• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Alastor

He's partially to blame for the trend of "westernizing" Capcom games and pushing NT to "restart" DMC, yes? Maybe something will change for the better now...

edit: but I guess it's possible for future projects, and DMC is still doomed.

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/29/inafune_leaving_capcom/

As reason for his departure from Daletto, Inafune wrote, "Work as a CEO requires speaking about your dreams and evaluating your subordinates. If you can do these two things, anyone can be CEO. I've always thought that, and I still do. However, I can no longer do these two at Daletto. I've lost the authority to evaluate my subordinates and the qualification to speak about my dreams."

As for Capcom, Inafune said that he'd reached the highest point in software development at Capcom and there are no additional steps for him to climb. "It would probably be good for me to sit gracefully in this seat and become a leading figure in the industry. However, I cannot do this. Settling down means death for a creator. As long as you are a creator, you cannot settle down."

"Capcom is truly a good company," continued Inafune. "I love Capcom. Probably more than anyone in the world. However, it's not always the case that your hopes are realized. Just like the girlfriend I loved long ago."

"There was a chance that I could continue to be Capcom's power. I bet on that chance until the end. The means of both Capcom and myself to be happy. There was surely the chance. However, now that chance is completely closed off."

Inafune also added that there probably won't be a chance for him to work with Capcom in the future.

While the precise reasons of Inafune's departure aren't clear from the blog post, it looks like he came to the decision a while back. 4gamer posted an interview with Inafune today. In the interview, Inafune tells the site that he's leaving Capcom. The interview was originally conducted at the end of September, but the site held off on posting the interview until the timing of Inafune's announcement.

duckroll

I would say that it seems very consistent with everything he has said in the last year or two. The interview is mostly business-oriented and Inafune talks very candidly about how he feels the industry is headed in directions which makes him not enjoy his job at all. I haven't read the entire thing in detail, but it sounds like he feels Capcom is structured in such a way where there are huge expectations now, and all those expectations are being put on him to manage and he just hates the business. So he finally had enough and quit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess there's still the Street Fighter people (Ono, Takeuchi).

duckroll said:
but it sounds like he feels Capcom is structured in such a way where there are huge expectations now, and all those expectations are being put on him to manage and he just hates the business. So he finally had enough and quit.

Every story has its sides but I'm willing to bet the last 2 years or so of not hitting golden numbers with certain titles didn't help. I'm sure the higher ups pointed the finger at him but at the same time he threw his guys under the bus during interviews.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Dang...definitely the end of an era. Crazy stuff.

I know he hasn't been winning a lot of fans lately, but anyone who had a hand in this will always be OK by me:

m4mc6p

Good luck to you, Inafking.

Sad day for Mega Man fans but I'm happy for Inafune, finally he is free. I hope he find a company to work. Best Luck Inafking.

nemesun

"I've lost the authority to evaluate my subordinates and the qualification to speak about my dreams."
You don't say.

How unexpected. From this interview it seems his talk about big budget, westernized games had a lot to do with the pressure he felt from the higher ups, but he himself would actually like to find his success with games on a smaller scale.

Sectus

duckroll said:
Yes, Capcom will completely change their approach to development and abandon the huge investment they just made in both DmC and Blue Castle Games, simply because one man left the company. Yup.

Nope.
No, but once DmC crashes and burns maybe Capcom will finally realize their outsource plans aren't working out so well, and Inafune won't be there to convince them otherwise.

V_Arnold

Sectus said:
No, but once DmC crashes and burns maybe Capcom will finally realize their outsource plans aren't working out so well, and Inafune won't be there to convince them otherwise.

If, you mind. If. Not once.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
somehow, I feel like we're to blame for this

Blueblur1

I totally see where Inafune's coming from. Hopefully he doesn't leave the industry altogether and continues to work on smaller games at the very least.

faridmon

WTF? that came out of nowhere :lol

So what is happening to all those games he was involved with? Megaman Legend and Megaman Universe comes to mind...

Kafel said:
Hope he'll join Platinum.
Joke?

He was one of the responsible for Clover Closer in the first place.

Wow, this is a surprise but considering the comments he's been making lately it makes sense. It sounds like he wants to keep creating so hopefully we'll still be hearing from him in the future.

onken

Read most of the interview, sad stuff.

Technosteve said:
=( I liked his honesty and candor. Microsoft probably snap him up.

Mumble mumble kinect shovelware project mumble mumble.

Top Bottom