• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

Pooya

finished the season;

There were some good moments in the season but it was getting really ridiculous near the end. Looking forward to next season still, hopefully it's the last season though.
I'm really tired of Doug's character for one.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well, this was much better than S3, at least.
S1 >>>>>>> S2 > S4 >> S3.

I keep liking Yates, although i'm pretty much alone on that, i think.

Full season:
Meechum : (
Freddy getting mad : (
I hated Claire in S3, but she turned that shit around. It helps that they actually developed her character this round, beyond "Frank's Wife" - Getting people who are first and foremost her secondary characters was a great help.
It also really helped that we saw the show going somewhere - S1 and S2 had clear goals, while s3 felt aimless.
Starting a war is a time-proven method to keep power... but three weeks from the election? Congress ain't gonna let you do that.

Spoo

Just to get some clarity on the ending:

The real goal of starting a war on terror isn't so much to get people to ignore the scandal, but to position Frank, et. al, as the only leader willing to do what's necessary to win said war -- after getting Conway to admit, in front of everyone, during the conference call with the terrorists, that if he could go back in time he wouldn't do what he did when fighting?

The real goal of starting a war on terror isn't so much to get people to ignore the scandal, but to position Frank, et. al, as the only leader willing to do what's necessary to win said war -- after getting Conway to admit, in front of everyone, during the conference call with the terrorists, that if he could go back in time he wouldn't do what he did when fighting?

No, the real goal is to distract people enough to allow them to handle the fallout

I was enjoying the Season really big until the stupid Tom Yates characters got more involved into the story arc.

God it gets really really stupid in last quarter because of his story arc

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

No, the real goal is to distract people enough to allow them to handle the fallout

The goal is to make the American people fear the world/terrorism (something the US and other countries do all the time; ISIS, Al Qaeda, bird flu, weapons of mass destruction, Ebola, etc). This is the reason Frank didn't want the FBI/whoever to stop the live stream of the hostage killing. He wanted the image to be placed in the American's public head.

This way, it will not only distract the American people, but they would also look to the Underwood's to get something done.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Herald doesn't have evidence yet. Just a bunch of testimonies from a handful of people. People who have reason to hate Frank for one reason or another.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Herald doesn't have evidence yet. Just a bunch of testimonies from a handful of people. People who have reason to hate Frank for one reason or another.

That's correct.
All they have is three on-the-record sources for the article and the travel logs.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The widow's husband was the man who Doug prevented from receiving a liver transplant. He became fixated on her after the health secretary sent him a photo of the man's family. Given that the man was seemingly the primary earner for the household and had accrued medical debt, there was a memorial page with a donation option.

Given that she's understanding of Doug's work; schedule; his walled-off personality; and has two nearly-grown children, she's the ideal woman for Doug. I wouldn't be surprised if they get married next season and Doug has the family he always wanted.

Really? I see the exact opposite

Doug is plain and simply an addict. He was a self destructive alcoholic before Frank saved him, and he transferred his addiction from the bottle on to his work with Frank. It consumes him till he is nothing but the job. Frank knows this, and uses him for it. When things at work go bad for him, or somehow his position is threatened- like last season when Seth and the PR guy I forgot comes on board, he needs something else to fill that hole in his life and he transferred that addiction to Rachel. Something about these Brunettes fill some need in him. Probably reminds him of his mother. The creep. Anyway, when Rachel started becoming his new addiction and threatened his main role with Frank, well he removes her. Anyway the signs are all there the cycle is continuing now with the new, thin brunette who kind of looks like Rachel. Lee Ann is threatening his position again, Seth is challenging him, Frank is blaming him, etc... And we see scenes with him going back to the bottle. Almost. In walks this image of another woman like Rachel and he's obsessed with her again. He's transferring his addiction. And it's really scary and creepy and I more fear for her life than I do think this is a happily ever after for anyone... Especially if she starts compromising his work. He only know how to combat his addictions violently.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The later part about freddy saying he hates him is probably too much though, it comes a bit out of nowhere
Not really. It has been something festering inside of him ever since he lost his rib joint. In his mind, Frank never saw him as a friend or equal but merely 'the help'. These feelings only became exacerbated when he became a casualty of the political fallout caused by the spat between Frank & Tusk. Freddy even admits to Remy that Frank was little more than a good customer.

LeleSocho

Banned
The widow's husband was the man who Doug prevented from receiving a liver transplant. He became fixated on her after the health secretary sent him a photo of the man's family. Given that the man was seemingly the primary earner for the household and had accrued medical debt, there was a memorial page with a donation option.

Given that she's understanding of Doug's work; schedule; his walled-off personality; and has two nearly-grown children, she's the ideal woman for Doug. I wouldn't be surprised if they get married next season and Doug has the family he always wanted.

No way dude she's just Doug's new drug and it will end like Rachel all over again

this_guy

The whole Freddy thing was p dumb. Frank was so cool to Freddy and yeah he kinda flubbed the "cook for me" deal, but I saw it at an earnest attempt at making a farewell.

No, that was awesome. It gave us this exchange:

Frank: Call me Mr. President!
Freddy: You're a motherfucker

Outside of that exchange you're right though haha

Dreez

Almost done with season, but does anyone else think the show will end with
Claire killing/sacrificing Frank and becoming President?
Or is that too predictable.

vpance

Trump should've been Conway. Been mentioned a 1000 times already but Joel is soo wrong for the part.

For me, the show picked up near the end with that situation but overall it felt as boring as S3. Guess I just prefer the soap opera murder conspiracy crazy shit of S1 and 2 to the focus on white house back room dealings which I didn't feel were very interesting at all.

Horseress

Really? I see the exact opposite

Doug is plain and simply an addict. He was a self destructive alcoholic before Frank saved him, and he transferred his addiction from the bottle on to his work with Frank. It consumes him till he is nothing but the job. Frank knows this, and uses him for it. When things at work go bad for him, or somehow his position is threatened- like last season when Seth and the PR guy I forgot comes on board, he needs something else to fill that hole in his life and he transferred that addiction to Rachel. Something about these Brunettes fill some need in him. Probably reminds him of his mother. The creep. Anyway, when Rachel started becoming his new addiction and threatened his main role with Frank, well he removes her. Anyway the signs are all there the cycle is continuing now with the new, thin brunette who kind of looks like Rachel. Lee Ann is threatening his position again, Seth is challenging him, Frank is blaming him, etc... And we see scenes with him going back to the bottle. Almost. In walks this image of another woman like Rachel and he's obsessed with her again. He's transferring his addiction. And it's really scary and creepy and I more fear for her life than I do think this is a happily ever after for anyone... Especially if she starts compromising his work. He only know how to combat his addictions violently.

I fear for her life as well. I'm sure Doug will go full creepy on this now woman in the next season, that's just him. If he just forgets all the creepiness and builds a family with the donation woman they'll kill the character, a fantastic one imo

Yen

I had thought throughout the second half of the season that
the Underwoods would 'steal' the election somehow, but when they're caught Claire would throw Frank under the bus and get the presidency.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I had thought throughout the second half of the season that
the Underwoods would 'steal' the election somehow, but when they're caught Claire would throw Frank under the bus and get the presidency.

I think they're both going down. Either death or jail likely awaits both of them. I think there's going to be some Macbeth-level paranoia and incompetence coming from Frank before the end though, perhaps as a result of his liver transplant failing

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Was so sad about
Meechum
He
seemed like the only person
Frank actually loved.

PreFire

Was so sad about
Meechum
He
seemed like the only person
Frank actually loved.

I think the feeling was mutual.

When I saw him laying lifeless, eyes open, I was super shocked.

Fucking super awkward Tom now bangs Clair when he pleases. That silence the first morning they first woke up together was nuts lol

I fucking hate Conway lol. Robocop doing a good job.

Doug is so fucking weird. All of a sudden he feels remorse/guilt? He saved Frank's life. He was in terrible shape.. Maybe he realized the family man deserved it more than the corrupt President.

I got goosebumps when Clair broke the fourth wall along with Frank in the season finale closing scene. When she first looked over to him, as he spoke, I was like "what's going on? Then bam!

Dominator

Man, seeing Donald's short run as President was hysterical, how incompetent he seemed in that first meeting, telling everyone he needed a break. Then seeing Claire manipulate the fuck out of him to the point where his position just fulled his seemingly prior non-existent ego. The way he was talking to Doug really surprised me.

Speaking of Doug,
I think I need to watch those last few episodes again, I'm not sure what was going on with him and the lady whose fund he donated to, I was a little zoned out watching some of those last episodes -- so it might have flown right over my head, but did he actually have an angle there? Or was it Doug's bizarre way of trying to connect with someone, genuinely -- similar to his l relationship with Rachel. It was really great to see him lose his just lose his shit in that bathroom stall though, not surprising considering his dire position last season (by the way, his arc was the best part of last season), but seeing Seth get under his skin like that, yeesh, I worry for Seth's life.
Doug's arc last season was the thing I hated most, and is the reason I'll never rewatch that season. I disliked other things but that was by FAR the number one reason I hated it so much.

Rymuth

On Freddy this season:

it was so stupid..made no sense. Character assassination. His hatred of Frank makes no sense. Even in s3 the way he acted by saying he didn't like talking to Frank was a bit strange.

The Frank/Freddy relationship was one of the most interesting parts of the show, in that Freddy is the only person who Frank seems to enjoy socializing with.

The whole "everyone hates Frank because...reaons" thing is getting a little old. Yes it makes sense for people like Jackie and Remy...but Frank never did anything wrong to Freddy, and even went out of his way to help the guy

Yeah, I thought that seemed out of place too. I mean I guess it makes sense that he is
a little upset that Frank isn't happy for him with his new job. But enough to curse out the president? Was awful. I don't remember Frank ever doing anything insulting to him. I just remember him getting Freddy a job last season. Also I get Fresdy could be upset that he is just treated as "the help" but he is serving the president. For the entire Frank-Freddy relationship, Freddy has been serving Frank. If we saw any connection with them outside of patron-provider area maybe this scene would be more appropriate.

Also let's have Freddy beat up a journalist because he isn't a snitch. Uhhh, ok...sure. You could just say no. No need for assault Freddy.

Anyways, his scenes really bugged me and I feel like I'm missing something about them.
Freddy's character was all over the place. Hope he's gone for good.

Omzz

Middle season spoilerish

Why the fuck is
that author back...him messing around with claire doesn't seem like it even belongs

Vert boil

Thoroughly lacklustre season, just like the third.
Even after watching the laughable Claire storyline I was set to give them some praise for not falling into reflecting the real world but then episode seven happened. *Liz Lemon Eye Roll*

Really tiresome seeing the same tired beats regurgitated.

Finsihed the Season, liked it overall, better than S3, but still contained some salad stuck between the teeth

Liked:
Frank's evil nature comes back to full force towards the 2nd half.
Claire accepted the truth that she is just as evil as Frank.
Conway was a good nemesis, made Frank sweat.
The assassination attempt mid-season was a good nail biter.
Freddy punching the crap out of Hammersmith
Flashbacks to New Years 2013.
Walker
Contested Convention

Disliked
Freaking Tom Yates. Fuck this guy. Everyone who likes him forget that he is also manipulative by always telling people what they want to hear.
Doug story arch, creep.
The ambiguity of the Cyber guy. It was hard to follow him.

linsivvi

Doug has always been an unlikable creepy weirdo. Did you see the way he treated Rachel in season 2?

Yes he's always been, but at least he was competent. I mean, most characters in this show are scumbags anyway.
This season he is simply a liability trying to sabotage LeAnn just because he felt jealous.

Did anyone else laugh when Conway revealed his living situation to be humble? Breh I'd like in on that upper class suburban delusion goddamn.

Curufinwe

Did anyone else laugh when Conway revealed his living situation to be humble? Breh I'd like in on that upper class suburban delusion goddamn.

He was comparing it to the NY Governor's Mansion.

MANSION1-articleLarge.jpg

Dreez

Daaamn that season was amazing, they really turned it around from season 3. I especially liked how everything he did was coming back to bite him in the ass in the worst of times.

Only thing I was confused was
how the FBI taking over NSA could screw him... didn't the director give a spoon analogy that meant there's no way they could tell how the program was used?

I was enjoying the Season really big until the stupid Tom Yates characters got more involved into the story arc.

God it gets really really stupid in last quarter because of his story arc

really hate that character

this show is full on camp now but it remains enjoyable

thenexus6

I hope that next season
Doug gets shit done. He intimates people but never does anything. When Frank is out for a few episodes everything is literally falling apart around him

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The ambiguity of the Cyber guy. It was hard to follow him.
[/SPOILER]

I have no idea what was going on with that whole plotline.

Well, I sorta of do but it was kind of confusing at times. Didn't get how
he was able to use the NSA and then some people used his systems to track the ISIS guys. I was left scratching my heads a few times with that plotline.

Middle season spoilerish

Why the fuck is
that author back...him messing around with claire doesn't seem like it even belongs

he was the worst thing about Season 3 and manages to weird us out
when Frank thinks it's okay for Tom to bang his wife, LOL c'mon Frank? Tom? for your Wife? barfs

Gorillaz

Am I the only who doesn't hate Conway's casting? Reminds me of Rubio.

I like him alot tbh. It's just his delivery at times is a little too monotone

They are building him up as the new thing on the block but his approach is too "cold" right now. Maybe down the line yea but not from the jump.

Real spoilers for how the UK House of Cards, which this is based off, ends, if you're curious:
In the UK show, Claire never rises to be a politician herself, but is constantly behind Francis pulling the strings and encouraging his debauched actions. Indeed, later on in that version, Francis begins to have attacks of conscience and guilt when he's alone, but she's always the one who rams him back on track and pours more poison in his ear. His house of cards finally collapses when details of Mattie (Zoe)'s murder finally get found out, among other things, with his rivals about to release the information. Claire orchestrates an inside job assassination without his knowledge - he refuses to back down, but she knows the game is up, and so she has him killed to preserve his legacy -- because there's no point in disgracing a dead man, so his (and her) legacy remains intact with his death. Obviously if they go this route, Claire being the VP means it has massively different ramifications tonally and stuff.

The US show has deviated in some wild ways, so it's impossible to say if its final ending will follow the UK show, but the different twists the US show has taken makes wondering exactly how they'd piece that together and make it work some super interesting speculation.

Curufinwe

Real spoilers for how the UK House of Cards, which this is based off, ends, if you're curious:
In the UK show, Claire never rises to be a politician herself, but is constantly behind Francis pulling the strings and encouraging his debauched actions. Indeed, later on in that version, Francis begins to have attacks of conscience and guilt when he's alone, but she's always the one who rams him back on track and pours more poison in his ear. His house of cards finally collapses when details of Mattie (Zoe)'s murder finally get found out, among other things, with his rivals about to release the information. Claire orchestrates an inside job assassination without his knowledge - he refuses to back down, but she knows the game is up, and so she has him killed to preserve his legacy -- because there's no point in disgracing a dead man, so his (and her) legacy remains intact with his death. Obviously if they go this route, Claire being the VP means it has massively different ramifications tonally and stuff.

The US show has deviated in some wild ways, so it's impossible to say if its final ending will follow the UK show, but the different twists the US show has taken makes wondering exactly how they'd piece that together and make it work some super interesting speculation.

I think that's how it will end, but you never know for sure.

Having watched the UK version years ago I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough when I saw reviews of the first season criticizing Zoe getting killed. Sorry to the Kate Mara fanboys and girls but it's fundamental to the entire series.

Top Bottom