• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire Switch details: Touchscreen control, Gyro aim, 1080p docked, 720p handheld

J@hranimo

Banned
So I just watched a news video that mentions what Vern said (shout-out to PlayerEssence) but...really? People really think that 100% confirms GTAV coming to the Switch?

Lol

jts

...hate me...
I mean Doom and Wolfenstein are coming to Switch...
Wii also got a few unexpected "hardcore" 3rd party games, it happens when the sales are there.

Rockstar still only brought Table Tennis, Manhunt, and when the Wii was a proven phenomenon, they were like "okay, we'll bring Bully over too".

Could have brought over any PS2-era GTA.

Just feels like Rockstar doesn't want mainline GTA associated with Nintendo. Not like they are hurting sales either.
I think we're only getting this multiplatform LA Noire remaster to plug the gap resulting from the RDR2 delay. But if GTA VI is taking too much time, RDR2 gets delayed again, or GTA V sales finally start to tail off, then I'm sure Rockstar won't be keen to leave the potential money on the table. Perhaps they'll be waiting to see how Doom, Skyrim, et al perform.

GTA V would surely be a profitable venture on Switch, it's more a question of free resources available for the port. I doubt Rockstar would be interested in outsourcing the development.
I mean, I guess. Everything happens a certain way until it doesn't.

But it would certainly be a surprise and almost "historical" moment rather than the practically given fact I've been reading from some.

TheMoon

I can't see GTA V coming to Switch, power issues or not. It's GTA and it's Nintendo.

inb4 chinatown wars

I'd take Chinatown Wars HD over any other GTA in a heartbeat. Throw in GTA2 as well and I'm in heaven. Or just gimme Red Dead. You know, the good games.

NateDrake

Do people care about GTA Online? Nintendo fans want the core single player experience.

GTA Online makes a ton of money. So on a publisher side of things, yes, they care about GTA Online. Hypothetically, if GTA5 came to Switch but lacked GTA Online and retailed for $49.99, would people be mad that they are getting a lesser game?

GTA Online makes a ton of money. So on a publisher side of things, yes, they care about GTA Online. Hypothetically, if GTA5 came to Switch but lacked GTA Online and retailed for $49.99, would people be mad that they are getting a lesser game?

Heh, you know it'll still be $59.99.

Now watch this post get turned into Youtube videos and GoNintendo news articles again, when I said nothing at all of actual substance.

I'd just like to say that I never posted on the L.A. Noire rumor. I've certainly posted my fair share of rumors over the years, but I didn't make a post on GN for that one. ...and yes, I do see the irony of not making a post about one of the rumors that turned out to be true!

I wouldn't be mad. I'm not sure about overall though.

deleted

If GTA V would be coming to the console there is no way it would come without online. That is the sole reason the game is still selling like mad, the online community is huge, even if it's not on this forum.

GTA online has probably raked in more many than the previous GTAs sold combined.
It's that much of a money maker that Rockstar has stopped working on story DLC to focus all resources on online DLC.

So if GTAV comes to the switch, it will only be the case because they can support gta online on there for a few years.

I'm hoping Nintendo is actually working on better relations regarding online/GaaS type games and that they might have some big online third party titles to announce for when the paid online service goes live. GTA Online would be a big one there, as would Overwatch.

If they don't find a way to allow these types of games with regular patches and updates then they'll be missing out on a lot in the future I would imagine.

Personally, I doubt I would touch GTA Online, but obviously there are a lot of people that do like it based on the money it makes. Not sure how the standard Nintendo Switch owner would feel, or some potential consumers that would be interested in portable GTA though.

I'm hoping Nintendo is actually working on better relations regarding online/GaaS type games and that they might have some big online third party titles to announce for when the paid online service goes live. GTA Online would be a big one there, as would Overwatch.

If they don't find a way to allow these types of games with regular patches and updates then they'll be missing out on a lot in the future I would imagine.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rocket League fall under this sort of model?

Mediking

I think the fact that some gaming media outlets are making articles and videos about Vern and this thread is actually super cool. Shows that NeoGAF still got some power recognition. Lol

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rocket League fall under this sort of model?

I've actually never played Rocket League (or Minecraft) so I don't know to be honest. I've never played GTA Online or Overwatch either, so maybe I'm the wrong person to be commenting on this, but I'm just going by what people (including developers) have been saying about the difficulties associated with regular updates and patches on the Switch.

Maybe all of that is greatly overblown?

NateDrake

If GTA V would be coming to the console there is no way it would come without online. That is the sole reason the game is still selling like mad, the online community is huge, even if it's not on this forum.

GTA online has probably raked in more many than the previous GTAs sold combined.
It's that much of a money maker that Rockstar has stopped working on story DLC to focus all resources on online DLC.

So if GTAV comes to the switch, it will only be the case because they can support gta online on there for a few years.

Right. GTA Online brings in a massive amount of cash. Nothing is stopping GTA5 from coming to Switch. The only obstacle would be GTA Online and whether or not they could bring that entire experience to Switch without too much hassle.

atr0cious

I've actually never played Rocket League (or Minecraft) so I don't know to be honest. I've never played GTA Online or Overwatch either, so maybe I'm the wrong person to be commenting on this, but I'm just going by what people (including developers) have been saying about the difficulties associated with regular updates and patches on the Switch.

Only one developer seems to have this issue(nba playgrounds dev), every other game has been putting out patches as fast as they can. nba2k is a gaas and it's already had 3 patches in it's first week.

I can't recall hearing about this tbh. Other than that NBA Playgrounds dev who apparently had to wait 10 years for their patch to go through.

