• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Haha, am watching more of this. What the holy hell is u4iXXX talking about? Yeah, I guess it would suck if somebody made a new testament to the bible. Yup. lmao.

Spartan Ops trailer is interesting. Looks good
There was a line in it from last week's episode no? "Now we let the war criminal touch things?". First they re-used environments, now this?!

Yes, I kid.

Karl2177

Hah, yeah, I'm probably going to sell my Xbox to my housemate. That way I'll be able to play occasionally still.

I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL, but I dunno. I'm pretty happy just playing my DSi and GBA.

Yeah, it's a solid plan. My roommate has a gamertag, but doesn't like to pay for Live, so I get the gamerscore for stuff he plays. It was a neutral solution for the both of us, since he still wants to play it.

Halo 4: Behind the Scenes of $3 Billion Blockbuster’s New Chapter
By Neal Karlinsky, Brandon Chase and Dan Przygoda

Take big cameras, big special effects, a music score by a full orchestra recorded at Abbey Road studios in England, world-class artists and a crew of hundreds, and what you get is the lead contender for the year’s biggest entertainment blockbuster.
Not a movie — a video game.
Halo 4 is the latest in what has become a $3 billion franchise, all based around a sci-fi game played on Microsoft’s Xbox. It’s like “Star Wars” for a whole new generation.
Watch the full story on “Nightline” tonight at 11:35 p.m. ET
Even more surprising, this male-dominated game, about a futuristic, intergalactic war between humans and an alien species known as the Convenant, is run by a hip, working mom from Seattle.
“I think it’s a cultural phenomenon,” studio chief Bonnie Ross said. “I think that it’s beyond a game. I think it’s a beloved universe that fans love.”
The game brought in more than $220 million in just the first 24 hours after its release — eclipsing countless movies. It took years and a massive, though undisclosed budget, to produce a blockbuster like Halo 4. Ross said part of the reason is that games like Halo are not just games.
“You see a movie once at the theater, maybe a second time on DVD or on demand,” she said. “But with a game, it’s your story, and you keep going back again and again, and it’s your story with your friends and so it’s always new, it’s fresh.”
The Halo series tells a multi-layered story with complex characters, which the staff obsesses over down to the smallest detail.
“When you look at a film, a film has three major considerations, which is narrative, drama and presentation,” said narrative director Armando Troisi. “With games, you have this added consideration of interactivity.”
Stage actress Jen Taylor does the voice of an artificially intelligent (AI) character named Cortana, a main character, as well as the cinematic motion capture performance for Cortana’s creator, Dr. Halsey. This isn’t Taylor’s first video game role. She also voiced the character Princess Peach for Nintendo’s Mario franchise.
For Dr. Halsey, Taylor also donned a suit loaded with sensors and captured by a series of cameras to have her body digitally inserted into the game.
“It’s awesome, it’s super fun,” she said. “It’s lovely to go and see all of your work and how it is then manifested by 50 people who take it and then create this beautiful character.”
The visuals in Halo 4 are stunning, often more like watching a movie than a game, and graphic designers slave over every frame. There’s even a lighting department to add light and shadow artificially. All sounds are produced in-house.
“We are crazy perfectionists,” said Halo 4 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill. “Because some of the lighting, not unlike a movie, is about focusing the eye on where you want the player to go or what you want them to notice, so some of it is purely for dramatic reasons, and some of it is to make it look real.”
Between the games, stories, a series of Web TV shows the team has now launched, and possible plans for a movie someday, Bonnie Ross hopes to take the multibillion dollar franchise far beyond Halo 4.
“I feel like our universe and our ability to tell hundreds of stories in our universe, if we do it right, we should be able to tell stories for the next 20 years,” she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...enes-of-3-billion-blockbusters-new-chapter-2/

Posted? There is a video too!

ITT people think that just because you're a game dev you must always be professional 100% of the time on Twitter and you can't post about things that bother you like a normal person that uses Twitter would do.

I'm geometry-complete on my first run at an Avalanche-inspired map (see: remake) on Ravine—which I'm calling "Rocksteady"—but I'm feeling a little torn on the vehicles and weapons to put on the map. In terms of vehicles, the Hornet is gone, 343 already removed the Banshee from Ragnarok in CTF and the Gauss Hog and Scorpion seem a bit much for the likes of Exile. The Mantis and Wraith seem fine, I guess?

With that, I put it to you, GAF:

1) Which weapons would you want to see on Avalanche? Which would you not?

2) Which vehicles would you want to see on Avalanche? Which would you not?

I've currently ripped vehicles, weapons and spawn times out of Halo 3 (sans Hornet), but maybe we're in need of an update.

DeadNames

Banned
Is there something in that thread that warrants the response "Waypoint, why?"? Read the first page and it wasn't that bad?

I thought the "adapt" arguments a la Reach were just used as a joke.

I thought wrong.

And they defend camo saying it's balanced and doesn't need fixing.

ITT people think that just because you're a game dev you must always be professional 100% of the time on Twitter and you can't post about things that bother you like a normal person that uses Twitter would do.

He already responded in the thread. A tweet was unnecessary. It has nothing to do with being a game dev. It has to do with being professional. If you're going to make posts baiting people on twitter, don't tie yourself to the company.

Put it this way, whether he likes it or not, he's speaking as a rep of the company. I know this is the gaming industry and lots of times the PR departments and whatnot are not kept to the same standards as some other businesses. But if I went on twitter where thousands of people can see, representing *my* organization, and was calling out some stupid post by Talents (that I didn't agree with for the record), and my boss saw it, you can bet your ass there'd be an issue.

Omni

I thought the "adapt" arguments a la Reach were just used as a joke.

I thought wrong.

And they defend camo saying it's balanced and doesn't need fixing.

Though to be fair mate, I'd say that some of your comments in that thread aren't exactly stellar themselves. "...BlOps 2 just seems like such a much better made game" How is that relevant at all?

DeadNames

Banned
Though to be fair mate, I'd say that some of your comments in that thread aren't exactly stellar themselves. "...BlOps 2 just seems like such a much better made game" How is that relevant at all?

I was just kinda stating my thoughts.

But to be honest and as much as I love Halo, I feel treyarch really went balls to the wall with BlOps 2

MrDaravon

After playing a bunch of non-BTB the last few days with some friends, I can definitely agree with the Camo and Boltshot complaints now. Neither one is nearly as much of an issue in BTB, but in the smaller playlists (especially Infinity Slayer) they're both serious problems.

Also 2 and a half weeks after launch how are daily struggles with matchmaking aborting, party splitting, and uneven teams still constantly happening? Good lord.

TCKaos

I'm listening to the newest episode of Social Skirmish, and I'm getting angry with everyone, because today is day 17 of Halo 4. The Reach Beta lasted 17 days.

Think of the shit that's been found since launch, and think of the fact that almost all of that would have been fixed.

Let it sink in.

u4iX

Haha, am watching more of this. What the holy hell is u4iXXX talking about? Yeah, I guess it would suck if somebody made a new testament to the bible. Yup. lmao.

Not sure if you didn't get or or what... But I'm saying that with each Halo game, players get used to a certain set of mechanics, then with each following Halo game that set of mechanics changes, causing divides and rifts in the community, ultimately hurting the franchise.

One could argue that Halo 3 was one of the most widely accepted games between Halo 2 veterans and new Halo 3 players, nobody was 100% satisfied, but the game saw mass appeal because it varied the LEAST from Halo 2's formula out of all the Halo games.

Swag.

I'm listening to the newest episode of Social Skirmish, and I'm getting angry with everyone, because today is day 17 of Halo 4. The Reach Beta lasted 17 days.

Think of the shit that's been found since launch, and think of the fact that almost all of that would have been fixed.

Let it sink in.

We let it sink in, then after 17 days we brought up the issues we would like to see addressed, if not in a Title Update, then at least taken into consideration for Halo 5.

willow ve

Get a party, playing alone is incredibly boring.

Just go into matchmaking... oh wait the matchmaking system for Sparty Ops is locked to the current episode. I really enjoy the content, but playing alone sort of defeats the purpose. Why can't we search for a match in whatever chapter we want?

Kuroyume

Banned
Haven't played the game because of time and money issues, but I've been reading both main threads and it's a shame to see the response to the game.

I have a few questions:

- Is assault really not in the game?

- Is it fun to still fight the covenant? Was watching a Spartan Ops vid on Valhalla and I was bored to tears just watching the grunts do their usual routine.

- General response... What's one thing this game changed for the better in the series with this game and what's one thing that's been changed for the worse?

TCKaos

We let it sink in, then after 17 days we brought up the issues we would like to see addressed, if not in a Title Update, then at least taken into consideration for Halo 5.

8DHuA.gif

This is my flagship franchise, man. Halo is the reason I own a 360. I had to deal with Reach for so long, I don't know if I can deal with waiting that much longer. It's just so disappointing.

These are dark times, HaloGAF.

The one thing I loved most was Halo's matchmaking system. 343 has screwed the pooch on it. I was matched up 4v1 in a KoTH game earlier and then just now 4v3 for till the last 4 minutes in Swat. It also didn't help that they gave the team with 4 the SR63...

TCKaos

Did people camp power weapon spots other than the sniper of Hemorrhage?

Well, there was only the Concussion Rifle, Plasma Launcher and Shotgun after the Sniper. Plasma Launcher lacked range and damage output against vehicles, Shotgun was only good for camping bases, and Concussion Rifle was almost completely useless.

There was no other weapon worth camping for on Hemmorhage. Plasma Launcher should have been rockets, Concussion Rifle should have been Pro-Pipe for EMP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
heyguyswhatsgoingoninthisthread
Bad kids are mad that they suck at this game.
Haven't played the game because of time and money issues, but I've been reading both main threads and it's a shame to see the response to the game.

- Is assault really not in the game?

- Is it fun to still fight the covenant? Was watching a Spartan Ops vid on Valhalla and I was bored to tears just watching the grunts do their usual routine.

- General response... What's one thing this game changed for the better in the series with this game and what's one thing that's been changed for the worse?
  • Assault is not in the game.
  • Not really, the A.I. is the weakest in the series too. Covenant should start mixing it up also, I gave an example awhile back:
    Campaign:

If the Covenant are going to stick around in the next games, why not mix it up? I would like to see things like Jackals with Swords darting at me, Elites with Jackal Shields playing up support, suicide grunts with Camo. You get the idea, the list goes on. If this is a splinter faction of the Covenant than why are they playing by the same rules?
  • Better: You can have the weapon you want at spawn.
  • Worse: The Lobby UI.

Fuchsdh

THOSE ARE THE WAYPOINT FORUMS?

WHO THE HELL HIRED YOUR DESIGNERS!?

Seriously, the old forums were a lot nicer looking. This looks so ugly and hard to read.

I think the same brand of Microsoft "make our mobile OS and desktop OS the same" misguidedness has infected Waypoint. It's a pretty decent forum layout on mobile, but it's kind of cruddy on desktop.

Striker

Well, there was only the Concussion Rifle, Plasma Launcher and Shotgun after the Sniper. Plasma Launcher lacked range and damage output against vehicles, Shotgun was only good for camping bases, and Concussion Rifle was almost completely useless.

There was no other weapon worth camping for on Hemmorhage. Plasma Launcher should have been rockets, Concussion Rifle should have been Pro-Pipe for EMP.
Plasma Launcher was great on that map. Until you learned how many projectiles killed each vehicle, it was a little getting used to, but it didn't take long. Best thing about it was there no Banshee, so it taking down a Wraith, Warthog, Revenant, or Ghost wasn't too difficult for one.

Top Bottom