• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC debuts Nashville Hot Chicken nationwide, "most successful test in recent history"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
It was decent.

Compared to Popeye's spicy chicken it's way better because it is flavorful and Popeye's makes the mistake of removing their awesome flavor for hotness.

Overall i can see myself getting this on a lark but I'm not enthusiastic about it. I'll never buy Popeye's spicy chicken.

As a side note last summer Popeye's actually came out with a 1 month limited spicy recipe and that was amazing enough to make me buy their chicken over and over again. They should make that Louisiana recipe instead of what counts as spicy chicken now.

Had some, it's good. The chicken seems to be more battered than breaded this time around? Nice heat, good flavor, and I usually hate KFC. This will have me actually stop at KFC once in a while now.

Had the two-piece meal for lunch today, and while it's not very spicy, it has a lot of great flavor. I've not eaten at KFC for years, but I'll be back soon for more of this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This is on point. Stopped to get some tenders for lunch. Thankfully they adhered to my no pickles request or else they would have been ruined for me.

This is the best thing I've had at KFC. It has a nice sweet but (white people) spicy taste. It would be even better with a side of blackened ranch dipping sauce from Popeyes

Grinchy

Banned
I got some on the way home last night. It wasn't bad. It was sweeter than I was expecting.

I'll have to see if I can substitute another side next time. I do not like coleslaw very much, especially from KFC. I might also try the tenders next time.

Palmer_v1

Tried it as the 3pc tenders. It's pretty legit. Wasn't very spicy, really, but very flavorful. I dipped mine in their ranch.

Subbed coleslaw for potatoes. Mistake, cause their potatoes are terrible. Actually not sure if any KFC side is worth a damn? It's part of why I prefer Popeyes.

Biscuit was good, but had soaked up a lot of juice from the chicken. Might bother some people.

I'll definitely try it again though.

Tried it out the other day.
It's legit.
As other have noted, not really spicy, but really flavorful.
Use that biscuit to sop up the saucy remnants.

phaonaut

Its really good, better than I was expecting. Had it on Tuesday when it snowed it St. Louis, because no one was out the KFC guy doubled my order for free.

I tried it today and really liked it. I was surprised they weren't marinated in the sauce. It's prepared with 3 standard strips and drizzled with the nashville sauce via squeeze bottle and garnished with pickles.

norm9

I tried it today and really liked it. I was surprised they weren't marinated in the sauce. It's prepared with 3 standard strips and drizzled with the nashville sauce via squeeze bottle and garnished with pickles.

Damn, so my KFC did have it after all. There are no as dvertisements but the other day, the cashier was using the squeeze bottle and showing it. She didn't it advertise it to me to make me buy it, even though I most certainly would have.

Using pickles with every bite of grilled chicken. Hmm good

Pickle slices are gross. Spears or nothing at all.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just tried it and I give it the thumbs up. Perfectly spicy and crispy with just enough greasiness.

Slathered it with a bit of honey and tonight has been a good night.

I had it on Saturday and was disappointed. I knew it wasn't going to be very spicy, but it is super not spicy. Also more bland than I was expecting, and my pieces were fully coated with the spice oil stuff. Way too much hype.

Thought it was pretty good myself, just insanely overpriced for two pieces of chicken. Gimme 3 at $6 and I'll be back. That aside it was crispy, flavorful and decently spicy. Can definitely taste the smokiness/cayenne to it.

New002

tried this the other day and thought it was "just ok"

maybe i hyped it up too much

It's possible. I had read this thread and saw some positive stuff, but still went in with fairly low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely going to order the tenders again.

Kickz

Had it Saturday, so good had it again on Sunday.

I recommend you guys add Honey to them, makes for spicy and sweet bliss

I had it on Saturday and was disappointed. I knew it wasn't going to be very spicy, but it is super not spicy. Also more bland than I was expecting, and my pieces were fully coated with the spice oil stuff. Way too much hype.

I saw an online ad where Norm says, "And it's spicy! Nah...it's not that spicy."

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Tried it. It really is just ok. Flavor is really subtle, I was expecting more of a punch to the palate similar to a wing sauce. Has a sweetness similar to a BBQ potato chip, touch of cayenne heat. Another thing is the "sauce" makes an already greasy piece of fried chicken even greasier. I don't think I'll get it again. Original recipe remains the only reason to step into a KFC.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
i got them again for the second time the other day and the tenders i got were really small and they gave me coleslaw even though i asked them to substitute it with mashed potatoes. also i asked for the buttermilk sauce and the lady said its already in there when it was just the margarine "butter" packet.

i'd recommend checking the order before leaving the window seems like they tend to fuck it up in some way.

also it tastes pretty good if you use the honey packet they give you and also making a small chicken biscuit with pickle is really good.

VariantX

Me and my friend just tried this about 30 mins ago. I tried the 2 pc meal and substituted out the coleslaw for potato skins. Its pretty good. That first bite isn't hot at all, but the heat builds up pretty slowly as you continue to eat, but it never gets really really hot though. The spices and sauce have kind of a smoky flavor, reminds me of mesquite bbq potato chips, that makes me wish it was slightly sweet in flavor. Its pretty good as ive said before, but it feels like it was missing something to send it over the top for me.

Alright, so I just tried the 3 pc Tenders meal about an hour ago. I did taste that smoky flavor on the first initial bite, and then after that, it seemed to dissipate. Maybe it was the sauce that was added. It was still very good, but just not as spicy as I would have liked. I wonder if it's because the more national your brand, the more you don't want to exclude people who do not like too spicy food.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Tried it. It really is just ok. Flavor is really subtle, I was expecting more of a punch to the palate similar to a wing sauce. Has a sweetness similar to a BBQ potato chip, touch of cayenne heat. Another thing is the "sauce" makes an already greasy piece of fried chicken even greasier. I don't think I'll get it again. Original recipe remains the only reason to step into a KFC.

I don't want subtle. I want tongue burning, beads of sweat on my brow heat!

painey

So I got this on Sunday, and paid more for a 3 tenders meal than I would have paid if I got the buffet and it was SHIT. Maybe if I hadn't lived in Nashville and eaten at every hot chicken place bar one I would be more impressed, but it had nothing on even the worst hot chicken I had in Nashville. Not to mention it was greasy as fuck. Honestly it was the least impressed I've been in years with a fast food meal

wildfire

Banned
Thought it was pretty good myself, just insanely overpriced for two pieces of chicken. Gimme 3 at $6 and I'll be back. That aside it was crispy, flavorful and decently spicy. Can definitely taste the smokiness/cayenne to it.

I agree it's pricey but you can't say this chicken isn't well made. I've never seen fast food restaurants put as much effort as top class fried chicken restaurants.

Raw64life

Just had this for lunch. It's, as Guy Fieri would say, real deal chicken. Don't know if I'd say better than Popeyes, but definitely the best KFC I've ever had, not that that's saying a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom