• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

or you just read about it here when people complain about it

thats how i watch wwe

giphy.gif

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I watch the show on watchwrestling the next day, make sure I catch every promo in full and skip the matches that are boring and/or feature people I dont care about.

In Dec all I wanted out of 2017 was the Dark Tower movie to be cool and good

2 weeks and no hype away, it's confirmed to not even be 96 minutes long with credits

smh

Cagey

Banned
Dragon Ball references remind me that I've finally concluded, after 7 months worth of episodes shown on Adult Swim, that Dragon Ball Super is absolute fucking self-referential ironic hipster bullshit trash and the animation is ugly too.

Sephzilla

Dragon Ball references remind me that I've finally concluded, after 7 months worth of episodes shown on Adult Swim, that Dragon Ball Super is absolute fucking self-referential ironic hipster bullshit trash and the animation is ugly too.

What are your thoughts on GT?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I tried to give it a chance and it was immediately way too goofy.

like dragon ball could be goofy because it was about kids and got dark at times. dragon ball z was dumb shonen stuff and only had a few light hearted moments.

super is like it was written by twitter or some shit like i'm expecting vegeta to go WHEN BAE SAYS HER PARENTS ARENT HOME

Sephzilla

Complaining about DB Super being self referential is kind of silly when DBZ started being self referential when the Androids showed up and never stopped being self referential after that

Cagey

Banned
DB Super is the Independence Day: Resurgence to DBZ's Independence Day.
DB Super : DB :: Young Bucks : Attitude Era

A cynical, calculated cash grab full of fucking terrible fourth-wall breaking winks to some random bit of the prior source material in a fourth-wall joking manner. The older iterations took themselves just seriously enough in presentation to not undermine the story, whereas this new garbage can be summed up as "remember this and how silly that is? only true fans get it!!!!!" masturbation.

It's like watching a really bad version of those DB Abridged YouTube videos... but as the actual source material, not a parody of it.

What are your thoughts on GT?

I only watched part of GT and that was many years ago, but from what little I remember, GT had the decency to present itself at face value.

Frieza telling Goku the naming conventions of the SS God stuff was too convoluted and they should really work on better names was my last straw.

A lot of these complaints probably apply to modern pro wrestling now that I think about it.

Sephzilla

Oh c'mon. Super is way better than Independence Day 2

At least Super doesn't have one of its main characters
die off screen
and then have another main character from the previous installment
die a completely pointless death

GT is probably more cash-in fanwank than Super is. The show pretty much opens with "hey, remember kid Goku from DragonBall? Guess what, HE'S BACK" not to mention it pulls they "bring back a previous villain" shit even more than Super

Anth0ny

dragon ball has always had throwbacks to previous concepts introduced in the series and never shied away from breaking the 4th wall/making fun of itself

super is just poorly written at times. the original story is much much better.

Per PWInsider,
Hardys/Revival
tonight

Next week's Raw will have
Finn/Drifter No DQ; Seth and Dean vs Miz, Bo and Curtis; and Bayley/Sasha with Summerslam #1 contendership on the line (feels like that'll have a fuck finish, Dave said last week both women's titles looked like they would have multiple opponents for that PPV)

Cagey

Banned
GT is probably more cash-in fanwank than Super is. The show pretty much opens with "hey, remember kid Goku from DragonBall? Guess what, HE'S BACK" not to mention it pulls they "bring back a previous villain" shit even more than Super

I watched roughly half of GT and certainly won't defend the series on the whole.

It's the fourth-wall breaking with the litany of self-references that I dislike. You want to bring back some silly little thing from some long distant episode? That's cool. You want to do that and have the entire purpose be the equivalent of some shitty Twitter user's comment/joke/meme/etc. but said by the characters in the course of the show? Nah, not for me.

Super and the Buu saga episodes both air on Saturday nights, so sometime during the week I'll watch during lunch back-to-back. The difference in presentation is night-and-day: DBZ wants to present itself at face value (jokes are in the course of story) whereas Super wants you to know the makers are totes in on the jokes and are total fanboys k? "Ya let's go hang out with Yamcha" ooooh shit they know people think Yamcha's a joke.

Pls stop with the meta nonsense and just give me an entertainment product. Pls/

Sephzilla

Finn Balor went from being the first Universal Champion (which the daughter of the owner of the company forgot) to feuding with The Drifter....

I watched roughly half of GT and certainly won't defend the series on the whole.

It's the fourth-wall breaking with the litany of self-references that I dislike. You want to bring back some silly little thing from some long distant episode? That's cool. You want to do that and have the entire purpose be the equivalent of some shitty Twitter user's comment/joke/meme/etc. but said by the characters in the course of the show? Nah, not for me.

Super and the Buu saga episodes both air on Saturday nights, so sometime during the week I'll watch during lunch back-to-back. The difference in presentation is night-and-day: DBZ wants to present itself at face value (jokes are in the course of story) whereas Super wants you to know the makers are totes in on the jokes and are total fanboys k? "Ya let's go hang out with Yamcha" ooooh shit they know people think Yamcha's a joke.

Pls stop with the meta nonsense and just give me an entertainment product. Pls/

Is the characters of DragonBall acknowledging that Yamcha is scrub-tier really a wink wink thing by the writers though? I mean, Yamcha hasn't won a fight since before DragonBall Z. It would be weirder if the characters didn't acknowledge it.

Top Bottom