• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection: Trailer and Screens - Spring 2011

j^aws

Lord Error said:
European Ico has various levels of film grain degradation filter that you can apply after you've completed the game once. It's pretty neat. As for the framerate, let's give it a rest. If Ueda feels like 30FPS suits his games best, let him do it. These two are the exact opposite of twitch based games where the 60FPS would give you an advantage in noticing something and responding to it faster. You will not be any better or more efficient at playing them because of framerate. Since there's no gameplay advantage to it in these games, the rest is all subjective and what looks 'right' to some people doesn't look right to others.

I still have the original European Ico somewhere, but never finished it. I have an additional incentive now to go back to it. Still, it would've been nice to apply those filters from the beginning like other games let you. And since you mention that the game gives you options for filters, after you finish it, then that makes it even more disappointing for the lack of 60 FPS, as an option, especially when you get Stereo 3D support.

Ueda can do whatever he wants, I'm not stopping him. I don't have to agree with him either; citing "atmosphere" as a reason is as valid as any other element that changes the games atmosphere. Also, you don't need 60 FPS for "twitch" based games, nor do you need 30 FPS for 'arthouse' games. Since 30 FPS is pretty much the standard in Console Space, Ueda is hardly going against the grain (no pun intended).

And really, if you want to drop the subject of framerate, then stop replying and discussing it. :p

MoonsaultSlayer said:
That major plot hole ONLY exists from a gameplay point of view anyway. In film, we wouldn't be complaining because it happened off screen. But in HR we were supposed to be playing that character. Bad design choice, but I'll live with it.

"It's a videogame so the story doesn't have to be good to be good" is also a huge non-argument.

Gameplay/story segregation is just an extra hurdle games have to jump over if they want to have good stories.

Just like movies have to deal with stuff books don't have to because they are visual.

And while videogames(like every other medium) have some level of suspension of disbelief/acceptable breaks from reality(like not dieing after being riddled with bullets). Some things are unacceptable in how they contradict their story.

Oh and you didn't make up an excuse for the apparent fact that everyone in Heavy Rain is about as mentally functional as an 8 year old.

StuBurns said:
I didn't offend me at all, it's just very stupid, much like your earlier posts in the thread. I just think you're an idiot really.

:D laughing so hard right now. Thanks. My Giants were sucking so hard before I turned it off. Thanks for the good times.

Fimbulvetr said:
"It's a videogame so the story doesn't have to be good to be good" is also a huge non-argument.

Gameplay/story segregation is just an extra hurdle games have to jump over if they want to have good stories.

Just like movies have to deal with stuff books don't have to because they are visual.

And while videogames(like every other medium) have some level of suspension of disbelief/acceptable breaks from reality(like not dieing after being riddled with bullets). Some things are unacceptable in how they contradict their story.

Oh and you didn't make up an excuse for the apparent fact that everyone in Heavy Rain is about as mentally functional as an 8 year old.

For the record, I said I'll deal with it. I also said if you think it sucks, don't take it personally not "it's a videogame... oh well". I see that from many other posters, but i didn't say that. I did think the story's concept was good but felt it was poorly executed. But I didn't mind.

MrPliskin

Banned
StuBurns said:
You really are the worst poster I've ever come across. That post is beyond moronic.

Man, what gives with you lately? You're just a huge dick to a lot of people on GAF. If you don't like someone's post, there's an ignore function, save yourself some face dude.

StuBurns

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
:D laughing so hard right now. Thanks. My Giants were sucking so hard before I turned it off. Thanks for the good times.
Was it the lack of the 't' or the insult that did it?

To answer the earlier question, not at all, you don't understand the post because you're an idiot.

MrPliskin said:
Man, what gives with you lately? You're just a huge dick to a lot of people on GAF. If you don't like someone's post, there's an ignore function, save yourself some face dude.
I don't think I've been any different, and beyond this guy, I don't think I've insulted anyone. I called Che a twat yesterday, but he doesn't post here anymore as far as I know.

EDIT: But you're right, that is what ignore is for, I shall use it.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
For the record, I said I'll deal with it. I also said if you think it sucks, don't take it personally not "it's a videogame... oh well". I see that from many other posters, but i didn't say that. I did think the story's concept was good but felt it was poorly executed. But I didn't mind.

Then why did ami's comments against the story bother you enough that you tried to argue that the plot wasn't bad.

If you had already accepted his opinion as being his instead of calling him a troll and attempting to refute his argument.

StuBurns said:
Was it the lack of the 't' or the insult that did it?

To answer the earlier question, not at all, you don't understand the post because you're an idiot.

I didn't notice the typo if you had one (wouldn't care about that.. I don't bash people on the internet on a personal level...) just the fact that you're so bent out of shape has me laughing because as far as I'm concerned, I'm just being neutral yet getting flamed by some dude on the internet. This is what I stopped watching the Ginats for and it's way more entertaining.

Fimbulvetr said:
Then why did ami's comments against the story bother you enough that you tried to argue that the plot wasn't bad.

If you had already accepted his opinion as being his instead of calling him a troll and attempting to refute his argument.

I don't care if he didn't like it. It was the way he brought it up and the points he used against it coupled with his comments in this thread about SOTC.

I've been known to pick apart HR with my buddy (and HR fan) at work many times. I felt it was sort of snooty for a mod but maybe I shouldn't have held him up on a pedestal heh.

StuBurns

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
No you're right; it's way off topic.

Anyway, I've never played Ico somehow. What did the UK version add other than the two player mode and grain filter?
An extra weapon, additional ending and translated language for Yorda and co.

Seda

Fimbulvetr said:
No you're right; it's way off topic.

Anyway, I've never played Ico somehow. What did the UK version add other than the two player mode and grain filter?

A slightly new ending and a lightsaber, I believe.

I haven't played Ico either

I've played Ico only once so I'm looking forward to another playthrough.

I still love the fact that I found it years after release when it was out of print and going for who knows how much on ebay brand new at a rundown "electronics" department in a Sears for cheap. Was an excellent christmas gift for myself that year.

StuBurns said:
An extra weapon, additional ending and translated language for Yorda and co.
Y'know, I've always hated this creative decision. Give me filters, extra weapons, whatever will impact the gameplay, but don't screw with the story like that.

StuBurns

Banned
Exclamation-One said:
Y'know, I've always hated this creative decision. Give me filters, extra weapons, whatever will impact the gameplay, but don't screw with the story like that.
I've played it thru with that on, and in some ways I agree, in others I'm not sure. I won't post any spoilers, but they basically say exactly what you would think they were saying given the context of the situations. There aren't really any strange reveals. And there is something beautiful about not knowing what they said, and I didn't for a number of years. Ultimately I think it's a nice option for those who want it, but I don't think it was needed at all.

The whole focus of the game is Ico and Yorda not being able to communicate in a traditional manner, and having to deal with that, but that isn't actually changed when you have the translation on, because although you know what she's saying, he still doesn't.

I certainly don't think it's the right way to play it first time thru, but that option only unlocks once you've finished it.

epmode

Exclamation-One said:
Agreed. Ambiguity is nice sometimes! But I'm one of those people who doesn't obsess over the ending of Lost in Translation (even though it's not exactly the same thing).

StuBurns

Banned
epmode said:
Agreed. Ambiguity is nice sometimes! But I'm one of those people who doesn't obsess over the ending of Lost in Translation (even though it's not exactly the same thing).
That is a great ending to the film, I love how it distances you from them before separating them. Although they both lived in LA so it was probably just "lets get a coffee when you get back".

LiT is almost the opposite message to Ico, it's about two people who grew together very quickly because they were essentially the only people who they could communicate with, similar to Before Sunshine in that regard. Ico and Yorda's relationship is held back from that lack of communication.

Not knowing what the guy said in the Just video is bad though.

StuBurns said:
That is a great ending to the film, I love how it distances you from them before separating them. Although they both lived in LA so it was probably just "lets get a coffee when you get back".

LiT is almost the opposite message to Ico, it's about two people who grew together very quickly because they were essentially the only people who they could communicate with, similar to Before Sunshine in that regard. Ico and Yorda's relationship is held back from that lack of communication.

Not knowing what the guy said in the Just video is bad though.

Man, I really can't wait to play it again. Just thinking about their relationship and knowing what they need to do together to get things done is powerful stuff. Is it even worth it playing the PS2 version on an HD tv (haven't tried it yet)? edit: meaning, i haven't played the game since getting the tv not that I haven't played the game in case people find my post contradicting.

leroidys

It would be cool if there was a really small colossus. Like a bird or a monkey or something that you had to chase through a jungle and then finally murder once you catch. That would drive home the sentiment that you're fucking up the world for your own selfish desires IMO, although it might not fit the game design.

Totobeni said:
SCE Japan Studio is completely pathetic and just the biggest joke on the industry right now

54jehj.jpg

Afrika
Ape Escape franchise
Aquanaut's Holiday series
Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation) series
Dark Mist
Demon's Souls
Doko Demo Issho / Toro franchise
echochrome franchise
Everybody's Golf series
Folklore
Kung Fu Rider
LocoRoco franchise
Numblast
Patapon series
Patchwork Heroes
Piyotama
Shiki-Tei
Siren series
Team ICO games
The Eye of Judgment
The Last Guy
Tokyo Jungle
Trash Panic
White Knight Chronicles series

an incomplete list of games developed or published by JapanStudio for the PS3/PSP (note that published = funded + own IP + sometimes co-developing like sound design etc.)
This includes ICO (HD), SotC (HD) and TLG which brings us to:
HomerSimpson-Man said:
So the studio that let's Ueda get all the time and money he needs to develop his games, is bad to work for? Have their team somehow been mistreated?
Them leaving, is a good thing to them, how?

They basically cater to about a thousand niche groups combined with artsy-fartsy, wacky ideas and novelty (both gameplay&design). They are an awesome addition to the worldwide lineup of SCE.

klee123

SolidusDave said:
54jehj.jpg

Afrika
Ape Escape franchise
Aquanaut's Holiday series
Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation) series
Dark Mist
Demon's Souls
Doko Demo Issho / Toro franchise
echochrome franchise
Everybody's Golf series
Folklore
Kung Fu Rider
LocoRoco franchise
Numblast
Patapon series
Patchwork Heroes
Piyotama
Shiki-Tei
Siren series
Team ICO games
The Eye of Judgment
The Last Guy
Tokyo Jungle
Trash Panic
White Knight Chronicles series

an incomplete list of games developed or published by JapanStudio for the PS3/PSP (note that published = funded + own IP + sometimes co-developing like sound design etc.)

They basically cater to about a thousand niche groups combined with artsy-fartsy, wacky ideas and novelty (both gameplay&design). They are an awesome addition to the worldwide lineup of SCE.

Ignore him, Totebeni is usually the debbie downer when it comes to SCE. People ignore what SCEJ has done because they've mainly focused on the PSP, but IMO, a lot of their PSN stuff is quite original and refreshing to play.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if the Japanese branch actually funds for more PS3 jrpgs, but I suspect they prefer the third parties to handle it.

Sega

TalonsOfJustice said:
My balls are teeming with excitement for these masterpieces being 3DHD.
Yeah, it's interesting that Ueda said they were considering stereoscopic 3D during development of both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, even though the tech wasn't where it is now (which still has a ways to go IMO). I feel like it could either hurt or help SotC, but I'm really curious and excited to see which and how. Ueda said, "I’ve already experienced this throughout the trial build and was overwhelmed with the results. That’s how much the 3D element brings to the title.", so he seems to love it. At least, I hope he wouldn't say so if he didn't actually believe it.

Vard

Has it been confirmed that the 2 player mode will be in ICO HD? I never got the chance to play through it that way but would love to.

Boss Man

I don't think the box art is that bad. The God of War Collection box art set the bar really low though. As nice as it is to have God of War and God of War 2 on a BR disc, sometimes I like to forget that it's there because the box art is so horrendous.

I never played ICO, and wow at the transition. Will definitely pick this up when I have time to play it, ICO looks like something that could be released this gen.

...even though it pains me to say it, my PS3 is starting to make me wish that I could afford a 3D TV.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
StateofMind said:
I don't think the box art is that bad.
There's no final art yet......is there?

RPGCrazied

Will buy this. New PS3 slim owner. I want to support the whole PS2 collection HD thing. I so want SE to get on this. Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Must. Get. Them. All.

soldat7

I would give lots of money and a few animals to own a superduper collector's edition, but I'll take what I can get. So excited.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Wasn't sure where to post this, as it doesn't really deserve its own thread, but Ueda just tweeted about Reign Over Me, the Adam Sandler/Don Cheadle film about a dude who's family died in the 9/11 attack and copes with it.

ワンダと巨像が出てくる映画といえば「再会の街で」です。 http://bd-dvd.sonypictures.jp/reignoverme/ ワンダのPR映画かと思うくらい出てきますので気になる方は是非。良い映画です。
http://twitter.com/fumito_ueda/statuses/9536471383937024

Google translate didn't really help any. Something about SotC and Wander, I think.

Schlomo

Ellis Kim said:
Wasn't sure where to post this, as it doesn't really deserve its own thread, but Ueda just tweeted about Reign Over Me, the Adam Sandler/Don Cheadle film about a dude who's family died in the 9/11 attack and copes with it.

http://twitter.com/fumito_ueda/statuses/9536471383937024

Google translate didn't really help any. Something about SotC and Wander, I think.

He says "There's a film called "Reign Over Me" where SotC is featured. It gets so much screen time you could think it's a SotC commercial. Check it out, it's a good film."

Top Bottom