• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Arnie

Question: did it take less time for the honeymoon period to wear off in Halo 4, than in Reach? I just moved to University when Reach came out so my time here was limited, and thus I didn't get to see the mass reaction. Obviously I knew the reaction between me and the group I played Halo with, but I was wondering if the reaction was this vociferous, so soon after release?

Conor 419

Banned
I keep rewatching the ending, it's so good OMG.

Edit - I'd like to say there's a potentially good relationship between Sarah Palmer and the Chief in Halo 5/6, but considering 343i have already fucked up that opportunity spectacularly in Halo 4, it probably wont surpass the brief brilliance it had in that cut scene.

def sim

Is Master Chief smart? Sarah Palmer has a bit of a

s5ZSd.jpg

thing going on. It's pretty hilarious in a bad way.

rakka

I've already expressed my extreme disappointment in many aspects of halo 4s multiplayer in the gaming OT only to be hated on by 343 fanboys/those who were never into halo... is it the same in here or do any of you feel that halo mp has been ruined? I've actually popped reach back into the 360 a couple times the last few days.

visuals are nice and campaign is decent enough though.

Halo 4 really has a shallow amount of good maps. Maybe even worse than Reach. For me, on release, I liked these maps in Reach:
Zealot
Asylum
Countdown
Powerhouse

In 4, the only maps I really like to play are Adrift and Haven. I haven't played enough BTB to judge the bigger maps in 4 but as long as BTB in Halo 4 is this aweful, I'm not planning on learning these maps any better.

Halo 4 really has a shallow amount of good maps. Maybe even worse than Reach. For me, on release, I liked these maps in Reach:
Zealot
Asylum
Countdown
Powerhouse

In 4, the only maps I really like to play are Adrift and Haven. I haven't played enough BTB to judge the bigger maps in 4 but as long as BTB in Halo 4 is this aweful, I'm not planning on learning these maps any better.

I disagree. countdown was a shitty map but it just wasn't as shitty as the rest, so it seemed good. haven is a far better zealot. I wouldn't count asylum as it was a forge map.
halo 4 doesn't have many standout maps but they all flow a lot better than reach's maps

Nirvana

Zealot
Asylum
Countdown
Powerhouse

I would say the amount of good maps is the same, but I think the good maps in Halo 4 are better than the good maps in Reach. As much as Countdown, Powerhouse and Zealot were decent maps, only Zealot worked in an Arena style setting and even then it wasn't fantastic. Haven fits the bill perfectly and Adrift works well as well. As for BTB, as much as I'm a bit tired of people voting in Ragnarok, I always liked Valhalla on Halo 3 (even if the over-abundance of vehicles has somewhat spoiled the feeling of holding top hill) and Exile is a fantastic BTB/Dominion map - I really enjoy it.

Overall I think a few map packs, playlists and technical tweaks will make this a genuinely solid Halo game. I just hope they make a Guardian remake...come on guys, it's TIME. Also, the Pit. Those two map remakes would make this game fantastic fun.

I just want to point out that I can't understand 343's decision to put Longbow, Meltown and Abandon (?) all in BTB. 3 snow maps in for one gametype? They only have Exile and Ragnarok to break it up and since it's a remake Exile is the only new map. They should have had some different settings, it gets boring playing on snow maps all the time and none of them are particularly good either; Meltdown has especially bad flow, everyone just ends up in the middle bridge hiding behind cover while the Mantises duke it out. Longbow is alright for BTB, but again, both teams just fight for control of the central base, since it is the best vantage point on the map and it ends up being a constant tug of war for that position.

I disagree. countdown was a shitty map but it just wasn't as shitty as the rest, so it seemed good. haven is a far better zealot. I wouldn't count asylum as it was a forge map.
halo 4 doesn't have many standout maps but they all flow a lot better than reach's maps

I don't know whether I prefer Haven over Zealot. Haven is good, but in my opinion, so was Zealot. Countdown for me was a real mixed bag. If you played against the right opponents, it could be a good map. If you played against campers or Jetpack abusers, the map sucked. But that happens on every map. Jetpack always ruins it.

Overall I think a few map packs, playlists and technical tweaks will make this a genuinely solid Halo game. I just hope they make a Guardian remake...come on guys, it's TIME. Also, the Pit. Those two map remakes would make this game fantastic fun.

I don't think Guardian would work well in Halo 4's sandbox. The map is too small with sprint, plus I don't think it'll sit well with AA's. Imagine Jetpack and Promethean vision on that map.

IHaveIce

Banned
I was thinking about this for awhile today but I think changes actually kill a game and dont keep it fresh.

Think of CoD like a Madden of FPS. Yea it stays the same gets a fresh coat of paint. People are fucking drawn to it for some reason. It attracts fans and doesn't change from this core game that it has.

Halo changes constantly. Its pissing people off through each iteration when it fucking worked way back in the day. It didn't NEED anything. It needed no change. Guns/Melee/Nades triangle in Arena style maps, with casual BTB on the side available would have worked forever.

Think about it hard.

But to give Halo 4 a 2 is just fanboyism. Its at least a 6-7. Its glitchy as fuck and not really fun or innovative in anyway. Campaign is so boring. Unless you are a Halo fan, Halo 4 won't last. Theres a ton more interesting games out there.
very good post. Sadly 343 won't go back to the Halo I loved.

Oh and Complex and Regicide hate ? May I join this ? I hate both of it

Nirvana

very good post. Sadly 343 won't go back to the Halo I loved.

Oh and Complex and Regicide hate ? May I join this ? I hate both of it

I wouldn't call it a 'very good post' but I can see his points...sort of.

I would rather 343 put some effort into the game. If you compare MW3 to BF3 you can surely see the different. One developer put in the effort to make the game fresh and to push the boundaries of their engine with impressive graphical tech, sound design and real time destruction mechanics; these are all things that other developers look at and make them want to up their game. The other developer said 'fuck it, people like this, let's just slap some more layers of the same colour paint on this and ship it'. The graphics weren't improved, the tech stayed the same and the gameplay went unaltered; instead, it was a stagnent reboot of the last two iterations in the series.

This is why I can't appreciate Call of Duty. I played MW and MW2 and had a lot of fun. The core mechanics are incredibly solid and the progression system is genius from a longevity perspective.

Black Ops promised an interesting campaign, one that would challenge the player's idea of war. It did not deliver in the slightest. The storyline was shallow, merely a rip off of Black's (incredibly good) campaign combined with generic movie tripes. The multiplayer was uninspired and felt like a cartoon version of what MW2 had done solidly.

MW3 was, in many respects, just as good as IW's previous two installments, as far as multiplayer was concerned. Unfortunately, it isn't good enough for a developer to make what is essentially the same game 3 times in a row, at least not for me. They pushed the FPS into the stratosphere with MW1, it was brilliant, well thought out mechanics and insanely good gameplay; but that stagnates after a while and at least 343 has the good sense to know that and the balls to take the reigns of a massive franchise and put their own stamp on it (even if you could justifiably argue they are standing on the shoulders of two giants in Bungie and IW's stellar multiplayer experiences). Campain for MW3 was like most FPSs these days, an afterthought and essentially replica of the first two games yet again. The same characters, set pieces, scenarios etc.etc.etc.

I guess at the end of the day, I can understand it, it's a blockbuster. People went to Transformers 2 and 3 for no other reason than they liked the first one and the explosions impressed them. Fine. I get it. But surely we can all agree that without past innovations in FPSs, like Doom, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, gaming would be pretty dull? Both 343 and IW/Treyarch need to decide whether they are going to innovate or stagnate and at least one of those parties is TRYING. Whether they succeed or not is up to the consumers, but I thank God they are at least trying.

/rant - I feel the opposing argument needed to be put forward since everyone is crushing 343 in this thread.

kylej

Banned
Played through half the campaign last night. Not sure if I'm going to do a big ass post about it or not. It's... something.

Last night I had some of the worst games of my life since Halo 4 came out. None of my decisions in combat were paying off. If I thought there was no way i could be assassinated in my current position right after seeing the rest of the team on the other side of the map, wrong. If I didn't pursue a kill thinking they would sprint and circle around to attack me from behind, wrong. The split second I turn to check behind me, player pops back out. Also felt like I was playing against teams with full parties and no randoms much of the time.

My biggest gripes are instant respawns, sprint, and no mercs playlist. I detest having to watch my back every two seconds. Instant respawns only make it worse, and on maps like Adrift, it's awful. Plus, having to stop sprinting to shoot a gun irks me as well. I don't like how long it takes for a shield to start recharging either.

I really enjoy pro slayer, but I've found that a viable strategy for teams with no randoms is to simply hold a position and never move. Even without AA's, it's still hard for a team of randoms to successfully break it up. For a break from pro slayer, I like hopping into BTB slayer, but personal ordnance and vehicles really hamper the matches rather than enhancing them.

EDIT:
It's beautiful.

Seconded! It's clear that certain things that I enjoy in a campaign are completely different from others, but Halo 4's campaign is the closest thing to CE's campaign I've experienced. The graphics really shine, the enemies, while uninteresting to some, give me that nostalgic feeling of being able to meticulously clear out enemies that I had in CE. They are just predictable enough, but not in a bad way, that I can jump in guns blazing and pull of some crazy stuff. Love it.

Nirvana

Last night I had some of the worst games of my life since Halo 4 came out. None of my decisions in combat were paying off. If I thought there was no way i could be assassinated in my current position right after seeing the rest of the team on the other side of the map, wrong. If I didn't pursue a kill thinking they would sprint and circle around to attack me from behind, wrong. The split second I turn to check behind me, player pops back out. Also felt like I was playing against teams with full parties and no randoms much of the time.

My biggest gripes are instant respawns, sprint, and no mercs playlist. I detest having to watch my back every two seconds. Instant respawns only make it worse, and on maps like Adrift, it's awful. Plus, having to stop sprinting to shoot a gun irks me as well. I don't like how long it takes for a shield to start recharging either.

I really enjoy pro slayer, but I've found that a viable strategy for teams with no randoms is to simply hold a position and never move. Even without AA's, it's still hard for a team of randoms to successfully break it up. For a break from pro slayer, I like hopping into BTB slayer, but personal ordnance and vehicles really hamper the matches rather than enhancing them.

Multiplayer definitely has a feeling of urgency all the time now. There is no down time, everyone seems to know where everyone is all the time, which can be frustrating. I'm trying to adapt to it, but it's a pain in Infinity Slayer on smaller maps; I'm enjoying Big Team I think for that reason, you can pace yourself a bit more.

Swarmerr

This game is only tolerable with a full party.

I would attribute this partly to the fact that randoms can get matched up against a full party.

I seriously do not know why this isn't being complained about. No matter how shitty or good the game is (halo 4) it certainly is not fun playing against a full team (all with mics and calling out to each other) while the rest of your random teammates either don't have mics or do not care to communicate.

I think rather than have one mercs playlist 343 should just make every playlist have party restrictions, except for say two. Call these two playlists social and then let the rest of the matchmaking playlists actually work. The second most annoying thing behind playing against a team of 4 while being paired with randoms is being in a party of 4 and facing randoms. When I am partied up with 3 other guys I want to beat another team, not a group of randoms that we should beat every time. I miss halo 3's matchmaking system :(.

I would attribute this partly to the fact that randoms can get matched up against a full party.

I seriously do not know why this isn't being complained about. No matter how shitty or good the game is (halo 4) it certainly is not fun playing against a full team (all with mics and calling out to each other) while the rest of your random teammates either don't have mics or do not care to communicate.
citizenkaneclapping.gif

Talents

Banned

TruSkill.

Play Regicide. Problem
band-aid
fixed.

Or you know, they can just bring back lone wolves? Not an unfair playlist where the king gets constant overshields just as you are about to kill him or damage boosts.

Not like it's unbalanced, the king is waypointed...

So, what is the penalty for when I quit a game?

Quit ban?
Lowering Trueskill?
Nothing?

Quit doesn't count as a loss (I think), and there is no quit ban, so nothing, I guess.

def sim

You guys want a mercenary gametype, like the one found in modern CoD games. I can't say for sure why 343 hasn't included it, but MW and BLOPS do have the benefit of having a much larger pool of players to spread out between game types. Halo's online community isn't exactly small, but who can really say if it's enough to support that kind of playlist.

I should note that mercs on CoD's tend to have a noticeably smaller amount of players in it.

Spawnling

Not like it's unbalanced, the king is waypointed...
Quit doesn't count as a loss (I think), and there is no quit ban, so nothing, I guess.

So.... for the people that don't care about getting credits for their Spartan Rank, the quit function can be used to their advantage. If they know they're about to lose the game, they can just quit and not get a loss on their record.

For the people that do care about ranking up, these people will just lose out on the XP that they would have gained for that game and again, no harm done on their Win/Loss record. This can be repeated infinite times (since their is no "ban).

Well, then.

J10

Banned

There is nobody to complain to about people not using mics other than the people not using mics. You might be underestimating how many players go into matchmaking alone versus how many go in with groups. Matching singles against singles and parties against parties may not be feasible without significantly extending the wait times between matches a large majority of the time. Not saying it shouldn't be a search option at least, though. Too bad you can't set search preferences like Reach, though I never could tell if they worked anyway.

I wonder if it's possible for a game to detect if players have mics in use while creating matches.

You guys want a mercenary gametype, like the one found in modern CoD games. I can't say for sure why 343 hasn't included it, but MW and BLOPS do have the benefit of having a much larger pool of players to spread out between game types. Halo's online community isn't exactly small, but who can really say if it's enough to support that kind of playlist.

I should note that mercs on CoD's tend to have a noticeably smaller amount of players in it.
Just call it social slayer. Problem solved :p When people try and go into it with a party it will say only randoms allowed. lol :)

I've already expressed my extreme disappointment in many aspects of halo 4s multiplayer in the gaming OT only to be hated on by 343 fanboys/those who were never into halo... is it the same in here or do any of you feel that halo mp has been ruined? I've actually popped reach back into the 360 a couple times the last few days.

visuals are nice and campaign is decent enough though.
It's the best Halo I've ever played mp wise, and considering (mostly) minor details seperate the online gameplay between each title I think you're probably nitpicking.

343 is clearly pushing their anti-intellectualism agenda in our game. Another notch off my Halo 4 score.
smuggest.gif

Yeah its odd how dudebro Palmer is considering the Spartans realistically would have to be extremely clever people themselves, I am not liking the brawns vs brains divide going on there - Spartans should be a strong mix of both.

The whole Halsey demonizing and general state of the fiction is strong making me lose interest in Halo from a wider story perspective anyway.

Am enjoying the multiplayer a lot more now that the DMR is becoming more dominant, there is less rock paper scissors going on and more DMR battles which is a good thing. Trying to balance the game around 4 utility weapons was a terrible idea and I think the game has suffered a lot from how situation some of the weapon use is.

I think rather than have one mercs playlist 343 should just make every playlist have party restrictions, except for say two. Call these two playlists social and then let the rest of the matchmaking playlists actually work. The second most annoying thing behind playing against a team of 4 while being paired with randoms is being in a party of 4 and facing randoms. When I am partied up with 3 other guys I want to beat another team, not a group of randoms that we should beat every time. I miss halo 3's matchmaking system :(.

I have been complaining about it a LOT - I wish there was some kind of UI element to tell us who is in a party together, Halo 3 and Reach both let me know if I was playing against a full team or randoms, now I dont even know.

Most often or not though JIP probably puts me in a match against full teams to fill a space left on the losing team lol. JIP is a terrible feature.

def sim

Just call it social slayer. Problem solved :p When people try and go into it with a party it will say only randoms allowed. lol :)

That's how CoD handles it. The point I was trying to make is that it'll probably be more detrimental to the BTB and Team Slayer playlists than it is a benefit for those few who want an unorganized team game.

Yeah its odd how dudebro Palmer is considering the Spartans realistically would have to be extremely clever people themselves, I am not liking the brawns vs brains divide going on there - Spartans should be a strong mix of both.

The archetype they are going for with Palmer is an established one that they are simply bungling up. It's resulting in a clash more severe than it probably is. Hopefully the episodic nature of Spartan Ops allows them to fix this silliness.

J10

Banned
Of all the complaints, saying the game is unpolished is extremely bizarre. Outside of lag I haven't seen a single bug. I think it's also a very well balanced game.

Campaign/Spartan Ops theater missing. Campaign scoring gone. Spartan Ops reusing campaign spaces with redundant mission objectives and poor difficulty scaling. Broken file share searching. No file share/web integration. Inexplicably lost custom game options. Downgraded Forge functionality and build space. Uneven/lackluster sound design. Multiplayer maps with geometry exploits. Large mutiplayer maps with poor framerates. Frequent networking issues in matches with more than eight players. Symmetrical maps with asymmetrical spawning and weapon placement. Poor UI design and functionality in-game and menus. Grenade throwing and Boltshot button glitches. Unpolished.

In matchmaking: Promethean Vision, Jetpack, Active Camoflage, random ordnance, personal ordnance, Scorpion tanks, Mantis, Banshees, Regicide, Multiflag on asymmetrical maps. Unbalanced.

Or were you talking about graphics and BRs? Yeah, those are awesome.

Swarmerr

The thing is I don't want just one merc playlist. I want almost all of the playlists to match parties vs. parties and randoms vs randoms.

Halo 3 matchmaking got this down perfectly. A team of 4 could only play a team of 4. Randoms or groups of two could be matched up against each other. The only thing I think that could of been done better was how teams of 3 were matched up against each other. A team of 3 would always face another team of 3 but, sometimes, each team would get an extra random added to there team. I would prefer just having a 3v3 game with no extra random added. Finally, in these playlists the max party size was as big as the max team size for the playlist. The beauty of this feature is the elimination of exp boosting, etc.

Instead of having a merc playlist just add the above to already existing playlists and the problem is solved. If people want to go in as a team of 4 and face randoms make a playlist hopper labeled social with social infinity slayer and social objective as playlists and the problem is solved and everyone wins.

Reach and halo 4 have done multiple things wrong in regards to matching randoms and teams together.

1. Randoms (or groups of 2) can face teams.
2. Teams of 4 can face teams of 3 and vice versa.
3. Parties can be as large as the amount of max players allowed in the playlist or greater than an individual team size. For example, a party of ten people can play capture the flag, koth, etc. (allows for boosting parties, which, 343i seems to have a great distaste for seeing how visual skill based ranks are not, atm, a possibility...) A party of 8 can do the same thing as well and search in a 5v5 playlist.

At the very least give players a search option to recreate the halo 3 matchmaking experience.

There is nobody to complain to about people not using mics other than the people not using mics. You might be underestimating how many players go into matchmaking alone versus how many go in with groups. Matching singles against singles and parties against parties may not be feasible without significantly extending the wait times between matches a large majority of the time. Not saying it shouldn't be a search option at least, though. Too bad you can't set search preferences like Reach, though I never could tell if they worked anyway.

I wonder if it's possible for a game to detect if players have mics in use while creating matches.

I notice that when I am partied up with a team we tend to face lots of randoms more so than full parties. It makes matchmaking... boring, to say the least. I feel with halo 4's current matchmaking I have two options; one I can choose to be very frustrated and search by myself or extremely bored and search with a full party.

I would be okay with the bolded.

Also, unless I am mistaken, I do not believe there was a search preference in Reach that matched parties to parties or randoms to randoms.

Finally, when CSR comes out in the new year, I hope teams cannot face randoms in the playlists that contain the skill based rank. Otherwise, the CSR for some people will be very skewed and not representative of their skill in the least.

J10

Banned
Nah, there weren't any party search preferences in Reach, but it had stuff like chatty vs quiet, team players vs lone wolves, and you could set match preferences to skill or good connection. Halo 4 doesn't have any of that stuff.

Gazzawa

Nah, there weren't any party search preferences in Reach, but it had stuff like chatty vs quiet, team players vs lone wolves, and you could set match preferences to skill or good connection. Halo 4 doesn't have any of that stuff.
That stuff was shit anyway. Took forever to find a game.

TheOddOne

Campaign/Spartan Ops theater missing. Campaign scoring gone. Spartan Ops reusing campaign spaces with redundant mission objectives and poor difficulty scaling. Broken file share searching. No file share/web integration. Inexplicably lost custom game options. Downgraded Forge functionality and build space. Uneven/lackluster sound design. Multiplayer maps with geometry exploits. Large mutiplayer maps with poor framerates. Frequent networking issues in matches with more than eight players. Symmetrical maps with asymmetrical spawning and weapon placement. Poor UI design and functionality in-game and menus. Grenade throwing and Boltshot button glitches. Unpolished.

In matchmaking: Promethean Vision, Jetpack, Active Camoflage, random ordnance, personal ordnance, Scorpion tanks, Mantis, Banshees, Regicide, Multiflag on asymmetrical maps. Unbalanced.

Or were you talking about graphics and BRs? Yeah, those are awesome.
This only proves that you only looked at the grades and did not even read the text. GG by the way, most of the missing features where discussed in reviews. Heck Edge destroyed the multiplayer. Also, glitches happen in every game. There is no way to avoid them with such a big game. Whatever though, rage will always win regardless of reason.

343 deserves all the shit they are getting, but fuck I hate it when people get irrational, illogical and outright dumb and grasp at straws.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Played through half the campaign last night. Not sure if I'm going to do a big ass post about it or not. It's... something.

We actually damn near finished it, we only have 3 missions left.

Juices getting round house kicked by that box the elite shot at him was fucking hilarious.

def sim

That stuff was shit anyway. Took forever to find a game.

Understandably so, considering it has to match your preference by four factors including region. As I said before, CoD games have a much bigger pool of players to search from and still has trouble attracting them to its "lone wolves" team playlists. It's never as simple as adding another hopper, they have to consider what it will do to the amount of players in the other playlists.

The comparison to Halo 3's more extensive matchmaking options doesn't really work. That game came out in a time where Halo was the biggest console FPS and CoD4 was only a very popular beta with a release date in November.

Top Bottom