• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

helo

Potentially offering a buying and selling of digital games is pretty great. I wonder who would set the price in such a transaction though and what percentage of the sale price would go the developers/MS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God, the first page :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont know what the point of reselling digital games is. why dont they just freakin lower the initial price?

i dont know what the point of reselling digital games is. why dont they just freakin lower the initial price?

Same thought here. You're not actually selling anything. You're getting a tiny bit of your money back. I'd rather just save some money on the original purchase, like PS+ discounts. I'm sure you'll only get store credit for "selling" your digital games too, meaning it's actually worse than a sale because the money you have left over can't be used anywhere except the store.

Extend the same rights physical disc owners have to digital only gamers? Perhaps it's something they were going to do when they had their DRM plans in place and decided to keep it/push ahead with it instead of abandoning it completely?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haha, why would I ever buy a new digital game when the used one is exactly the same? It's not like physical used games where the disc or packaging might be worn or not all there.

Only thing I can think of is that there would be limited 'stock' of used games. You can only buy a cheaper digital used game if someone has traded it in. If it is global (or even per country) en those are likely to be snapped up pretty quickly, so it might create a buzz around a new title and perhaps even encourage sales of new games - people keep checking th store to look for a $5 cheaper used game, eventually just buy it new.

As for release date - US November 22, Europe December 6th? Europe can live with an early December launch,we've had them before. Christmas is the most important date as we don't have a Black Friday.

Only thing I can think of is that there would be limited 'stock' of used games. You can only buy a cheaper digital used game if someone has traded it in. If it is global (or even per country) en those are likely to be snapped up pretty quickly, so it might create a buzz around a new title and perhaps even encourage sales of new games - people keep checking th store to look for a $5 cheaper used game, eventually just buy it new.

As for release date - US November 22, Europe December 6th? Europe can live with an early December launch,we've had them before. Christmas is the most important date as we don't have a Black Friday.

My guess would be that if you buy the "used" digital game, it's missing some part of the whole (multiplayer or whatever). That way, you'll have to pay the difference to unlock the full game.

My guess would be that if you buy the "used" digital game, it's missing some part of the whole (multiplayer or whatever). That way, you'll have to pay the difference to unlock the full game.

That seems very unlikely. If anything, I think they'll pass the service charge onto the buyer as well as probably charging the seller.

Klocker

Extend the same rights physical disc owners have to digital only gamers? Perhaps it's something they were going to do when they had their DRM plans in place and decided to keep it/push ahead with it instead of abandoning it completely?

Somewhere way back before the 180pocolypse there was an early interview where Harrison or Whitten said something about giving us a way to trade in digital.

Was lost in the drm uprising though

K.Sabot

Implying that you were gone somewhere (like maybe... Gamescom?) probably isn't the best thing to do. For keeping anonymity, that is.

Mrbob

If MS is smart with sales it drives down used game values so low they aren't really worth selling.

NoTacos

There's probably going to be a catch: like online mode is disabled in pre-owned versions.
Wait...... Wtf.

MS could sell you the "used" copy of the game at a discount price, but wouldn't mean they have to include all the features that comes with the original copy like licenses and codes D: They could charge extra on certain games to play multiplayer.

It would be like GameStop: you trade in, find a game you like that's used and hope the codes in the gamecase for dlc or passes aren't used. Except for certain digital downloads, it's almost a given that they will be.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Somewhere way back before the 180pocolypse there was an early interview where Harrison or Whitten said something about giving us a way to trade in digital.

Was lost in the drm uprising though

Huh, I had no idea but it makes sense as they'd need to offer such a service when those plans were in place.

Anyway, I hope it sticks and is eventually implemented. Would love to see others follow suit too. I know Steam were rumoured to be considering this, would be nice if Sony allowed the same but I think they'll go a different direction with Gaikai and Plus.

Xater

So if MS is not going to release the Xbone November 8th these console release will probably be apart 2 weeks at most. That will be crazy.

beast786

What would physical DRM reversal had anything to do with DD resell/trade?

Sweep14

Well Microsoft could always charge a fee for digital transfers like how Steam charges fees for selling on the Market. Could be a potential gold mine.

This is a thing I've been thinking about for awhile. Expect Sony to offer the same possibilities.

davepoobond

but there is no such thing as supply in the digital market. you make exact copies of everything. used physical copies are necessary because there is a finite amount of those games available that are printed on discs

also, what about all the DLC you might get? does it come along with your digital game so it values your copy above others?

why would a dev want this system to even work? the whole point of digital is so that it is a cheap and highly profitable delivery method.

the only benefit i see to this is forcing developers to reduce the price of a "new" digital game more aggressively over time, but how would they really be able to compete when there's a 1000 of the same digital copies flipping over and over? what's their cut here?

Illusion of consumer rights? I guess?

this is the only thing i can guess. microsoft are really so desperate that they have to screw over content providers to please consumers and give sony the big F U? sounds like a huge clusterfuck to me, honestly. but hey i suppose i don't care since i'm on the consumer side ::shrug::

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wait...... Wtf.

MS could sell you the "used" copy of the game at a discount price, but wouldn't mean they have to include all the features that comes with the original copy like licenses and codes D: They could charge extra on certain games to play multiplayer.

It would be like GameStop: you trade in, find a game you like that's used and hope the codes in the gamecase for dlc or passes aren't used. Except for certain digital downloads, it's almost a given that they will be.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The end result - a fully functioning game - would still need to be cheaper used than new for anyone to buy it. And publishers want people online to be microtransacted

I suppose the biggest difference would be that MS would share the revenue of used games between themselves and the publisher - literally the opposite of the retail model where GameStop keeps all the money and MS/publisher sees nothing

So from their perspective if they stop people buying used games at retail they will be happy.

MrGerbils

If Steam can let users sell and trade virtual trading cards for real money, then MS can set up a store to sell digital games.

Alx

Same thought here. You're not actually selling anything.

You're selling a license. Which is the only thing you ever owned.
In some countries (especially EU), you're supposed to be able to transfer any license you buy. So it should even be a requirement for all digital markets.

davepoobond

Used digital games make no sense whatsoever unless they are an inferior product or the same price as new.

i can see this as a possibility. remove the rights to the game to that user's account, give them a little bit of the percentage back, and if they ever buy the game back again they'll have double sold the game to the same person.

if the games are less than new games, that goes out the window.

NoTacos

but there is no such thing as supply in the digital market. you make exact copies of everything.

also, what about all the DLC you might get? does it come along with your digital game so it values your copy above others?

why would a dev want this system to even work? the whole point of digital is so that it is a cheap and highly profitable delivery method.

the only benefit i see to this is forcing developers to reduce the price of a "new" digital game more aggressively over time, but how would they really be able to compete when there's a 1000 of the same digital copies flipping over and over? what's their cut here?
Well you can't really say there's no such thing as supply in digital markets. There is. The supply for unused titles would simply be considered unlimited. There would be an interesting (limited) supply of used copy's after they start the service however. But yes, I also wonder what will happen when there are too many used copies in the market. I guess M$ is out ruling the possibility the market won't flood? :/ That unlimited new title source could prove problematic, which raises an interesting question: would M$ ever consider limiting the number of unused titles available to maintain balance for supply and demand in their virtual marketplace?

Klocker

Used digital games make no sense whatsoever unless they are an inferior product or the same price as new.

The game has been played the value to original owner may be gone. The new person will buy for the value but as mentioned earlier it may have an imposed limited resellabilty at some point.

You are only buying, selling a license. The game to the publishers is just digital data. It is not a physical product to them so production distribution costs are lower and the consumer wins, IT may also keep people recycling games instead of sitting on a digital library and resistant to pull trigger on new games due to a library of games they no longer play. Oh and devs and pubs would get a cut.

SpartanN92

Banned
Needing Gold to sell/buy "used" digital games? F' off.

Jesus Christ dude. All online components of Xbox have been hidden behind a paywall for 10 years, you should be used to it by now. And now Sony is getting in on that action too. Quit bitching. It's not a lot of money.

You're selling a license. Which is the only thing you ever owned.
In some countries (especially EU), you're supposed to be able to transfer any license you buy. So it should even be a requirement for all digital markets.
Nobody has really made the legal challenge for this, a standalone Oracle license is a bit different to a service based license that Steam, XBLA are. Sure you get customer service with Oracle (probably) but it's a bit different to the distribution, social, multiplayer eco system of games. I hope it does get challenged some time soon but it's more muddy than that EU case.

Jintor

Nobody has really made the legal challenge for this, a standalone Oracle license is a bit different to a service based license that Steam, XBLA are. Sure you get customer service with Oracle (probably) but it's a bit different to the distribution, social, multiplayer eco system of games. I hope it does get challenged some time soon but it's more muddy than that EU case.

plus of course it's an EU case, who knows what it means in local jurisdictions

dancmc

It's amazing how fluent some folks are in cboat these days!!! I for one, am lost at least 50% of the time on the original posts. Hope MS des actually implement some cool ideas in the digital marketplace

I suppose the biggest difference would be that MS would share the revenue of used games between themselves and the publisher - literally the opposite of the retail model where GameStop keeps all the money and MS/publisher sees nothing

So from their perspective if they stop people buying used games at retail they will be happy.

This is pretty much the reason. Publishers wouldn't care about GameStops used game resales if they got at least a portion of the price in return. In this case, publishers would still get paid so even if the copy is used, publishers are still getting paid.

davepoobond

This is pretty much the reason. Publishers wouldn't care about GameStops used game resales if they got at least a portion of the price in return. In this case, publishers would still get paid so even if the copy is used, publishers are still getting paid.

it depends on where the user's %age is coming from. is it coming from microsoft's 30% or from the publisher/dev's 70%? or both?

if it isn't fully coming from microsoft's share, then i think publishers have a bigger reason to get angry than not being part of gamestop's resale economy, because they never got a part of that before. they are essentially taking another chunk of their percentage further.

also, wouldn't it influence some people to hold off on buying a game until there were the "used" copies available? it would take another bite out of the pub/dev's profits since more people are buying it for a lesser price where they get a lesser percentage.

neither

Thank goodness for all these cboat translators.
I think it's great they're thinking about the digital reselling stuff.

NoTacos

The end result - a fully functioning game - would still need to be cheaper used than new for anyone to buy it. And publishers want people online to be microtransacted

This is still to be seen. Some used games, (especially recent AAA games) usually go on resale for a fairly high price. If an online pass is required, you could roughly be paying the same price as a new copy anyways.

But, before anyone gets all worked up, I digress: we have yet to see how M$ handles this marketplace. If their resale price is significantly lower than retailers like GameStop, then it could very well be cheaper and thus a better buy overall.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Thank goodness for all these cboat translators.

I really can't fathom that this many people on the forum are simply unable to grasp anything from his posts without someone else doing it for them. Is it really so hard? half the posts are 'OMG TRANSLATIONS QUICK'. Are you guys actually giving it a shot and then going 'it's too hard' or is it more 'do it for me internet' type of mentality?

dancmc

I really can't fathom that this many people on the forum are simply unable to grasp anything from his posts without someone else doing it for them. Is it really so hard? half the posts are 'OMG TRANSLATIONS QUICK'. Are you guys actually giving it a shot and then going 'it's too hard' or is it more 'do it for me internet' type of mentality?
For me it's just amazing how efficient some folks are at distilling out the points.

Honestly, if the Steam Market is anything to go by, stocks won't be a problem.

Actually the Steam Market strongly discourages buying anything from the official store. Why buy anything from the official when they're all cheaper in the market? TF2 keys are $2.50, but the standard market price is $2.00. I don't really follow the Steam Market that much, so I don't know if there's a "universally" agreed item used as currency for trading games around (TF2 keys maybe?).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder how old that digital market place survey is... Is it pre- DRM reversal?

Top Bottom