• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD a 'sci-fi terror adventure 22yrs after JP' News/Rumors/Info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
At this point, I just wanna see a fucking plesiosaurus

and dat Carnotaurus . It's a fucking T-Rex with Horns god damnit.

carnotaurus_run_cycle_by_maccollo-d57zj3h.gif

Carnotaurus is such a cool animal, I think it's selling it a bit short to say it's a T.rex with horns.

o9AzVXN.jpg

At this point, I just wanna see a fucking plesiosaurus

and dat Carnotaurus . It's a fucking T-Rex with Horns god damnit.

You will see aquatic reptiles.

And damnit, the Carnotaurus is much more than that.

If the T-Rex is a Lion then the Carnotaurus is the Hyena.

Is the lack of hands supposed to be there? Wonder what happens if it fell down.

It has hands, but they're tucked up next to its body and they're super, duper tiny.

5C03eDR.png

That odd little assemblage of bones coming out of the massive shoulder blade? That's its entire arm.
antonz is right--tyrannosaurs have nothing on Carnotaurus and its relatives when it comes to diminutive arms.

It also has incredibly massive legs. Looks like a weight lifting ballerina.

DedValve

Banned
Is the lack of hands supposed to be there? Wonder what happens if it fell down.

I doubt falling down would help a t-rex with those puny arms (even if they where massively strong, their too damn short).

Seriously whats up with these dinos and their baby arms?

EDIT: Why does the spinosaurus from JP3 has bigass arms? I know nothing about dinosaurs except they kick ass.

I doubt falling down would help a t-rex with those puny arms (even if they where massively strong, their too damn short).

EDIT: Why does the spinosaurus from JP3 has bigass arms? I know nothing about dinosaurs except they kick ass.
Tiny arms are kind of unique to the Tyrannosaurids (Tyrannosaurus and its relatives) and the Abelisaurids (Carnotaurus and its relatives). Most other bipedal dinosaurs have pretty well proportioned arms.

Spinosaurus's arms aren't actually technically known to science, but its closest relatives all have relatively beefy arms (though still kind of short) with really big thumb claws. Just kind of their thing. Different strokes for different dinosaurs.

EDIT: Now that I think on it, the Spinosaurus arms in JPIII were actually larger than they really should have been. I guess the filmmakers were trying their damndest to make it look different from Tyrannosaurus, which is also depicted with too large of arms in Jurassic Park.

Toxi

Banned
I love Carnotaurus. It was like a prehistoric cheetah: All speed, no brakes or steering.
Outside of a few species we do not even know to what extent feathers were covering dinosaurs if at all.

May as well keep it how we have known them until we can prove otherwise
We have found tons of dromeosaurs with feather impressions, many of them with less derived anatomy than Velociraptor. Unless Velociraptor is some kind of weird featherless offshoot like the naked mole rat is a weird furless rodent, it had feathers. Velociraptor was basically a prehistoric bird in everything but name.

Likewise, we have found multiple tyrannosaur fossils, including one large tyrannosaur species, with feathers. However, there are skin impressions without feathers (then again, birds have sections of their bodies not covered in feathers). It's like Tyrannosaurus had feathers, but it's less of a faux pas to show it without them than Velociraptor.

If you want a non-feathered meat-eater, try the carnosaurs like Giganotosaurus (which was larger than a T. rex). There is no evidence of feathers on them yet.

Velociraptor has direct physical evidence of feathers, via quill knobs on its arms.

Though I suppose you could get away with saying that, well, the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park are actually Deinonychus.

But seriously, depicted a featherless dromaeosaurid is like depicting a furless bear.

Toxi

Banned
Velociraptor has direct physical evidence of feathers, via quill knobs on its arms.

Though I suppose you could get away with saying that, well, the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park are actually Deinonychus.

But seriously, depicted a featherless dromaeosaurid is like depicting a furless bear.
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Also, that's a pretty great comparison.
slide_3513_49627_large.jpg

If they are gonna include them, I want those googley eyed carnotaurus the the Lost World light gun game. Best boss everrrrrrr.

Mdk7

That possible plot sounds really really bad, way worse than that dinos used as war weapons that we heard about years ago.

Also i'm super curious to know who this badass dinosaur is, but i am really afraid of the potential outcome of this idea.

Jawmuncher

Yeah can't say i'm exactly a fan of the current rumored plot.
Mainly the whole
Tamed Dinos things.
Regardless i'll be seeing it can't be worse than JP3.

Which honestly I don't even mind so much if it wasn't for the damn child survivor nonsense.
It was a good popcorn flick aside from that.

Hurley

Mainly the whole
Tamed Dinos things.

Which honestly I don't even mind so much if it wasn't for the damn child survivor nonsense.

Is the
tamed dinos
really accurate though?

Colin Trevorrow said a lot of the leaked stuff was inaccurate so it could be that there aren't any
"tamed dinos"
but the basic outline is the same, new park is up and operating, seems safe, but shit goes wrong again.

That's what I'm hoping anyway,

Jawmuncher

Is the
tamed dinos
really accurate though?

Colin Trevorrow said a lot of the leaked stuff was inaccurate so it could be that there aren't any
"tamed dinos"
but the basic outline is the same, new park is up and operating, seems safe, but shit goes wrong again.

That's what I'm hoping anyway,

Yeah we haven't heard anything yet. But hopefully it is inaccurate.
Since the idea of a successful park I am fine with.

Mainly the whole
Tamed Dinos things.

Actually, your spoiler indicates that the dinosaurs would be depicted as animals instead of movie monsters who instantly aggro so I'm completely ok with that.

Jawmuncher

Actually, your spoiler indicates that the dinosaurs would be depicted as animals instead of movie monsters who instantly aggro so I'm completely ok with that.

It would depend on how they handled it.
Obviously I think the last thing any of use want to see is
pet dinos with collars and the like.

Jawmuncher

If this is any indication (and not an old model from the early days but newly made) there won't be any feathers...?

Yeah I have a feeling they won't be going with feathers.
Even if scientifically accurate most regular audiences views on dinos are the exact ones they saw 20 years ago in Jurassic Park. If anything I bet they'll explain away feathers to.

"These are clones thus we just reject the gene which initiates feather growth"
Easily see them having a scientist say something like that at some point if no feathers is indeed the case.

raindoc

Has anyone ever done a feathered CGI Dinosaur? I imagine it would cost a shitload of money more than going for the old school design - if it's at all possible to make them (feathers) realistic looking.

They could have trainers and shows, like in Seaworld with the orcas... After Blackfish, the documentary, we know that it would lead to accidents. "Tamed" T-rex eating trainers in front of the crowd ?

Oh wow, after watching Blackfish, this is a great idea.

bengraven

Damn, Phil looks like he aged forty years, not 20. :( Then again, I stil picture him as a 30-something on the set of Empire.

But I do remember him from Jurassic Park stuff and he still didn't look that old:

tumblr_inline_mt02ghRLt41qz4rgp.jpg

I guess it's:

1) the white beard
2) the fact that his livelyhood was destroyed by Jurassic Park, a thing he still loved but that drove him "extinct" (yes, I know the story behind this, obviously).

I'm pretty much aiming at 2, but I love the guy so I'm looking more at 1 for professionalism's sake.

carnotaurus_run_cycle_by_maccollo-d57zj3h.gif

Carnotaurus is such a cool animal, I think it's selling it a bit short to say it's a T.rex with horns.

It's basically a land shark, right.

bengraven

What's the story about Phil Tippet?

I just hope this film does not suck.

When JP was going to be stop motion, Phil is the one who story boarded all the dinosaur attacks using claymation. He's the legend behind other stop motion sequences such as the tautaun in Empire. When Spielberg was convinced to go CGI (he hesitated because he thought it would look 8-bit "like Nintendo"), he showed the CGI tests to Phil who said "I guess I'm out of a job" and Spielberg replied "Don't you mean extinct?".

The line about jobs being extinct was later used in homage to him by Malcolm in the film.

Also, because he basically BECAME an expert on dinosaur behavior to prepare for the job, Spielberg kept him on as a behaviorial expert (dinosaur supervisor) and they used his stop motion sequences as story boards for the CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLceoQGfK-c

As you can see, they pretty much used his stop-motion sequences 1:1 when filming the scenes and implimenting the CGI. Even the camera angles and timing is 100% Phil.

bengraven

Terrible movies compared to the two books. Trailers need to knock my socks off to get me to see this.

As one of the world's biggest Jurassic Park fans, I have to say that Lost World the book really isn't that good and the film improved on some aspects of it.

I still love some sequences though, like the raptors attacking the high hide.

happypup

The simple answer to the tiny arms question is weight distribution. Early dinosaurs transitioned from a quadruped reptile. The center of balance that is best served for an animal that walks on four legs is at the torso right between the fore and hind limbs. The transition to bipedal locomotion however means the center of balance has to shift to be at the hips. Some dinosaurs returned to a quadruped stance, those that didn't originally used large tails as a counterbalance. As dinosaurs evolved the weight distribution collected to the hip area. Some dinosaurs, like T-Rex, sacrificed their forelimbs for this purpose.

Larger dinosaurs were especially susceptible to this trimming of the fat, as it were, because the increased mass (the Square Cube law) meant more weight held in the tail and an overall less stable structure. The limbs likely provided some benefit, but the benefit of a better balanced body simply out-competed them.

Birds, interestingly enough faced a similar problem with weight distribution. They already had a well balanced bipedal structure, but in order to fly your center of mass needs to be below the wings. So to succeed in both flying and walking they needed to move the center of mass below the wings while still keeping it in line with the legs. They did this by effectively locking the femur in place with the knee joint directly below the wings, and reducing the dinosaur big tail to move the center of mass forward.

MickeyPhree

As one of the world's biggest Jurassic Park fans, I have to say that Lost World the book really isn't that good and the film improved on some aspects of it.

I still love some sequences though, like the raptors attacking the high hide.

I thought the whole plot with biosyn and dodgeson was much more interesting than what we got in the movie.

Camouflaged dinosaurs > bad godzilla rip off.

Daffy Duck

When JP was going to be stop motion, Phil is the one who story boarded all the dinosaur attacks using claymation. He's the legend behind other stop motion sequences such as the tautaun in Empire. When Spielberg was convinced to go CGI (he hesitated because he thought it would look 8-bit "like Nintendo"), he showed the CGI tests to Phil who said "I guess I'm out of a job" and Spielberg replied "Don't you mean extinct?".

The line about jobs being extinct was later used in homage to him by Malcolm in the film.

Also, because he basically BECAME an expert on dinosaur behavior to prepare for the job, Spielberg kept him on as a behaviorial expert (dinosaur supervisor) and they used his stop motion sequences as story boards for the CGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLceoQGfK-c

As you can see, they pretty much used his stop-motion sequences 1:1 when filming the scenes and implimenting the CGI. Even the camera angles and timing is 100% Phil.

Thanks, very interesting. I love that Ian Malcolm line in the film.

Filming starts in early March:

Xz0gI5g.png

I really want Chris Pratt as the lead. Is he going to get it for sure?

He is almost assuredly in, as long as it works with his schedule:

"I am now in contention for roles no one would have considered me for before," says Pratt, confirming that he is in final negotiations to star in sci-fi reboot Jurassic World.

"I know I want to do it and I know the director (Colin Trevorrow) wants me to do it so now it's just a matter of everyone coming together and making sure it can work."

I imagine they should be done with casting soon.

If this is any indication (and not an old model from the early days but newly made) there won't be any feathers...?

Well, considering the JP Rex is the most consistent and iconic Jurassic Park Dinosaur even I do not want to see it feathered. There is still room for newly introduced species to sport feathers.

They could have trainers and shows, like in Seaworld with the orcas... After Blackfish, the documentary, we know that it would lead to accidents. "Tamed" T-rex eating trainers in front of the crowd ?

I'm not sure if I would buy into a tamed Tyrannosaurus, but something like this would be great for shock value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom