• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Police Using Ace Attorney Characters for Anti-Weed Campaign

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Reportedly, Japan’s Osaka Prefectural Police is using some of the series' iconic characters in a campaign to address marijuana use among children.

Some fans may find this decision intriguing, as the Ace Attorney series began as a commentary on Japanese policing. Although recent titles like The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles took the franchise's trademark visual novel storytelling and puzzle-solving gameplay to other locales, the original games were set firmly in Japan. Overseas fans may have been confused by the court's bias against defense lawyer Phoenix Wright, but in Japanese courts, a case rarely goes to trial unless the prosecution--and the police--are sure of a conviction.

A recent press release from Capcom revealed that the company is working with Osaka police’s juvenile delinquency prevention awareness program to produce 6,000 posters and 4,000 flyers. These materials will feature characters from The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles games, including protagonist Ryunosuke Naruhodo, Kazuma Asogi, and Susato Mikotoba. The design features Kazuma Asogi striking the iconic Ace Attorney "Objection!" pose, with a large "No!" written in the easily recognizable red font the games use for mid-court interjections.

According to Capcom, the Osaka Prefectural Police reached out to the company to request the use of the characters as part of a new anti-weed campaign targeting a younger demographic. Apparently, the police force has noticed a "conspicuous shift" toward younger age groups being implicated in marijuana use cases. Although Ace Attorney generally deals with crimes either far more serious or far more absurd than drug use, the series' strong association with justice and the court of law could help convey a message to potential young offenders. Apparently, the flyers will be handed out with individually wrapped face masks at Osaka Prefectural educational institutions, police boxes, and train stations from December 9, though it's unclear if the face masks will also be themed after The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.

great-ace-attorney-marijuana-poster.jpg

Tschumi

What a waste lol, weed is nothing, maybe they'd get somewhere with an anti-smoking campaign.. in Nagoya nobody smokes, Tokyo on the other hand feels like the 1990s...

What a waste lol, weed is nothing, maybe they'd get somewhere with an anti-smoking campaign.. in Nagoya nobody smokes, Tokyo on the other hand feels like the 1990s...
meh Tokyo is nothing now compared to how it was in the early 2000s. Literally everyone smoked back then...its drastically dropped in young people in the last fifteen years.

Tschumi

meh Tokyo is nothing now compared to how it was in the early 2000s. Literally everyone smoked back then...its drastically dropped in young people in the last fifteen years.
Well i was there for 3 months, ending last month, and every young person i met smoked. So like, "meh"? I guess?

EDMIX

Japan's youth need to just protest, vote, get that shit legal etc.

I feel the Japanese WOULD make the best weed on the planet. They going to be out here in labs building the most complex strains imaginable lol Be like "I sing to the plants daily to keep them happy, I measure their emotions"

Top Bottom