• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got beat up badly: How do you guys fight? (if at all...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
sure, if they're doing a 3-on-1 boxing match like in the movies, where one guy at a time goes after the pro. but most likely the three of them would just try to tackle the lone guy, if they're smart, then two of them hold him down while the third works him over. but the pro might get lucky and knock one of them out with the first shot, then only have two to deal with.
Or something like this will happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7PMp-yXHT0

coldfoot

Banned
Fighting is only acceptable as self defense. Never be the instigator or start shit up. Be cool, because fighting is definitely not cool and being able to defuse someone trying to beat you is better than actually fighting. It's also a lot less risky and just the smart thing to do.

That being said, forget about a fair fight if you're forced to. Carry some pepper spray with you, spray the guy and then run away and get the authorities. Let them deal with it, it's their job and they're a lot better equipped and trained at it than you are. Being taken to jail and dealing with all the bullshit is going to be a lot more inconvenient for him compared to getting beat up by you.

overcast

I would call you out for starting some shit, but you were listening to Q.

Seriously though, I think it's best to avoid it as much as possible. I'm skinny like you (6'3, 167), and I know I can't fight that well. If you have to fight, you have to. This sounded pretty avoidable.

Yep, picking a fight is kinda dumb and childish.

However, If it's self defense then there are no rules.
Gun, sword, knives, explosives, ball bats, cars, trucks, bow and arrow, pepper spray, french fry vat cleaning rod, rabid dogs, hairspray can and a lighter, a big rock, a chair, hydrochloric acid, doesn't matter. In self defense your job is to stop the person attacking you by any means necessary.

I usually keep a boiled egg in the pocket of my hooded jersey and pajama pants when I go to clubs. This way I can eat it really fast while running away from the attackers. I like to lead them into the girls restroom because half the time they won't go in, and if they do the jokes on them. I start farting hard and fast from the egg I just scarfed down that way the smell over-powers them and they drop like flies. If any of them are still standing after this I put my hood up so I look like a chubby rocky balboa and start screaming "Yo Adrian". This usually buys me just enough precious seconds to flip out my penis and threaten the attacker with pee. If this isn't enough, like say if the guy left trying to attack you is a cross-dressing chubby chaser and he actually starts making sexual advances I punch myself in balls and scream "rape". This not only alerts other people in the bar as well as the bouncers and staff, it also causes my voice to be of a higher pitch to make myself more believable. You could always avoid the entire ordeal by just walking away or calling the cops, but who wants to go through all that trouble?

I've never been in too many fights but one of my best friends is a black belt in Karate. he said best thing to do in a group fight is to isolate each one and take them down by any means.

Yep, picking a fight is kinda dumb and childish.

However, If it's self defense then there are no rules.
Gun, sword, knives, explosives, ball bats, cars, trucks, bow and arrow, pepper spray, french fry vat cleaning rod, rabid dogs, hairspray can and a lighter, a big rock, a chair, hydrochloric acid, doesn't matter. In self defense your job is to stop the person attacking you by any means necessary.

I usually keep a boiled egg in the pocket of my hooded jersey and pajama pants when I go to clubs. This way I can eat it really fast while running away from the attackers. I like to lead them into the girls restroom because half the time they won't go in, and if they do the jokes on them. I start farting hard and fast from the egg I just scarfed down that way the smell over-powers them and they drop like flies. If any of them are still standing after this I put my hood up so I look like a chubby rocky balboa and start screaming "Yo Adrian". This usually buys me just enough precious seconds to flip out my penis and threaten the attacker with pee. If this isn't enough, like say if the guy left trying to attack you is a cross-dressing chubby chaser and he actually starts making sexual advances I punch myself in balls and scream "rape". This not only alerts other people in the bar as well as the bouncers and staff, it also causes my voice to be of a higher pitch to make myself more believable. You could always avoid the entire ordeal by just walking away or calling the cops, but who wants to go through all that trouble?

Big LOL to this. Very funny.

m3k

yeah man well you didnt bitch out and most people cant defend against more than 2 people

shit hurts maybe you shouldnt talk shit if you dont like getting hit... he sounds like a dick but yeah, unless you have a problem with him that you want to finish yourself id drop it

if he calls you out just make sure you have friends with you, ignore him, or tell him hes full of shit if he cant fight with out his friends

really though you cant feel too bad if this guy jumps you with his friends

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Even if you won the fight he probably would have found you on the street and stabbed you in the kidney if you embarrassed him in public. People end up dead or in prison all the time over pride.

Yeah, don't get into fights with more than one dude. In a self-defense situation, you need to be constantly moving. You need to get the guy that you are engaged with in between you and the rest of them, so that he is your shield. They will be trying to get around him, so you need to keep moving, all the while attacking his weak points (eyeballs, throat, balls, etc.). It ain't easy to control more than one attacker, but it's the best you can do. The problem with what you did is that you never know what randoms are packing. These guys could have killed you. I always carry a knife on me just in case a bunch of fools backs me up against a wall, but I'd never go looking for trouble like this. Use your head, man.

Also, the way you type makes me imagine someone who looks like AJ from the Backstreet Boys. Awful.

It's for stupid people.
But it doesn't hurt if you know how to throw a few punches and kicks yourself. Fighting sports are fun and very good for you. Kickboxing, thaiboxing, mma, do it.

Fighting in real life is for dummies though.

There's nothing which can't be solved with a chat over a pint down the pub. Even if they are the aggressor it's always best to find a peaceful solution.

Farooq

Banned
I know this has been mentioned, but seriously take boxing classes.

After sparring with boxers, street fights are easy mode. I was unfortunate enough to be involved in a street fight (after boxing for about 2 years), suffice to say most men do not know how to fight and you will be able to end it quickly.

DR2K

Banned
If it's a group then get an equalizer. Knife, gun, sword, etc . . . go at them Kill Bill style next time. Or just not fight and move on with your life.

JimiNutz

Banned
Never be outnumbered is your number one rule.
Your number two rule is hit first.

Never get involved in that pushing/shoving thing. If you've decided in your head that you want to fight don't get involved in any of that pushing shit (that's just gonna let the other guy know that its on, and give him a window to hit you).

Luckily all you need to do is go to Boxing for a month or two to learn how to throw a solid right hand. A powerful straight right is quick, less likely to miss than a wild looping hook (which lots of idiots throw as their first punch) and can break a nose or even KO if you land it properly.

Im not going to pretend that im some badass - I've had my ass kicked as many times as Ive won - but I've ALWAYS won when Ive followed those simple rules:

Only fight one person.
Hit first (with a straight right).

I only weight 185lb but I boxed for long enough (only 18 months) to know that if I land my right hand clean most people ain't fighting back (unless they are pro or amateur fighters themselves - which most people aren't).

KAOz

Short bus special
You are doing it wrong. Do it the failsafe method.

1. Get them inside a building (bar, preferably?)
2. Begin to cry
3. They will laugh at you
4. They will keep laughing and turn around
5. As soon as they turn, grab the first chair or blunt object you have, hit them in the back of the head, and then fucking run.
6. Victory!

Next time punch yourself in the face and save them the trouble.

Without training you should never face a group, they could have seriously injured you. Most of the times when someone goes down, the reaction is to keep kicking. And that is damn dangerous.

It happened to me recently.
I was drunk and I went home at 4 am through, there were a group of guys a lot bigger than me that were harrasing a young lady I told em to stop, they beat me up.
I managed to put two or three punches, then make them stop by the police 2 minutes later.
Lesson learned i looked like a zombie for 2weeks.

Kinyou

It happened to me recently.
I was drunk and I went home at 4 am through, there were a group of guys a lot bigger than me that were harrasing a young lady I told em to stop, they beat me up.
I managed to put two or three punches, then make them stop by the police 2 minutes later.
Lesson learned i looked like a zombie for 2weeks.
But at least you saved the princess. That's worth something, right?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
you didn't have to run your post through a wisecracking badass filter because you got all beat up. we're all nerds here.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Next time punch yourself in the face and save them the trouble.

Without training you should never face a group, they could have seriously injured you. Most of the times when someone goes down, the reaction is to keep kicking. And that is damn dangerous.

With training, you should be smart enough not to pick a fight. Especially one stacked against you.

With training, you should be smart enough not to pick a fight. Especially one stacked against you.

If he deems necessary to be an asshole against other assholes, might as well not be a huge meatbag for them. But yes, starting fights is stupid and you accept the risk of escalating.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
1 on 1 fight = Keep spamming punches to the targets face.

1 on 5 fight = Circle into a small ball and cover your head.

If you don't like your chances of a 1 v 1 follow the person into the toilet and unleash on him while hes taking a piss, you will already have won the fight by the time the guy knows what planet he is on.

Note to the toilet thing, you will have no chance of loosing so it will be up to you to remember to stop hitting the dude before hes badly hurt, also instead of a first punch you could push his head into the wall (only do this if you really have reason to because he will lose all his front teeth.)

Short Version
Tip i learned when i was in school was that if you take out the biggest one first the rest of them tend to splinter off and don't be afraid to be a dirty bastard to win a fight

Long Version

1) If you are against multiple opponents and you are on the ground and getting the crap kicked out of you grab one of their legs and pin it to you...and if you can grab the other guys leg pin it to yourself also...it makes it very hard to kick you when you have to people hanging off you...use them as your shield and wait for a gap to smash one of them in the nuts.

2) Keep your eyes protected at all times and in saying that go for theirs if you have the opportunity with an eye gouge or knuckle punch...if you are able to land a good knuckle punch to the eye socket they will swell up pretty quick and not be able to see

3) dont just rely on fists in a fight..you can strike with any part of your body...elbows are not only great for striking but you can cork someones arm or leg if you land it in a soft spot and you dont have to be hulk like to do it

4) Never ever show your back or side to multiple attackers...you are asking for a haymaker...also never go face to face with someone...you are asking for a headbutt and a broken nose

5) And my number one tip....distraction..throw a set of keys to someone and they will instinctively try to catch it...the time that they are distracted is the time your fist is well on their way to their nose...i cant tell you how many people i have sucker punched doing this and if done right it will end the fight right there as the rest of their buddies will be like WTF??

Its very easy to say dont fight but sometimes you have to and as a result of my reputation as a dirty fighter i was never started after a few fights as most people valued their balls and knew that if you were the biggest you were the first to cop it.

pains get better with each fight. slowly you harden the fuck up and after a good dozens of beat ups you can take direct hits in your face without going down like a whussie.

just make sure to cover your jaw as good as you can. it's the weak spot in your face and breaks rather easily(same goes to your teeth which will shatter once your jaw gets hit).
eyes-protection is overrated. they won't get harmed easily as they are protected by the orbit which is one strong badass bone. also you need your eyesight to see your enemy, so don't cover them with your hands. if it isn't exactly a mortal kombat your enemy will not stick his fingers into your eyesockets. don't worry

I've been learning Krav Maga as a form of self defence. I'm only early in but the very practical philosophy behind the style is very appealling and I'd recommend it to anyone. Nonetheless learning these or any other techniques shouldn't change one's mentality to avoid fighting unless absolutely necessary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I listen to my inner sensei and remember that for:

Defence: Hold back!
Offence: Quarter circle forward punch!

1. Put both your hands on the side of your waist
2. Now form a sort of claw with your hands
3. Start shouting Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Meeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

Or don't fight, there is really no point. There are way better things you can do to get back at people.

FreeMufasa

The simple answer is don't fight. Not unless you absolutely have to.

I don't know if there ever really was a time when two guys with beef could duke it out like gentlemen without serious injury or outside interference and become bros in mutual respect after the fact but it damn sure isn't likely today. Today people will not only fight for stupid reasons, they'll maim and kill for them. Outnumbered? Tough luck, because however many friends the other guy has will tell you the number of boots that will be coming down on your skull. And that's assuming you're lucky and one of them doesn't have a gun or knife and an ego they'd literally kill to protect. It's just not worth it these days.

I thought this fight was pretty respectable. Haven't seen anything like this in a long time.

A few weeks ago some road rage dude followed me while i was looking for a place to park, came out when I got out, and started yelling at me. Then pushed me to the ground. I just called the police and got him arrested.

Sure, my ego took a hit by not fighting back, but it felt better knowing I took the high road. Also if I hit back who know what trouble I could have gotten in.

akira28

Don't approach groups. Cowards will always use numbers. I was jumped a few times, but when I picked up that tree branch, bitches did back the fuck up off, because 1 out of 5 didn't want their skull caved in and they knew the odds were at least that good. Of course this was just high school thugs who were still really just kids. (also..thank god for adults and public transportation...standoffs...I hate them.)

Never approach numbers. Shit isn't like the movies where everyone takes their turn.

Also, I would think about teaching this person a lesson, but really escalating this thing probably won't end well...You did approach him.

edit:
I'd get a legal non-lethal just to be safe. If he ever comes at me again, stunning the shit out of him and stomping on his dick for a full 15 minutes should get my point across. No such thing as a fair fight unless you're in a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom