• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm at a Japanese wedding and see this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen that show (I'm American) I guess it all depends on the context or situation

David Walliams does :

ximjj40.png

In little Britain. Context is NSFW, but search for "Bubbles & Desiree" if you want on google. Those two ladies are naked in the sketch show... a lot.

Did you see the dreadlock dude's hat? I think they are just mixing up what ever they have seen on TV. Still it's ignorant as hell no matter how you turn it. But that's not so uncommon in Japan.

Oh definitely. It doesn't look like they were trying to insult African Americans though.

I wonder if there's some significance, like the couple went there on holiday or something.

whitehawk

Banned
my sides! my sides!!

I'm literally doing a rofl right now. Well more like rolling on bed laughing. Oh god. This is too much.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
what the fuck. that must have felt like you were suddenly stepping into another dimension

can someone who understands Japanese traditions please explain how this would be relevant to a wedding?

my god this is so overtly racist I think it'd actually match 1920s America lol

Usually during the party portion of the wedding friends of the bride and groom will put on some sort of show, usually comedic, to celebrate their wedding. It can range from someone doing 100 practice strikes with a giant wooden sword to apparently black face.

Have you seen Japanese people dressed as white people before?

Seriously, they have no culture or history of this sort of thing being inappropriate. Cultural relativism.

Have you seen Japanese people dressed as white people before?

Seriously, they have no culture or history of this sort of thing being inappropriate. Cultural relativism.

I recall a news story about stores here in Japan selling party masks designed to look like foreigners had really big noses. Some European tourists saw the masks and filed an official complaint. A lot of drawn pictures of Westerners in school textbooks and other media have exaggerated nose sizes.

It's sad that I opened this thread, shook my head, and just went "yup, that's about right."

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single person in that room who realized why or how this would be offensive.

Man, Japan is so fucking oblivious to everything. Hahaha. It makes me laugh but at the same time I'm bewildered as to how they manage to be unaware of how batshit racist some of the stuff they do is.

Acid08

Banned
Man, Japan is so fucking oblivious to everything. Hahaha. It makes me laugh but at the same time I'm bewildered as to how they manage to be unaware of how batshit racist some of the stuff they do is.
Stuck in their own bubble like a lot of countries.

koryuken

Japan is so ignorant in its racism, its almost charming. I lived in Okinawa for about a year. I remember walking by a hip hop club with a back bouncer up in front. A Japanese couple walk by and ask him, "Do you play black music?". I was dying...

The funnier(sadder) part is that he said yes and they walked in. Can you imagine how that shit would go down in the US?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Japan is so ignorant in its racism, its almost charming. I lived in Okinawa for about a year. I remember walking by a hip hop club with a back bouncer up in front. A Japanese couple walk by and ask him, "Do you play black music?". I was dying...

The funnier(sadder) part is that he said yes and they walked in. Can you imagine how that shit would go down in the US?

Guarantee you that was not his first day. lol

unreon

Holy shit, from the Miigro to the flag/pie chart to the Mii. I actually fell off my chair in tears and hysterics. Bravo.

Apath

it's a tribal photograph. your workplace would get offended by that!?

It's no worse than you see in a national geographic magazine lying around lol
I've never understood why tribal dick/tits is different from "regular" dick/tits. I mean, if there were white tribes would they be censored?

Japan isn't the only place that calls Hip-Hop black music.

It's really easy to make some of you laugh, some guys with brown paint on them and a picture of a mii and you're all tearing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom