• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schrade

AFreak said:
So, what is this "Time to Die" thing?
Rico's line when you land on the beach was changed in the preview build. It was originally shown with him saying "Time to Die!" when he dismounts and is getting you to follow him. Now it's "LeeeEEeeEeeet's GooOo!" which sounds really, really stupid.

Schrade said:
Rico's line when you land on the beach was changed in the preview build. It was originally shown with him saying "Time to Die!" when he dismounts and is getting you to follow him. Now it's "LeeeEEeeEeeet's GooOo!" which sounds really, really stupid.

The line is still "Lets Go" but now it is done by the voice actor, it'll sound much better.

And I fail to see how saying "Lets Go" after landing for a mission is "really, really stupid."

Firewire

Banned
Schrade said:

Why are we still talking about this? :lol

Guerilla should get creative and add a context sensitive control so you, the player, get to decide if Rico says "time to die" or "let's go". Then all the bickering about voice overs can stop.

morlock

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Guerilla should get creative and add a context sensitive control so you, the player, get to decide if Rico says "time to die" or "let's go". Then all the bickering about voice overs can stop.
How about, "Lets gooo!" on easy mode, "Time to fight!" on normal mode and "Time to die!" on Elite-mode? :D

Schrade

Thanks for posting that. I've been missing Killzone 2 info. I've been sad that there hasn't been any new stuff to keep this thread alive lately...

Been a while since I listened to this podcast. Last I listened there was annoying music always in the background distracting from the podcast and also there was an annoying guy opposite Torgo. Hope that isn't the case anymore, made me stop listening.

Edit: Yay! That annoying guy is no longer on the podcast and there's no annoying background music! I can actually listen to it now. By the way, the Killzone 2 interview starts at 11:15 into the podcast.

Enojado

:lol :lol :lol :lol at part of the KZ2 interview from the podcast b/c it deals with FFObsessed and his passionate opinion about some of the dialogue.

Snipes424

Enojado said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol at part of the KZ2 interview from the podcast b/c it deals with FFObsessed and his passionate opinion about some of the dialogue.

lol yeah, that was actually pretty funny. I didn't catch it at first. but FFObessed is right, the "Time to Kill" line was great.

Schrade

From the podcast:

No screenshot/video capture support is currently planned, unfortunately. They might add it in later on as a patch but they have locked features and are working at fixing bugs only.

Snipes424

Schrade said:
From the podcast:

No screenshot/video capture support is currently planned, unfortunately. They might add it in later on as a patch but they have locked features and are working at fixing bugs only.

Yeah, but sometimes these features find themselves in the game before the launch even though a publisher or dev says that it isn't going to happen.

So we will see in Feb.

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
Schrade said:
From the podcast:

Is it possible that features like these could compromise gameplay? Like could this feature contribute up the chances of a laggy online experience? Especially since the games visuals are pushing the system enough as it is. I just don't want another Gears of War 2, where ill shoot people in the face and not have it register at all.

Schrade

Holy shit.. they've had multiplayer up and running in Killzone 2 for over three years. This guy says it's been single player and multiplayer from day one, nothing bolted on later.

Also, the servers during the beta were hosted in Europe. On release there'll be servers in the different regions.

He also mentions another weapon in Singleplayer that's an
arc weapon, i.e. electricity gun
. I know it's been mentioned before but I never saw it confirmed, just speculation.

Enojado

Schrade said:
Holy shit.. they've had multiplayer up and running in Killzone 2 for over three years. This guy says it's been single player and multiplayer from day one, nothing bolted on later.

Also, the servers during the beta were hosted in Europe. On release there'll be servers in the different regions.

He also mentions another weapon in Singleplayer that's an
arc weapon, i.e. electricity gun
. I know it's been mentioned before but I never saw it confirmed, just speculation.

I was thinking the same thing about
the arc weapon
too.

Schrade said:
From the podcast:

That's the first thing about KZ2 that has disappointed me. But as long as they patch it in later it's not too big of a deal. Hopefully it'll be a proper photomode like Gran Turismo or HALO where you're able to move the camera anywhere you want and take the picture.

Schrade

Some more stuff from the podcast.

Servers will (still) not be region locked. Great! I was hoping they'd keep it that way.

There is no option to turn off the blood and gore. Germany gets a toned down blood version.

And ROFL... I just got to the part where they mention FFObssessed and his rant. NeoGAF is mentioned through the whole thing :) (This part starts at 1:05:23 in the podcast)

I saw most of the videos posted by the OP. While graphically the best looking FPS I've seen on console the AI looked all kinds of stupid, the gameplay seemed slow, and for some reason almost none of the players seemed to scope in to get a kill, it was all shooting from the hip. To me this says that scoping in - which should get you more accuracy and hence a quicker kill - is so flawed that there's no point in bothering with it. Not good. In COD4/5 there are advantages to both scoping in and shooting from the hip depending on the situation and knowing when added greatly to the gameplay, the change in camera perspective also added visually to the game. By insisting on having the guns bounce around as much as they do when scoped in, Gorilla has limited the gameplay experience. Gamers just can't be bothered with it. If I was Gorilla and watched how gamers were playing my game and realized that a major piece of the gameplay experience wasn't being used because gamers found it ineffective, I'd change it, but from the interviews I've read I don't think they are willing to do that.

I'll get the game because I love FPS's, the graphics are spectacular, and I suppose because it's the next big game on PS3 but if they don't fix the AI at the very least, I can tell the single player game is going to be uninspiring. The multiplayer looked enjoyable enough.

Nizz

I haven't finished listening to the whole podcast yet, but it seems like the toggle/zoom thing is here to stay. I'm a little disappointed in that. I hope at least to have the option to toggle crouch in the final game...

Irnbru

fps fanatic said:
I haven't finished listening to the whole podcast yet, but it seems like the toggle/zoom thing is here to stay. I'm a little disappointed in that. I hope at least to have the option to toggle crouch in the final game...

I thought in the dev blog they said they were going to fix that, from what I've read in this thread?

Nizz

vicktormerv said:
I thought in the dev blog they said they were going to fix that, from what I've read in this thread?
Well, the guy on the podcast, Kyle was his name, said as of this point, that's how it is. He mentioned how that's a decision on their part to keep the game tactical. They don't want people snapping in and out of iron sights. They're pushing you to really take your time and think about your shots. I'm hoping there's a chance that they'll let you snap into iron sight view without toggling. I'm really hoping they allow you to toggle crouch. I'm listening to the rest of the show now, so I hope they mention it...

Enojado

I really liked the discussion on how the pace and movement of the game are very deliberate. They mention how a good FPS person (say one who destroys at COD4) won't totally own you at KZ2 initially b/c they, too, are going to have to get used to the more deliberate pace of the shooter.

I think that's a great way to open up the game to others. I really hope the gaming media pull their heads out of their asses and don't knock this game for this deliberate gaming choice. My first few games of the beta were very fun but a bit frustrating b/c I was running and gunning like I would with any other FPS. Once I realized that wasn't the style to use, the game became even more fun and intense.

cameltoe

Pseudo judo said:
I saw most of the videos posted by the OP. While graphically the best looking FPS I've seen on console the AI looked all kinds of stupid, the gameplay seemed slow, and for some reason almost none of the players seemed to scope in to get a kill, it was all shooting from the hip. To me this says that scoping in - which should get you more accuracy and hence a quicker kill - is so flawed that there's no point in bothering with it. Not good. In COD4/5 there are advantages to both scoping in and shooting from the hip depending on the situation and knowing when added greatly to the gameplay, the change in camera perspective also added visually to the game. By insisting on having the guns bounce around as much as they do when scoped in, Gorilla has limited the gameplay experience. Gamers just can't be bothered with it. If I was Gorilla and watched how gamers were playing my game and realized that a major piece of the gameplay experience wasn't being used because gamers found it ineffective, I'd change it, but from the interviews I've read I don't think they are willing to do that.

I'll get the game because I love FPS's, the graphics are spectacular, and I suppose because it's the next big game on PS3 but if they don't fix the AI at the very least, I can tell the single player game is going to be uninspiring. The multiplayer looked enjoyable enough.

I suggest you watch those vids again...and actually open your eyes this time.

Pseudo judo said:

wow, good thing people who have actually PLAYED the game don't have these concerns.

I for one like the ridiculous LETS GOOOOOOO lol. You can see why they put placeholder voiceovers in, probably didnt wanna ruin the end game. Like when the enemy mortar strike is coming to the bridge, and sev goes "oh shit" and turns around, you look at his mouth and lip read him, he says "Oh fuck". Maybe they toned it down for previewers a bit, to make it more audience friendly.

zeloe326

Pseudo judo said:

So because you see some knuckle head in a video fire from the hip more than he uses the iron sights, you've come to the conclusion that the aiming is somehow broken. :lol

WTFing

Banned
Killzone2 has to be the first game to do something new on the PS3. Like, the first game that will be available 2 months before the release date. Give me the game, please.

Excellent podcast. First time I've been back to listen to those guys since the former co-host left. It's really improved a lot.

Good info, too. Can't wait for this game. Even though I was no fan of KZ1, I'd LOVE to see the Beachhead level from KZ1 as DLC for KZ2 too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bugnology said:
Killzone2 has to be the first game to do something new on the PS3. Like, the first game that will be available 2 months before the release date. Give me the game, please.

? I dont understand this post at all...

GodofWine

Pseudo judo said:

I know what you mean, I saw a commercial for the for the 2010 Camaro today, it looked like it might have uncomfortable seats even though no one has sat in the final production model, Im pretty sure I won't like them. Driving it should be uninspiring.

Kikizo: The multiplayer mode has been in development from the start, right?

Boltjes: Pretty much, yeah. We've been playing and testing online for about two years now. Obviously there were humble beginnings, mock-up levels without the features... At the same time we were developing the single player, and we really treat multiplayer as just as important as single player, because we really think that multiplayer keeps people playing.

Kikizo: When I wrote about the campaign mode after E3 2007 I said it was closer to the original target trailer than anyone could have hoped. It's good to see your multiplayer modes maintaining the same technical standards...

Smets: When we started the game we already knew the online component would be really big for us - it's half of the game, and we definitely wanted it to look as good as the other half of the game. It wasn't easy, I'll admit that, getting a game with 32 people out there that has the same quality of graphics... there were quite some challenges there on the technical side of things. But it's really cool to see us achieving that, very satisfying.

Kikizo: Are you under close supervision by Sony, or have they given you a lot of leeway?

Smets: No, I think it's been really wonderful that they had the same vision for this game online as us - only to show it when it's ready. So there was really nice cooperation... you'd imagine that with a publisher it would be really bad, but no it was really good.

Kikizo: I'm sure veteran shooter fans who like to excel will enjoy putting together a clan, topping the Valor listings, but let's say you're a member of an average clan in the middle of a thousand others - what's going to make the experience fun for you?

Boltjes: I think what the Valor system does in general is that it segregates the market, that's the thing - if you only have ten points and you're quite a noob, you're only going to play small matches, and you'll slowly build up more points. But what the Valor system also does is you can almost do "all or nothing" games. Tonight we're going to bet all our points, if we lose, tough, but if we win, we're going to go up like a thousand ranks. So for the lowly clans I think it's getting up the ladder, I think that's really going to be interesting... As well as that, playing clan, having a team base, is always fun anyway. Playing as a team, team tactics - the hardcore players like doing that, even though they're not playing for a leaderboard position, they're just playing for fun.

Kikizo: The maps we've been playing in the beta are really impressive - we're struck by how you've managed to accommodate five entirely different game types per area without anything feeling forced. How much polishing did it take to achieve that?

Smets: We do a lot of play-testing internally. We have a "Friday Fragfest" where every Friday afternoon at five we play the game... It's a really good way of testing all the mechanics, you know, you just gradually add all your features onto it, but also to play-test your maps. What we did when the guys finished the campaign level that we showed at E3 2007 was that we took the environment and we made some small changes, and then we play-tested it for about six weeks, making sure we got the layout right and that there were enough routes, and to take care of all the spawn-camping that is usually one of the things in multiplayer you really need to think about.

Kikizo: It's been rumoured that the game is in fact finished, and that the reason it isn't coming out this year is that Sony wants to avoid putting it into competition with Resistance 2.

Smets: The time that we still have left is definitely time that we need. As you can see we're still optimising, the frame-rate is still [inconsistent], there are collision errors in there... specifically for multiplayer the whole bug-fixing process, period. A lot of the bugs there will only happen if you have a full game. If you're a programmer and you have a bug fix, you need 32 people to see if your bug-fix actually fixed the bug! And I think that's really why for online multiplayer the process is so much longer, and of course because of the public beta trials, where you have to start really slow and add more people in as you go along.

And a little something for the people that blame Yoshida for the cancellation of Eight Days and The Getaway

Kikizo: But the first thing he did was to cancel two London studio projects...

Smets: No, they were already cancelled. Well, I would say they were already cancelled - we have this process of "green light" meetings... for every project we have these different meetings to see how the project is doing. It really had nothing to do with Shuhei at all. It happened before he was appointed.

Kikizo: In fairness, I think Eight Days and The Getaway weren't as far along in development as most people think they were. It's not like they were nearly finished but suddenly cancelled.

Smets: Oh no, they were still at prototype phase. That's the right moment to decide to hold these kinds of meetings, if you do for a game that's almost done it's obviously too late to have a look at it!

http://games.kikizo.com/features/killzone-2-guerrilla-interview-dec08-p1.asp

ChryZ

Killzone 2 Holiday Wallpaper - Part 1

killzone.com said:
22-Dec-2008 - by Victor Zuylen
Category: News

The festive season is upon us, that can only mean one thing - it's time for another Holiday-themed Killzone 2 wallpaper! Only this year, we have not one, not two, but three different wallpapers for your XMB-decorating pleasure!

Today we give away our first wallpaper - a snowy tableau featuring Killzone 2's four heroes in a rare moment of relaxation and cheerfulness. Stay tuned to Killzone.com, because tomorrow we'll have another wallpaper for you - featuring the dangerous new Helghast adversary, Colonel Radec!
small.jpg

1080P version here:
http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psm...e+2+Holiday+Wallpaper+-+Part+1&kz_news_page=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom