• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

I was thinking about this for awhile today but I think changes actually kill a game and dont keep it fresh.

Think of CoD like a Madden of FPS. Yea it stays the same gets a fresh coat of paint. People are fucking drawn to it for some reason. It attracts fans and doesn't change from this core game that it has.

Halo changes constantly. Its pissing people off through each iteration when it fucking worked way back in the day. It didn't NEED anything. It needed no change. Guns/Melee/Nades triangle in Arena style maps, with casual BTB on the side available would have worked forever.

Think about it hard.

But to give Halo 4 a 2 is just fanboyism. Its at least a 6-7. Its glitchy as fuck and not really fun or innovative in anyway. Campaign is so boring. Unless you are a Halo fan, Halo 4 won't last. Theres a ton more interesting games out there.

FyreWulff

Certain Affinity really hit out of the park with Dominion. Really fun gametype.

Dominion Fun-ness power rankings:

1. Exile
2. Vortex
3. Longbow
4. Meltdown

GhaleonEB

Its not just the jip, the lag is crazy. A good 25% of my matches I wind up skipping all over the place from lag. Split screen online is forget it.

I had an amazing sequence in the trenches of Meltdown, where eight or so players all converged...and then a Ghost plowed in, and the one of our Ghosts, and then a Warthog. Naturally, the game was laggy and I was already rubber banding. But apparently so was everyone else. For a good 20-30 seconds we were all running around in a circle, tossing grenades, Ghosts teleporting, bodies flying all over, no one able to land headshots. Pure anarchy.

I came out of it alive, somehow. It's the sort of thing I'd have grabbed a video of, if I could share it.

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a Ghost get tagged with four simultaneous EMP shots from a plasma pistol, one of them mine, followed by at least four plasma grenades. I almost felt bad for the guy. He must not have had the right perk.

Omni

I was thinking about this for awhile today but I think changes actually kill a game and dont keep it fresh.

Think of CoD like a Madden of FPS. Yea it stays the same gets a fresh coat of paint. People are fucking drawn to it for some reason. It attracts fans and doesn't change from this core game that it has.

Halo changes constantly. Its pissing people off through each iteration when it fucking worked way back in the day. It didn't NEED anything. It needed no change. Guns/Melee/Nades triangle in Arena style maps, with casual BTB on the side available would have worked forever.

Think about it hard.

But to give Halo 4 a 2 is just fanboyism. Its at least a 6-7. Its glitchy as fuck and not really fun or innovative in anyway. Campaign is so boring. Unless you are a Halo fan, Halo 4 won't last. Theres a ton more interesting games out there.
Personally, I think that the campaign is the only thing Halo 4 has going for it.

Game definitely doesn't have the longevity that CE, 2 and 3 did though - hell, even compared to Blops II and BF3 it falls short. It's missing something in the multiplayer department... I don't know what, but it's missing. It's like the game is trying so hard to be something it's not, and that just screws it over.

I have fun playing Halo 4 all day, and then I come here and some posts make me doubt my uncertain affinity for the game.
I don't want Halo 4 to become stale, I want it to last! :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Personally, I think that the campaign is the only thing Halo 4 has going for it.

Game definitely doesn't have the longevity that CE, 2 and 3 did though - hell, even compared to Blops II and BF3 it falls short. It's missing something in the multiplayer department... I don't know what, but it's missing. It's like the game is trying so hard to be something it's not, and that just screws it over.

Disagree completely. Oh well!

orznge

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. Game needs some tweaks, but it's a lot of fun and a great update to the series.

I'd probably partially agree with you but I haven't played it yet. If the engine is as decent as everyone's experiences here lead me to believe then it really is not that far off from having a chance at being a great game. I'm doubtful that any meaningful changes will be made to the game's design post-launch though.

Omni

Disagree completely. Oh well!

Oh well! Haha. Just my opinion. No doubt that some people will love 343i's vision for Halo's multiplayer, but I for one miss Bungie's (regardless of what happened with Reach).

Campaign is great though. I have no faults with it at all.

FyreWulff

Oh well! Haha. Just my opinion. No doubt that some people will love 343i's vision for Halo's multiplayer, but I for one miss Bungie's (regardless of what happened with Reach).

Campaign is great though. I have no faults with it at all.

check your pms

Also, the depths of the Extraction gametype just got fairly interesting..

Trey

I could go for Sprint being removed and base speed being increased. I don't actually have any attachment to the feature. Having to choose between getting somewhere with haste, or your ability to shoot, is not exactly an appetizing or gameplay deepening choice. It's just something to do.

I'm not actively against its existence, but I won't shed any tears in the event of its dismissal.

The same reviewer that gave Halo 4 a 2/10 gave Black Ops 2 a 8/10.
What a troll.
GameInformer gave Halo 4 Gold & 9.25 rating.

Didn't mention Campaign theater removal, terminal video content needing being in the game, or lack of enemy A.I. and vehicles variety. Etc.

They only mentioned about adjusting music or something and Firefight being gone... I'd at least expect some sort of legit excuse for their review to give their rating.

Edit: Yet IGN gave an unbiased review and 9.8 rating... Fucking Shocking... Even Kyle Avatared it lol

harmonize

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I am trying so damn hard to like this game, I really am, to the point where I'm sticking solely with slayer pro (which, for some reason, has the lowest fucking population of all the playlists) and a dash of objectives just so I can avoid all the bullshit that both infinity playlists entails. Even then, I have to deal with sprint, instant spawning that completely breaks the team dynamics of the game, random weapon drops, join in progress, and fucking Complex. Without question, I would rather spend the rest of my days playing only Haven, than having to play one single match on Complex. I really didn't think they could do worse than a map like Sword Base. I was wrong in ways I didn't think possible, that transcend the known laws of reality and time to retroactively make me angry with this game before I was even born.

I don't know, part of me wants to wait and see what MLG can do with a playlist, but if they don't have the option of fixing most of the problems with this game, then what's the fucking point? The fans not only enabled most of the changes, they actively asked for it, as seen with how many people can enjoy, let alone stomach, the infinity playlists and Call of Duty-esque gameplay in modern first-person shooters. After logging in thousands of games in Halo 2 and Halo 3, I took the backseat with Reach, hoping 343 would change the course and make a game that focused equally on individual skill, team skill, and map dynamics. Instead, people can fucking see through walls now.

malfcn

And what the fuck is up with them tailing you, waiting for you to die and then moping up the kill? Fucking garbage. 7-17? disgusting. 6-25? Seriously!?! 4-18? How can anyone be that bad?

Ken

Why does everyone hate complex so much? Please explain.

Dominant team can just sit on top of the houses and pewpew at the peasants below while being fed with personal ordnance drops so they can continue their siege upon the downtrodden.

It's also too big for 4v4.

TheOddOne

Reviewers say Halo has not changed at all, fans say everything has changed, and drive-by people go "Omg teh pixels". We live in a strange world. We can all agree that pie and donuts are the best thing ever.

J10

Banned
It's fun going back and rereading all the bullshit said in interviews after having played the game.

http://www.gamingvogue.com/halo-4-is-the-most-expensive-microsoft-game-nothings-even-close/

“One of the first steps was making the game feel like Halo,” said 343 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill.

Josh Holmes added: ”We did a bunch of iteration and test on different ideas really early on, experimenting with new mechanics — many of which didn’t make the cut because of that process.”

Holmes also mentioned that the team values consistency and polish over unnecessary untested features.

“I think for Halo in particular, because there’s a competitive aspect to it in multiplayer, it’s really important to us to keep that consistency,” he said.

“So players can learn a skill, pick it up, and know that they can apply that skill without the game sort of overriding their expectation. And so philosophically, that is something that we really held very dear.”

TheOddOne

Just sounds like vague, boilerplate press quotes for any game. About as specific as passive aggressively pointing it out and laughing at it.
tumblr_mddv12kFWI1rx8lgjo1_250.gif

BURN.

Can't wait until they stop forcing Regicide on us through Challenges.

Enjoying playing CTF without ever bothering to touch the flag. I used to love helping out on flag runs but now I leave that to the suicidal peons.

Top Bottom