• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: First Light |OT| Make Fetch Happen

iM7p0s1CNMAgE.jpg

ibtLWrJxAhBEZ8.jpg

lt519

On a side note, it's kinda funny that 16 out of my 31 gold trophies have been from PS4 games. So, I've doubled the amount of past 6 years in just 9 months. Seems like they've eased the requirements for those since the last generation.

And 7 of your 31 came from an expansion. It's nuts. I felt like when I wrapped up the game I got 4 golds and a platinum within 5 minutes. Not that it matters, just curious how they decide what game gets to have how many.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that collecting all lumens and doing all the races/graffiti etc will not give enough SP to level up all skills unlike Second Son where it seemed there was the perfect amount to collect to level up everything.

Instead it seems the challenges and such need to be done to collect enough.

Anyone who has maxed Fetch out can you confirm or deny? Maybe it requires a mix of both?

Just lame because I don't care for the "x/100 times" type of things.

Grinchy

Banned
I finished the story last night. I thought it was an enjoyable little ride, but I wouldn't give it a rave review or anything. For people who enjoyed SS, this is just some extra enjoyment. For people who didn't enjoy SS, you're not likely going to enjoy this either. The mission structure is very basic and the scope of the story is much more limited (as it's meant to be).

The game plays so well that even when missions are basic and side missions are sparse, it's at least fun. I haven't delved too deeply into the arena yet, but it looks pretty awesome so far.

Lima

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that collecting all lumens and doing all the races/graffiti etc will not give enough SP to level up all skills unlike Second Son where it seemed there was the perfect amount to collect to level up everything.

Instead it seems the challenges and such need to be done to collect enough.

Anyone who has maxed Fetch out can you confirm or deny? Maybe it requires a mix of both?

Just lame because I don't care for the "x/100 times" type of things.

To fully level up all powers you need to collect everything and complete all challenges.

Melchiah

And 7 of your 31 came from an expansion. It's nuts. I felt like when I wrapped up the game I got 4 golds and a platinum within 5 minutes. Not that it matters, just curious how they decide what game gets to have how many.

Only four of them so far. ;) Resogun's main game had also five gold trophies.

Grisby

Just some more pics.

I really love how game animations have become so detailed that we can see Fetch's hand on the ground after a jump. Lots of good little details.

Major spoilers folks:
Fetch's face
during the end scene is nuts. That has to be one of the coolest final kills in a game.
http://minus.com/i/X6zxIxEoMvBO
http://minus.com/i/bwvPupvyughtG

Some other spoiler pics that I thought turned out nice. Some great emotion being played out too. Really impressed with Fetch's facial animations.
http://minus.com/i/Sj9E2SJxLIrm
http://minus.com/i/Minv87KZuD0g
http://minus.com/i/xOUcRY0m6GZx
Is there a plot twist?
Not really.

Darknight

So how do equip the DUP skin? On my console it says download failed but under "other" or whatnot, it says installed. Do I have to beat the game first or is it only for the challenges? I just started, 12% so far but want to know it it really didnt install properly.

Grisby

So how do equip the DUP skin? On my console it says download failed but under "other" or whatnot, it says installed. Do I have to beat the game first or is it only for the challenges? I just started, 12% so far but want to know it it really didnt install properly.
I think you have to beat the game. Also, it's only available for the arena areas.

ByakuyaEXT

Neo Member
So get this, I deleted the game, redownloaded, and made a New save file, and it still won't open.

Edit: I had nodded my ds4 to have xbone sticks. I just tried to switch controllers, and it worked like a charm. Maybe I damaged the touch pad in the process?

that would be a bummer. I changed the sticks aswell and i am having that issue
Well fuck its the xone sticks tested it with my girlfriends ds4

mstevens

Wow I *HATE* the 500k beta rescue challenge. This shit is impossible.

Missles dont even help because they blow up the hostage. And some of these dudes are rushing and hitting the hostage in one hit once they see me shooting.

Trying to keep the multiplier up and save the hostages is so frustrating.

lt519

Missles dont even help because they blow up the hostage. And some of these dudes are rushing and hitting the hostage in one hit once they see me shooting.

Easily the hardest challenges, I beat the survival modes with about triple the score required before I actually got bored and just died on purpose. Rescue missions however I tried to keep going and barely got past 500k. It seems you need to get a good randomization of hostage location/wave spawning. If you are in massive trouble the singularity move does not harm hostages so it's a good bail out when you don't think you'll get there.

One thing to do is that when things get hectic you can snipe off the attackers and go collect the hostage later when multiple hostages show up at once. Also charging up your melee finisher to 3 can make quick work when you are in a jam.

mstevens

Easily the hardest challenges, I beat the survival modes with about triple the score required before I actually got bored and just died on purpose. Rescue missions however I tried to keep going and barely got past 500k. It seems you need to get a good randomization of hostage location/wave spawning. If you are in massive trouble the singularity move does not harm hostages so it's a good bail out when you don't think you'll get there.

One thing to do is that when things get hectic you can snipe off the attackers and go collect the hostage later when multiple hostages show up at once. Also charging up your melee finisher to 3 can make quick work when you are in a jam.

How do you kill the big concrete guys without killing the hostage? If I shoot missles, the hostage dies... If I shoot normally, they bullrush the hostage and knock him off.

edit: Just got 500k beta survival no problem, wasn't stressful in the slightest. I just hate the rescue ones.

lt519

How do you kill the big concrete guys without killing the hostage? If I shoot missles, the hostage dies... If I shoot normally, they bullrush the hostage and knock him off.

I use a singularity with those most of the time since they are rarer, but stasis attacks also stall them from rushing. So I usually launch a stasis attack at one, send a fury of missiles his way, then focus my attacks on the other, stasis attack that, and then flip back to the first guy to finish him off and then finally flip back to the second guy. Missiles work well you just have to be between the hostage and those guys. Basically ping back and forth between the two stalling them before they can start their rush. It's not easy, I usually lose those hostages if I don't have a singularity.

Melchiah

This tip helped me with it.
Keep the multiplier up and by the time it hits the twenties search for a yellow shard to double it and blast you singularity, it's like an instant 200k if you have a fresh wave.

I think the alpha rescue is harder due to the layout of the arena. In beta it was usually a straight path towards the hostage. I've got 415k on alpha at max, and there has been no yellow shard in sight to help reaching 500k. =/

EDIT: I'm having trouble with the challenge, that requires shooting flying enemies while being on air. It doesn't seem to register kills that are made during a jump.

someday

Banned
I finished the story last night. I thought it was an enjoyable little ride, but I wouldn't give it a rave review or anything. For people who enjoyed SS, this is just some extra enjoyment. For people who didn't enjoy SS, you're not likely going to enjoy this either. The mission structure is very basic and the scope of the story is much more limited (as it's meant to be).

The game plays so well that even when missions are basic and side missions are sparse, it's at least fun. I haven't delved too deeply into the arena yet, but it looks pretty awesome so far.
I found the story pretty blah, but the arena mode more than made up for it. It's a blast.
Most hostages don't require you to have to kill the concrete guys. There are usually only a few guys to kill to save the hostages and if you hit L3 they will highlight in red. I just kill the ones I have to, save the hostage, then use rockets or whatever to kill the hard ones, or run away if I'm low on health.

lt519

EDIT: I'm having trouble with the challenge, that requires shooting flying enemies while being on air. It doesn't seem to register kills that are made during a jump.

The way I did this was in the beta arena. I used the stasis to blast enemies off the platforms, jumped off following them, went into focus and shot their weakpoints (to get the weakpoint challenge as well). It was one of the challenges I had to cherry pick and not do naturally.

I found it also works just on the ground, you can send guys into stasis and then just jump and hit their weakpoints. Hope its not glitched for you.

The alpha arena does not have shards. The rescue on that was actually the hardest challenge for me. I started to find that just launching missiles randomly when my multiplier was flashing would keep it going since they would heat seek someone.

mstevens

That's funny, because I didn't really have a hard time with the Alpha rescue. Maybe I just had a better handle on the layout. I'll try the L3 button to highlight the guys I need to kill.

Melchiah

The way I did this was in the beta arena. I used the stasis to blast enemies off the platforms, jumped off following them, went into focus and shot their weakpoints (to get the weakpoint challenge as well). It was one of the challenges I had to cherry pick and not do naturally.

I found it also works just on the ground, you can send guys into stasis and then just jump and hit their weakpoints. Hope its not glitched for you.

The alpha arena does not have shards. The rescue on that was actually the hardest challenge for me. I started to find that just launching missiles randomly when my multiplier was flashing would keep it going since they would heat seek someone.

Thanks for the tip, again. =) It just happens, that I've got the weak point challenge ahead as well.

Oh, f**k. The yellow shards would have made it so much easier. I often lose hostages just because I can't get to them in time. Beta was a piece of cake compared to the alpha.

KorrZ

Just finished this last night. Really, really fun. As much as I loved Second Son I found the Neon powers in this to be so much more fun than any of the individual powers Delsin had. They just absolutely nailed the traversal with the Neon run, Neon clouds and dash working together so seamlessly.

My only complaint is that I wish it was much longer! I barely got half of all the upgrades by the time I finished the campaign.

NJShadow

It was sort of a rush job, but I went ahead and threw together a First Light trailer via Sharefactory. I hope I did inFamous and Fetch fans proud. I certainly enjoyed it. This was edited/created entirely in ShareFactory.

Oh yeah, potential minor spoilers, but if you played Second Son, you already know what's coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN9M9EsudbY

I'm absolutely in love with the game. For $14.99, you have absolutely no reason not to jump in. Reading the reviews was somewhat strange, because I keep hearing "but you only have one power", yeah, and that power, in its truest form, is really freakin' awesome. If you played and enjoyed Second Son, you'll love First Light.

Slixshot

Banned
I'm absolutely in love with the game. For $14.99, you have absolutely no reason not to jump in. Reading the reviews was somewhat strange, because I keep hearing "but you only have one power", yeah, and that power, in its truest form, is really freakin' awesome. If you played and enjoyed Second Son, you'll love First Light.

FTFY (lol)

mstevens

God damn I am frustrated. Decided to take a break and do beta survival. Got to round 30 no problem.

But I can't for the life of me get close to 500k on rescue. Guys keep getting blown up, multiplier keeps restarted. Ughhh.

Bliddo

God damn I am frustrated. Decided to take a break and do beta survival. Got to round 30 no problem.

But I can't for the life of me get close to 500k on rescue. Guys keep getting blown up, multiplier keeps restarted. Ughhh.

Weird, I did it in one try. Forget the multiplier, points stack up quickly in later rounds. The missiles do not blow the hostage up, I almost exclusively use them, they are really overpowered. So just focus on the hostage as soon as you see the green 'stain' on the map, then spend the rest of the time circling around firing missles and recharging.

mstevens

Weird, I did it in one try. Forget the multiplier, points stack up quickly in later rounds. The missiles do not blow the hostage up, I almost exclusively use them, they are really overpowered. So just focus on the hostage as soon as you see the green 'stain' on the map, then spend the rest of the time circling around firing missles and recharging.

So you would go up to the hostage and his 2-3 guys, and use missles square on them? I swear they're killing the hostage, but maybe something else is.

I hated rescue until I realized I had to actually touch the NPC after killing the baddies around him.

I was just clearing them baddies expecting the Hostage to run away.

I usually weakpoint snipe

hydruxo

So how is this guys? I got the plat on Second Son but I haven't really followed this at all. Is it more of the same just with Fetch or is it different enough to warrant a buy? I'm just asking because I got a little burnt out on Second Son.

someday

Banned
For me, I always ran for the hostage the moment they were announced. I used L3 to pinpoint where they were going to be and often got there before any damage had been done to them. I mean, I dropped everything to save the hostages. Then, during the lull, I killed everything I could. I used the singularity whenever I felt overwhelmed and you earn them pretty regularly. If I was low on health, I just ran and ran until I could find a place to either heal, or take on more neon to heal. I'm usually pretty mediocre at this sort of stuff but I really found it attainable. Those homing rockets were amazing to use too.

Finished it last night, what a great game. It really shows what went wrong with SS, having a game and world designed torwards a single power makes everything so much satisfying even though it's still Seattle, traversal is fun with the neon boosts and you can just zoom around killing enemies.

I really hope that whatever SP does with Infamous next, it's a single power again.

mstevens

Yup, I always did that, missle then light bolt who survived.

Ahh thank you. Seems to be working most of the time. Only time it is doing what I was describing is the enemies that go into that concrete shell once you hurt them enough... I blast them with the missle and they insta kill the hostage. Not sure why.

mstevens

Yup. Using missles on certain hostage guys causes some sort of instant kill attack.

Got up to 300k and died. The multiplier is my problem because I was on like round 25 and only at 300k.

Hate this shit.

Fisty

Ahh thank you. Seems to be working most of the time. Only time it is doing what I was describing is the enemies that go into that concrete shell once you hurt them enough... I blast them with the missle and they insta kill the hostage. Not sure why.

Maybe try saving Singularity for those specific hostages, it doesnt hit the hostage. Either that or melee+finishers

lt519

Maybe try saving Singularity for those specific hostages, it doesnt hit the hostage. Either that or melee+finishers

That's ultimately what I'd suggest, they show up rarely enough that you should always have one available. I did notice the missiles killing the hostages so I'm interested in what mrstevens is seeing as far as the instant kill enemies. Even then you should be able to do the mission losing the occasional hostages to the concrete enemies, just keep that multiplier up.

The gameplay in this is soooo good. This game definitely benefits from focusing on a single power instead of giving you all the ones in SS.

I do wish there was more side-stuff to do in Seattle though. Some more neon grafitti or extra challenges would have been pretty cool.

Top Bottom