• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Animator said:
Seconded. Never understood why people liked that map.

People tend to like small maps where there's not much thinking about where the enemy is and what needs to be done.

//B1G

Banned
People loved Radec because it was a small and symmetrical arena map. If you had two teams that were comprised of people that actually knew how to play the game Radec is a really fun map. It's only when playing against shitty randoms it's not entertaining.

Fuck it, I've just had some good news so while I'm in a great mood, I'll pre-order the damned thing.

Anwhere to get a copy in the UK that doesn't come in a steelbook but still has the DLC vouchers etc?

Violater

Horsebite said:
Yeah...really going to miss getting spawn camped as ISA for the entire map.

That map was a total clusterfuck and I am glad it won't be coming back, personally.

This really only happened when rockets were disabled, and tacticians were brainless.

commish said:
People tend to like small maps where there's not much thinking about where the enemy is and what needs to be done.

The map offered a change in gameplay, for me it was great for some mindless TDM fun which every shooter should have the option of offering.

scoobs

wow i preordered on amazon and its saying estimated delivery date is freaking february 28th - march 2nd. WHAT

Violater

scoobs said:
wow i preordered on amazon and its saying estimated delivery date is freaking february 28th - march 2nd. WHAT

N.A.?

Shipment 1 of 1
Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate: February 22, 2011

Release date delivery FTMFW

scoobs

Violater said:
N.A.?

Shipment 1 of 1
Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate: February 22, 2011

Release date delivery FTMFW
Yep NA. I'm gonna fucking flip if I get it a full week later.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
scoobs said:
I've got release date shipping but my PS3 probably won't be back from Sony in time.

Violater

scoobs said:
Yep NA. I'm gonna fucking flip if I get it a full week later.

If you don't already have one you should get an Amazon prime membership.
I got a year free for being in college.

Full Recovery said:
<---- I had to make this my avatar. tom_wtf.gif can take a break for awhile.

:lol
I love how hard he is pedaling on that flat surface :)

scoobs

OK all is well, I was just a tard and didn't change it to release date delivery. Its okay folks, nothing to see here... just an idiot.

Animator

commish said:

There is small map and there is clusterfuck. Radec was the latter imo. I absolutely loved salamun market though. That map was so much fun.

Jim

I assume most everyone plans on playing the game on the Hard difficulty?

I play all FPS games these days on the hardest unlocked difficulty available and in KZ3 it feels about perfect IMO. Some challenging bits
one part of the mech mission
but nothing annoying or tedious yet. It's intense but enjoyable.

I'm not quite sure why the story was hated on. Seems above average compared to most of the other FPS garbage out there.

Also, the game never gives you an excuse to really stop playing. There are no obvious "now loading" segments or breaks other than the story scenes, so I kept telling myself "just this one more objective" which inevitably lead to playing much more than anticipated.

Sethos

Banned
Is the highest difficulty level also locked in the retail game like the demo or is it open from the get-go? Hate when developers do that, they think it lures people into a second playthrough but I can never be bothered with that and just leave the game with a less satisfied feeling :(

Cagen

DMeisterJ said:
I want some of what you're smoking.

edit:

I'm talking about wanting Radec over Salamun.
"with exos" being the key statement there. I would rather have Radec Academy than have to suffer another map with fucking Exoskeletons.

Salamun Market is my favourite killzone map, by far the best designed map but man, fuck those exos.

Cagen said:
"with exos" being the key statement there. I would rather have Radec Academy than have to suffer another map with fucking Exoskeletons.

Salamun Market is my favourite killzone map, by far the best designed map but man, fuck those exos.

wouldn't a cloaked sniper be able to drop the exo pilot with one or two well placed shots?
i really don't have the answer to this, i wasn't in the closed beta.

amar212

Galvanise_ said:
Without spoiling it for me. . . is the endgame good?

Visari is in the intro and he's featured on the valentines sent out by Sony. . .please let him still be alive somehow.

Every type of answer to this question would be considered spoiler I guess.

left_senseless said:
wouldn't a cloaked sniper be able to drop the exo pilot with one or two well placed shots?
No. With the cockpit windows as small as they were in the beta, you'd have to be a superhuman shot with most guns to nail a pilot out of a moving mech.

owlbeak

Violater said:
This really only happened when rockets were disabled, and tacticians were brainless.
Eh...I played tactician exclusively and the problem was helghast could camp the sewer exit and your main exit and you were basically shut down.

I didn't find it so much a problem if rockets were disabled, but I think the game was ruined when they removed spawn grenade invulnerability. That just turned the game into a spawn camp fest with people hiding behind grenades, even if they were thrown in decent locations. Luckily the grenades are gone, and they added TSP's in KZ3 that have the temporary invulnerability back.

Horsebite said:
I didn't find it so much a problem if rockets were disabled, but I think the game was ruined when they removed spawn grenade invulnerability. That just turned the game into a spawn camp fest with people hiding behind grenades, even if they were thrown in decent locations. Luckily the TSP's in KZ3 have the temporary invulnerability back.
That was when the game hit its stride, actually.

Jim said:

I play all FPS games these days on the hardest unlocked difficulty available and in KZ3 it feels about perfect IMO. Some challenging bits

I'm not quite sure why the story was hated on. Seems above average compared to most of the other FPS garbage out there.

Also, the game never gives you an excuse to really stop playing. There are no obvious "now loading" segments or breaks other than the story scenes, so I kept telling myself "just this one more objective" which inevitably lead to playing much more than anticipated.

Thanks for the advice, I guess its Hard for me than. I'm glad you are enjoying it, I tend to side with your opinion on most games so its good to hear that it delivers.

Edit: damn your unquotable avatar

commish said:
Where midnight launch?! I only know of Wal-Mart, and there are none near me...

are you in colorado?

gamestop at 88th is having a midnight launch. for both bulletstorm and killzone 3 i guess? thats what they told me.

DoomGyver

left_senseless said:
I've done it a couple of times, you need the perfect angle and a lucky shot but it is possible.

Violater

Horsebite said:
Eh...I played tactician exclusively and the problem was helghast could camp the sewer exit and your main exit and you were basically shut down.

I didn't find it so much a problem if rockets were disabled, but I think the game was ruined when they removed spawn grenade invulnerability. That just turned the game into a spawn camp fest with people hiding behind grenades, even if they were thrown in decent locations. Luckily the grenades are gone, and they added TSP's in KZ3 that have the temporary invulnerability back.

There were the stairs, the sewer and obviously the front door, most of the tim I could run up the stair and jump the railing flanking the door campers.
Or get over into the library place a spawn point and again flank the campers.
It only becomes tedious when your team would not use the bloody spawn point.

As for rockets being disabled, a few good suicide grenade runs were often just as efficient.

I agree with Cagen, fuck the Exos. worst addition to the game imo and should be made optional for the maps.

commish

TrAcEr_x90 said:
are you in colorado?

gamestop at 88th is having a midnight launch. for both bulletstorm and killzone 3 i guess? thats what they told me.

NYC unfortunately :\

A.R.K

Jim said:

Just because its KZ!!!! The game that has to meet the highest expectations in every category for the esteemed gaming journalists. Yeah its fucking absurd how this game is shitted upon for the same reasons that most FPS are guilty of or even worse but get away with it without a smudge.

left_senseless said:

It can be done, but I don't think it is a tactic that can really be counted on.

I am wondering if GG has reduced the speed that Exos heal at to make engineers more necesary? I also hope that they fixed all of the animations as they looked really messy in the Alpha.

Exos were annoying on Corinth Highway which from end to end was probably larger and more open than Salamun, plus there were W.A.S.P emplacements. I really don't see how they will adapt Salamun for Exo style play that won't just result in pushing all on-foot gameplay into the buildings or back alleys. Salamun is the best KZ2 map and could be the best KZ3 map despite the changes in the various classes, assuming TSA locations are well picked...

However, the addition of Exos means that the back areas (good Assassination defend locations, S&D locations and S&R locations) will now be wide open for constant missile barrages. The main road will also be a deathtrap as it seems Exos will be able to fit under the bridge (and will be able to attack each C&H zone).

The retro packs should have just seen slight style updates and otherwise have been left alone.

A.R.K said:
Just because its KZ!!!! The game that has to meet the highest expectations in every category for the esteemed gaming journalists. Yeah its fucking absurd how this game is shitted upon for the same reasons that most FPS are guilty of or even worse but get away with it without a smudge.
Unfortunately, Gaming Journalists still haven't gotten over eating crow from E3 07. This shit has been going on for the past 4 years with the series.

A.R.K said:
70. Minutes. of Cutscenes.

Thats why.

amar212 said:
Every type of answer to this question would be considered spoiler I guess.

Ah okay. Well, in your opinion, is the final few gameplay scenarios as good or better than KZ2? Purely from a gameplay standpoint.

Canova

Banned
Jim said:

nope.

I plan to start on easy or whichever gives me unlimited ammo

Someones should post the killzone 2 in game graphics to the E3 07 trailer image again. I love looking at that. Also someone needs to do a comparison to that trailer to killzone 3!!! hahaha

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
canova said:
nope.

I plan to start on easy or whichever gives me unlimited ammo
DemonsSoulsAvatar.jpg

does not compute. Ammo is never a problem in these games.

-

I can't say I like the new Salamun, BG looks nice though. Hopefully the spawns aren't ridiculously awful.

Canova

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
DemonsSoulsAvatar.jpg

does not compute. Ammo is never a problem in these games.

-

I can't say I like the new Salamun, BG looks nice though. Hopefully the spawns are ridiculously awful.

You have to forgive me, but this is my first FPS EVER!

A.R.K

NullPointer said:
70. Minutes. of Cutscenes.

Thats why.

you know what my friend...if it had like 5-10 mins of cutscenes, they would have still complained but the other way around

There will ALWAYS be something WRONG with KZ :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cagen said:

Yeah, I hope that Exos don't ruin Salamun.

I mean, hopefully they can't cross under/over the bridge, and moreso hopefully many people are running with the Missle launch to take them down.

commish

A.R.K said:
you know what my friend...if it had like 5-10 mins of cutscenes, they would have still complained but the other way around

There will ALWAYS be something WRONG with KZ :)

Reviewers can go fuck themselves for all I care. Play the Demo - if you like it, buy it. That's the point of a demo. If you are unsure, rent or buy used 2 months later for half the price.

Fact: I didn't play a single minute of KZ2's single player.

Probable fact: I won't play a single minute of KZ3's single player.

All about the MP.

Cagen

Just aired a KZ3/Move/Sharp Shooter advert in half time of the Champions League game. Good stuff, pity I have to wait until the 25th :(.

spats

Cagen said:
Just aired a KZ3/Move/Sharp Shooter advert in half time of the Champions League game. Good stuff, pity I have to wait until the 25th :(.

They're actually advertising it unlike Killzone 2? I'm shocked. *golfclaps Sony*

amar212

Galvanise_ said:
Ah okay. Well, in your opinion, is the final few gameplay scenarios as good or better than KZ2? Purely from a gameplay standpoint.

It is different to be honest.

I would sustain to compare it, because you have to realize that KZ2 and KZ3 are basically one campaign of events, sliced into two chapters. Something like Matrix 2 and 3.

Pure genre-wise, KZ2 gives much more classic FPS-driven feeling in the ending chapters, but that is understandable because of the setting of the actual missions. KZ3 is different, because setting of the chapters is different, thus resulting with unexpected approach to the final scenarios.

However, it is convincing more this way, because it would be impossible to make it believable differently.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Someones should post the killzone 2 in game graphics to the E3 07 trailer image again. I love looking at that. Also someone needs to do a comparison to that trailer to killzone 3!!! hahaha

Killzone 3 looks 5x better.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TrAcEr_x90 said:

I'm replaying KZ2 now. KZ2 technically is no where close to what I've played of KZ3. Shooting still feels amazing though, even if the Higs can sometimes be a little bullet-spongy.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, someone mentioned it in another thread and I'm wondering exactly the numbers, but KZ3 has a smaller viewing angle than KZ2? How much smaller?

Dyno

Great OP! Very mighty!

I will co-op the SP with a bud and hopefully the multi is something I can get in to.

StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, someone mentioned it in another thread and I'm wondering exactly the numbers, but KZ3 has a smaller viewing angle than KZ2? How much smaller?

KZ3 actually has a slightly wider FOV than KZ2. You can see more of the character's hand.

Also, Helghan Industries is the best designed map in KZ2. Looks sick as hell too.

Top Bottom