• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Oh yes, please now that he is gone and his Mega Man X-hating ways are away, please develop Mega Man X9 (ideally 16-bit SNES style, PSN/XBLA a-la MM9/10) and include X in MVC3.

[Nintex]

Didn't he throw the LP2 team under the bus when it flopped. Saying that they had no love and motivation for what they were doing? That was rather harsh.
Teknoman said:
So think he'll pull a sakaguchi/naka and start his own studio?
Possibly, but he'll have no one to blame.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kaijima said:
The carnival of hate for Inafune is kind of pathetic. While the man became overly negative and emo in the last couple of years, GAF nonetheless blindly twisted his words around to indict him as an idiot. Inafune's comments about the Japanese development community are true - in a broad sense. Fanboys sputtered because of an implied insult to the minority of Japanese developers who are turning out quality product. But in the big picture, Japan is in the hole.

Inafune's one true epic error in judgement may have been the DmC debacle - which, if scuttlebut holds true, may have actually come about from a moron at Capcom USA taking advantage of Inafune's loss of faith in Japanese development.

But thanks to that, tons of tons of butthurt and whining fans can spin up a tale of Inafune's utter incompetence and how he's Capcom's Yuji Naka. Inafune accomplished more in his career at Capcom than guys like Naka ever did or could in theirs.

Instead of taking this news as an excuse for a vindictive circle jerk, people should snap out of it and realize it /is/ something that had to happen, but for the most part, it's just a shame that Inafune got to this point.

Given his mindset these days, it's entirely possible Inafune was no longer capable of dealing with a company with the size and entrenched nature of Capcom. Personally, I suspect his comments bemoaning the success of western developers were rooted partially in frustration with a feeling he couldn't get anything done himself. If Inafune moves to another company, perhaps a small developer that is more agile and eclectic than Capcom, he might become refreshed if he can experience some success that satisfies him.

While it's true that Japan has been lagging behind this generation, Inafune really doesn't have a viable solution, his approach of farming out franchises to work-for-hire western devs is basically hit or miss. He capitalized on the 360 platform early with Dead Rising and Lost Planet but as the competition out there has improved, he has basically been brought back down to earth. It isn't western developers or western concepts that is the answer, it's game design, a more mature style of story-telling (non-teen centric) and basic things like controls and interface that a lot of Japanese developers haven't caught up with.

hamchan

[Nintex] said:
Didn't he throw the LP2 team under the bus when it flopped. Saying that they had no love and motivation for what they were doing? That was rather harsh.
Yes he did.

Seems to me that he recognizes heart and motivation is important in the game making process and he just ran out of it working at Capcom.

Past Interview With Inafune

The business side is resisting change. They [Capcom] think developers are stupid and don’t understand business. That’s why I can’t be on the board of directors. That’s the difference between Capcom and Nintendo. At Nintendo, 80 percent of the board is from development. At Capcom, it’s zero. All the business side cares about is protecting their own interests.”
2h89zic.jpg

Tence said:
Is it because his design for heroine for Legends 3 finished last place?
YOU DID NOT! :lol :lol :lol

Kittonwy said:
What's wrong with Takeuchi.
He is a great programmer and had great vision in developing there own crossplatform engine. His track record with games has been 0/3 for me I hated lost planet 2 hated RE5 and if he directed DMC4 Ultra hate. I don't see him as a creative guy

Kittonwy

Banned
hamchan said:
Yes he did.

Seems to me that he recognizes heart and motivation is important in the game making process and he just ran out of it working at Capcom.

Haven't seen any heart and motivation from him since Onimusha 1 to be honest.

Killing off Clover and focusing on Western developers was his downfall.

He could have funded Bayonetta and Vanquish but instead he funded trash like Bionic Commando and Dark Void both projects were disasters. Lost Planet 2 bombing was the icing on the cake (great game though imo).

The shitty part of all this news is what happens to Megaman now. He was the father of the blue bomber!

Kittonwy

Banned
Technosteve said:
He is a great programmer and had great vision in developing there own crossplatform engine. His track record with games has been 0/3 for me I hated lost planet 2 hated RE5 and if he directed DMC4 Ultra hate. I don't see him as a creative guy

But he's just a producer now, isn't he? Kind of like Inafune.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
The real tragedy here is finding out that fucking zipper-sleeves won the heroine design contest. :(

Mael

Arpharmd B said:
Killing off Clover and focusing on Western developers was his downfall.

He could have funded Bayonetta and Vanquish but instead he funded trash like Bionic Commando and Dark Void both projects were disasters. Lost Planet 2 bombing was the icing on the cake (great game though imo).

The shitty part of all this news is what happens to Megaman now. He was the father of the blue bomber!

Nope he was the caretaker that had the gall to make the baby call him dad.

seady

Man I love Inafune.... where will he go next?
I hope Capcom will stay as good as it is, they are my favorite developer.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hesemonni said:
Been meaning to ask this for a long time now, but who's she?
Gina Carano, and yes getting choked out by her is one of my life dreams.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Takeuchi being the replacement a good thing or a bad thing?

HYDE

Banned
Jinfash said:
Does this mean Capcom will stop blaming every product failure on it not being Westernized enough?

Anyhow, I wish him all the luck. End of an era.

Ok, now I'm gonna stop pretending to care about any Capcom official other than Ono and Niitsuma.

Why does everyone keep forgetting that Kobayashi is still at Capcom?
He was only alongside everyone who is now at Platinum, and is good friends with Kamiya (who stated that he would like to make a game with him one day). This man has assisted with Devil May Cry 1-4 and Resident Evil 1-4. It's obvious that Bayonetta borrows quite a few aspects from DMC4. Like has been mentioned, there are still a lot of talented developers at Capcom. I see the situation to be just like the 90's Konami, where tons left to form Treasure, and there own companies, yet many talented veterans stayed (Kojima for example).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ULTROS! said:
Is Takeuchi being the replacement a good thing or a bad thing?
Well, they're both heavily focused on appealing to the Western market, but they just had different strategies.

Inafune's strategy was to have games developed in the West with Capcom oversight while Japanese teams targeted Japan with (relatively) cheaper titles like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Sengoku Basara.

Takeuchi's strategy was to develop their Western targeted games in Japan, but make them entirely based around co-op (see RE5 and LP2).

So, I guess it depends on which you prefer.

Good morning, retard-GAF. The only game Takeuchi ever directed was Onimusha: Warlords. He was designer and animator for Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 before he became the graphics supervisor of the series. For more recent games, he was producer. So, unless you have an office next to him, you're incapable of judging his creative skills or what he decided creatively and thus better shut up. Might actually inform yourself about his career before you're spewing your uninformed shit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Prime Blue said:
Good morning, retard-GAF. The only game Takeuchi ever directed was Onimusha: Warlords. He was designer and animator for Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 before he became the graphics supervisor of the series. For more recent games, he was producer. So, unless you have an office next to him, you're incapable of judging his creative skills or what he decided creatively and thus better shut up. Might actually inform yourself about his career before you're spewing your uninformed shit.

Takeuchi San! I loved God Hand!

jett

D-Member
Nirolak said:
Well, they're both heavily focused on appealing to the Western market, but they just had different strategies.

Inafune's strategy was to have games developed in the West with Capcom oversight while Japanese teams targeted Japan with (relatively) cheaper titles like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Sengoku Basara.

Takeuchi's strategy was to develop their Western targeted games in Japan, but make them entirely based around co-op (see RE5 and LP2).

So, I guess it depends on which you prefer.

alien-vs-predator-whoever-wins-we-lose-paul-ws-anderson-3700999.jpg

kitzkozan

Lawl,so much hate for Inafune. :lol

Anyway,Capcom will now have to recharge on talents (and I don't think the japanese scene is bursting with talent at the moment).I also hope that investors will get the hint sooner or later that developers are more than capable of handling the business side of thing.

Capcom is my favorite company/developer and the last thing I want to see is them going down the drain.

At the moment,they will have a couple of fighting games to keep them afloat but it's no time to have everything else bomb all over the place or fund project from third rate western developers.

KingJ2002

after reading his comments from siliconera (sp?) it's a shame that it's gotten to this point...

company culture is something that you cant force change with... he likes Nintendo's model over Capcom because he would've had more say... but in the end he either gave up or could feel himself be forced out.

IMO... Capcom has been the premier third party this generation and under him many franchises blossomed and are making a comeback into the limelight because of their fan service. If he was a part of that process... I thank him for that. Hopefully he can find his way back into game development. He may be done at Capcom (like a lot of developers) but i doubt we've seen the last of his work. I'm sure he'll either start up a new company or join one far more fitting of his vision.

now that Takeuchi is now the head I hope he pushes for more MT Framework... the biggest disappointment to me about DmC (other than the new Dante haircut) is the fact that it wont be using MT Framework

Sadist

So Takeuchi eh? I don't know about that one.

Still, with Inafune resigning was that compliment towards Nintendo an unsolicited application? :lol

Coxswain

Takeuchi was at least the public face of my favourite game of the last few years, so my gut reaction is 'that's pretty cool' but then it's probably a pretty different job anyway so who know how that'll turn out.

eso76

Original Rockman/Mega Man series

* Mega Man – Character designer
* Mega Man 2 – Character design
* Mega Man 3 – Character design, sub planning
* Mega Man 4 – Planner, special designer
* Mega Man 5 – Object designer, adviser
* Mega Man 6 and Mega Man 7 – Object designer
* Mega Man 8 and Mega Man & Bass – Producer
* Mega Man Soccer – Illustration (uncredited)
* Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters – Special thanks
* Mega Man Powered Up – Executive producer
* Mega Man 9 – Producer, character designer
* Mega Man 10 – Producer

Rockman X/Mega Man X

* Mega Man X, Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3 – Character design, illustrations (uncredited)
* Mega Man X4 – Producer
* Mega Man X5, Mega Man X7, Mega Man X8, Mega Man Xtreme and Mega Man Xtreme 2 – Special thanks
* Mega Man Maverick Hunter X – Executive producer

Other Rockman series games (producer)

* Rockman Zero/Mega Man Zero
* Rockman DASH/Mega Man Legends
* Rockman.EXE/MegaMan Battle Network
* Mega Man ZX
* Mega Man Star Force

Other Mega Man games

* The Misadventures of Tron Bonne – Game concept, producer
* Mega Man Battle & Chase – Producer

Biohazard/Resident Evil

* Resident Evil 2 – Promotion producer
* Resident Evil 4 – Executive producer (PS2 version)
* Resident Evil 5 – Executive producer (uncredited)

Onimusha

* Onimusha: Warlords and Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny – Producer
* Onimusha Blade Warriors, Onimusha 3: Demon Siege and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams – Executive producer
* Onimusha – Writer (2011 film)

Other games

* Street Fighter – Graphic designer
* Pro Yakyuu? Satsujin Jiken! (Professional Baseball Murder Mystery) – Graphic designer
* Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers – Graphic designer
* DuckTales – Graphic designer
* Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru – Character design, illustrations
* Capcom Barcelona '92 – Graphic designer
* Breath of Fire – Character design, illustrations
* Capcom Fighting Evolution, Shadow of Rome and Black Cat – Executive producer
* Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap – Producer
* Final Fight: Streetwise – Special thanks
* Lost Planet: Extreme Condition – Producer, Original story
* Dead Rising – Producer
* Street Fighter 4 – Executive Producer
* Bionic Commando – Executive Producer
* Super Street Fighter 4 – Executive Producer
* Dark Void – Executive Producer
* Lost Planet 2 – Executive Producer
* Dead Rising 2 – Executive Producer
* Asura's Wrath – Executive Producer
* DmC – Executive Producer[citation needed]

from wikipedia.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nirolak said:

What ever Takeuchi's strategy is, I hope he revives Capcom's other franchises like Haunting Ground/Clock Tower and Breath of Fire.

I do wonder what's his strategy regarding Capcom's Japanese games...

HYDE

Banned
Capcom still has a lot of talent, can we list the awesome developers that are still there?

I vote Kobayashi, Itsuno, and Ono.

Zen

Banned
duckroll said:
There's a huge 6 page interview at 4Gamer which they conducted with Inafune last week (posted today) about his resignation. I'm not going to bother translating it because Anoop will probably have something on his blog later. He does address Megaman Legends 3 as well, saying that it took so long to assemble the staff and to get the project approved that he didn't want to quit at this point, but he just couldn't continue anymore because he really hates his job and doesn't feel any joy or drive anymore. :lol

http://www.4gamer.net/games/084/G008467/20101029004/

Well at least he managed to get Legends 3 together in the 11th hour for us before departing.

Strange new world for Capcom. Say what you will about his push towards working with western developers, but he was instrumental in reorganizing, and modernizing Capcom around the beginning of this generation. Teams sharing work, Framework engine, that corporate structure he put in place is going to be invaluable for Capcom for years to come.

Enk

makes good threads.
I hope this doesn't prevent any more 2d Mega Mans from being made in the future. If so then "end of an era" I guess.

HYDE

Banned
Enk said:
I hope this doesn't prevent any more 2d Mega Mans from being made in the future. If so then "end of an era" I guess.

I honestly don't want a Mega Man 11, etc...
I grew up loving all the Mega Men, but enough is enough for me, let it be.

kitzkozan

KingJ2002 said:
after reading his comments from siliconera (sp?) it's a shame that it's gotten to this point...

company culture is something that you cant force change with... he likes Nintendo's model over Capcom because he would've had more say... but in the end he either gave up or could feel himself be forced out.

IMO... Capcom has been the premier third party this generation and under him many franchises blossomed and are making a comeback into the limelight because of their fan service. If he was a part of that process... I thank him for that. Hopefully he can find his way back into game development. He may be done at Capcom (like a lot of developers) but i doubt we've seen the last of his work. I'm sure he'll either start up a new company or join one far more fitting of his vision.

Inafune reign wasn't that bad,but then everyone is a critic even if they aren't qualified for it. It's always in the extreme for most people aka genius/saint or retarded monkey/devil. :lol

We had the revival of Street fighter,Marvel vs Capcom,a couple of new vs in SF vs Tekken or Tatsunoko.Let's not forget SF II HDR,Marvel vs Capcom 2 or the upcoming 3rd strike online edition.Final fight and the revamped Bionic commando,etc.

Now it is true that there's been problem with Devil may cry 4 or Lost planet/RE 5/Dead rising but I don't consider those to be turkeys (nowhere near being Bionic commando or Dark void).

Think people are mostly sour with him putting Japan on blast,killing Clover studio and the "new" DMC along with his hate toward Mega Man X (which is definitively worthy of some hate). :lol

Top Bottom