• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese SMG HP is online (BLESS US WITH THE HOLY LIGHT OF MARIO)

fernoca

I was on media black out..but...DARN!!! ..That intro video.. :O!!!!
Next month!!! :D!!!!!

And I don't know why shidoshi is so pissed off at the whole "save the Princess again" thing, since that's been known for like a year, if you didn't accepted that back then that's your problem. :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to find a Wii nao!

Wii said:
Sounds like they added instruments to the Honey Bee World and re-recorded the main Galaxy theme with a real orchestra!

GAME OF THE CENTURY!
QFT! The orchestrated music is fucking awesome!

fernoca

Darn!, side-scrolling levels too!:O!!

Is like they got together one day and decided to make a Mario game, with elements from all games (which was kidna obvious..but..how can they top this in the next game?? Remaking every Mario game ever in one disc with online multiplayer ?? :p ).

mollipen

Thomper said:
What kind of story would you want, man? An epic tale of betrayal, love, and in the end, a shocking twist that Bowser is actually a half-brother of Mario & Luigi?

Well, at the end of the day, I don't want anything, because I don't play Mario games. I just think it's ridiculous to keep up the idea that Peach seems to get kidnapped every other week, especially after she's now been in a number of games and shouldn't be tossed back into the "damsel in distress" role.

The overall idea of video games has grown up since the days of the original Super Mario Bros., and while I'm not going to say that what they keep doing to Peach is sexist, I think it's in a bit of bad taste at this point. If this was the first story of Peach being kidnapped, I'd have no problem with the game. But how many times has it been now (either with her, or Daisy, or whomever)? I DO have a problem with a game series that keeps going back to the storyline of "save the helpless girl", and I'm sorry if some of you have a problem with my having a problem with it.

Sunshine had nothing to do with Peach being kidnapped, right? Some of you in response to my posts have said that the storyline to Mario games doesn't matter that much, so if it is such a small thing, then why not have it be something that DOESN'T involve putting the franchise's top female character in a continual state of peril? Have it just be about Mario going around collecting shit. Have it still be about Bowser acting like an ass, but WITHOUT the continual princess-kidnapping.

Unison said:
Get real.

It's not like Nintendo is unable to come up with something different. It's a joke... did you never play any of the Mario RPGs, which make fun of this? Even Super Mario Bros. 3 made fun of this in the ending...

*boggle*

And I have no problem at all with using it as a joke. Here, it's being used as a serious plotline to a major Mario title. It if was done as a joke-say Mario gets to the end of the game, and Bowser and Peach are like "fooled you!"-that'd be great. No problem. But I seriously doubt it is, and I happen to find it a bit insulting, both to the character of Peach and to players.

But hey, that's just wacky old me.

shidoshi said:
Well, at the end of the day, I don't want anything, because I don't play Mario games. I just think it's ridiculous to keep up the idea that Peach seems to get kidnapped every other week, especially after she's now been in a number of games and shouldn't be tossed back into the "damsel in distress" role.

The overall idea of video games has grown up since the days of the original Super Mario Bros., and while I'm not going to say that what they keep doing to Peach is sexist, I think it's in a bit of bad taste at this point. If this was the first story of Peach being kidnapped, I'd have no problem with the game. But how many times has it been now (either with her, or Daisy, or whomever)? I DO have a problem with a game series that keeps going back to the storyline of "save the helpless girl", and I'm sorry if some of you have a problem with my having a problem with it.

Sunshine had nothing to do with Peach being kidnapped, right? Some of you in response to my posts have said that the storyline to Mario games doesn't matter that much, so if it is such a small thing, then why not have it be something that DOESN'T involve putting the franchise's top female character in a continual state of peril? Have it just be about Mario going around collecting shit. Have it still be about Bowser acting like an ass, but WITHOUT the continual princess-kidnapping.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT :lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Superblatt said:
Then enjoy your last Wii purchase of 2007.

Ok, along with SSBB.
He can buy NiGHTS as well:
54bbjvl.gif

Why why why did I have to be going on holiday in November?

Oh well, It's not so bad I guess..I come back a week after this comes out.

fernoca

shidoshi said:
Well, at the end of the day, I don't want anything, because I don't play Mario games.
shidoshi said:
Sunshine had nothing to do with Peach being kidnapped, right?
You said it..you better play some more Mario games then. :p
Sunshine main thing was to rescue Peach.

And there has been quite a few Mario games, which started with you rescuing Peach, to half in the game get her, just to continue playing and discovering that there's something more..

Heck, there's even one game were Peach is the "final boss"..but I won't say which. :p

mollipen

BrodiemanTTR said:
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT :lol :lol

How many female gamers do you know? How about younger female gamers? From the ones that I know, having female characters that they can play as in games is a very important thing, and something that helps many be able to enjoy games more.

Peach, in recent years, and in my opinion, has turned from being the token captured princess to being a stronger and positive female character in the series. And, I think while some of you may laugh my entire argument off and think it's nothing, I absolutely think that tossing her back into that archaic role of captured princess is bad for the character and her image to gamers, especially younger female ones, who do see her as a positive character.

