• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
well good news for Halo 4: Black Ops 2 is utter shit. I don't understand how the netcode gets worse over time instead of better. There is no good connection game, there is only whether you are on the host's side or not. Combine that with boring weapons and a terrible unlock schedule (I've only unlocked one weapon in the last 8 levels I think), menus that take forever to load, and boring perks and you get my least favorite CoD game of all time, so far anyway. And the maps aren't even good either.
So do you think Halo 4 is gonna win?

Omni

OT: Holy crap. I know remember why I don't drink alcohol all that often. Feel so shit this morning

Tried playing Halo 4 with a few mates last night while 'intoxicated'. Makes the game soooo much fun. Makes me wonder if it's the way 343i intended the game to be played.. haha

Omni

343 have graciously given me a preview of an update they're working on for the X on death issue. They've decided to listen to the community but to also incorporate their revolutionary UI vision as well to set them apart. This was all I could get to show, but it's just one step closer to classic Halo we all know and love.

ZNkxS.jpg

They also brought back the Unicorn vs Wolf motif for red and blue as you can see there. You rock 343.
Hahaha fuck. I was not ready for this

Edit. Sorry about double post, thread moving slower than I expected

well good news for Halo 4: Black Ops 2 is utter shit. I don't understand how the netcode gets worse over time instead of better. There is no good connection game, there is only whether you are on the host's side or not. Combine that with boring weapons and a terrible unlock schedule (I've only unlocked one weapon in the last 8 levels I think), menus that take forever to load, and boring perks and you get my least favorite CoD game of all time, so far anyway. And the maps aren't even good either.

huh BO II is a much better game.

Can't get enough of this game. Playing a shitton of Big Team Slayer, with a dollop of legendary Spartan Ops and Infinity Slayer to mix things up. Arena style slayer isn't my forte, which is weird since I developed my FPS legs with Quake, but its always intense and good to limber up with.

Every weapon feels good, and I can hold my own with everything but the boltshot. Just feels wrong to me for some reason. All the rest are fine - give me whatever and I'll just get myself within optimal range and try to rack up some kills. The only vehicle I feel is a deathtrap is the Wraith. I always have to mentally adjust and aim at twice the height than feels right to land my shots on target. Its just so slow and ponderous and I'm always worried about getting jacked ;P

Just the same I've been digging every level, even Complex which I tend to do pretty well on (don't understand the hate for it yet). My only disappointment there is Meltdown in BTB Slayer (love it in Dominion), as all the matches tend to play out the very same way with a battle of attrition for the top middle base. Guess its time to try to mix things up just to keep it interesting.

And my only AA annoyance so far is Active Camo users that crouch their way to some cave or rock and just sit there, waiting for an easy assassination. Its annoying, and we had half a team doing it in every map last night, but they always lost, and its hilarious to see them break out into the open to try and melee my holograms. Sweet, sweet justice.

Edit: And the AR is awesome for close range and support. Love it.

Akai__

Are you talking about the VGA's? Of course CoD will win for best multiplayer, it's always like that and I doubt it will ever change.

As much as I dislike the VGA's, but Halo 4 has a good chance for winning best graphics, for example.

---

Started to play solo Legendary, cause my UK version arrived, earlier today. Just 11 days late, but hey, it arrived!

You shouldn't try doing the achievment "This is my rifle, this is my gun", while you play solo Legendary. It was a pain, seriously...
maybe I'm just bad in campaign :)

The other level are okay, not too easy and not too difficult. It's fun! :)

Will probably stream tommorow, now that my game is fully on english and you don't have to listen to the german announcer.

I agree with you 100 percent. I haven't gotten much practice with it due to work (I know, I know, it's all I talk about anymore) but I'll start using it sunday night.
I think the AR is perfect. It's fun to use, powerful at short range, but useless at anything approaching long range. The DMR still dominates in 80% of encounters.
It could be because i haven't had enough DMR/AR encounters, but I'm doubtful about the DMR's ability to combat the AR from mid to close range. The AR has been uber strong from the times I've been killed by it, even a decent distance away.

I'm fine with people who like it, but I find it crazy that people who like to knock CoD, and get mad at 343 for making Halo 4 too much like CoD, can honestly say they love the AR. RIP Halo, you've become too much like CoD, but oh man i really love the assault rifle. That's so contradictory to me. I have a lot of opinions though, so I can't really fault anyone though for how they feel.

Ken

Better than leveling and getting background emblem set 9 to thank you for your grind.

Better than leveling and getting background emblem set 9 to thank you for your grind.
Whose idea was it to have the game notify you about unlocks two or three ranks away while *not* letting you know the stuff that just became available to equip?

Its bass ackwards, and had to have been done on purpose. Its annoying to find out two ranks later that I could have equipped some armor the game let me know about ages ago when I couldn't use it.

you don't even get emblems that quickly either

The only things I'll say for BO2 is that the sound design is great. Weapons sound good, and when they're far away they sound like weapons that are far away. Great work there. And the campaign is pretty cool. Multiplayer is just a mess though

Whose idea was it to have the game notify you about unlocks two or three ranks away while *not* letting you know the stuff that just became available to equip?

Its bass ackwards, and had to have been done on purpose. Its annoying to find out two ranks later that I could have equipped some armor the game let me know about ages ago when I couldn't use it.

Yeah, what was the logic behind this?

Karl2177

What is the logic behind having power ups in ordnance and leaving Camo as an AA?

Also for those that aren't following me on Twitter, I flew past my dick today. lol

Booties

Banned
The only right thing done so far with the ranks are making the rifles cheap. Still, I don't get the point of Barbie point unlocks.

Louis Wu

lol - I just did some math. Trueskill's definitely in use in this game. :)

Last week, I went into Matchmaking with mastrbiggy, Slightly Live, and ncsuDuncan (Daedalius joined us for the last couple of matches, too). I played 16 games with the group.

During this run, I went an astoundingly-bad 136 and 237. It brought my K/D down from about 1.6 to 0.85 or so.

Since then, I've played another 20 games or so on my own - so I'm now getting matched up against people who are more or less on my level. My overall K/D has climbed back up to 1.07. If you remove the 16 games played with GAFfers that night, my overall K/D is 1.4.

Playing with people that far out of my league matched me up against people equally far out of my league, and I died almost twice as many times as I killed.

Playing with people in my rough skill range lets me do a bit better than trade kills, and that makes me happier than getting DESTROYED over and over and over again (even if, as a team, we were winning most of the time).

And THAT'S why I probably won't be playing too much with GAFfers. :(

Tawpgun

Last week, I went into Matchmaking with mastrbiggy, Slightly Live, and ncsuDuncan (Daedalius joined us for the last couple of matches, too). I played 16 games with the group.

During this run, I went an astoundingly-bad 136 and 237. It brought my K/D down from about 1.6 to 0.85 or so.

Since then, I've played another 20 games or so on my own - so I'm now getting matched up against people who are more or less on my level. My overall K/D has climbed back up to 1.07. If you remove the 16 games played with GAFfers that night, my overall K/D is 1.4.

Playing with people that far out of my league matched me up against people equally far out of my league, and I died almost twice as many times as I killed.

Playing with people in my rough skill range lets me do a bit better than trade kills, and that makes me happier than getting DESTROYED over and over and over again (even if, as a team, we were winning most of the time).

Quit job, go pro.

Merguson

Banned
I can't access the Halo 4 servers at all.

Anyone know why?

It seems that my NAT is set as "moderate" to which I tried opening it using instructions from a video which didn't seem to help.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Another reason I go in solo a lot. I know I'm getting in with people my "level" unless of course you get people partying with someone who's running a lobby at my level, while they are at Walshy levels.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I noticed the same things with folks here who are way better than I am. I end up facing other players way better than I am and so I do considerably worse than if I'm playing on my own.

I don't play play Halo because of the game but because of people I'm playing with (and sometimes it's fun to lone worlf it, especially in BTB) and if that means I have a slightly less KD, so be it. :)

Louis Wu

I don't play play Halo because of the game but because of people I'm playing with (and sometimes it's fun to lone worlf it, especially in BTB) and if that means I have a slightly less KD, so be it. :)
lol - the K/D numbers I posted weren't because I cared about KD, but because they illuminate what I was trying to explain.

1.6 -> 0.85 is NOT 'slightly less KD'. :)

Randoms are too infuriating. I'd be fine with it if more people used their damn mics.
Too risky for one's sanity. I would open up out of party chat if I *knew* I wasn't going to be subjected to the bullshit that seems to infect every game online. Until then its friends and friends of friends only, in party chat.

Omni

Not sure if we've already talked about this, but wouldn't it be funny if Bungie's new IP felt more like Halo than 343i's Halo 4?

Harr, harr.

I <3 Bungie. Definitely would jump ship if the multiplayer in their new game is any good. (probably sounds more disrespectful towards 343i than I intended. I'll balance it out for the sake of it... I love Halo 4's campaign! Probably could've used more variety in environments towards the end (Had more than a whole planet to explore but for some reason the levels looked somewhat the same), but overall it's great)

Tawpgun

Too risky for one's sanity. I would open up out of party chat if I *knew* I wasn't going to be subjected to the bullshit that seems to infect every game online. Until then its friends and friends of friends only, in party chat.

I don't get this logic. The people that spout bullshit and are obnoxious are forcing you to ignore the cool people. Which I found there are more of them than anyone annoying.

The more logical solution is to just mute the individuals who are bad.

I don't get this logic. The people that spout bullshit and are obnoxious are forcing you to ignore the cool people. Which I found there are more of them than anyone annoying.

The more logical solution is to just mute the individuals who are bad.
I agree its a bummer, but it doesn't take much to bring down a mood and I don't want to have to deal with identifying the right players and muting them (often) when I could just be having fun playing the game.

Who the hell balanced Exile? Red team gets a two-story, huge base and spawns right next to a tank and the blue team gets a tiny one-story shack. That seems fair

Tawpgun

I agree its a bummer, but it doesn't take much to bring down a mood and I don't want to have to deal with identifying the right players and muting them (often) when I could just be having fun playing the game.

They really affect you THAT much? I get that some people don't like dealing with trolls on LIVE, but it shouldn't affect you so much you can't take it even for 5 seconds.

And sometimes its fun to play along.

Omni

I've been thinking... and I really hope that 343i doesn't bring back the DMR in Halo 5. In my opinion, it breaks the classic Halo gameplay that we all love. An insanely accurate weapon with a 3x scope only serves to make players reluctant to leave covered areas (I'm looking at you Valhalla 2.0. Map is completely ruined because of the DMR).

The hitscan BR doesn't seem that bad though. While you might be pinged every now and again, you'd be lucky to be killed by it at long range.

Sadly I feel as if 343i's mentality is to shove as many weapons into the sandbox as possible. If it does return in future games, I would hope that it's balanced to be more like the Carbine (which I always thought that it should've been)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
l1.6 -> 0.85 is NOT 'slightly less KD'. :)

I wasn't thinking you worry about KD, just the experience. I'm just saying I can have fun even when I'm getting the crap kick out of me as long as the banter is good.

The way I see it, I help the better players look even better.

Thermite

Good god, Waypoint is such a fucking mess to navigate. I feel like I'm fighting against the website just to see my k/d ratio and other stats. Can you even view your friends' stats?

Karl2177

I've been thinking... and I really hope that 343i doesn't bring back the DMR in Halo 5. In my opinion, it breaks the classic Halo gameplay that we all love. An insanely accurate weapon with a 3x scope only serves to make players reluctant to leave covered areas (I'm looking at you Valhalla 2.0. Map is completely ruined because of the DMR).

The hitscan BR doesn't seem that bad though. While you might be pinged every now and again, you'd be lucky to be killed by it at long range.

Sadly I feel as if 343i's mentality is to shove as many weapons into the sandbox as possible. If it does return in future games, I would hope that it's balanced to be more like the Carbine (which I always thought that it should've been)
Or do what I suggested a long time ago and make it a pick up weapon similar to what the SAW is now.

Whats the point of having a shotgun/scattershot when the boltshot is a loadout weapon. The amount of times I've killed a shotgun user with my bolshot or vice versa is alarming.

senador

Banned
I like this game, but I am doing worse and worse each time I play. Not sure what my deal is. Oh well. I'm really having fun with the weapons in this game when I play well. I love the BR.

I have a few complaints now though:

• Fuck Camo AA. Its a fucking joke. Its tough to see in this game, its so frustrating to encounter, and its cheap as hell. I think putting it in a ordnance drop or map pick up would be acceptable, but as it sits now its not cool at all.
  • Promethean Vision isn't quite as bad as Camo, but its still pretty annoying. I'd like to see it nerfed a bit. It should have been like sonar IMO, but at least make its charge take longer and have a shorter use time.
  • Abandon is OK for slayer but sucks for CTF. I wish the map was symmetrical and less crowded. It would have been better if the sides had been expanded out to be more roomy.
  • Complex is shit for Slayer. I hate its layout and that one building...I can't believe it was designed this way. It does OK for objective, but I totally hate it for slayer.
  • Strafing seems better than Reach but its still a bit too slow. I don't think it needs to be drastically changed, but being able to strafe just a bit quicker would be awesome.
  • Lag needs to be worked out but also hit feedback. Sometimes on my end only 2 shots register and I die and the kill cam shows the dude not hitting me. Doesn't make sense. Makes it hard to play well when that happens.
  • End game report needs to be a bit longer. Today I noticed it doesn't even show the end score. I wish it as well as the Service Record were more informative with fewer button clicks.
  • Waypoint. Ugh. It looks cool but it needs some serious help. I want every kind of stat separated out with its own page view. I want a big long game history and I want to know my K/D per game without clicking into it. I want to see all my weapons stats aggregated across all the games. Where's all my medals? Can I really not see all the medal types and how many of each I've gotten? I like that there are so many commendations but what do the levels mean? I'm seriously disappointed by Waypoint stats. I hope they are willing to push forward on that and give me even more, its just not cutting it right now. Too cumbersome, not enough details.

Top Bottom