• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

dwin45

Friendly fire wouldn't make any sense with the way the Infiltrator is now. (yes, I know that there are other ways you can tell it's an infilitrator, but firing at them is sometimes the best way)

Shuusui

So..... um... can anyone explain what the 7/11 codes are for? Stopped into one today for some milk and gas and saw Killzone 3 cups. Worth stealing a few cups for?

Jim

Pfft... screw the odds.

Obligatory glamor shots:
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Great OT!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jim said:
Pfft... screw the odds.

Obligatory glamor shots:
http://www.gaming-age.com/reviews/ps3/killzone3/photo1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.gaming-age.com/reviews/ps3/killzone3/photo2.jpg[IMG]

Great OT![/QUOTE]
Those are really awesome figures. Did they come with review copies?

Also, the Helghast on the cover is surrounded by logos just like the ISA guy is surrounded by Higs.

Goddamn, I'm excited for the game after playing both betas, but the cover is hideous. Hopefully someone with mad photoshop skillz cleans it up. And how come Europe gets a Move bar but us Yanks get a bubble? Someone at SCEA needs to be fired.

ConradCervantes said:
Goddamn, I'm excited for the game after playing both betas, but the cover is hideous. Hopefully someone with mad photoshop skillz cleans it up. And how come Europe gets a Move bar but us Yanks get a bubble? Someone at SCEA needs to be fired.
I was gonna say what are you talking about I love the cover but then I saw those awful stickers blocking my beautiful Helgast in the snow. Wow that cover is ugly.

nib95

Banned
It's 5:15am, and I'm still up. My GF is asleep beside me but I don't have work tomorrow. Fuck it...I think I'll just start the campaign now. Stay up all night, sleep early and wake up early fresh for tomorrow. KZ3...here I come baby. Been waiting a long time lol.

nib95 said:
It's 5:15am, and I'm still up. My GF is asleep beside me but I don't have work tomorrow. Fuck it...I think I'll just start the campaign now. Stay up all night, sleep early and wake up early fresh for tomorrow. KZ3...here I come baby. Been waiting a long time lol.

I'm so jelly you could spread me on toast.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so the opening level is just fucking awesome. So much attention to detail. I spent tonnes of time just looking around. So many cool and interesting things to see. Similar to KZ2's opening but even better with much more detail and grandiose.

The gunplay feels as punchy and tactile as ever. Love the pacing so far, slow momentum, almost calm. I imagine before shit really kicks off.

So far visually, simply unbelievable. So rich and detailed. There is literally always something interesting to see unrelated to the action at hand, be it flying ships, smouldering debris, particles and shrapnel floating through the air, awesome sun rays or smoke clouds in the distance etc.

The sharpness is crazy. So my advice to all is drop your sets sharpness to it's very minimum (playing at -15 on my Kuro). Otherwise shimmering (issue with MLAA) will be worse. Overall the IQ is very clean, you only really see any sort of aliasing on closer objects, but even then, not always. Only graphical glitch I've noticed is an issue with character LOD on the snow Helghans, you can, if you look hard enough, notice a slight change from mid to close range. But you have to have a sharp eye to notice. I believe some shadowing above their belts changes? But the character models, geometry, lighting and textures all round have had a thorough improvement.

Anyway, great (unexpected) start, off to play some more!

fernoca

Preordered this, without playing the beta or the single player demo.
Enjoyed the first two games, even when I'm not a big fan of them.

Oh and awesome thread! That's actually the most information I've read and seen of the game so far. :p

demolitio

Persona7 said:
Does that Socom 4 insert have a date or any info about it on it?

Nope, just the usual tease. It sounded like the date was still to be determined on the S4 forums when it was asked but we should have some more info "soon". I'm sure it will be in March to give KZ3 some time to shine before taking all the hardcore SOCOM fans away to play the beta. :D

Rikyfree said:
Why would you want to know that?

Does it matter why he wanted to know the FW?

I would want to know the firmware, I will never update past 3.55 for example.
Custome firmware is to good to not have on your ps3.

Pachimari

The opening level actually surprised me, as I haven't been following the game at all. I still feel the voice acting sounds corny but the graphics are superb. Details and effects in play everywhere as stated. The most awesome level so far is the one I'm at now, with
plants and stealth
. But what really took me by surprise was the
Mechs(!), those feel awesome and I kept thinking this was an epic Metal Gear war haha.

Galvanise_ said:
Indeed. If people can't play a game without spamming grenades or firing wildy around (even placing turrets in stupid places) then they suck. I'm always very careful when I play KZ.

Some people love team killing, which is fine, but if there are appropriate punishments in place (negative score, removal of all ribbons and killstreaks) then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
You can't even destroy friendly turrets, so if someone on your team places one in a doorway, you're screwed.

nib95

Banned
I swear some of these visuals don't belong in this gen lol. At the jungle now, such an awesome level. Story wise, script is pretty weak, but I honestly don't think the story nor VA has been that bad. No different than most shooters tbh, only a little bit more exaggerated or stereo typical. Cut scene sound sampling could be better, off sound effects missing here and there (on rare occasion), but otherwise the ride has been great.

Gameplay has been really varied so far. And the set pieces...my oh my...

EDIT:

Also, I feel like this game has so much attention to detail many (inc me) will miss little sprinkles here and there. Pods that when shot explode to leak florescent coloured goo, bugs crawling towards dead bodies you left behind to eat them, floating particles in the air which you think are random bitmaps or something actually affecting lighting around them and to your character/gun, ragged and wrecked paintings on walls that are actually concept art from GG and so on. Really cool stuff, pleasure just to take it slow and soak it all in.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I had no intention of buying the game before <€20 but after seeing the game includes split-screen co-op I couldn't resist, props to GG for that, there are fewer and fewer titles offering split screen awesomeness this gen.
I got the Limited with green DS3 preordered for €68 from Zavvi, not bad I guess :)

I'm curious to know how the Move fares since 99% of the opinions till now came either from Sony zealots who'd praise anything coming from the corporation (including shit like The Fight) or people bashing it but also always hated (and have zero experiences with) Wii pointer controls anyway.
I'd love to read a well written pros/cons from someone who's proficient with Goldeneye, COD:Blobs, RS2 on Wii.
Otherwise we are bound to the same joke as with impressions on Re5 Gold with Move, which despite being awful and 3 steps backward from Re4 Wii controls, was being lauded as being as good as Re4 Wii's controls... Wasted my money on that one.

Corto

Dash Kappei said:
I had no intention of buying the game before <€20 but after seeing the game includes split-screen co-op I couldn't resist, props to GG for that, there are fewer and fewer titles offering split screen awesomeness this gen.
I got the Limited with green DS3 preordered for €68 from Zavvi, not bad I guess :)

I'm curious to know how the Move fares since 99% of the opinions till now came either from Sony zealots who'd praise anything coming from the corporation (including shit like The Fight) or people bashing it but also always hated (and have zero experiences with) Wii pointer controls anyway.
I'd love to read a well written pros/cons from someone who's proficient with Goldeneye, COD:Blobs, RS2 on Wii.
Otherwise we are bound to the same joke as with impressions on Re5 Gold with Move, which despite being awful and 3 steps backward from Re4 Wii controls, was being lauded as being as good as Re4 Wii's controls... Wasted my money on that one.

Try the demo.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25899318&postcount=780

Mr_Brit

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Why would you want to know that?
I'm still on 3.41 vanilla and want to know whether I'll have to upgrade past 3.55 and lose the ability to do homebrew in the future(even though PS3 homebrew up until now has been dissapointing but that's not relevant to the thread).

A question for Euro guys: I ordered the game from Bee.com a couple of months back when they had it for £29.99.

A couple of weeks ago, they charged me for the game, but yesterday I got a refund from them. However, my order in their web page seems to be OK.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks in advance.

Pachimari

The game just made my PS3 freeze.. =(

I didn't like Killzone 2 that much, but Killzone 3 is seriously winning me over. It's getting so interesting now!

Anastacio said:
The game just made my PS3 freeze.. =(

I didn't like Killzone 2 that much, but Killzone 3 is seriously winning me over. It's getting so interesting now!

I didn't find Killzone 2 that interesting either, been contemplating if I should pick this up or not. Care to explain why it's winning you over? :)

Pachimari

Brother Sport said:
I didn't find Killzone 2 that interesting either, been contemplating if I should pick this up or not. Care to explain why it's winning you over? :)
The controls feels smoother and there seems to be much more variety, not just in environments but in gameplay as well. The defining factor for me personally though, was that there's less blur and use of field of vision, which gave me a headache in Killzone 2.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I don't mind the on-rails moments at all. They are much better than long cutscenes and I find them to be very entertaining. I think they appeal to the old school arcade side of me.

dwin45 said:
Friendly fire wouldn't make any sense with the way the Infiltrator is now. (yes, I know that there are other ways you can tell it's an infilitrator, but firing at them is sometimes the best way)

They are as easy as hell to spot anyway. Though it is the safer option to just shoot everyone, its also shit.

Top Bottom