If you take a look at the female characters that exist in gaming, there are so many examples of utterly terrible and/or demeaning ones. The examples of strong, positive female characters in gaming has certainly increased over recent years, but there's still a long way to go. I think, because of that, Nintendo should have more respect for the Peach character (arguably their biggest female character, I'd guess more so than Samus).

fernoca said:
You said it..you better play some more Mario games then. :p
Sunshine main thing was to rescue Peach.

Just to correct, I've played most of the main Mario games (as in, not stuff like the RPGs and whatnot), but I got my GameCube pretty late and never touched Sunshine. So, yeah, I was wrong about that one.

And there has been quite a few Mario games, which started with you rescuing Peach, to half in the game get her, just to continue playing and discovering that there's something more..

I just, again, don't like the idea of continually using her kidnapping as the basis of the game, either for part or all of it.

Holy crap at the MUSIC OF SUPER MARIO BROS 3 !!!!!

Holy shit at the MAGICKOOPA !!!!!

Edit: the first reviewer that will not give a 10 to the graphics of Mario Galaxy will sink to the hell, ok ?

fernoca

shidoshi said:
I just, again, don't like the idea of continually using her kidnapping as the basis of the game, either for part or all of it.
Don't worry... :p
Just play the game and enjoy it...
Remember that they already made a game with Peach rescuing Mario and..it wasn't as successful (sales-wise) as Mario-rescuing-Peach games... :p

So maybe that's why Nintendo is sticking to "tradition".. :p

hail to the king baby!

Super mario Bros.3 BOAT THEME ORCHESTRATED !!!

holy mother!!!

game to end all games!!

seriously , change the title.. wtf@OP SMG? Fail!

SuperAndroid17 said:
hail to the king baby!

Super mario Bros.3 BOAT THEME ORCHESTRATED !!!

holy mother!!!

game to end all games!!

seriously , change the title.. wtf@OP SMG? Fail!

The Microsoft & Bungie Thread of bullshits is monopolising the GAF and almost nodoby has seens these incredible videos. :lol

MutFox

Banned
Holy Crap, that looks like it had AA on atleast x2.
That's the best looking platformer to date, on any system.

Plus the orchestrated SMB3 music is just icing the on the icing.

RagnarokX

ant1532 said:
OH MY GOD. YOU START AT MUSHROOM KINGDOM!! FUCK YES.

Fucking awesome
We already knew this... Like a month or two ago they said that the game starts as the mushroom kingdom is celebrating a festival because a comet is passing by their planet. Bowser attacks, kidnaps peach, and Mario gets blasted away to some small planetoid high above the planet.

Jiggy

Someone please change the title. I never would have figured out what this thread was about if I hadn't seen the videos elsewhere first.

And they're incredible, by the way. I don't how Nintendo managed to pull this off--I consider Mario 64 and Sunshine to just be B+ games, and have been adamantly insisting that I'd wait for a price drop on SMG--but Galaxy's looking simply stupendous and these videos have turned me around. Day one, baby. Day one. I'll skip other games instead.

shidoshi said:
I just think it's ridiculous to keep up the idea that Peach seems to get kidnapped every other week, especially after she's now been in a number of games and shouldn't be tossed back into the "damsel in distress" role.
Well, to some extent I agree, since we've seen her fighting in Super Princess Peach, Super Paper Mario, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and frankly she's been shown to have skills far surpassing Mario or Bowser. SSBB Peach would blast Mario or Bowser into oblivion no doubt, SPP Peach did beat Bowser to save Mario, and SPM Peach... well, she was still better than Bowser.

But there's some credibility here storyline-wise. I mean, (spoilers for those still trying to go on media blackout)
Bowser's got armies of airships that shoot fiery cannonballs, plus he seems to have inherited some kind of magical electricity power
. What exactly is Peach supposed to do about that?

I don't see why the damsel in distress role is so commonly understood as demeaning. Every person in life has circumstances happen to them outside of their control, whether it's a natural disaster or the death of a friend or any such thing, and often it's only the help of others that enables them to get through the situation. A damsel is no different--a villain comes along and captures her and she requires a hero. So what? Mario required the help of Peach and Bowser in SMRPG and Super Paper Mario. Link frequently needs the help of Zelda. Samus wouldn't have survived the ending of Super Metroid without
the Metroid hatchling
, and she wouldn't have survived the beginning of Metroid Fusion without some scientists. We can't do everything on our own, whether it's in life or in a video game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Holy shit this game is going to be awesome. And the thread title does not give enough credit to the greatness of these videos

Saoh

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT INTRO WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

sorry Brawl, but Galaxy is GOTY!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
This game even has fucking Monkeyball in it.

Anyway, not much I can say that hasnt been said. So many different gameplay scenarios in those vids. Its like a big ball of hardened, condensed gaming semen. Or something.

ant1532

Banned
RagnarokX said:
We already knew this... Like a month or two ago they said that the game starts as the mushroom kingdom is celebrating a festival because a comet is passing by their planet. Bowser attacks, kidnaps peach, and Mario gets blasted away to some small planetoid high above the planet.
Yeah, but I assumed it would just take place in a cut scene like something similar to the way SMS started on the plane.

I concur with all the thread title change suggestions!
Needs something that's true to just how groundbreaking this update on SMG has been.

Definitely the Ships come from Super Mario Bros. 3. There is many things that are taken directly from it, like the music and the ability to change suit with power-ups.

Top Bottom