• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

I've just started the paper trail side mission. I'm on part 2 and I'm trying to unlock the drone with the keypad but I just can't do it. I guess the number and even though they come up as correct with no crosses it keeps telling me its invalid.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've spent an hour this morning trying to do it.

Sciortino

Just finished getting platinum not to long ago! With new DLC supposedly coming, do you guys have any ideas on what powers they might add? All I can think of atm is glass which was hinted at in the game.

Kinsei

Banned
I've just started the paper trail side mission. I'm on part 2 and I'm trying to unlock the drone with the keypad but I just can't do it. I guess the number and even though they come up as correct with no crosses it keeps telling me its invalid.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've spent an hour this morning trying to do it.

If the number is yellow that means you have the correct number in the wrong spot.

Arrrammis

Just finished getting platinum not to long ago! With new DLC supposedly coming, do you guys have any ideas on what powers they might add? All I can think of atm is glass which was hinted at in the game.

Also, there was concept sketches for wire powers as well. Personally, I'd be happy to have a continuation of the paper trail storyline with Celia (dat cliffhanger), even if we don't get more powers. But you know Sucker Punch, they'll have something epic to show at E3.

wilflare

just started on this game
should I turn on the 30fps limit

and I use the Pulse Wireless Elite
I have downloaded the profile for inFamous SS via the Headphone App
I have switched the PS4 audio setting to have All Audio on Headphones

what should I select for in-game audio mix setting?
should I turn on or off for VSS?

Mini-comment about the last 10 minutes and the rest - could be spoilerish:

I finished the game and defeated the evil witch. But I'm not satisfied or happy,
because my brother is dead
. I didn't expect so much emotional depth in this game after playing it for quite a few hours.

The Nirvana cover during the credits was cool and made me wondering why music wasn't more public during the actual game.

Anyway, nice popcorn video game entertainment.

valkyre

The game looks unbelievable but am i the only one to notice some jaggies on railings and such? I am not trying to undermine the incredible job of SP delivering a launch window title of such detail, but simply to know if everyone notices this minor thing with jaggies on railings.

Kinsei

Banned
The game looks unbelievable but am i the only one to notice some jaggies on railings and such? I am not trying to undermine the incredible job of SP delivering a launch window title of such detail, but simply to know if everyone notices this minor thing with jaggies on railings.

I haven't noticed the jaggies, but then again I sit quite far from my TV while I play games. What I have notices is quite a lot of clipping. I flown through entire buildings with the third power.

DieH@rd

Banned

That's specular aliasing (Specular pass is effects that makes metal surfaces look rough, bumpy and shiny when hit with specific angle of light), common theme that will be seen in this generation of consoles. :( AA solutions are not applied always "at the end" of the pixel processing. Sometimes after AA devs add other filters [Dof, blur, etc], and... specular highlights... which then is not covered with AA and can showcase clearly visible aliasing.
http://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/things-that-need-to-die/ < edit - just noticed, this article is written by RAD engine coder :D

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_order_1886-23530-2752_0008.jpg
Look at the metal beams that hold the train rails... that's the only piece of game that is aliased. Look at the Order 1886 E3 trailer, that scene when Galahad exits the carriage and activates its radio, metal parts on the gun on his back are heavily aliased. We shall see if 4x MSAA will make those artifacts go away.

The only AA technique that is trully best... is downsampling of entire framebuffer. :D

H4r4kiri

OKay i got a really Stupid question.

I finished the Game ( good) and I really liked it. I have every ability than I can have. I just have one question. How do i get more Power and more R1 abilities ?

I have watched some YT videos and they could shoot the R1 skill like 8 times ( me 2or 3 ) and they had a lot more Power to use. How do i get this power ? I absorbed a lot of Splitters. I dont get how to get this. :D I am just dumb i know. I played the game the " hard way " :D

EDIT : I found it :D I am so dumb... OMG i laughed to freaking loud about my stupidity :D

You're right. It's not game of the year quality by any means, but it is definitely a beautiful showcase of what the system can do visually. The character models, the face mapping, the fact that things you destroy in the environment STAY destroyed throughout the entire game... all of that is great.

But the story is pretty dumb, especially playing for evil karma, where your cut scenes for infamous decisions and your actions to build evil karma are totally incongruous with your standardized cut scenes and interactions with your cop brother. He'll kind of sort of chastise you for murdering protestors in cold blood, then turn around and playfully quip with you as though it really wasn't that big of a deal. Also, the motivation of wanting to save a few people in your home town doesn't mesh well with a guy who kills dudes trying to make a modest living holding signs on street corners.

Not that any of that is inherent to a generation, but it's bad writing in general, and that combined with the repetitive nature of the gameplay means I won't be revisiting this one unless some pretty dope DLC drops.

I just finished the game and I agree with most of this. I played as a paragon though so I didn't as much of the conflict in the tone of story as you did. One thing I did point out in the other thread was that dumb scene in the beginning of the game when Reggie was driving that bus and it falls in the water when no one says a damn word about what happened to the other people on the bus.

It was moments like those where it kind of made the characters come off as sociopaths as well as just other weird moments like "Why the hell is there a freaking army of drug dealers here with assault rifles?"

Some of the side quest mission design was so damn lazy as well. Especially the hidden camera ones where you start the mission and the camera is like literally right behind you. Hell there was one district showdown where the DUP sent ONE helicopter and that was it.

It sucks because the game has potential and it had some great moments, I really liked the Eugene fight and the end mission section. It's just really weird considering SP used to be really freaking good at making tight level design in their early Sly Cooper days during the PS2 era.

Seik

Banned
I'm so near my first Platinum ever.

I just need to do it at expert and then do the 2 vents + comet drop on enemy trophy and I'm done! :D

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm so near my first Platinum ever.

I just need to do it at expert and then do the 2 vents + comet drop on enemy trophy and I'm done! :D

I'm near the aquisition of my 3rd power on my evil Expert run, all that is missing for me is lvl5 karma and to finish the game.

Seik

Banned
I'm near the aquisition of my 3rd power on my evil Expert run, all that is missing for me is lvl5 karma and to finish the game.

Evil is the easiest and most fun run. You just break and shoot everything.

I kept doing evil stuff by accident when in my first good run. D:

Just reached the second island...almost done and now I only have the expert trophy missing.

Well they said there will be a DLC and that it will be in the scope of "festival of blood".

Doesn't that refer to PaperTrail? There were hours of content added in those releases. I would be ecstatic for some new DLC but I have a feeling we have the game in it's entirety right now, don't you think? :-(

Endo Punk

Got my platinum. It was really hard, took longer than I thought. MGR only took a month in comparison.

No it was easy and a lot of fun but I took my sweet time because I didn't want it to end.

Now give me DLC so I continue this enjoyment.

Tamanon

Banned
Holy hell, that boss fight where you get the fourth power is annoying. I can do great until getting hit with a cluster of "missiles", stunned for a second and then another cluster finishes me off. Finally turned the game off in frustration for now. But love the game otherwise, beautiful and fun.

Also, the story is pretty cool, as is Delsin and his brother.

Pollux

PLATINUM'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First game I've ever completed 100%. And I've played a shit ton of games over the last 20 years.

realcZk

Finally picked this up today, was very indecisive... ended up being lazy and purchasing digital, so there's no going back.

I put about 3 hours in on my first sitting and I'm really enjoying it (20% completion). The game is gorgeous, but the combat and movement are fun, I think it'll be a while before I could get tired of whipping enemies with chains Kratos-style, or zipping from building to building while raining explosive blasts from my palms. The combat gameplay is very simple, but the animations and fluidity keep me wanting more.

The story grabbed me at the beginning and has kept me so far, but the reviews did mention there is a steady decline throughout the game, I have yet to see how I feel about that. I played the first infamous and I wasn't a huge fan, but I felt it was a decent game. So far I'm enjoying this one a lot more.

I'm currently taking the evil path and as mentioned above it's quite funny how Reggie dismisses all evil acts Delsin does, yet harshly criticizes those of others. I think that the good path might make for a better playthrough the first time around.

Seik

Banned
PLATINUM'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First game I've ever completed 100%. And I've played a shit ton of games over the last 20 years.

Just platinum'd it tonight, too! :D

Feels good to have at least 1 plat on 1153 trophies, I was wondering when I'd finally get one.

LakeEarth

I just thought of something awesome that they should've put into the game. You can fast travel from the billboards, right? It's really impressive how little loading it takes to go from one side of the map to the other, but it kinda goes against the game logic. The screen just fades out and fades back in and you're somewhere else.

It'd be cool if they added a teleport power for each of the four power types. Like, if you had smoke, you disappear in a puff of smoke and reappear in the other location (the same animation as the O button). When he reappears, Delsin goes "whoa, that was a rush" or something. I know that's extra work, but I think it would've been cool and avoided the game logic disconnect.

hwy_61

Banned
I think the thing that's impressing the most so far are the facial expressions. The way the characters eyes move for expression. It really has me caring about these characters more.

I think the thing that's impressing the most so far are the facial expressions. The way the characters eyes move for expression. It really has me caring about these characters more.

Delsin's facial expressions are insane.
It's really nailed in very small details.
I love it.

Btw, I love how this game has a lot less bullshit than the others. Getting 100% felt natural in both playthoughs, not a result of an infinite and boring griding. It's the perfect length.

LakeEarth

The facial expressions even happen during gameplay, when he's talking on his phone. Swing the camera around. It's not as detailed as it is in cutscenes, but the fact that it wasn't just his mouth opening and closing like a muppet was a nice surprise.

.J.

Banned
I just finished the game and I agree with most of this. I played as a paragon though so I didn't as much of the conflict in the tone of story as you did. One thing I did point out in the other thread was that dumb scene in the beginning of the game when Reggie was driving that bus and it falls in the water when no one says a damn word about what happened to the other people on the bus.

It was moments like those where it kind of made the characters come off as sociopaths as well as just other weird moments like "Why the hell is there a freaking army of drug dealers here with assault rifles?"

Some of the side quest mission design was so damn lazy as well. Especially the hidden camera ones where you start the mission and the camera is like literally right behind you. Hell there was one district showdown where the DUP sent ONE helicopter and that was it.

It sucks because the game has potential and it had some great moments, I really liked the Eugene fight and the end mission section. It's just really weird considering SP used to be really freaking good at making tight level design in their early Sly Cooper days during the PS2 era.

Haha. I didn't even think about the bus incident early on.

I played through good on expert, then evil on easy. The whole story makes sense and is designed around your choosing the righteous path, and while this is never Oscar winning material, at least there is a cohesiveness to the good side of the story.

You're right about the level design. I'm hoping this was a case of pouring everything into the visual elements to help support the new console. Either way, I never expected a major leap in gameplay or narrative. It's not as though the new generation brought the great minds of literature to gaming. We're playing with the same teams but with slightly better tools. Advancements in narrative will come at about the same rate they always have.

LakeEarth

He already dropped off the people, and was coming back for Delsin when the bridge collapsed. Reggie says it over the phone while you're in the tunnel fighting baddies for the first time, I'm pretty sure.

i just traded this in so i could buy Watch Dogs.

Feel bad now considering how hyped i was before the game came out

religiously followed this thread before i had an account and before its release

although it was a great game and i managed to get platinum

I finished this on good karma path last night. It was fun but not mid-blowing, inFamous 2 is better IMO. My biggest complaint was that there isn't much to do, blowing through the side missions on each district takes like 10 minutes tops. There weren't enough real side missions, although Cole's Legacy was funny and Paper Trail was pretty awesome. The random events were woefully lacking as well. This takes away most incentive to explore the world.

That said, the core mechanics of inFamous have always been fun and they really got it down. Delsin's traversal powers are so much more convenient than Cole's, and the ability to switch between powers was a nice touch. The graphics were pretty great, the reflections and other effects were really impressive.

For the next iteration hopefully they'll add more real side missions and random events to give you a reason to actually explore the world. Great game though, I'll probably take a break from it for a few days then come back to do the evil karma.

thenexus6

I just finished my first play through with good karma. I would've finished it much sooner but I kinda went off it for a while. This was my first Infamous game.

Overall i'd rate it a mid to high 7/10. Visually its very impressive, the characters and story seemed alright. However the world seemed very hollow to me, not much to do and loads of repeating things. I disliked the repeated animations too, especially when you consume a core relay. The boss fights were alright, I didn't like the final one though, I died loads of times lol. One of the most annoying final bosses I've come across in a long while. I did all the side quests and collecting shards then did most of the showdowns and missions straight out. I think its probably easiest this way.

The enemies were pretty frustrating too at times in many instances the game just throws so many enemies at you completely pounding you. And its a little hard to focus on what you're doing. In terms of powered they were all pretty good, not many differences between them all but visually they all do their own thing. I think I liked Neon / power the most. I thought the third power seemed a little rushed, you get the power then learn it instantly. Not to mention I had like over 80 shards so when I got the third power I maxed it out right away.

Another thing I dislike this the comic book style cutscenes to move the story along i've always found them very cheap in games.

I think I will go back and play with bad karma to pickup a few trophies but I am not going all the way through again on the hardest difficultly to get the plat.

Overall, its worth playing, especially now you can pick it up pretty cheaply (i've seen it £20-25)

spekkeh

Banned
This game is so ridiculously pretty. I keep hitting that share button, even though I don't even intend to share it hehe. Especially the China Town section is really nice.

As a game itself it's just decent. Fun but nothing mind blowing. Though nice that it feels like something different for a change.

f@luS

More than a member.
Can we expect some Nice dlc ?
Finished both good ans evil. Paper trail

Need to know If i keep it or sell it

This game is so ridiculously pretty. I keep hitting that share button, even though I don't even intend to share it hehe. Especially the China Town section is really nice.

As a game itself it's just decent. Fun but nothing mind blowing. Though nice that it feels like something different for a change.

900+ shares says this game is beautiful

i think the story could have done with a bit more flavour and maybe some more unique side missions but i really enjoyed it all the same

Smokey

I just started the game. It finished downloading a update file and so I started playing. I'm very early on, but then during a scene change it popped up and said files needed to be downloaded? It shows 41% and 2:16 remaining....it's been there now for the past 25 minutes. I have quit the game and started it back up and it's still doing this. WTF. There is nothing in my download section for Infamous other than a Update File which was completed before I started the game...

Definite mood killer...how do I resolve this?

kitzkozan

I just finished it and it is rare these days that a game has me wanting to play more like a book you can't put down but I finished it in no time at all. It is a little on the short side maybe but I am going to go through and retake all the districts and play Paper Trail.

After I do this do you think SP has any more good DLC planned or think it is safe to sell and just enjoy another title.

Since I'm getting the game for cheap, I'm pleased to hear that it's a short game since it's those that I prioritize given my backlog. It's going to be a nice PS4 showcase title and I enjoy the Infamous series. What's nice about these early games is that they have high resell value. I have a feeling that it's going to be one of those short game which I will platinum. :^]

Started at about 30% complete yesterday, finished at 100% tonight. Played through on normal with good karma. There were many times when I just had to marvel at the visuals, it's a gorgeous game.

That said, the last 20% or so was at times very frustrating. I'll echo a few posts up and say they would throw so much at me I wouldn't know what was even going on. In particular, the first Augustine fight killed me instantly more than once.

Ultimately, though, I rather enjoyed it and look forward to another one in the future.

Is it just me? Infamous Second Son always reminds me of the game Revolution X. I guess its the outfits of the enemy characters combined with the rock and roll style of the main character.

revx0015.png

Top Bottom