• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Sai-kun

Banned
If he stops playing Halo simply because it has JIP and yet goes and plays another game that does, then yes. I didn't invent the word.

JIP works fine in Battlefield 3 because the games are so long that nobody gives a shit about joining or quitting, and 32 players a team is so many that 1 person quitting out doesn't affect shit, and joining mid-game isn't too much of a disaster.

The same cannot be said for Halo.

That's great news.

Also, I've been having fantastic dominion matches the last couple of day.

Matches have usually lasted a fair while, not too many PW abuse either.

Exile really shines in that playlist.

But these maps are crying out for BTB objective.

It really is the exact opposite for me. Most of the matches are a borefest. There is no structure to the gamemode at all. You never see teams properly pushing in to capture a base. And if you're trying to capture a base, the enemies will spawn all around you due to the awful spawning.

Plus there are power weapons all over the place which turns the gametype into heavies XL.

I'd much rather see some more focused BTB objective gametypes. I think maps like Meltdown and Vortex could really shine then, because right now, those maps don't do anything for me really. Why make 4 symmetrical (Is Exile symmetrical?) BTB maps without a proper objective playlist for them. CTF, assault (RIP), territories (aslo RIP), KotH and maybe extraction could all shine on these maps, I think. Hopefully, we'll get a proper BTB playlist soon, because the one right now is worse than Reach's

ElRenoRaven

JIP works fine in Battlefield 3 because the games are so long that nobody gives a shit about joining or quitting, and 32 players a team is so many that 1 person quitting out doesn't affect shit, and joining mid-game isn't too much of a disaster.

Exactly. For larger games with higher player counts that last more then a couple minutes it's fine. That was a great example of a game it worked with. Another would be a game like RTCW when it was on PC. You had up to 64 players and some games could last hours depending on the map. Those are the types of games it works for. It then doesn't help that in Halo it's broken. It's starting games with 4 or 5 on 2 or 3 or even for some 1 person on the other team.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Turkey farts aren't any good if they aren't fresh.

I've got them stored in my rectum. I'm cool like that. They are also compressed between Turkey Chili and 4 servings of Whey protein.

GOML.

Especially those 200% ticket games.

BLEH

You can still join BF3 at the end of a match just before losing. Thats the whole argument why he doesn't play Halo. This doesn't apply in bf now? You don't lose when joining at the end of a losing match in that game? Come on, seriously. Its as if you people live on a different planet.

Talents

Banned
What? He was acting like a child.

If you're mad because I said the game is trash, then fine I'll rewrite my feelings.

The core is better than Reach, needs better playlist management, blahblahblah. :)

Don't you get it? It's ok for him to act like a child because he made part of the game. That makes him automatically superior to everyone else.
/sarcasm

It really is the exact opposite for me. Most of the matches are a borefest. There is no structure to the gamemode at all. You never see teams properly pushing in to capture a base. And if you're trying to capture a base, the enemies will spawn all around you due to the awful spawning.

Plus there are power weapons all over the place which turns the gametype into heavies XL.

I'd much rather see some more focused BTB objective gametypes. I think maps like Meltdown and Vortex could really shine then, because right now, those maps don't do anything for me really. Why make 4 symmetrical (Is Exile symmetrical?) BTB maps without a proper objective playlist for them. CTF, assault (RIP), territories (aslo RIP), KotH and maybe extraction could all shine on these maps, I think. Hopefully, we'll get a proper BTB playlist soon, because the one right now is worse than Reach's

Quiet, you!

HaloGaf betrayer...

So im playing the Black Ops 2 campaign and I hear:

"Egghead".

Wtf!?? How!??

I dont care, Halo 4 and Blops2 was made by the same company, its all a conspiracy.

TheOddOne

kiss-my-ass-gif.gif

Ryaaan14

Banned
I've got them stored in my rectum. I'm cool like that. They are also compressed between Turkey Chili and 4 servings of Whey protein.

GOML.
I was about to make a post telling you to just rip one in some Tupperware and let it condensate in the fridge but then I realized that would be distasteful.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is....is that what they sound like?

Kind of, and it depends on fiber ingestion for the day.

Sometimes it sounds like a 155 fired out of a howitzer.

I was about to make a post telling you to just rip one in some Tupperware and let it condensate in the fridge but then I realized that would be distasteful.

Or would it be TOO tasteful?

I'll let you ruminate on that.

phew beat Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. been meaning to get back to that for ages. great game.

Soon as I finish this Hitler movie reaction paper I'll be droppin' back in dat stream.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A wild kittens appears!

You should get on for some Halo tonight OH WAIT
I'm feeling pretty torn on the game. There's so much I don't like about it, but there's some stuff I do like, and I miss playing with HaloGAF. So, I dunno. Maybe sometime soon. I don't see myself playing the game regularly, though. Taking another break from serious gaming sounds nice. There's a lot I want/need to get done in the next year.

Ghaleon, you can never play any mutliplayer games ever again. Ever. Unless you want to be a hypocrite...
Hey asshole, want to play tonight?
If he stops playing Halo because it has JIP and yet goes and plays another game that does, then yes. I didn't invent the word.

Just give it up man. Nothing will get through to you. That much is apparent.

Now, on the topic of Ellis's tweet (the informative one, not the immature one that no real professional would consider sending out to the world) regarding JiP fixes. I had saved this for a future, longer, more all-inclusive post, but the timing feels appropriate. We were told before launch that there were mechanisms in place to make sure that you wouldn't be matched into games that were nearing their end (final minutes) or were very lopsided. This is what I was referring to when I said lied to our faces previously (not Talents' link, which Ellis called out).

Some here are in denial that it happens at all, some say it's very rare, etc. *In my experience*, unless you go in with a full/fullish group, this happens quite literally every other game. Even in FFA, which *totally* needs JiP...

As an anecdotal piece of evidence, I'd like to put this out there to join the dozens others have already posted since launch of the many issues with MP in this game. mastrbiggy and myself were searching Team Snipes as a TO2 this week. Got JiP'd into uneven matches 3 times in a row (we stayed and barely won 2 of them), then near the end of our playsession, this travesty took place.

This is the kind of crap that happens all too often (and as we were told pre-launch, shouldn't happen at all) and better be fixed soon, hopefully with this update. I was on Team Trust/Hope before launch and ever since I have drifted to Team Disappointed/FuckThisShit. I'm running short on patience for broken promises.

Sai-kun

Banned
Especially those 200% ticket games.

BLEH

200% ticket games are EVERYTHING you cunt
<3

You can still join BF3 at the end of a match just before losing. Thats the whole argument why he doesn't play Halo. This doesn't apply in bf now? You don't lose when joining at the end of a losing match in that game? Come on, seriously. Its as if you people live on a different planet.

Sure, but JIP has much, much less of an effect on the overall game mood than it does in Halo, unless you roll like my buddies and I did and slowly take over servers for a couple hours back when the game first came out. (there were seriously like 50 of us that would just slowly creep into servers, a few at a time. Shit was hilarious. "Why are there 40 people with the same tag?")

Listening to your Awakening remix again. Good stuff.

ElRenoRaven

<3

Sure, but JIP has much, much less of an effect on the overall game mood than it does in Halo, unless you roll like my buddies and I did and slowly take over servers for a couple hours back when the game first came out. (there were seriously like 50 of us that would just slowly creep into servers, a few at a time. Shit was hilarious. "Why are there 40 people with the same tag?")

You know though that's why JIP works for games like that. They have servers. You find one you like and you join and play till all hours of the night. Hell in RTCW I played all the time on the Happy Penguin servers. There was one that had a map called TANK. I remember several times you could play 4 plus hours on that match, log off for the night, then come back the next morning and that very same match would still be going on. I'm not kidding either. Then after you joined again you could play that same match for another 3 to 4 hours. It was epic as all hell. Some of the best times I had playing that game.

<3

And Halo4 is not better off with JIP if you compare it to oh lets say Reach? Is that a reason to stop playing a game? Cause every once in a while, you'll join a game that's practically finished that one of the teams happens to be losing? JIP might not work perfectly right now, but Reach (or 3) not having it was a disaster. I couldnt even get any full games anymore near the end. It was pathetic. Thats a reason to stop playing a game. Not a feature that helps it.

ElRenoRaven

That was a fun read.

JIP is here to stay, don't blame 343. Blame the current gaming society since it's exploded beyond the "hardcore gamer".

Here's my salt and venom.

Oh I'll agree with you. I myself can take it or leave it. I don't like it but I do realize it's here to stay. However I do think that if it's going to stay around and no option will be given to people then at least fix it to where when you join a game it doesn't start you before it completely fills up again. That would at least allow both sides to have a fighting chance and fair numbers. I also think that would make it bearable for a lot of people.

CyReN

Oh I'll agree with you. I myself can take it or leave it. I don't like it but I do realize it's here to stay. However I do think that if it's going to stay around and no option will be given to people then at least fix it to where when you join a game it doesn't start you before it completely fills up again. That would at least allow both sides to have a fighting chance and fair numbers. I also think that would make it bearable for a lot of people.

Yea it should be fix for sure, and have a toggle for those that don't want it.

My number 1 issue with Halo 4 is options/toggles, there aren't any.

DeadNames

Banned
Yea it should be fix for sure, and have a toggle for those that don't want it.

My number 1 issue with Halo 4 is options/toggles, there aren't any.

I agree with all of this.

ALL OF IT. Really goes to show how many bugs/glitches are in this game.

Did they even test it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. Sold my copy to my roommate. I guess I'm an asshole now.
Hah, yeah, I'm probably going to sell my Xbox to my housemate. That way I'll be able to play occasionally still.

I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL, but I dunno. I'm pretty happy just playing my DSi and GBA.

That was a fun read.

JIP is here to stay, don't blame 343. Blame the current gaming society since it's exploded beyond the "hardcore gamer".

Here's my salt and venom.

I don't mind JIP, it just doesn't work properly right now. However, It would be nice to see a more classic hopper with classic settings and no JIP.

In fact, I'm not bothered by the new stuff. I find the game fun (with the exception of a handful of issues), but I was really hoping for a purist throwback hopper. Somewhere where I could get that Halo fix that I've known for many years. Perhaps in the future.

heh. Was watching this the other day:

"I'm not sure I'm on the pulse of what people want out of a Halo game"

Probably not. I'd think most don't care for what works in a tournament setting. Many do, and many don't. Its a mixture of competition and the equivalent of golf for modern online gamers. Its a balance.

Which is why I though Reach had a great idea with Arena, and would still like to see it return. Make one area in the game where ultra competitive balance is held paramount, even if half of the game's new bells and toys have to be stripped to achieve it. I thought it would make for a much richer competitive environment while also allowing the other playlists to develop on their own.

Top Bottom