• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
NutJobJim said:
Obviously it's not a deal breaker, but it just makes no sense to change it. Why would you replace a vastly superior line with something so generic and boring?

Maybe the media led assfucking that we got over 'cheesy over the top dialog'?

Seriously. I cannot believe that this is such a big issue.

Iain Howe said:

Its not really, just on GAF :lol

Everyone is just playing around, apologize if it sounds serious. 99% don't really care and the 1% that does, well maybe its better if people with that low an IQ stay away from the game anyway :D

PowderedToast

I'm surprised at the amount of depth there is to the backstory, kudos to Guerrilla for actually attempting to flesh out the inhabitants of it's universe. I must admit I do feel a degree of sympathy towards the Helghast, or at least to their history. They did a great job at making the whole situation very grey, which is more than can be said for other FPS games.

Madman

Iain Howe said:

Dude, don't worry about it. Forums like this one are not somewhere you want to take seriously. Quirky shit like that line is loved here.

JimiNutz

Banned
Iain Howe said:

Nobody said it's a big issue.
It's still silly to change it though :lol

PowderedToast said:
I'm surprised at the amount of depth there is to the backstory, kudos to Guerrilla for actually attempting to flesh out the inhabitants of it's universe. I must admit I do feel a degree of sympathy towards the Helghast, or at least to their history. They did a great job at making the whole situation very grey, which is more than can be said for other FPS games.

There is plenty of story to play off in the future, that for sure. I want to see an earlier title when the timeline started.

This is one story I actually wouldn't mind reading a novel about. :D

WinFonda

Madman said:
Dude, don't worry about it. Forums like this one are not somewhere you want to take seriously. Quirky shit like that line is loved here.
This. It's one line of dialog. I think GAF would have grown attached to it Rico declared "SMELLY VAGINAS!" as you touched down. Obsessing over it is retarded.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think "Letz goooooo" is the new "Scatta Grenaaaade." :lol

Seriously though... I didn't have a problem with the previous dialogue or with these changes.

Only change that bothered me was the mohawk. :lol

recklessmind said:
I think "Letz goooooo" is the new Scatta Grenaaaade." :lol

Seriously though... I didn't have a problem with the previous dialogue or with thees changes.

you liked it before or now?

I like it now.

Cerberus

recklessmind said:
I think "Letz goooooo" is the new "Scatta Grenaaaade." :lol

Seriously though... I didn't have a problem with the previous dialogue or with thees changes.

:lol

Mohawk Defense Force!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MvmntInGrn said:
you liked it before or now?

I like it now.

I thought it was kind of a cool nod to WW2 era paratroops... there are pictures of those guys shaving the their heads and donning mohawks before the big jump.

Since Killzone has that WW2 feel to it... I just thought that was kind of fitting. Not a big deal.. the hair on a videogame character... but I thought it was cooler before.

KZObsessed

Iain Howe said:

Well, did they say which specific bits of dialog? Just because some people give vague criticisms doesn't mean you change everything. Did Guerrilla listen to what the fans liked/disliked as well? *shrug* It's not a big deal, most of this disappointment is expressed with tongue firmly in cheek. :p But it still is disappointing when a great line is changed to a completely forgettable one for no good reason.

tfur

Iain Howe said:

It's not. I thought people were just playing.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. " -Blade Runner-

This is the only successful use of the phrase... "time to die"...

DoomGyver

What is with the smoke or gunpowder cloud that forms every time you shoot somebody? Whether you just shot them point blank with a shotgun or from a distance with the sniper rifle?

It covers up the blood effects, there is just too much of this smoke. Tone it down GG.

KZObsessed

Full Recovery said:
What is with the smoke or gunpowder cloud that forms every time you shoot somebody? Whether you just shot them point blank with a shotgun or from a distance with the sniper rifle?

It covers up the blood effects, there is just too much of this smoke. Tone it down GG.

Covers up the awesome animations too when you pump a lot of bullets into someone. Definitely needs to be toned down a little, I agree.

alba

Little is the new Big
MvmntInGrn said:
Its not really, just on GAF :lol

Everyone is just playing around, apologize if it sounds serious. 99% don't really care and the 1% that does, well maybe its better if people with that low an IQ stay away from the game anyway :D

TIME TO DIE! :(

jett

D-Member
Iain Howe said:

:lol Does this mean no more feeling like a spare prick during a gangbang!? I liked the over the top dialogue for what it's worth. No need to listen to shithead pseudojournos.

Full Recovery said:

Hmm, well, I disagree. I think there are plenty of opportunities to watch the hit-response system in action, and the smoke effects simply rocks and add to the overall hectic, intense and dramatic feel - making it less sterile. One of Killzone's many strengths (in my opinion) is how is combines various effects and tricks into one coherent experience. Remove or tone down one crucial element and it would hamper the artistic experience as a whole. I want Guerrilla Games to do what they need to do in order to convey their ideas - and I have faith that they know best.

I actually dont remember the original vids with the cheesy dialog (except for "Time to die", of course). Can someone point me to somewhere I can view this?

Zen

Banned
So i read the story so far section at the official website. HELGAST IS NOT EVIL! From what i understand ISA and UCA (whatever they are called) are the real evil! They had attacked to Helgan planets and left them to die! Shit i wanna play as an Helgast in game not some G.i.Joe!

Did you not pay attention to the thinly veiled details? Like how the Helghan Corporation sabotaged its competitors to colonize Vekta etc? The ISA isn't evil, neither is the UCA. All sides are simply following expected action/reaction and looking out for their interests... BUT the Helghast certainly have the most wrongs done by them and in their name versus the ISA, and the Helghast are certainly a ruthless and bloodthirsty civilization without the same respect for life that you see in the other factions.

Enojado

Tempy said:
Whose idea was "I feel like a spare prick in a gangbang" anyway?

I laughed so damn hard when I heard it the first time.

Hmmm, it would be sweet to unlock an option that lets you play the game with the lines we first heard (such as the eloquent one mentioned by Tempy).

BruceWayneIII said:
Hmm, well, I disagree. I think there are plenty of opportunities to watch the hit-response system in action, and the smoke effects simply rocks and add to the overall hectic, intense and dramatic feel - making it less sterile. One of Killzone's many strengths (in my opinion) is how is combines various effects and tricks into one coherent experience. Remove or tone down one crucrial element and it would hamper the artistic experience as a whole. I want Guerrilla Games to do what they need to do in order to convey their ideas - and I have faith that they know best.

I agree. Especially with the way the smoke affects the lighting.

DoomGyver

BruceWayneIII said:
Hmm, well, I disagree. I think there are plenty of opportunities to watch the hit-response system in action, and the smoke effects simply rocks and add to the overall hectic, intense and dramatic feel - making it less sterile. One of Killzone's many strengths (in my opinion) is how is combines various effects and tricks into one coherent experience. Remove or tone down one crucrial element and it would hamper the artistic experience as a whole. I want Guerrilla Games to do what they need to do in order to convey their ideas - and I have faith that they know best.

I don't want them to remove it completely, I just want it toned down enough to look realistic.

Look, if I snipe somebody I should see more gunpowder exit the chamber and the barrel of the gun, not a mystical cloud that appears in front of my target.

It looks right in some instances, for example when you're up close and point blank someone with the shotty.. that looks right. But if I'm shooting an enemy from long distance I shouldn't see a cloud of smoke emit from their limp body, I should see 95% of it come out of my weapon.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Enojado said:
You do realize this is GAF, right? :D :lol

Fuck. You guys got me again. ;)

Seriously, though, it wasn't meant to sound annoyed it was just to remind people that some of the dialog / voice acting was horrible last time around too. The line "Time to die! / Let's gooo!" wasn't really pivotal in the decision making process, on its own, it was part of a bigger picture.

alba

Little is the new Big
Enojado said:
I laughed so damn hard when I heard it the first time.

Hmmm, it would be sweet to unlock an option that lets you play the game with the lines we first heard (such as the eloquent one mentioned by Tempy).

That would be quite awesome (ala NextGen filter in Uncharted) :p

Full Recovery said:
I don't want them to remove it completely, I just want it toned down enough to look realistic.

Look, if I snipe somebody I should see more gunpowder exit the chamber and the barrel of the gun, not a mystical cloud that appears in front of my target.

It looks right in some instances, for example when you're up close and point blank someone with the shotty.. that looks right. But if I'm shooting an enemy from long distance I shouldn't see a cloud of smoke emit from their limp body, I should see 95% of it come out of my weapon.

I think I know what you mean. But watch any action movie and you will be able to point out a lot of things that behave differently on screen compared to real world and that is actually one of the reasons why I love the movies. I think GG calls it Hollywood Realism (slightly over the top) and really dig that, when it's done right. Smoke emitting from their limp body might not be realistic, but it surely adds to the intensity and atmosphere :D

Anyway, I have no issue with the smoke effects and have no need for GG to tone it down.

On a general note: I like to think that the whole idea of games is to enable us to do and experience things we can't in real life. That's why I love video games.

DoomGyver

Here's an example of the gunpowder clouds I'm talking about

2nsmamw.jpg

You would see some smoke/gunpowder, but not THAT much
And also look how much color you're losing out on because of that gray filter, that could all be warm gooey blood flooding your screen instead
k7wgl.jpg

30kvvjr.jpg

This is what really bugs me, there really shouldn't be a cloud in this shot, it should be clear as day.

FirewalkR

Just make it an option:

|Audio
-----|Dialog Choice
----------| Uncheesed: "Letz go!"
----------| GAF Hardcore: "Time to die!"

Better yet, make it an unlockable. Complete the game in the hardest difficulty and unlock "Time to die!". :lol

PS: or worse, DLC!!!

Enojado

Iain Howe said:
I like that line. It's kind of the reason why I got that writing job this summer. :)

:lol :lol :lol

I wish I wasn't such a visual person, b/c the image that forms in my head is quite disturbing. :lol :lol

Full Recovery said:
Here's an example of the gunpowder clouds I'm talking about

2nsmamw.jpg

You would see some smoke/gunpowder, but not THAT much
And also look how much color you're losing out on because of that gray filter, that could all be warm gooey blood flooding your screen instead
k7wgl.jpg

30kvvjr.jpg

This is what really bugs me, there really shouldn't be a cloud in this shot, it should be clear as day.

It's an artistically styled video game. It's not a real life simulator.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
NutJobJim said:
Obviously it's not a deal breaker, but it just makes no sense to change it. Why would you replace a vastly superior line with something so generic and boring?

Because it's a throw-away one-liner that's been overused to the point of being embarrassing in even the worst z-grade direct-to-video action movie that stars the director/writer/producer as a mercenary with a short fuse and a big heart.

It was best used in Blade Runner (twice) and should never be used again.

JimiNutz

Banned
Arkham said:
Because it's a throw-away one-liner that's been overused to the point of being embarrassing in even the worst z-grade direct-to-video action movie that stars the director/writer/producer as a mercenary with short fuse and big heart.
It was best used in Blade Runner (twice) and should never be used again.

Which is why it fits in perfectly with KZ2 :lol
No seriously I'm sure KZ2 will be very deep and have fantastic voice acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom