• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MMU is going to suck now.

As someone who disliked Dead Rising, doesn't see what's so great about Resident Evil, and isn't really into Megaman, this doesn't phase me that much.

TreIII

I could have seen the writing on the wall, but even I didn't think it was going to be THIS SOON.

As a long-time fan of Rockman... *salutes* Fare thee well, Inafking.

onken said:
Read most of the interview, sad stuff.

Mumble mumble kinect shovelware project mumble mumble.

Rockman game where you use your arm to make pew pew actions to shoot..... a 12 year old would find that awesome

Korigama

Pureauthor said:
The ones most responsible for the death of Clover is Clover themselves. Don't kid yourself.

I'd think Capcom making no effort to actually market anything they made outside of Viewtiful Joe didn't do much to help.

yurinka

The Bookerman said:
My guess is that Jun Takeuchi will replace Kenji Inafune.
Ouch
farnham said:
what about kobayashi ?
He is the man.
Lyonaz said:
Yoshinori Ono your road to a new Darkstalkers has one less obstacle!
Yep. Awesome news, but they are working in SSFIV 3DS and Street Fighter x Tekken, so they will by busy for some years.

I remember when Ken Kutagari(SP) was leaving sony, that it's japanese tradition not to fire people but politely ask them to resign or something.

Could this be a similar case?

He was certainly turning into a laughing bag you rag and point at, so this is good for Capcom. Inafune should be able to set up shop on his own if he wants, which I'm not sure right now :lol

Canova

Banned
Since he wants to make Western games so much maybe he'd work for some Western companies, like Activision or something. He and Kotick seem like a match made in heaven

Oh dear?

Where is your capgod now?

where-is-your-god-now.jpg

1GabUp

duckroll said:
He does address Megaman Legends 3 as well, saying that it took so long to assemble the staff and to get the project approved that he didn't want to quit at this point, but he just couldn't continue anymore because he really hates his job and doesn't feel any joy or drive anymore.

Really sad to read...

Nessus

canova said:
Since he wants to make Western games so much maybe he'd work for some Western companies, like Activision or something. He and Kotick seem like a match made in heaven

Bullshit.

Kotick sells soap.

Inafune actually makes games.

I find this whole GAF hatred for him funny.

Here's a man with intimate knowledge of the Japanese video game industry. He's been making games for decades.

He has privileged access to the financials of one of the biggest developers in the world.

He's seen how the Japanese video game industry has been shrinking for years.

He sees how regressive some developers are (look at the recent critical responses to the last two numbered Final Fantasy games).

And from his perspective here are Western games which seem to have a much wider appeal, sell far better, and seem to be pushing the medium forward (not saying this is the case, but I can definitely understand how he might have gotten that impression).

Everyone here seems to take his comments to mean "CAPCOM SHULD MAEK FIRST PERSON SHOTTERS!!!1"

I don't think that's it at all.

I think he just wants to make games that aren't so narrowly regional in their appeal, which I think applies to a lot of the Japanese industry currently, if you take a step back and get away from people like ourselves for whom "Kojima" is a household name.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Well, damn.

duckroll said:
He does address Megaman Legends 3 as well, saying that it took so long to assemble the staff and to get the project approved that he didn't want to quit at this point, but he just couldn't continue anymore because he really hates his job and doesn't feel any joy or drive anymore.
:,-(

Nessus said:
Bullshit.

Kotick sells soap.

Inafune actually makes games.

I find this whole GAF hatred for him funny.

Here's a man with intimate knowledge of the Japanese video game industry. He's been making games for decades.

He has privileged access to the financials of one of the biggest developers in the world.

He's seen how the Japanese video game industry has been shrinking for years.

He sees how regressive some developers are (look at the recent critical responses to the last two numbered Final Fantasy games).

And from his perspective here are Western games which seem to have a much wider appeal, sell far better, and seem to be pushing the medium forward (not saying this is the case, but I can definitely understand how he might have gotten that impression).

Everyone here seems to take his comments to mean "CAPCOM SHULD MAEK FIRST PERSON SHOTTERS!!!1"

I think he just wants to make games that aren't so narrowly regional in their appeal, which I think applies to a lot of the Japanese industry currently, if you take a step back and get away from people like ourselves for whom "Kojima" is a household name.
....yet he still can't sell or make games for shit?

Korigama

Nessus said:

Except no one's saying that (at the very least, I'm not saying that).

The problem isn't arguing against the actual issues facing the Japanese gaming industry (which it does have), it's the fact that Inafune has had a habit of automatically deeming anything and everything Japanese inferior to glorious Western efforts. Capcom's games have been among the only ones to sell effectively to both Japanese and Western audiences alike, with franchises having mostly only regional appeal (such as Monster Hunter) being in the minority, a need to make something blatantly Japanese or Western not factoring in for the majority of their IPs. What is the problem, however, is the fact that he expects to achieve the sales numbers of Western franchises through superficial or otherwise misguided attempts to pander to that market. The very fact that Capcom thinks Ninja Theory's vision for DmC has any chance of allowing it to sell anywhere near 5 million copies (when the best-selling installment only went as high as 2.7 million across three platforms in Devil May Cry 4) speaks volumes.

It was already staggering that Inafune actually believed that 5 million sales for Resident Evil 5 wasn't good enough (not that it's all that surprising coming from a man who thinks RE succeeded in the West because the cast spoke English).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nessus said:

Final Fantasy XII's mixed critical response wasn't because it was "regressive" and lumping the criticism of XII in with the criticism of XIII when they were criticized in entirely different ways is unproductive.

DaBuddaDa

Stumpokapow said:
Final Fantasy XII's mixed critical response wasn't because it was "regressive" and lumping the criticism of XII in with the criticism of XIII when they were criticized in entirely different ways is unproductive.
XII was critically received, at least in the west, equally as well as every previous FF game though.

ShinNL

His masterpiece (Zero) shined in X4 (which I believe he has the most influence in), which happens to be my favorite Rockman. This is a shame. His name was attached to way too many things lately, which let me to believe that he's more of a spokesman than a creator now (because no one can really "work" on so many games at once).

Curufinwe

Stumpokapow said:

I think he's talking about FFXIII and FFXIV.

Vinci

Danish
Nessus said:

How far away from Capcom's headquarters is Nintendo's, out of curiosity? If he wants massive mainstream and worldwide appeal, he should probably have been paying more attention to what others in his own country were doing and not play the easier and logically spotty - "The West has got this all figured out!"

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
XIII and XIV

SPEA

Some of you guys are assholes. Inafune seems like a real legit and awesome dude that loves games. I'm bummed he's leaving.

Vinci

Danish
Haunted said:
XIII and XIV

Weren't Inafune's comments about the Japanese industry predominantly from prior to XIV launching though? I mean, given that timeline, Stump discussing XII makes perfect sense.

Flek

Banned
SPEA said:
Some of you guys are assholes. Inafune seems like a real legit and awesome dude that loves games. I'm bummed he's leaving.

seriously me too, i love his way of thinking though:

"Settling down means death for a creator. As long as you are a creator, you cannot settle down."

is the perfect statement. Something fuckers like kotick don´t get.

Top Bottom