• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid by 5th Cell (Scribblenauts) Beta Sign Up - XBLA

El Sloth

Banned
People need to stop freezing up against the Swarm. That's the absolute worst possible thing you can do. Especially if they have they have the Venom ability.

Edit: Anyone know the difference between regular kills and Hero kills?

People need to stop freezing up against the Swarm. That's the absolute worst possible thing you can do. Especially if they have they have the Venom ability.

Edit: Anyone know the difference between regular kills and Hero kills?

I believe Hero kills are when you kill a person after they wounded a teammate.

Impressions from second night:

-Preyons need to be toned down a bit. The freeze when they get near you is too much, as they shouldn't ALWAYS hit in mid-air. Maybe make them miss sometimes?
-The teleport ability is very annoying. No idea how, but should be toned down.
-Most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

mrgone

I like the idea of the metagame and all, but it's absolutely the opposite of fun to be matchmade against a bunch of lvl 30s with a bunch of 5s and 6s. And I'm sure it's just my newness to the game, but snipers are godawful to deal with.

Tawpgun

Game is a bit buggy as well. Some animation stuff, audio cutting out, being in a cover stance while not in cover.

And I don't like that half a second of vulnerability you have while getting into cover. Like the animation makes it so you can't fly into cover you have to come down gently into it.

Havok

Just played my first game, came into complain about the Swarm. Guess everybody beat me to it.

A game about cover with a weapon that nullifies cover. Nice.

Had a lot of fun when I wasn't getting destroyed though.

Tawpgun's post about player feedback in Halo on the last page is spot on.

mrgone

Some additional weirdness that is probably all fully known and accounted for:

-If the host drops during loading the game has to be fully restarted from the dashboard
-Most of the in-game missions I'm getting seem to be for weapons and abilities I havn't unlocked yet
-This is really minor, but is there a way to force the game to go back to the full map or the map I just donated my losses to after a match? It always brings me back to North America, which has already met the Fire Marshall's safety limit for robot corpses.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just played my first game, came into complain about the Swarm. Guess everybody beat me to it.

A game about cover with a weapon that nullifies cover. Nice.

Had a lot of fun when I wasn't getting destroyed though.

Tawpgun's post about player feedback in Halo on the last page is spot on.

It's not a game about cover :p

Play that way and you'll lose!

Yeah, game is pretty much suppose to be about aerial combat and tactics. Doesn't feel that way at all in the beginning. Maybe the swarm is the devs way of saying "STOP PLAYING THIS LIKE GEARS!", lol.

Okay. Teleport is ruining the game for me. It's not even fair. It gives you like a second to react, and by the time you do, you're dead before they appear on your screen.

I just don't get the ability. It isn't fair in the slightest.

Jackson

Any plans to tweak teleport?

Maybe make a delay before they can fire...? I'm getting killed before they appear on my screen. :/

There's a tell when they leave and enter combat. Unless you're not paying attention. We may tweak the time a bit on the tell.

There's a tell when they leave and enter combat. Unless you're not paying attention. We may tweak the time a bit on the tell.

I felt like I had the guy telegraphed, but I was dead before my MG could get a single shot off.

Also, bug to report if you are zoomed in and a guy teleports into your FOV it goes entirely white until you release the zoom. Kind of annoying!

Okay, perspectives after about 8-10 hours of play since the beta started, I'm a level 22 (would be 24 cept for the experience eater bug ;)) paladin, generally keep my K/D over 1, occasionally I have amazing games, I'd say I'm good but not great :) This was supposed to be a paragraph or two, but it turned into an Essay. Jackson, hopefully you'll find some of this feedback useful, feel free to ask for any clarification on any of these points. Are there any plans for a post mortem on what you all learned from the beta?

My position on this game, what it is, and what I think it needs to do keeps evolving. First of all, I'm enjoying the game more and more, I'm def. going to buy it, and I really hope it generates a large enough community to sustain it's ambitions. As I've gotten a feel for the weapons, and what to expect I find myself having a ton of fun, even in the matches where I'm getting pummeled. What I came to realize, is that this isn't so much a game about being in cover, as it is a game about getting your opponents out of their cover. Sure, you could just sit back in cover, time your shots with a sniper and pick up some kills, but if you do that, it's almost guaranteed that someone will come around you from behind, or pop an ability and charge you, or use the trident or swarm and push you of cover. Therefore, the best strategy is to be mobile, and stop your opponents from being mobile. It mostly works; matches between two teams that know what they are doing feel like a chess match, with positions being traded, players making heroic stands to keep the other team pinned, and one player making the flank and racking up kills. I love that feeling, watching a plan come together, seeing all three of your enemies suddenly surround on both sides of their cover, and watching all three go down; It takes patience and a little risk taking, which when it works out, it just feels damn amazing. When cover based systems for shooters became de rigueur this is what I wanted them to feel like, but they always ended up resulting in the same kind of campy tactics, or charging at each other with shotguns.

Drones are done well, and the really add to the tactics, preyons are powerful, but easy enough to shoot down, and pretty rare, so I don't have an issue. Warbringers are great for soaking up some fire, or forcing your enemies to watch another angle so you can flank them, and I always like to have a stalker up to keep some fire on my enemies. None of them are game changers in a game, but they can help you out of a tight spot, or make a difficult manuever possible.

So the high level strategy of movement and tactics feels great, I love that element, but the lower level mechanics of making an individual jump and shooting, those need a bit more TLC. They are still enjoyable in the current state, it's kind of like panzer dragoon meets gears of war, but a few tweaks could really put them through the roof. A few other posters (From HaloGaf I noticed, who are pretty paticular about shooter mechanics) pointed out that combat can feel random and and a bit unfocussed. I think this comes from a few places.

1. Reticules are big, with lots of auto aim, so it feels like lining up the perfect shot isn't as important as putting down a lot of fire. Even if the level of auto aim/aim assist isn't tweaked much, changing reticules to give more accurate weapons a tighter circle would go a long way to making them feel accurate. Even just adding some cross hatches or a circle in the circle like Halo Reach's DMR would help.

2. Visual indication of an enemies health. Right now there's a ton of visual indications going on, but not a lot of good information. Shooting a guy results in massive explosions coming off their body, and your reticule turning red after each hit. That's nice, but it's redundant information, maybe the reticule should get more red as my enemies health gets lower, or the explosions off their armour could get larger. It makes it hard to make a decision when a guy is charging right at you, whether you should go to blind fire, retrreat, or keep shooting to finish him off, especially in a networked environment.

3. Passive bonusses have large, hard to predict, invisible effects, making it feel like the damage you need to do seems to change based on every enemy you fight. Once again, a visual indication of your rate of damage could go a long way here.

With the way I play, I try to setup fights so I'm not relying on my aim over the other guys, I try to put myself in a position where I can't lose before I engage, so these elements only really bother me about 10-15% of the time, but it's still an issue, and an area where the game can improve.

Weapons themselves feel powerful, and there's a lot of guns, though signifigant overlap between them. Generally, great job with the sandbox so far, hopefully with a few buffs (SMGs need a little love IMO) a few nerfs (swarm gun, y u so easy to use?) the weapon set will gel nicely. As I've played more, and gotten better, I find myself gravitating more towards three basic weapons. the Battle Rifle (though the N3 may be replacing that as my weapon of choice), Semi auto sniper, and double barreled shotgun are my main three weapons, and I'll occasionally do something weird to play with a build. (.50 calibur handgun + infinite ammo was pretty fun, that thing has beastly range. Siphon + the PDW smg was great to get around cover even and flush people out, even if I didn't get many kills). For abilities, I almost always use the satellite, frag grenades, or meta Armour depending on what the situation calls for. In terms of passive buffs, spec ops/ armored are my choices. My strategy is get around and flank, so using abilities, or surviving as I fly between cover is important to my strategy. So when I said before that the weapons were unfair to newbies, I can see that I was wrong; I now mostly use only weapons that are available to new players...

