• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire Switch details: Touchscreen control, Gyro aim, 1080p docked, 720p handheld

tkscz

Vern right now

giphy.gif

Edit:
You are right. I regret my post.

Did not see him make that edit.

Weird. I have no issues with mine.

Personally I dont buy games to support publishers. I operate on the idea that they need to give me something I actually want before I buy their stuff. Most of the time they simply dont. But Doom for instance, I think I wanna get just because it looks awesome. And I'll get the resident evil revelation games cause they are pretty fun. But I am not aimlessly buying shit. If you dont want LA Noire future support shouldn't hinge on you buying something you dont like.

You should never buy a title in hopes of it enticing the publisher to bring more games to a platform. Buy it because you want to play it.

Also, if Rockstar is gauging the validity of a GTA V port on LA Noire's commercial reception, they're not as smart as I give them credit for.

You both are correct and I know how I came off in the post you two quoted. That post was me "thinking out loud" more than anything else. Like I mentioned LA Noire types of games (sorry can't think of this games genre) don't appeal to me. I learned this after I completed LA Noire years ago but I still had a good time in my one play through of this game. I made that post to help my thought process of whether I should give it a shot on the Switch while I was also thinking about R* possible future ports.

Yeah, GTA V on Switch makes a lot of sense at this point. I've always been under the impression that Rockstar would gladly port a GTA title to a Nintendo system if the hardware allowed it and the consumer base was there.

- GTA on GCN didn't happen because of disc storage space
- GTA on Wii didn't happen because of the hardware + the typical Wii consumer wasn't purchasing the system for the types of games Rockstar creates. Even still, they ported a couple of their recent (for the time) titles, but there was no recent GTA game that would work on the hardware.
- GTA on Wii U didn't happen, because....it was the Wii U. A commercial disaster.

Unless Switch has major issues handling GTA Online, I expect a version of GTA V at some point. Heck, I could even see Rockstar just porting over the single player and calling it a day.

Yeah, good post. I didn't realize that GTA on GCN came down to disc storage space. This should finally be the first GTA on a Nintendo console (granted, we had some on handhelds). It's such a crazy selling evergreen title that you would want to have everywhere you can, like Minecraft.

Sounds good. Buying this for Switch because I never played L.A Noire before and I seriously hope this game having success can trigger GTAV on Switch. I'd double dip for GTAV on Switch.

Pretty much this tho i played it prior on PS3 and just got distracted

oatmeal

Banned
I remember enjoying this somewhat...but got bored half ay through.

Still interested for Switch, though. Switch makes gaming so much easier.

Platy

Yeah, GTA V on Switch makes a lot of sense at this point. I've always been under the impression that Rockstar would gladly port a GTA title to a Nintendo system if the hardware allowed it and the consumer base was there.

- GTA on GCN didn't happen because of disc storage space
- GTA on Wii didn't happen because of the hardware + the typical Wii consumer wasn't purchasing the system for the types of games Rockstar creates. Even still, they ported a couple of their recent (for the time) titles, but there was no recent GTA game that would work on the hardware.
- GTA on Wii U didn't happen, because....it was the Wii U. A commercial disaster.

Unless Switch has major issues handling GTA Online, I expect a version of GTA V at some point. Heck, I could even see Rockstar just porting over the single player and calling it a day.

And pratically every Nintendo portable system had a GTA game and the switch is.....

And pratically every Nintendo portable system had a GTA game and the switch is.....

A hybrid.

The portable entries were all-new versions anyway, on two of their handhelds (GBA and DS). I was speaking on the possibility of a mainline port.

But yeah, it is true that Rockstar has a brief history with GTA on Nintendo platforms.

Edit - Completely forgot about the two GBC games. So, three Nintendo handhelds.

2 out of 4.

If you count Game Boy and Game Boy Color as a single product line, he's technically correct. GTA has been on every Nintendo portable, save for 3DS.

Not that it really matters, as bringing a mainline console entry to a Nintendo system is very different than something like GTA Advance or Chinatown Wars.

TheMoon

If you count Game Boy and Game Boy Color as a single product line, he's technically correct. GTA has been on every Nintendo portable, save for 3DS.

Not that it really matters, as bringing a mainline console entry to a Nintendo system is very different than something like GTA Advance or Chinatown Wars.

for some reason I put them on GBA only in my head (+CW), nvm.

jmizzal

Patience.

oh now

Even tho I wouldnt get GTAV on my Switch I have played enough of the game and I dont like GTA online, this would be big for Nintendo and Switch and will sell like crazy.

Now if they put out new single play content I would bit

LA Noire is day 1, havent played it in years on my PC

I remember seeing my brother play this, it was an investigation type of game where you walk around and talk to people, but i dont recall any gun usage or shooting of any kind that would benefit from gyro aiming?

I remember seeing my brother play this, it was an investigation type of game where you walk around and talk to people, but i dont recall any gun usage or shooting of any kind that would benefit from gyro aiming?

There is shooting and a cover system. It's only used a couple times.

Ridley327

There are plenty of shooting sequences, particularly in the back half of the game.

Kinvara

Not sure if I want to play through LA Noire again.

It doesn't look like they'll be adding much as far as content goes.

Celine

GTAV has demonstrated staying power even after years of the original release when new consoles appeared.
I see no reason why Take2 would miss yet another money stream from a Switch version.

Yes, lets go back to LA Noire. About texture resolution, I bet they will be last gen ones. Mostly due storage limitations.

Not only that, but it should help the lower bandwidth of memory so textures can stream properly. That's probably one of the reasons why Nintendo designed it that way, to encourage devs to not use ridiculously high quality textures on the Switch.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Do you sincerely believe the 360/ PS3 CPU's beat what's inside the Switch?

Cell is better period on a power level than switch or current consoles. The 360 CPU doesn't as capcom did mt framework test showing it punched at pentium 4 level so no on that one.

Brizzo24

Sounds good. Buying this for Switch because I never played L.A Noire before and I seriously hope this game having success can trigger GTAV on Switch. I'd double dip for GTAV on Switch.

I double dipped on GTAV when I bought my PS4. I played it top death on my Xbox 360, and again on my PS4. Not sure I have the heart to triple dip and play it again. On the go is appealing, but not enough for me.

On the other hand, LA Noire does look cool. I am interested at 40 bucks or less. Not willing to spend $60.

Yeah GTA V makes too much sense. T2 have to try really hard not to make money on it. Evergreen titles and Nintendo consoles goes hand in hand and Take2 (along with Bethesda) are right to exploit Nintendo's blind spot.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Cell is better period on a power level than switch or current consoles. The 360 CPU doesn't as capcom did mt framework test showing it punched at pentium 4 level so no on that one.

But spent most of its power helping out the GPU. :(

You would think that the fact that Skyrim is running on Switch (you know, an Xbox 360 and PS3 game) would deter such dumb comments about GTAV not being able to run, but apparently not...
Agree, and is running the SE edition in 1080p with a lot more stable FPS... Some people just cant accept good news (or rumors) for the Switch.

Spider-Vice

Neo Member

More than a bit:
L.A. Noire for Xbox One comes with new bonus content and looks better than ever with an array of enhancements including updated weather, smog and lighting effects for a more realistic Los Angeles. Plus, real-time reflections on vehicle surfaces and new chrome and dirt effects to create a wider range of vehicles. Players can also discover new collectible hidden Novel Covers and Golden Vinyl records scattered throughout the world and complete objectives to unlock four new suits, each with unique special abilities.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/09/07/la-noire-xbox-one-november-2017/

Also, no one is joking, GTA V is a CPU hog. The last-gen consoles already struggled enough in certain scenes, I can't see the Switch's CPU handling it unless they tone it down even more.

pswii60

More than a bit:

Also, no one is joking, GTA V is a CPU hog. The last-gen consoles already struggled enough in certain scenes, I can't see the Switch's CPU handling it unless they tone it down even more.
I thought Switch's CPU surpassed 360's so why on earth could it not run GTA V?

I'm sure Switch can run any last gen game and then some. We're talking about it running games for a system launched in 2005.

That said, I don't find Switch as impressive as others here. We weren't impressed in 2004 about PSP running games designed for a system launched in 1994. I mean, it even emulated PS1 games.

More than a bit:

Last gen consoles handled it fine and the Switch CPU is more powerful than the Xbox 360's. Power is not an issue.

Now if someone told me internet infastructure was a problem, I may believe that.

More than a bit:

The problem with his statement wasn't that GTAV isn't a CPU intensive game, it's that the Switch's CPU is a good deal more capable than the 360 and (in real world use) PS3 CPUs. And that's not really up for debate, as shown by metrics in this thread.

Last gen consoles handled it fine and the Switch CPU is more powerful than the Xbox 360's. Power is not an issue.

Now if someone told me internet infastructure was a problem, I may believe that.

Absolutely agreed. That's also why I imagine Overwatch may never be coming, rather than any hardware problems.

NateDrake

GTA5 core game I could see happening. GTA Online is a different matter.

jts

...hate me...
I can't see GTA V coming to Switch, power issues or not. It's GTA and it's Nintendo.

inb4 chinatown wars

pswii60

I can't see GTA V coming to Switch, power issues or not. It's GTA and it's Nintendo.

inb4 chinatown wars
I think we're only getting this multiplatform LA Noire remaster to plug the gap resulting from the RDR2 delay. But if GTA VI is taking too much time, RDR2 gets delayed again, or GTA V sales finally start to tail off, then I'm sure Rockstar won't be keen to leave the potential money on the table. Perhaps they'll be waiting to see how Doom, Skyrim, et al perform.

GTA V would surely be a profitable venture on Switch, it's more a question of free resources available for the port. I doubt Rockstar would be interested in outsourcing the development.

Top Bottom