• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising Composers Revealed. You will say, "Wow."

One reason less people like Sakuraba's more recent productions is that he's been trying to refine his orchestral style for a long time, and some folks want to hear more of his progressive rock and lighter material. But some of his work has been lackluster as of late simply because he's usually overworked and over-obligated to do really good music for a whole bunch of high-profile games. If the average JRPG music composer had to work on as many similar games as he does, they'd be much worse off!

—In the end, none of this changes the fact that I want Motoaki Takenouchi to return to game music. His work on Landstalker and the earlier Shining Force games is outstanding, as is the soundtrack to Gungriffon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy shit!

Sakuraba, Mitsuda, AND Yuzo Koshiro? I'm going to have to find the soundtrack for this game.

Takada is awesome, too. His work on Killer 7 was awesome.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice body of work. My only apprehension is Sakuraba and most of that is because I still stand by the fact that the last good work he has done was Golden Sun; truth be told a large contributing factor is due to not touching a Tales game after Symphonia and I have not trudged deep enough in to Abyss.

I don't get all the Sakuraba hate? Tales of Phantasia is one of my favorite OSTs ever. Is his later stuff that bad?

Most of it comes from the fact that he works like crazy and you're bound to find tracks which sound too similar to something he did a year ago, or it may feel that there is not enough substance to the a lot of tracks themselves.

One reason less people like Sakuraba's more recent productions is that he's been trying to refine his orchestral style for a long time, and some folks want to hear more of his progressive rock and lighter material.

truth be told a large contributing factor is due to not touching a Tales game after Symphonia and I have not trudged deep enough in to Abyss.
Most of it comes from the fact that he works like crazy and you're bound to find tracks which sound too similar to something he did a year ago, or it may feel that there is not enough substance to the a lot of tracks themselves.
Ah. I love his progressive stuff and I also haven't touched Tales since Symphonia, so that explains it. Well, I'll probably really enjoy his stuff for this game, at least.

To be quite honest, except for a very few composers, most orchestral video game OSTs sound pretty generic to me. I prefer when they stray from more traditional instruments, I guess.

Hale-XF11

Sakuraba is the man! Ever since Golden Sun, I've been a huge fan. No disappointments here. His tracks sound great and I'm glad to hear new material from him!

Shame how the Voice acting and script is terrible.

And yes, the only things I've heard so far are from the terrible anime thing on the video channel.

At least the game is insane.

Jonnyram

Sakuraba peaked with the two Baten Kaitos soundtracks.
He hasn't done anything close to that level since.
I love the guy, but that's my honest feeling.

neo2046

Source
Kid Icarus: Uprising Composers Revealed. You will say, "Wow."

even more, what you will say now?
http://club.nintendo.jp/present/itempop_p138.html

pop_itemimg_p138.jpg

Club Nintendo JP special - Kid Icarus: Uprising Soundtrack Selection
(25 tracks, 400 points)

EDIT: beaten :p

Varshes

Sakuraba hate, not cool. Gikyokuonsou is one of my favorite albums ever. Man does some nice prog.

Also, all the battle tracks on End of Eternity were amaaaaaaazing.

guit3457

Koshiro's Magna's Theme is AMAZING. Can't stop listening the track...

I hope we can buy the OST in the Club Nintendo Europe web.

Awesome group of composers, though it's disappointing to not see Hip Tanaka involved at all. Just adds more to the "not Kid Icarus" feeling I get from the game. It's not what I personally want from a Kid Icarus sequel but I will accept this for what it is, most likely a really good game.

I think Sakuraba's good outside of his Tales of soundtracks. Mmm, Valkyrie Profile!

CRAP is there going to be a full soundtrack released normally?! That Club Nintendo CD can't be the only way...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm not really excited about the game, but I would get that soundtrack in a HEARTBEAT.

sfried

It's too much "STUFF" for my taste, not enough focus. The artstyle is jarring, the controls still seem janky, and I'm not nostalgic for the series. Personal preferences. Go nuts if it's your thing.
It's definitely not "clusterfuck like Brawl" if that's what your asking. The artstyle is perfect given the nature of the subject matter. More focus on weapons and combat. Control options give you more ways to play if you feel default is janky. And so what if you're not nostalgic about the old games? The old games never played like this anyways (and I don't think many are nostalgic about how they played, either).

Sorry, but there's no argument here. You're just biased.

Still, a small dash of Sakuraba isn't so bad. Looks like he might be the main composer though. :\
Considering the Main Theme doesn't sound like his generic stuff, I'd say I'm still okay with if he is.

It's definitely not "clusterfuck like Brawl" if that's what your asking. More focus on weapons and combat. Control options give you more ways to play if you feel default is janky. And so what if you're not nostalgic about the old games? The old games never played like this anyways (and I don't think many are nostalgic about how they played, either).

Sorry, but there's no argument here. You're just biased.

Considering the Main Theme doesn't sound like his generic stuff, I'd say I'm still okay with if he is.

Gee, no need to attack the guy for it.

sfried

Gee, no need to attack the guy for it.
And one has to ask "Why is GAF not hyped about this?"

I guess the answer is simple: "It's from Nintendo. Another rehash of their old IPs. So no one cares." An IP that has been dead for nearly a quarter of a century. But still an old IP, so it's a rehash...

Too much stuff in it. Well, what better way to revive an old IP with a new system and a fleshed out feature set? Not focused enough. Just what exactly is not focused enough? This isn't Brawl. Not nostagic for it. So what? Most people who are new to this aren't either! So why isn't this game treated a same way a new IP should? It barely ressembles any of the old games except for enemy appearances.

Jackano

I said wow indeed.
I barely ordered this game only for the music. Seems I was right to do this ^^

Edit: Now I hope for a decent sound test function for us ripper to do the rip, or of course a full soundtrack CD release! Edit edit: Club Nintendo, Ok.

just saw the news this morning!

This is how you hype a game before release... with actual game content.
First the weapons, then the difficulty, then the multiplayer walkthrough and now the composers.

What's next Sakurai...multiple endings?

Magnus

Never heard of em, save Mitsuda. But if there's SSB pedigree in here, I'm in! The music was the only worthwhile thing out of those games.

This just went from "wait for price drop" to "insta-buy". Seriously, amazing list of composers, and one of the few games to buy based on soundtrack alone.

Top Bottom