• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS Leader Sexually Abused American Hostage Kayla Mueller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodacious

Banned
Repeatedly raped. This is some horrible shit, but nothing new wrt ISIS.

If you don't recall, Mueller was an American human rights activist and humanitarian worker who was captured by ISIS militants in Aug 2013. She was held hostage by ISIS until Feb 2015, when she was killed in Jordanian airstrikes against ISIS at ar-Raqqah, Syria.

http://abcnews.go.com/beta/Internat...al-baghdadi-sexually-abused/story?id=33085923

Before her death earlier this year, American hostage Kayla Mueller was repeatedly raped by the top leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, according to counter-terrorism officials.

Mueller's family confirmed to ABC News that government officials have told them that their daughter, who would have turned 27 today, was the victim of repeated sexual assaults by al-Baghdadi.

"We were told Kayla was tortured, that she was the property of al-Baghdadi. We were told that in June by the government," Kayla's parents, Carl and Marsha Mueller, told ABC News today.

That was nice of the government to inform her parents of her torture...

This is so disgusting. Did he also die in the Jordanian air strikes? I hope so.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

He's still alive.

Bodacious

Banned

No. He is the leader of ISIS, and very much alive.

Though there's certainly no legitimacy as a state to these fucks, he is their equivalent to a head of state. Let that sink in a bit.

KingGondo

Banned
Horrible. She was an amazing person.

Everyone should read Lawrence Wright's story about her and the other American hostages of ISIS in The New Yorker.

cameron

The Yazidi girls who Mueller helped provided testimony after escaping. As did Abu Sayyaf's wife who was captured.

Washington (AP):

Mueller was held for a time by Islamic State financier Abu Sayyaf and his wife, known as Umm Sayyaf. Al-Baghdadi took Mueller as a "wife," repeatedly raping her when he visited, according to a Yazidi teenager who was held with Mueller and escaped in October 2014.

Umm Sayyaf confirmed that al-Baghdadi had "owned" Kayla during Umm Sayyaf's lengthy American interrogation in Iraq, the Muellers said they were told by American officials.

A U.S. official confirmed their account, first reported by London's Independent newspaper. The official was not authorized to be quoted by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Mueller was held with three other women, all Yazidis, the Muellers were told. All were sexually abused. When al-Baghdadi visited, he would take Mueller to his room, the witness told American officials. She would tell her fellow captives — sometimes tearfully — what had happened.

"Kayla tried to protect these young girls," her mother said. "She was like a mother figure to them."

When the teenaged Yazidi girl escaped with her sister, she asked Mueller to accompany her, the parents were told, but Kayla refused, worrying that her obvious Western appearance would lead to their capture.

Beaulieu

So she got killed by US air strikes
And the US governement is telling her familly "she was repeatedly tortured and raped"

hmmm......

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And the US governement is telling her familly "she was repeatedly tortured and raped"

hmmm......

She was abducted while leaving a Doctors Without Borders hospital and captive for 2 years. What the hell do you think happened to her during those two years?

Beaulieu

She was abducted while leaving a Doctors Without Borders hospital and captive for 2 years. What the hell do you think happened to her during those two years?

I don't understand the point of that comment.

What Im saying is that saying "yeah we killed her but she was gettting raped all the time so I guess we kinda freed her, in a way" is a shitty way to go about things

The Yazidi girls who Mueller helped provided testimony after escaping. As did Abu Sayyaf's wife who was captured.

Washington (AP):

Jesus that was so brave of her. Fucking animals.

hmmm......

What the fuck does this mean?

edit: Oh I see your next post. It was Jordanian strikes.

Bodacious

Banned

hmmm......

She was killed by Jordanian airstrikes. Her whereabouts were unknown to western governments at the time, because after there was a failed U.S. rescue attempt ISIS scattered the American hostages to new locations.

Read the article. It tells you how they know this.

Beaulieu

She was killed by Jordanian airstrikes. Her whereabouts were unknown to western governments at the time, because after there was a failed U.S. rescue attempt ISIS scattered the American hostages to new locations.

Read the article. It tells you how they know this.

ah ok, thanks.

giga

Is there some way to put a ban on travel to these areas, if there isn't already? I get that humanitarian workers are doing good work here, but I'm not sure if the risk of capture is worth it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
What is the allure of ISIS?

What is it that I'm not seeing, that makes folks decide to go to the middle east, and take up arms, and commit atrocities against their fellow man?

injurai

Banned
Is there some way to put a ban on travel to these areas, if there isn't already? I get that humanitarian workers are doing good work here, but I'm not sure if the risk of capture is worth it.

If we go that far, we might as well take it all the way and liberate the place. Shame the west failed Syria, I know we didn't want another Iraq but in hindsight we've let an entire populous be ravaged and dangerous radicals embed themselves deeper into the Fundamentalist Islamic counter culture. But I also get that we need joint military cooperation with the surrounding nations.

I don't mean to backseat mod, but don't we have a megathread for all this horrible ISIS news? There's like three ISIS threads on the front page right now. I come to GAF for MCU talk, not a ton of disturbing headlines.

Edit: I'll just PM a mod to ask. Pardon my post.

Valnen

I know some people say that nobody deserves to die, but I can't agree. Everyone in ISIS deserves to die. What monsters. I really wish the world would do something about them.

Hagi

What is it that I'm not seeing, that makes folks decide to go to the middle east, and take up arms, and commit atrocities against their fellow man?

take up arms, and commit atrocities against their fellow man

Kinda answered your own question there. That and the raping will appeal to a lot of people I think.

Soldiers in the past would look forward to taking a city so they could have a great time raping and looting. I think it's just a part of human nature.

injurai

Banned
How do people who hope for peace wish to deal with monsters like this? Just hopefully find and imprison them?

Kinda answered your own question there. That and the raping will appeal to a lot of people I think.

It's deeply embedded in people feeling that they must enter into jihad to fulfill submit themselves as a muslim. I'm not going to argue that they represent true Islam, but in their mind they've decided that's what true Islam looks like. It's mostly people that feel like moderate society has failed them and only see themselves being liberated and healed by committing themselves to Allah in this life. Thus they wage war on the west, women, and fellow muslims. It includes adopting many tangential Islamic philosophies that came later, choosing to follow certain hadith, and looking up to elders that present themselves as religious ideals. Whilst really just being hateful bigoted demagogues that prey on the wasted youth. But yes sexual failing is certainly an additional part of it, but not the sole reason for the majority of ISIS members.

Krejlooc

Banned
My heart breaks for her parents. I cannot imagine the fury and rage they must feel as they say those words.

Did they told this to the family after she was killed?

If so, why???

As fucked up as it sounds, I would want my parents to know. The thoughts of my last moments being unknown is scary to me, for some reason.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Humanity's not a inherently peaceful race, if there's one lesson history teaches it's that. We'll make up and find any random reason to kill our fellow man, race, money, land, tradition, religion, jealously. The list goes on. So there's an abundant amount of people who just want to do that.

HariKari

Transparency

Yep:

The new revelations about Mueller's long ordeal -- which involved torture since the beginning of her one-and-a-half years of captivity, her family has been told by the FBI -- shatter rumors spread by some officials that she had cooperated or was a willing spouse, which has deeply upset her family and many inside her case.

One and a half years of that...

Humanity.

Frog-fu

Banned

The world's leading nations preferably. The US, UK, France, Russia - but pretty much whoever is willing to do something about this fucking travesty. The governments nearest the regions ISIS operates in need to get involved too.

Something has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom