• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How dead is the Chrono series?

Well

They did make an entirely new game and it got flak for being too different.

Releasing the same game with new content wasn't a terrible idea to gauge how different of a game people really wanted.

That said, 800k should have been good enough to convince them to do *something* but we know that they have crazy expectations.

But it was also met with nearly universal critical acclaim and sold well over a million copies, then got a greatest hits re-release and is likely continuing to sell on PSN. It raises the question of what kind of sales they were looking for from Chrono Cross and it makes me think that there just wasn't a lot of corporate support for the series.

Regarding Chrono Trigger DS, I agree with your sentiment and I think its worth additionally noting that they charged a premium $40 and it still sold as well as it did. The game had to have had a huge profit margin given how little work would have been involved in a slightly enhanced port. It seems like a shining example of how poorly managed their sales expectations were, or perhaps just how little support the Chrono name has from the execs at Square.

Even today Square is happy enough with Bravely default selling about 1 million worldwide, with full development costs, and presumably with reduced profits on the western release since Nintendo published it in those regions.

Man this thread is depressing. Fuck Square Enix.

There was a time when JRPGs seemed to have infinite potential. They were pushing the envelope of storytelling, immersion, and character development. Not to mention having some of the most unique and interesting music and art. It was mind boggling to imagine what companies like Square could do with exponentially more powerful hardware.

What happened?

Exponentially more powerful hardware happened, bringing exponentially increasing expectations on production values and thus exponentially inflating budgets and time to market => increased risk aversity. That, and exodus of old talent beginning in the late 90's.

bff3f5eb4ec5d9ef3c1611efb2c36576.gif

Does that answer your question, OP?

Man this thread is depressing. Fuck Square Enix.

There was a time when JRPGs seemed to have infinite potential. They were pushing the envelope of storytelling, immersion, and character development. Not to mention having some of the most unique and interesting music and art. It was mind boggling to imagine what companies like Square could do with exponentially more powerful hardware.

What happened?

I see jrpgs as anime counterparts

As anime evolved so did jrpg. SNES had lots of anime influence, and with psone technoanime, and now we are full of uguu and waifus (tales games, ffxiii)

I still will never give up hope, even if it takes twenty years. It's too critically acclaimed and people have nostalgia for it, it has to have a sequel some day. Will it be something that we want, one would never know.

Try out Final Fantasy XIII-2, that game is basically what I imagine a modern Chrono Trigger would be, with the various alternate timelines that you have to navigate to get just the right events to take place. I would bet the game even started out as a Chrono Trigger game, before they decided to make it about the FFXIII world.

getting Sakaguchi back (even for just one game), adding in some other popular Japanese figure in the industry, and creating another 'Dream Team' project would be the only proper way to do a new Chrono game, IMO.

That was the entire point of the original. It was a tag-team of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest talents. That made it a big deal.

Square-Enix simply making a 'Chrono Break' (even with the best case scenario of Kitase/Itou directing again) just wouldn't be enough, I think.

It's over.
S-E just doesn't have the drive, foresight, or probably development means these days to make it happen.

Begaria

It's dead, but don't fret! There was a fairly recent DS game that should give you all that you desire as an unofficial Chrono game:

Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg

Gah, I'd kill for another Radiant Historia over another Chrono game.

"If fans are interested in a new Chrono game, please purchase new mobile version! We will consider!"
-Square Enix Management

I think that's how this works. ;)

Y'know what would make me religious? "Square-enix sells the Chrono series IP to capcom." That would make GAF sad enough that I would begin believing in a supreme being that relishes in humans weeping over petty things.

Alavard

You've got to understand, SquareEnix decides their next product by tossing darts at a giant board filled with features and seeing what lines up. And for some reason 'starring Lightning' takes up 50% of that board.

Probably not. In the hands of another developer if ever. It would probably have to be western.

Well, Twin Peaks will continue after 25 years. So i say yes.

LOL - true I didn't see that coming. Though I have way more faith in David Lynch and Co. vs SquareEnix.

Veldin

I still think a new entry in the series could happen. Square-Enix has a lot of strong talent, they're just not letting the youngsters lead any big projects (yet).

jett

D-Member
Superdead.

I wish the loading times and the overall speed battle was quicker in Cross. I'd really like to replay it for the visuals and whatnot, but it borders on being unplayable.

Trigger is eternal though.

All the dead.

It's all the dead that there can be, with no chance of undeath.

And that makes me sad. I know, yadda yadda modern day Square Enix, but Bravely Default was a step in the right direction. I still feel like they can do great things, even though it doesn't happen often. :(

StoneFox

It's dead, but don't fret! There was a fairly recent DS game that should give you all that you desire as an unofficial Chrono game:

Radiant_Historia_Cover_Art.jpg

Gah, I'd kill for another Radiant Historia over another Chrono game.
More people need to play this game. As a big CT fan Radiant Historia fed my fix for a good few weeks.

Ishida

Banned
Superdead.

I wish the loading times and the overall speed battle was quicker in Cross. I'd really like to replay it for the visuals and whatnot, but it borders on being unplayable.

That's why I always keep my New Game + save around. The fast forward device in Chrono Cross is a godsent.

Superdead.

After you beat it the first time you get a key item that let's you fast forward or slow down time in the game. I'm surprised more games haven't adopted that feature for new game plus.

Top Bottom