• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom, Jun Takeuchi Takes Over [Update 2: Ono On Impact P#446]

Feindflug

faridmon said:
WTF? that came out of nowhere :lol

So what is happening to all those games he was involved with? Megaman Legend and Megaman Universe comes to mind...

Wasn't responsible for Steel Battalion Kinect too?

Anyway I wasn't a fan of his DmC reboot crap decision and his recent comments but I'm curious to see in which way Capcom will go with Takeuchi now in charge...it will also be interesting to see where Infaune will go - Platinum games and Tokyo Vikings sound nearly impossible choices so maybe he'll create his own studio.

HYDE

Banned
Feindflug said:
Wasn't responsible for Steel Battalion Kinect too?

Anyway I wasn't a fan of his DmC reboot crap decision and his recent comments but I'm curious to see in which way Capcom will go with Takeuchi now in charge...it will also be interesting to see where Infaune will go - Platinum games and Tokyo Vikings sound nearly impossible choices so maybe he'll create his own studio.

It's Valhalla Studios now, not TV.

[Nintex]

Maybe he could go to a publisher/developer that's interested in setting up a division in the west with him at the helm, Square-Enix or Nintendo perhaps? They seem to be interested in that approach, I'm sure he could give Iwata a call and meet up with him to talk about his future, especially when we look at his latest partnerships with Sakurai and Sakaguchi.

Ravidrath

Very curious what he does from here, since he seemed to be the only person at Capcom trying to drag that company into the 21st Century.

Dai101

Banned
Platy said:
Ono didn't tweeted 300 times that it was him that was stoping a new darkstalker ?

=3

Well, it's a known fact that Ono is a gigantic troll :lol also a drama queen

OT: God Speed Inafune, you'll always be remembered

Canova

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Very curious what he does from here, since he seemed to be the only person at Capcom trying to drag that company into the 21st Century.

Westernized their games == bringing the company to 21st century?!??!?!?!

it's a fucking wrong move

Alex Dee

Neo Member
While I didn't always agree with his decisions, it's rather sad to see him go. Still, exciting new things might be ahead I guess.

Ravidrath

canova said:

Laying it on a little thick, aren't we?

Regardless of what you think about their overall direction, he created MT Framework, which is what I was actually referring to. Capcom is years ahead of the other publishers on this front.

And that "westernization" did help make them one of the only still-relevant Japanese publishers.

So he must really fucking hated his job to just quit like that. Maybe he wants to work with Shinji Mikami again? :lol Somehat shocked at his rapid departure. I wonder what he's going to do now?

rvy

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
So he must really fucking hated his job to just quit like that. Maybe he wants to work with Shinji Mikami again? :lol Somehat shocked at his rapid departure. I wonder what he's going to do now?
The fuck? I always thought they didn't get along, and Mikami's departure had something to do with Inafune.

Arpharmd B said:
Killing off Clover and focusing on Western developers was his downfall.

He could have funded Bayonetta and Vanquish but instead he funded trash like Bionic Commando and Dark Void both projects were disasters. Lost Planet 2 bombing was the icing on the cake (great game though imo).

The shitty part of all this news is what happens to Megaman now. He was the father of the blue bomber!

Bayonetta and Vanquish likely only happened because Platinum needed new IP since they couldn't use Capcom properties. That you got them and enjoyed them is a sign that you are happy they left Capcom to develop those games.

Josh7289

Very strange news, especially in light of MML3.

But I guess if he just couldn't stand being on top it makes some sense. It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Canova

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Laying it on a little thick, aren't we?

Regardless of what you think about their overall direction, he created MT Framework, which is what I was actually referring to. Capcom is years ahead of the other publishers on this front.

And that "westernization" did help make them one of the only still-relevant Japanese publishers.

How is westernization making Capcom more relevant than other big Japanese publishers like Konami, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai? the last time I checked those other companies are doing better financially than Capcom

fallagin

Whoa!

Well I guess it wasn't totally unexpected... I hope he gets interviewed so we can find out his complete motivation. Like why exactly does he now hate game development?

Kusagari

As much as we've all bashed his statements lately, it's still sad to see him go. I can't help but think this is bad news for Capcom. Inafune, through all his western love, has done a lot of good this gen.

Kaijima said:
The carnival of hate for Inafune is kind of pathetic. While the man became overly negative and emo in the last couple of years, GAF nonetheless blindly twisted his words around to indict him as an idiot. Inafune's comments about the Japanese development community are true - in a broad sense. Fanboys sputtered because of an implied insult to the minority of Japanese developers who are turning out quality product. But in the big picture, Japan is in the hole.

Inafune's one true epic error in judgement may have been the DmC debacle - which, if scuttlebut holds true, may have actually come about from a moron at Capcom USA taking advantage of Inafune's loss of faith in Japanese development.

But thanks to that, tons of tons of butthurt and whining fans can spin up a tale of Inafune's utter incompetence and how he's Capcom's Yuji Naka. Inafune accomplished more in his career at Capcom than guys like Naka ever did or could in theirs.

Instead of taking this news as an excuse for a vindictive circle jerk, people should snap out of it and realize it /is/ something that had to happen, but for the most part, it's just a shame that Inafune got to this point.

Given his mindset these days, it's entirely possible Inafune was no longer capable of dealing with a company with the size and entrenched nature of Capcom. Personally, I suspect his comments bemoaning the success of western developers were rooted partially in frustration with a feeling he couldn't get anything done himself. If Inafune moves to another company, perhaps a small developer that is more agile and eclectic than Capcom, he might become refreshed if he can experience some success that satisfies him.

BRA-FUCKING-VO!

TreIII

Arpharmd B said:
The shitty part of all this news is what happens to Megaman now. He was the father of the blue bomber!

Honestly? Up until relatively recently (9 and DASH3), Inafune hadn't been part of the day-to-day goings-on of the Rockman brand for years on end. And while we got some stinkers like X7 during that time, the result was that we still got overall decent games, if not excellent (Zero series). Hell, it's arguably more of a thing that among the biggest sales failures that happened to Rockman was when Inafune wanted to put two games on the (at the time) fledgling PSP. "Father" didn't know best, in that case... :lol

But any way, as long as the likes of Inti Creates are still around, MegaMan should be fine. And on the bright side, with Inafune gone, that should ideally do a lot to make sure that his Zero fanboyism won't be so much of an overriding factor in what may happen to any future X series games. Seriously, from all that I've read and has been gleaned over the years, ol' boy Inafking's love for Zero is enough to challenge Kishimoto's love of Sasuke. :lol :lol

Nairume

Banned
canova said:
How is westernization making Capcom more relevant than other big Japanese publishers like Konami, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai? the last time I checked those other companies are doing better financially than Capcom
Are you trying to say that none of those companies are trying to westernize?

Kittonwy

Banned
kitzkozan said:
Lawl,so much hate for Inafune. :lol

Anyway,Capcom will now have to recharge on talents (and I don't think the japanese scene is bursting with talent at the moment).I also hope that investors will get the hint sooner or later that developers are more than capable of handling the business side of thing.

Capcom is my favorite company/developer and the last thing I want to see is them going down the drain.

At the moment,they will have a couple of fighting games to keep them afloat but it's no time to have everything else bomb all over the place or fund project from third rate western developers.

As long as they don't cook the golden goose that is Resident Evil, they can keep remaking the same fucking games, port them to different systems and RE fans will eat them up.

Busaiku

It's not exactly surprising given his recent comments, but I'm still kind of shocked.
I would've thought he'd at least tough it out until Mega Man Legends 3.

This is really saddening.

Kittonwy

Banned
Busaiku said:
It's not exactly surprising given his recent comments, but I'm still kind of shocked.
I would've thought he'd at least tough it out until Mega Man Legends 3.

This is really saddening.

Why is it sad? It was sad when Mikami and Kamiya left, those were talented designers.

Ravidrath

canova said:

OK, thanks for confirming my suspicion that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Most of Konami's money comes from their sport clubs now, not their games business. Their games unit is recovering a bit, but Winning 11, their bread and butter, is in decline. This is largely due to a relative lack of technical know-how that is limiting the series' evolution, since it's a yearly release. EA's FIFA games have largely been ignored in Japan, but is starting to pick up steam because of how lackluster Winning 11 has been for the last few years.

Namco-Bandai is in fucking shambles - I don't know how you could possibly think they're doing well. They're about to have layoffs at the San Diego studio, and I believe just laid off a bunch of people in Japan. I'm really excited about Dark Souls, too, but that doesn't mean the company is doing well.

Square Enix is doing fine, but I think they're relatively flat, while Capcom is actually profiting. Square Enix is also a much larger company, compared to Capcom. However, Final Fantasy XIV is likely going to be a big disappointment for them, and who knows when they'll have another big Japanese-developed release, at the rate Versus is going.

Capcom is practically swimming in money, largely due to Monster Hunter, but they also have a number of next-gen games that have sold millions around the world. They announced more big games at TGS than anyone else, and they were recruiting extensively there, too. Their booth was also the largest, most opulent and well-attended at TGS - they were showing off, basically.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
canova said:

Or they could have their head in the ground like Squeenix or Konami for HD consoles. He's definitely made some poor moves, but the man is still led in development for the best engine this gen, actually acknowledges the PC as a platform, and would attempt something new.

It's kind of funny looking back. Past few years, many great developers have been leaving studios they were with for dozen+ years.

Tiktaalik

Inafune was the champion of Capcom's move to developing some games with the west in mind. With him leaving, I wonder if Capcom will continue to move in this direction or if they will drift back to making games as they did in the PS1/PS2 days.

If they stop making the west a focus, what would this mean for the newly bought Blue Castle Games?

Nairume

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Why is it sad? It was sad when Mikami and Kamiya left, those were talented designers.
And Inafune isn't?

It's sad because the man has had been involved with some of the greatest games Capcom has ever put out.

Kittonwy

Banned
shintoki said:
Or they could have their head in the ground like Squeenix or Konami for HD consoles. He's definitely made some poor moves, but the man is still led in development for the best engine this gen, actually acknowledges the PC as a platform, and would attempt something new.

It's kind of funny looking back. Past few years, many great developers have been leaving studios they were with for dozen+ years.

The whole fawning over MT Framework is out of control, it's not the best engine this gen, Capcom just got pretty-looking games out early when most developers were doing 360 up-ports, they capitalized on the 360 early and their timing was perfect, that was Capcom's biggest success this generation, after that it was basically downhill.

Kittonwy

Banned
Nairume said:
And Inafune isn't?

It's sad because the man has had been involved with some of the greatest games Capcom has ever put out.

Inafune hasn't directed a game for years, whereas Mikami and Kamiya are both active game directors, losing those two was a huge loss for Capcom, Inafune is basically management.

Nairume

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The whole fawning over MT Framework is out of control, it's not the best engine this gen, Capcom just got pretty-looking games out early when most developers were doing 360 up-ports, they capitalized on the 360 early and their timing was perfect, that was Capcom's biggest success this generation, after that it was basically downhill.
It's not that it is a particularly good engine. It's that they are one of the few Japanese developers to have the foresight to work with an engine that makes cross-platform development much more efficient, rather than working on the silly "lead platform/port afterwords" mentality that much of the rest of Japan has.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesIndustry.biz Two Weeks Ago said:
THQ: When we started with our signing of Itagaki-san and his Team Ninja guys in Japan who are building a game for us, and we move on to Patrice, then we have a major announcement coming from a major piece of talent in the games industry who we're going to be building a series of games with - as well as releasing our first game with Tim Schafer, who's one of the finer talents in the industry.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-19-thqs-danny-bilson-interview?page=3

Hmm.

Canova

Banned
Ravidrath said:
OK, thanks for confirming my suspicion that you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Most of Konami's money comes from their sport clubs now, not their games business. Their games unit is recovering a bit, but Winning 11, their bread and butter, is in decline.

Namco-Bandai is in fucking shambles - I don't know how you could possibly think they're doing well. They're about to have layoffs at the San Diego studio, and I believe just laid off a bunch of people in Japan. I'm really excited about Dark Souls, too, but that doesn't mean the company is doing well.

Square Enix is doing fine, but I think they're relatively flat, while Capcom is actually profiting. Square Enix is also a much larger company, compared to Capcom. However, Final Fantasy XIV is likely going to be a big disappointment for them, and who knows when they'll have another big Japanese-developed release, at the rate Versus is going.

Capcom is practically swimming in money, largely due to Monster Hunter, but they also have a number of next-gen games that have sold millions around the world. They announced more big games at TGS than anyone else, and they were recruiting extensively there, too. Their booth was also the largest, most opulent and well-attended at TGS - they were showing off, basically.

all your babbling doesn't explain how Capcom is more relevant than any other big Japanese publishers?

If they're indeed more relevant, DR2 would be a stunning success, instead it just did 2 millions across 3 platforms.
If they're indeed more relevant, DmC news would be widely accepted, instead it's nothing but a mockery
Then we had Lost Planet 2

All those 3 franchises are part of so-called Capcom westernization process.

The ones that are doing good, like MH or SF, are the ones that stick to the old formulas

entremet

canova said:
all your babbling doesn't explain how Capcom is more relevant than any other big Japanese publishers?

If they're indeed more relevant, DR2 would be a stunning success, instead it just did 2 millions across 3 platforms.
If they're indeed more relevant, DmC news would be widely accepted, instead it's nothing but a mockery

The ones that are doing good, like MH or SF, are the ones that stick to the old formulas
Why are you changing the subject? You mentioned that those companies are doing better the Capcom financially and he replied. Do you honestly think that Namco Bandai is doing better than Capcom this generation? DMC4, SFIV, RE5, DR1, LP1, DR2, all sold in the millions. Not to mention MH in Japan.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
canova said:

If it actually sold 2 mil then Dead Rising 2 was a success by any reasonable standards. The only other Japanese publishers that might be disappointed at 2 million in sales are Nintendo and Square, and only for their major franchises.

what an unfortunate turn of events. he made some decisions recently that i didn't agree with but i still love him for DR1/2.

hope he finds happiness in whatever he decides to do next.

Proven

canova said:

So your argument is not that other Japanese companies are more relevant than Capcom, it's that all Japanese companies are irrelevant now. Ah. Gotcha. I'd add some Western companies to that pie too.

Nairume

Banned
Besides, the DmC news is just a "mockery" in hardcore gaming circles. The average person who is going to buy the game won't give two shits that somebody else is developing it, unless it turns out to be complete shit.

Lain

SapientWolf said:
If it actually sold 2 mil then Dead Rising 2 was a success by any reasonable standards. The only other Japanese publishers that might be disappointed at 2 million in sales are Nintendo and Square, and only for their major franchises.

I don't want to support his claims, but by Capcom's standards, selling 2 millions isn't a success! That's what Inafune told us in regards to DMC4, anyways!

Top Bottom