doesn't have much meat to it in the first place, so compressing it to an anime kinda removes what little impact it has.

Anyway I took a bunch of low-quality caps on Twitter

Also someone uploaded the OP but we'll see how aggressive YTV is

jaina

Reach out to the truth!

I enjoyed the first episode, but there's still some potential. Hope future episodes include some scenes with wrong contradictions, like we probably all have made when playing.

Lusankya

Btw. I was watching the anime on Crunchyroll with German subtitles and there all the localized names were used:

DtN9L3e.png

Qurupeke

I forgot they'd obviously use the Japanese names... And this was a pretty awful OP.

The anime is really close to the games. Maybe a bit too close. Same sound effects, use of text and icons from the game. It even has the confetti when you get the Non Guilty verdict. And while I like how the comedy is in the games, it feels a bit anticlimatic in the anime.

It was a bit better than I expected though and while the animation isn't impressive, it's not terrible.

Gyakuten Saiban - 1

CfCMFrVWEAAOksc.jpg:large

I cannot wait until we get to some of the later stuff with the judge.

That was great. The humour, the expressions, the music, it was all there.

The animation wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

It was ok but it really feels like less brutal than the original game. All the scene ripped straight from Ace Attorney 1 had less impact and overall, I have that kind of impression of watching a random kawai anime with Naruto who cosplay an Attorney. And it's an insult to an Naruto, this guy as a sense of humor. Yes Phoenix is stressed and all but he's still a bit cynical in all situations, in the anime he feels like a shy 14 years old boy

Edit : And the opening is horrible, like REALLY horrible

Dugna

First ep was decent and it seems ok, they kept some of the quirks of stuff. Only thing that felt off was the finish his hair came out alittle quick, where as the game when the villian is caught of somebody is cornered it usually has some sort of build up.

one thing I liked about the ep was seeing how shouting was actually a shockwave that knocks people over, in the game would see things like hair flying off and stuff but think thats just over exaggeration.

Will agree though, the OP was kinda generic as hell.

Sölf

So, were do we discuss the differences between the game and the anime and if the changes were for the better or the worse? Here? In the game OT? xD

The OP is real bad.
The first episode was not as good as I was hoping it would be.
I don't feel like the rest of the show is going to be much better to be honest...

MrBadger

I liked the first episode, but I don't think they quite captured the tone of the cross examination in-game. The calm music and conversation made Sahwit's breakdown feel rather sudden, as opposed to in the game where the music's getting more intense and Sahwit's getting more and more stressed as his testimony fell apart. This didn't really have that.

I like how there's a segment at the end, visualising exactly how the crime went down and judging by how they framed it, that looks like it'll be something every case has. That's one thing Danganronpa has that Ace Attorney can benefit from.

A bit mixed on the music. I'm glad some music from the games are present.

munchie64

That's cool of Crunchyroll to have a track with the English names.

I enjoyed that, but a lot of the tension seemed to be taken out. Hopefully that will improve when trials have multiple episodes. The facial expressions were on point however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom