• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid by 5th Cell (Scribblenauts) Beta Sign Up - XBLA

El Sloth

Banned
did you use it? If I got it too late someone wouldve quoted it. AND lol... It wouldve told me it was already redeemed not invalid.
No, I've already been playing the beta for a while. There are plenty of people with GAF accounts who only ever lurk and don't post much if at all.

When I was first trying to get a code from one of Jackson's big code dumps the ones that were taken would just say they were invalid.

fernoca

Hmm... That's the code I got from the Gamespot Hybrid Beta Giveaway. Maybe you have to enter it from the dash. Or maybe they terminated the offer.
Seems the codes were deactivated... or something.
Got a code from Gamespot too, for a friend, and receives the same message:
"There is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

Through the actual Xbox, it just says that the code is invalid.

Tried a few random quotes from Jackson's post and some appeared as "already used", but a few appear with that "problem" message.

Really weird.

Anybody still want a beta key, got it by signing up through the Hybrid site so hopefully it still works. First person to quote me, I will send code through PM.

Hmm... That's the code I got from the Gamespot Hybrid Beta Giveaway. Maybe you have to enter it from the dash. Or maybe they terminated the offer.
probably if it doesnt work dont worry about it thanks though.

No, I've already been playing the beta for a while. There are plenty of people with GAF accounts who only ever lurk and don't post much if at all.

When I was first trying to get a code from one of Jackson's big code dumps the ones that were taken would just say they were invalid.

hmm something is going on then.

Beta ends at midnight tonight Pacific time. I"m going to try to get a couple more games in before it ends, and I anxiously await it's full release. It will probably be my main MP game till halo 4 hits.

Jackson, any chance we could get a breakdown of what 5th cell learned from the beta, changes that are incoming, population vs. expectations, things that surprised you etc?

El Sloth

Banned
Beta ends at midnight tonight Pacific time. I"m going to try to get a couple more games in before it ends, and I anxiously await it's full release. It will probably be my main MP game till halo 4 hits.

Jackson, any chance we could get a breakdown of what 5th cell learned from the beta, changes that are incoming, population vs. expectations, things that surprised you etc?
I hope the Preyons get tweaked. It's impossible to take one down with the shotgun even when you see it coming because of the way it just suddenly latches on to you even when there's still some distance between the player and the thing.

Are you sloth112? Think we just had a round together. I'm paladin though. Nothing better than nailing a teleporter before they can get a shot off
Yep. What's your GT?

We teleporters are just misunderstood is all!

Lunchbox

Banned
wtf, i can only go from cover to cover. why cant i detach from cover and fly around freely?

is this a glitch on my part

totowhoa

Banned
I hope the Preyons get tweaked. It's impossible to take one down with the shotgun even when you see it coming because of the way it just suddenly latches on to you even when there's still some distance between the player and the thing.

Yep. What's your GT?

We teleporters are just misunderstood is all!

Sklorenz.

Ive taken a Preyon down with a shotgun once or twice, but yeah it's tough. I think in the game we played just a bit ago, a newer guy was complaining about em and you mentioned their large hit box :p

I thought the beta ended tomorrow night... Is it actually tonight? That's awful for me

El Sloth

Banned
wtf, i can only go from cover to cover. why cant i detach from cover and fly around freely?

is this a glitch on my part
Going from cover to cover is the basics of the game. Once you get a hang of the movement though you can start flying all over the place without landing at cover once if you so wish to.

Constantly highlight one cover to the next in mid-air while straying (again, in mid-air) and always be ready to fly backwards (the retreat button) in case of trouble.
Sklorenz.

Ive taken a Preyon down with a shotgun once or twice, but yeah it's tough. I think in the game we played just a bit ago, a newer guy was complaining about em and you mentioned their large hit box :p

I thought the beta ended tomorrow night... Is it actually tonight? That's awful for me
Ah, I see you. I ask because I didn't see you in the recently played list.

Dude, you must be some kind of shotgun god and I now pray to you hoping I too can can take down one of those screaming assholes.

totowhoa

Banned
Haha good round man, sorry I'm mic-less. Surprised I haven't seen you playing before since you're already such a high level

Yeah shotgun and teleport is generally my main for drydock and defense array. I tend to mix it up for generator more often though

El Sloth

Banned
Haha good round man, sorry I'm mic-less. Surprised I haven't seen you playing before since you're already such a high level
No prob. I leveled up really quick the first couple of days and then stopped playing for the last four or five days because I've been a little busy with other stuff.

totowhoa

Banned
No prob. I leveled up really quick the first couple of days and then stopped playing for the last four or five days because I've been a little busy with other stuff.

I'm studying for a final between rounds myself, heh. I always avoid new games around finals but I did t want to pass up on the beta. It's been a terrible distraction

El Sloth

Banned
I'm studying for a final between rounds myself, heh. I always avoid new games around finals but I did t want to pass up on the beta. It's been a terrible distraction
Oh, man. I know this feeling.

Don't ever play Pokemon around finals time. Don't ever get into the game if you haven't already. College students next worst enemy after MMO's and Diablo.

soultron

Banned
It is impossible to find a game. Am I doing something wrong? I just spent 2 hours waiting around. Lobby would maybe get 4 people and then the host would become impatient.

Doesn't really fill me with faith that the game's community will have any sort of longevity.

VariantX

yeah, I had the same experience for the past two days, Monday after about 30 minutes, I couldn't get into any games, Tuesday, I got into one, apparently the host didn't take losing well and jumped ship. I then proceeded to try again for a half-hour to find another game to play in which I just gave up trying to find games.

soultron

Banned
yeah, I had the same experience for the past two days, Monday after about 30 minutes, I couldn't get into any games, Tuesday, I got into one, apparently the host didn't take losing well and jumped ship. I then proceeded to try again for a half-hour to find another game to play in which I just gave up trying to find games.

The fundamental problem with this game's design, in my opinion:

• No team balancing because you pick a side when you start playing the game. You're given the choice to change factions, but I'm unsure how this works and what the repurcussions are.
  • No quick-matching because you choose where you fight. There's no way of telling (from my knowledge) where there are players waiting for matches to start either.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to provide beta feedback if all I've played are the menus and the tutorials.

Jhoan

• No team balancing because you pick a side when you start playing the game. You're given the choice to change factions, but I'm unsure how this works and what the repurcussions are.
  • No quick-matching because you choose where you fight. There's no way of telling (from my knowledge) where there are players waiting for matches to start either.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to provide beta feedback if all I've played are the menus and the tutorials.

I'm with you man. I booted up the beta for the first time yesterday and I couldn't find a single match like you said after 20 minutes of picking different parts of the world. I ended up giving up and dash boarding.

It is very annoying that the host bails out when there's like 4 people. The furthest I made it was to a lobby of two people on both sides. The game was trying to find more players to balance the team, but the host ended up bailing which sucks. I was hoping that this game was on servers, but since it's using P2P, it sucks.

I'm with you man. I booted up the beta for the first time yesterday and I couldn't find a single match like you said after 20 minutes of picking different parts of the world. I ended up giving up and dash boarding.

It is very annoying that the host bails out when there's like 4 people. The furthest I made it was to a lobby of two people on both sides. The game was trying to find more players to balance the team, but the host ended up bailing which sucks. I was hoping that this game was on servers, but since it's using P2P, it sucks.

Unfortunately, you got on the Beta at a pretty late stage, and matchmaking was pretty slow by the end. I'm not sure how much 5th Cell opened up the beta, and if the player numbers were what they were expecting.

One thing to note, where you select on the map has no effect on the players you are trying to play against, there's one general "Matchmaking pool" and your selection of a zone doesn't effect that.

Jackson confirmed that the final game has host migration.

Matchmaking is done in one big pool regardless of the region you pick.

On the faction side, it's been stated that in the full game the matchmaking will at first limit itself to matching opposing sides against each other. If it takes too long (I don't know how long), matchmaking will consider matching you against a team from the same faction.

Still not ideal as it can't mix and match between factions, but it should somewhat help with the problem.

totowhoa

Banned
This video brings back memories already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3toigYk0Do

Was linked in a topic on the Hybrid forums. I fought this guy (LoadTheMatrix) a bunch early on, he was by far the highest level I saw for the first several days. His style skews towards campy, but he's still slightly aggressive. A good video, but it's a bit skewed since it was recorded earlier in the beta when his higher level teleport + shotgun combo was virtually unseen then. Towards the end of the beta, it was far less effective, but still one of the best combos. Hopefully they tone it down just a notch overall.

I'm hoping the final game can pull in a good crowd from the getgo. The Giantbomb QL mentioned 7 game modes in the final version (which I believe Jackson confirmed here) and 10 maps I *think* (is this confirmed?). Considering how many hours I put into the beta with 3 maps and 3 modes, I'm really looking forward to the final version with balanced match making and credit-based weapon/ability unlocks instead of level-based unlocks, plus all the additional maps and modes.

The highest level guy I saw was the Paladin AfroFlower, level 56. 55 is the highest base level, at level 56 your rank symbol (whatever the term for it is) restarts with the level 1 image again, but there is a blue dot. So the max possible level is a multiple of 55.

I finished at level 42 or 43, not sure how much real time I put in. I'd guess 6 to 10 hours of game time maybe? It's kind of hard to parse out all the waiting I did, as I usually just left it hunting for a game while I did other things my PC or something. My final amount of time was probably stupidly high because of the garbage match making (due to a lack of players 90% of the time... there were peak times where I never waited more than minute or two at most or so between rounds). At least this will all supposedly be fixed in the final, which is pretty much the deal breaker for me.

This video brings back memories already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3toigYk0Do

Was linked in a topic on the Hybrid forums. I fought this guy (LoadTheMatrix) a bunch early on, he was by far the highest level I saw for the first several days. His style skews towards campy, but he's still slightly aggressive. A good video, but it's a bit skewed since it was recorded earlier in the beta when his higher level teleport + shotgun combo was virtually unseen then. Towards the end of the beta, it was far less effective, but still one of the best combos. Hopefully they tone it down just a notch overall.

I'm hoping the final game can pull in a good crowd from the getgo. The Giantbomb QL mentioned 7 game modes in the final version (which I believe Jackson confirmed here) and 10 maps I *think* (is this confirmed?). Considering how many hours I put into the beta with 3 maps and 3 modes, I'm really looking forward to the final version with balanced match making and credit-based weapon/ability unlocks instead of level-based unlocks, plus all the additional maps and modes.

The highest level guy I saw was the Paladin AfroFlower, level 56. 55 is the highest base level, at level 56 your rank symbol (whatever the term for it is) restarts with the level 1 image again, but there is a blue dot. So the max possible level is a multiple of 55.

I finished at level 42 or 43, not sure how much real time I put in. I'd guess 6 to 10 hours of game time maybe? It's kind of hard to parse out all the waiting I did, as I usually just left it hunting for a game while I did other things my PC or something. My final amount of time was probably stupidly high because of the garbage match making (due to a lack of players 90% of the time... there were peak times where I never waited more than minute or two at most or so between rounds). At least this will all supposedly be fixed in the final, which is pretty much the deal breaker for me.

Didn't realize you were paladin, not sure if we even played on the same squad (I was electricpirate)

Absolutely, I'm jazzed for the final release. I'd love to see them address some of the issues to make the shooting feel a little cleaner, but even if they don't, I'm there day one. As long as the matchmaking is smooth, and the weapons get a bit of tweaking I'm seriously pumped.

totowhoa

Banned
Just bumping because we're exactly 2 weeks out from the release date now. This is probably a pretty inopportune time for a bump considering the time zones and whatnot (not sure if summer of XBLA games all hit EU or what, to be honest). At any rate, between the trailer and a few statements from devs on their forum, it looks like balance issues have been fixed with a new weapon/ability upgrade system in place. Is anybody doing an OT for this? I was considering popping my cherry if nobody else is interested.

To be honest, I'm pretty pumped to get into this game again. New maps and modes were what I was most looking forward to, and I hope the balancing issues and decent match-making make it a little more accessible. Balancing and match-making were the games biggest flaws, but I had an immense amount of fun with the game regardless. I'm really hoping this game gets some good reception and a decent audience.

To the poster above me: I saw this when it was posted, but I never responded. Sorry I'm two months late, but my handle is the same as this one :) And I will continue as a Paladin upon release.

Top Bottom