but, the weapons still feel really unfair to newbies, and that is a problem. See, I personally prefer the semi auto sniper to the bolt action, but when you first get one shotted by the semi auto, and you realize there's no one shot capable weapons in the default set, it feels pretty unfair. You don't see the smart balancing elements, like having to be scoped to charge it up, you just see a red tracer and the deployment screen. Or as a novice, the first time you face a Swarm user or a teleporter and you realize some of the later guns aren't just tweaks, but guns with major functional differences it's frustrating.

Level design is generally quite good, but defense array is problematic. It is possible to flank on Defense array, but it's challenging to do so, and it requires a lot of teamwork. I posted my strategy above, but even with a solid strategy, the map doesn't flow much, and I find I do best using a grenade/sniper combo. Generator is my favorite, it results in a lot of push and pull, quick flanks, and the occasional amazing aerial snipe. Dry Dock is a snipers paradise, but if you can break through on one side of the figure 8, you can route out your enemies.

Overlord as a gametype is confusing as hell, I've read the description, but I still don't know exactly what's going on. I thought I had it right, but at points I've lost overlord without dying (someone on my team got a higher overlord level, became overlord, then died, costing us the game :\ ), and it seems like non overlord players get passive buffs (if so, it further adds to the randomness of combat) KOTH and TD are classics, and fine. I'm looking forward to the other 4 gametypes.

Okay, finally the Meta game. Right now, it's a cool concept, but it's mostly just a way to track faction wins and losses as far as I can see. There's a bit of choice in choosing a location for passive buff improvement vs. a location that helps your faction, but I'm not sure if it adds a lot of long term motivation, and it makes matchmaking confusing for some players. I saw some press interviews suggesting that each cycle may introduce plot events based on who wins, which would make it more interesting, but right now, it's a nice wrapper, and not much else.

So keep this up, this is the kind of fresh thinking that I've been wanting in a shooter since I first played gears all those years back. Great job so far, I'm really excited to see what's coming next.

Teknoman

Just started playing the beta, and maybe I missed something in the tutorial, but i'm kinda confused on which continent to start on.

NA seems like all the battles have been fought, South America, Africa, and Asia seem mostly untouched, and Europe is a hot zone.

Didn't realise that the codes would be US only.

Here's two I just got by email:

PCMYQ-D6W6R-2CPJJ-HVQQ9-DMWTZ

PCVM6-H6V4F-26449-DY9XP-P26QZ

Teknoman

Wow this game is awesome. The style of music, art, able to take cover no matter the orientation of the ground, and it plays like another spin on the Valkria Chronicles style of third person shooter meets SRPG.

Its really different and once you get the hang of it, flows nicely. Kinda wish people would talk more though...seems like no one speaks in XBL games anymore.

Can someone explain to me how I can find a game? I've been searching for a game for a little over an hour and havent found a single person. I waited for 30 mins in NA and spent the rest of the time looking for a match in Europe, Africa and South America.

:(

Kinda wish people would talk more though...seems like no one speaks in XBL games anymore.

Yeah it's funny. I had an Xbox at launch and for the first couple years, everyone talked. Didn't have one from like 2009-2012, and just got a Slim, sans headset of course. No one talks anymore.

I think it's because they don't package a headset anymore.

Emitan

Yeah it's funny. I had an Xbox at launch and for the first couple years, everyone talked. Didn't have one from like 2009-2012, and just got a Slim, sans headset of course. No one talks anymore.

I think it's because they don't package a headset anymore.

Party Chat.

totowhoa

Banned
Can someone explain to me how I can find a game? I've been searching for a game for a little over an hour and havent found a single person. I waited for 30 mins in NA and spent the rest of the time looking for a match in Europe, Africa and South America.

:(

?

I don't think you should be able to even search for a game while in NA (every district has been taken). You should be able to find a game anywhere else though. Are you sure you're on the right screen? It should be mostly blank aside from the faction logos and "Searching For Players - X/6". I can't believe you had trouble finding a game around that time, as I was playing around the same time that you posted (maybe just a little before then) and I was able to find games OK (2 - 8 minute wait). Possibly a problem on your end as well, that's strange.

Had the level up bug occur several times today, so I'm only 28 still, which stinks. Had a really great day today. Shotgun + Meta + Spec Ops is my go-to combo. I'm also enjoying the Gambler, Battle Rifle, and Swarm.

I'm a bit sketchy with the snipers, but I've only tried bolt action and the starting one... I haven't tried the burst yet. Some people are great with the bolt action, but I really struggle with it actually. I was expecting to use it as my main once I finally unlocked it.

I never liked the Pit Bull, but I did like the Gambler OK... haven't tried the Magnum yet, but that's next on my list of guns to check out. I still haven't tried the SMGs aside from the Vulcan. I need to give them a whirl again, but I was really turned off by them initially. Anybody a fan of the pistols aside from the Gambler? I'm not really sure I know what the advantage is. Like I said, I haven't tried the Magnum yet, but I didn't like the Pit Bull (but I may have also been using it wrong). I haven't seen *anybody* using the pistols except for the Gambler and the occasional person giving the Pit Bull a spin for the first time around the unlock level.

Hellraider

Apparently you have to be in north america to join the beta.Quote to reveal a code (I copied Shinnn's way of doing this whole "quote to reveal" thing, hope I did it right).

Mington

Have my code, I'm going on holiday tomorrow

Hello!

Congratulations! You’ve been accepted into the Hybrid closed beta! Your access key is below.

T4YJ9-JH46J-WRWKR-DKCKR-VJFRZyou

The beta is currently live and will close Wednesday, May 9th,

In order to participate in the beta, you must have an Xbox live gold account. Your Xbox account must have its region set to North America.

Holy crap, that fixes a ton of problems. Why didn't you say something earlier! Did I just have my head in the sand and miss it?

So is that why the mission system works like it does now? With pretty much any mission being available at any experience level?

I got an extra code via E-MAIL. Code will be posted in my profile, in the Steam user name section. Anyone who grabs it, post here to let others know.

El Sloth

Banned
Okay. Teleport is ruining the game for me. It's not even fair. It gives you like a second to react, and by the time you do, you're dead before they appear on your screen.

I just don't get the ability. It isn't fair in the slightest.
Shotgun.

And remember not to aim and just blindfire and move around a lot. Jumping over to their side of cover throws off a lot of teleporters.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just played this for the first time yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. I want to like it, and the mechanics seem solid on paper, but for some reason it just feels very clunky and messy to me. Getting in and out of cover doesn't feel as smooth as I'd like it to.

I think I might be missing something, because man I got my ass kicked in the 3 or so games I played last night. Probably just because people have been playing the game more, but man, it was brutal. I had a really hard time spotting enemies, and even finding the right places to hold down. The fact that you use the ceiling as ground is kind of overwhelming and disorienting, I almost wish they'd rotate the camera when you're taking cover on the ceiling.

The weapons feel pretty nice however. I'm not quite sold on how effective they actually are, but they feel powerful. It almost seems as though the shots are never going to be accurate enough to justify ever using your sights. It feels like they want you to just spam gunfire.

All in all though, I love the look of this game, and I WANT to like the mechanics, but right now it just seems too messy for me to be interested in improving at.

totowhoa

Banned
I like my snipers though. :(

As soon as you see the teleporter beginning to appear, go to cover behind him, turn and kill. If using a shotgun or gambler or something, you can get the first shot in... Flipping over cover will also help

You can also retreat if you're in a goof place. Teleport takes a lot of practice. If you have meta or siphon or something, launch it as well

Top Bottom