• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid by 5th Cell (Scribblenauts) Beta Sign Up - XBLA

Jackson

Say what? Im not looking forward to running into that guy at all lol. Im wondering iss there a complete list of abilities up somewhere on the net I can take a peek at to see what I have to look forward to?

Dude you're like the leader of the Variants!

totowhoa

Banned
Say what? Im not looking forward to running into that guy at all lol. Im wondering iss there a complete list of abilities up somewhere on the net I can take a peek at to see what I have to look forward to?

Haha I wonder if it's LoadTheMatrix. He's a Hugh level variant that always plays that set up and destroys me. I've played several rounds with him. Can't wait to get teleport.

Jackson

There are more codes for anti-lurking if you quote me as well.

Y6W4M-2HM9F-QMV2F-RQ9CD-VJQPZ
HVG3T-92C2T-GG3KR-X7YMH-9DC2Z
6RF3G-KV4M6-J6VX9-4H2RY-69Q3Z
CCPRM-F6WWW-FHCXY-HK2MC-CJCYZ
3CJQC-4CQ9F-HY3F2-9397M-VJHCZ
VT6GW-3MVY4-Y6M4G-FMM4H-H46PZ
77KFX-4PG6C-264JW-DXTFY-23WXZ
TP46G-GVTXQ-KPGX7-RH264-M4J7Z
22KGJ-GDP9Y-VG323-WVJ9M-3VQDZ
Q9V94-KDGWF-KF66W-F7JVQ-TJF3Z
MRW3Y-YWGF7-DF93G-GCKXF-2GPQZ
MRHWQ-CKCRF-CM3X4-R7MRP-3XCWZ
7F7GV-9VHR7-K43CY-2YTPG-9TXKZ
PMVFT-PG4RH-WYQQR-99TQX-6G93Z
Q4FMR-4H9GD-9CJ2T-G4Q73-7WJQZ
H7JGR-VMPKC-3CM7R-4DJY4-GHR4Z
T9TTF-GGMC2-4KKPK-G32FM-H2P9Z
YP74G-C4F2J-79QKK-MKFRM-YC7KZ
FGFMY-9X7RT-3D36K-7CWTR-7D9PZ
Q79WF-9XWRF-H2XRF-2PKTT-7K4HZ
V93XH-WYXT6-2CXCJ-TJHCG-C2Y2Z
C2YDQ-PT4C9-K2CC6-7H742-GTCKZ
V6RR4-KJX7C-J9WJH-9GJ9Y-JFMMZ
CTCDQ-MJY3R-RPTQ7-KC9VG-WVQPZ
YTJC9-MMXHD-6JHG2-VGPK4-4XDDZ
3K4P7-7CCPY-XYWFJ-J4936-WJ2TZ
239V4-YM9XJ-RMY6K-7MHWC-QXJMZ
XMC9J-M7VDH-K4XKC-3KC2M-7WYJZ

SEKRET CODES HERE!
--------------------------

El Sloth

Banned
Strange thing happened just now: picked a country and it skipped the map picking screen and went straight to the, uh, loadout screen with "N/A" on "Mode:" and nothing on "Map:".

Nothing game breaking, but just thought I should post it.

zlatko

Banned
I'm super impressed with the 2-3 games I got to play last night.

The movement system is one of the most unique. Game feels like a mix of RTS and TPS. Me likey so far.

Tawpgun

It's very unique and I like the concept.

The Chromehounds War Mode looks like it made it in which is awesome. Been waiting on a game to do this.

But I feel the feedback and gameplay is sort of sloppy. Like I never know how I'm doing against an opponent. Maybe Halo spoils me in that regard. But the gunplay just feels sloppy to me.

Daigoro

people are already playing this? i thought the codes were no good until Friday?

that's what the email said anyways.

I definitely like the concept. It's very unique, fresh, and rewards team play. What I don't like however is...

- All the maps basically look and feel the same
- Sniper rifles possibly over powered?
- So many god damn drones...

Jackson

I loved Sribblenaughts!

Close enough.

people are already playing this? i thought the codes were no good until Friday?

Last Friday for April, not May. :p

But I feel the feedback and gameplay is sort of sloppy. Like I never know how I'm doing against an opponent. Maybe Halo spoils me in that regard. But the gunplay just feels sloppy to me.

Please be more specific. This is a beta, we want feedback. How has Halo spoiled you?

I definitely like the concept. It's very unique, fresh, and rewards team play. What I don't like however is...

- All the maps basically look and feel the same
- Sniper rifles possibly over powered?
- So many god damn drones...

Generator is over a giant industrial dam, Drydock is a Variant shipyard where you travel inside a Variant airship. There's no way these look the same.

Some weapons will be OP/UP, that's what beta is for. :)

Drones help keep a 3v3 match lively!

Clunker

I've been hoping to snag a code to check this out -- thanks, Jackson. <3 I used the last one on your super-sekkret list.

Tawpgun

Please be more specific. This is a beta, we want feedback. How has Halo spoiled you?

Oh, didn't know a dev on the game posted here. Sure thing.

One of the things that makes Halo combat so great is its consistency, clarity, and feedback system.

You know how much damage you're taking and when you're about to die.
You know how much damage you're dealing and when you're opponent is about to die.
There's no fancy effects, its just very clearly communicated. I shoot a guy 4 times with the DMR and his shields pop. If he took damage beforehand, I see his shields pop and know he's about to die. When using another weapon, the size and brightness of the shields is a subtle indicator as to how weak they are. This all make for a game that feels fair. You're never really felt wondering "How the hell did I die?" "How did I not kill that guy?"

However, this might all be because I haven't played the game for long enough.

Other notes...

Drones seem OP. The SMG seems better than the AR anyday. Currently the Vulcan and the Shotgun are the only weapons I can feel consistent with. Clipping/Camera issues when jetpacking between some covers. I feel the route the jetpack takes is not the route I want, like it make sure to take the longest path from Point A to B. Manuevering while in cover seems wonky.

And I'm having a tough time reading what the world map is telling me. Both sides have 100% in this territory but its under Paladin control? No idea what's going on here. Chromehounds communicated it better.

Avinexus

Not sure what gun it is but the one that shoots out the ball of electricity seems OP. Some guy on my team was using it during a KOTH on the map that has no flanking routes (forget the name of it, it has a electricity wall in the middle of it, each team spawns on one side of the wall and the hills are the platforms at the end of the wall). He just keep shooting the ball into the opponents hill and they couldn't do a thing about it because they couldn't get behind him due to the map design.

Disclaimer: I'm only level 8, so maybe there is a counter to it that I haven't unlocked, etc., etc. BUT, all maps need at least one flanking route due to the campy style of the gameplay.

Drones seem OP. The SMG seems better than the AR anyday. Currently the Vulcan and the Shotgun are the only weapons I can feel consistent with. Clipping/Camera issues when jetpacking between some covers. I feel the route the jetpack takes is not the route I want, like it make sure to take the longest path from Point A to B. Manuevering while in cover seems wonky.

And I'm having a tough time reading what the world map is telling me. Both sides have 100% in this territory but its under Paladin control? No idea what's going on here. Chromehounds communicated it better.

Drones are easily taken out just by shooting them. As far as the jetpack routes, you can control where you go when traveling between covers, you don't have to let it take you the default route.

@Jackson: Just noticed that whenever you switch rapidly between the vote selections the sound fx lag a bit behind the cursor, ie the sound continues playing after you've stopped changing selections.

Dug

Banned
There are more codes for anti-lurking if you quote me as well.

Y6W4M-2HM9F-QMV2F-RQ9CD-VJQPZ
HVG3T-92C2T-GG3KR-X7YMH-9DC2Z
6RF3G-KV4M6-J6VX9-4H2RY-69Q3Z
CCPRM-F6WWW-FHCXY-HK2MC-CJCYZ
3CJQC-4CQ9F-HY3F2-9397M-VJHCZ
VT6GW-3MVY4-Y6M4G-FMM4H-H46PZ
77KFX-4PG6C-264JW-DXTFY-23WXZ
TP46G-GVTXQ-KPGX7-RH264-M4J7Z
22KGJ-GDP9Y-VG323-WVJ9M-3VQDZ
Q9V94-KDGWF-KF66W-F7JVQ-TJF3Z
MRW3Y-YWGF7-DF93G-GCKXF-2GPQZ
MRHWQ-CKCRF-CM3X4-R7MRP-3XCWZ
7F7GV-9VHR7-K43CY-2YTPG-9TXKZ
PMVFT-PG4RH-WYQQR-99TQX-6G93Z
Q4FMR-4H9GD-9CJ2T-G4Q73-7WJQZ
H7JGR-VMPKC-3CM7R-4DJY4-GHR4Z
T9TTF-GGMC2-4KKPK-G32FM-H2P9Z
YP74G-C4F2J-79QKK-MKFRM-YC7KZ
FGFMY-9X7RT-3D36K-7CWTR-7D9PZ
Q79WF-9XWRF-H2XRF-2PKTT-7K4HZ
V93XH-WYXT6-2CXCJ-TJHCG-C2Y2Z
C2YDQ-PT4C9-K2CC6-7H742-GTCKZ
V6RR4-KJX7C-J9WJH-9GJ9Y-JFMMZ
CTCDQ-MJY3R-RPTQ7-KC9VG-WVQPZ
YTJC9-MMXHD-6JHG2-VGPK4-4XDDZ
3K4P7-7CCPY-XYWFJ-J4936-WJ2TZ
239V4-YM9XJ-RMY6K-7MHWC-QXJMZ
XMC9J-M7VDH-K4XKC-3KC2M-7WYJZ

SEKRET CODES HERE!
--------------------------
Thanks! took: YP74G-C4F2J-79QKK-MKFRM-YC7KZ.

VariantX

One of the things that makes Halo combat so great is its consistency, clarity, and feedback system.

You know how much damage you're dealing and when you're opponent is about to die.
There's no fancy effects, its just very clearly communicated. I shoot a guy 4 times with the DMR and his shields pop. If he took damage beforehand, I see his shields pop and know he's about to die. When using another weapon, the size and brightness of the shields is a subtle indicator as to how weak they are. This all make for a game that feels fair. You're never really felt wondering "How the hell did I die?" "How did I not kill that guy?"

Other notes...

If i recall, the paladins and variants are racing to get to 100% in the zones, whichever side gets there first gets 2 points and the other side gets one when they reach 100. The side that gets 100% gets the zone colored in their team color and the other team when they reach 100% gets a small flag next to the winning team's flag. At least that's what im gathering so far.

El Sloth

Banned
Guys, the secret to beating the Swarm (electric ball gun):

Be constantly moving. Movement is you best friend against it. Especially if there are two of you trying to flank the Swarm user at the same time. Don't forget you can bob and weave while you're flying and boosting as well!

Avinexus

Guys, the secret to beating the Swarm (electric ball gun):

Be constantly moving. Movement is you best friend against it. Especially if there are two of you trying to flank the Swarm user at the same time. DOn't forget you can bob and weave while you're flying and boosting as well!

Herein lies the problem with that solution. When playing KOTH, the hill doesn't move. All the guy was doing in my game was sitting far away and launching it at the hill. The other team couldn't do anything about it because there are no flank routes on that specific map (Again, I don't know the map name. It's the one with the electric wall running down the middle of it). Unless you expect them to keep dodging in and out of the hill, in which case they would just get taken out by the other two guys on the team while moving from cover to cover.

El Sloth

Banned
Herein lies the problem with that solution. When playing KOTH, the hill doesn't move. All the guy was doing in my game was sitting far away and launching it at the hill. The other team couldn't do anything about it because there are no flank routes on that specific map (Again, I don't know the map name. It's the one with the electric wall running down the middle of it). Unless you expect them to keep dodging in and out of the hill, in which case they would just get taken out by the other two guys on the team while moving from cover to cover.
In that situation I would use the smoke grenades to their fullest coupled with the armored spec.

Go from the covers in the middle quickly using you boost and aim for the ledge cover closest to the Hill on the opposite side of your spawn point (assuming the Swarm user isn't there). Personally I'd go in using a Shotgun. The Meta Defense ability would also be useful. Hack Grenades would also be a good way to create a distraction.

If you don't know where the enemy is then change your ability to the sensor next spawn or get one of your teammates to do it.

Don't let the guy get a streak otherwise they might hold on to Preyon for situations where you manage to get in and that's enough to make anyone rage.

First impressions:

-Fun. Good idea and a nice breath of fresh air.
-Assault rifles seem like the way to go. Shotguns don't seem too useful, and snipers seem a bit hard to use. The SMG confuses me. Doesn't seem too SMG-ish.
-The game basis is awesome. Love it.
-Can't tell, but can you fire through walls at all?
-I'm only level three, so these may change.

Also, are there any restrictions on media coverage?

El Sloth

Banned
First impressions:

-Fun. Good idea and a nice breath of fresh air.
-Assault rifles seem like the way to go. Shotguns don't seem too useful, and snipers seem a bit hard to use. The SMG confuses me. Doesn't seem too SMG-ish.
-The game basis is awesome. Love it.
-Can't tell, but can you fire through walls at all?
-I'm only level three, so these may change.

Also, are there any restrictions on media coverage?
I had 24/9 kill/death ratio with the double shotty during a KOTH game. I <3 the shotguns.

Just need to know the right ways to get in (or in the case of KOTH games, having enough patience to let them come to you).

Emitan

I can't hit people with the shotgun. I don't know why. It's definitely a problem on my end.

*goes back to her trusty burst SMG*

El Sloth

Banned
When you're up close with the shotgun blindfire is more useful than aiming since you can move around and jump around between both sides of cover.

Emitan

Did you not listen to the wise words of our tutorial?! Blindfire in close quarters! :p

I can't learn from words in a controlled environment. I must feel!

That said, I have no issues blind firing with every other weapon. Why am I treating a freaking shotgun like a precision weapon?

You done goofed. MS have your credit card details (assuming you didn't pay with Paypal) and they don't let go of those details without an epic battle.

I'm talking blood everywhere, dismembered body parts, urine, poop, pretty much everything...but worse of all is the damage they do to your bank balance. I've seen entire legions fall to their knees and weep to their gods after the damage MS bring on their bank balances. Truly terrifying stuff. The stuff nightmares are made of. o_O

Sorry for the mini derail.

hes not kidding.

Took me 14 emails and then 25 minutes on an international phone call to get it done. Oh and for my account to get hacked before they finally removed my CC on there.

I've been down on defense Array before, but I am finding you can flank, it just requires an armor boost and/or a little cover fire.

Here's my strategy to break up a formation on defense array. Once people adapt this will probably fall apart, but for now, I find it can knock a team off balance pretty easily.

1. Post up on the high ground near the shield wall. Check the scene,
2. If someone is camping their high ground see if you can take them out, if you can't get a shot, see if you can get a teamate to pin them down.
3. Point at the opposite teams hill base, even if it's occupied.
4. As soon as you are in the air, turn, and mash defense/speed boost as soon as you get clear of the elctiric wall, doge like crazy. If their high point is defended, head to their upside down cover, and try to flip to the covered side as soon as you get there. If there's a swam guy all by his lonesim, head right for him, he can't do shit if you charge him.
5. Swing around behind the other team and pick up 2 or 3 easy kills and break up their position.

Even if you don't make it, I find their entire team seems to focus on you, allowing your team to pop off at least one quick kill, or reclaim the hill.

Quoted because I think this is good feedback, and goes back to what i was saying about specs and a feeling of randomness sometimes.

Other notes...

1) Initial SMG/AR have flipped roles from my expectations. The Triburst SMG is a great midrange precisionsish weapon, while the default AR is really for closer range fights. Later versions flip this around, I especially <3 the semi auto battle rifle.

2) The Drones aren't that great, maybe with the commander spec, but I find having a stalker and a warbringer only makes me marginally more effective, mostly they are good for when someone tries to charge my position, which is a fight I'd generally win anyways, or the occiasional bit of spotting. Preyons are beastly, but you really only see 2 or 3 a game in my experience.

3) Path finding can be weird, I've had it occasionally take me the long way around a wall to get to the cover I selected, but those moments are rare. I try to doge around like crazy in the air though. Totally agreed about movement in cover, there can be a delay to movement which is odd.

So how does an Australian get to play this game?

The codes are all used up from what I can gather - and I managed to nab one earlier today but it told me there was an issue redeeming that code. I assume the beta is region locked to United States?

If so, that's a shame. I watched quite a bit of gameplay on youtube and I have a slight urge to give the game a try and see for myself.

I hope it does well, I really do - but this is almost certainly going to become a niche title. I just can't see a 3v3 XBLA title developing a strong ongoing community that these sort of titles need/deserve.

Best of luck to you and your team though Jackson. I'll certainly give it a go and at least recommend all my XBL friends grab the Arcade Trial/Demo.

totowhoa

Banned
Totally agreed about movement in cover, there can be a delay to movement which is odd.

I don't think I've noticed a delay myself, but movement always feels weird when on a t-shaped platform. Moving around the corners feels wonky (and players getting in the way is even more of a pain here), and sometimes if the camera is turned a funny way (and this can happen on any platform), I find myself pushing the stick in the direction I want the character to go, which may not necessarily be the correct input (i.e., I'm on the ceiling and the camera is turned in such a way so that pressing "up" feels like the correct direction to press in order to move the player further along the cover, when "right" is what I should be pressing, because you can only move right and left in cover...) This doesn't bother me too much, but when trying to move and blind fire while upside down, I get extremely sloppy still, because I'm not necessarily moving in a way that I'd expect. Currently about level 24 or so, but that's been giving me problems for a while. It feels a little unintuitive still, although I've gotten more used to it. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'm about to go play the game again here in a bit so I might amend this with something more clear soon.

Flanking and sniping variants on drydock: so good.
Host quitting at 10 seconds and losing the sweet experience: so bad.

I think Jackson confirmed host migration for the final version, this makes me happy.

Top Bottom