Online multiplayer, yes. Like Splatoon and Arms. Updates and patches. I'm sure Switch could deal with gta v addons and patches, and ingame transactions.

Yes, exactly. FIFA Ultimate Team is important because ingame microtransations is what that mode is all about for some people.

The only 'problem' I see is storage space.

So I just watched a news video that mentions what Vern said (shout-out to PlayerEssence) but...really? People really think that 100% confirms GTAV coming to the Switch?

Lol

Since we're talking about R* and not Capcom, I think most people already started to believe GTA V was coming with this announcement. Most of the hype for this announcement was more for "R* on Switch" than "LA Noire on Switch". Vern's post just made it more real. Maybe it still won't happen, but bringing GTA V over eventually really just makes too much sense.

If it all goes through I wonder how much Rockstar can fit on one cart. Hoping they use a 16GB cart for the game. I expect it would be fully priced.

Mr Swine

Banned
Right. GTA Online brings in a massive amount of cash. Nothing is stopping GTA5 from coming to Switch. The only obstacle would be GTA Online and whether or not they could bring that entire experience to Switch without too much hassle.

Doesn’t PS3 and Xbox360 version of GTAV have GTA Online? If so the. I don’t see a problem with it being on Switch

If it all goes through I wonder how much Rockstar can fit on one cart. Hoping they use a 16GB cart for the game. I expect it would be fully priced.

I don't think that will be anywhere near enough, so it would be better they use a 32GB one.

Maybe they're waiting for the cost of those to come down lol

Only one developer seems to have this issue(nba playgrounds dev), every other game has been putting out patches as fast as they can. nba2k is a gaas and it's already had 3 patches in it's first week.

I can't recall hearing about this tbh. Other than that NBA Playgrounds dev who apparently had to wait 10 years for their patch to go through.

I'm referring to Jeff Kaplan's comments about Overwatch:

"And also, it's already challenging right now maintaining three platforms and patching simultaneously, which is something that we've finally been able to achieve."

Kaplan said that he was proud of his team for being able to patch simultaneously, and that a Nintendo Switch port would make that difficult.

"Our first couple of patches would come out on PC first and then later on the consoles," he continued. "And a lot of that is because you're working with Microsoft and Sony, and you want to be compliant to their ecosystems.

"Adding a third ecosystem to that just adds a lot of complexity for us, as well."

From this thread.

Obviously none of that is saying it's impossible, it just seems like it greatly complicates existing games with that model. I doubt it has anything to do with hardware too, but rather Nintendo's policies regarding patching. It's one thing to have patches come a few times in a few weeks to fix actual issues, but games like this have regular and scheduled patches and updates, and Nintendo's policy on that might be causing problems for all we know.

From this thread.

Obviously none of that is saying it's impossible, it just seems like it greatly complicates existing games with that model. I doubt it has anything to do with hardware too, but rather Nintendo's policies regarding patching. It's one thing to have patches come a few times in a few weeks to fix actual issues, but games like this have regular and scheduled patches and updates, and Nintendo's policy on that might be causing problems for all we know.

I remember that quote and I took it to mean that they're already stretched trying to support 3 platforms already without adding a fourth into the mix.

Oregano

From this thread.

That's nothing to do with Nintendo specifically. He's just saying juggling PC + 3 Consoles is more complicated than PC + 2 Consoles.

LCGeek

formerly sane
That's nothing to do with Nintendo specifically. He's just saying juggling PC + 3 Consoles is more complicated than PC + 2 Consoles.

Along with a crappy online platform that doesn't make what blizzard or companies like it do smooth or easy.

Nintendo needs to grow up in this area and there are no excuses for it.

Also remember that patches MUST hit all four versions of Rocket League simultaneously, otherwise cross-platform multiplayer can't work.

So it can be done.

Bigger issue for something like Overwatch is lack of voice chat options.

atr0cious

Along with a crappy online platform that doesn't make what blizzard or companies like it do smooth or easy.

Nintendo needs to grow up in this area and there are no excuses for it.
Folks, fifa and nba2k, two giant money making GaaSs, are both on the switch. Nba2k has already put out 3 patches in it's first week of release. There is nothing stopping these games but developer willingness to spend money adapting to the platform.

Zedark

From this thread.

All that says is that they can't be bothered to scale up towards supporting another ecosystem because they are stressed out af already. Nothing there suggests Switch is harder to work with from what I can gather.
Folks, fifa and nba2k, two giant money making GaaSs, are both on the switch. Nba2k has already put out 3 patches in it's first week of release. There is nothing stopping these games but developer willingness to spend money adapting to the platform.
Exactly. Nothing we can discern at the moment suggests in any way that running gaas on Switch is a behemoth undertaking.

I remember that quote and I took it to mean that they're already stretched trying to support 3 platforms already without adding a fourth into the mix.

Obviously yes, but that's kinda the point when it comes to games like Overwatch and GTA Online. I'm not saying they won't necessarily come or they can't work on this platform, I'm just saying that the main barrier for those games seems to be the developers complying with whatever patch requirements Nintendo has in addition to what those games already have to support. Which is why I said that it might be possible that Nintendo is working with developers to figure out a good system/pipeline for translating these GaaS updates to be easily compatible with the Switch's online ecosystem, such that they might even get some big name online third party games to launch with the paid online service.

My point is, adding a new patch/update target seems to be the biggest barrier to games like this, whereas single player games like LA Noire or DOOM don't have that problem. Which is why it might be a little less likely we see those games.

jxN3

Also remember that patches MUST hit all four versions of Rocket League simultaneously, otherwise cross-platform multiplayer can't work.

So it can be done.

Lol, that may be for the best. Game is so toxic now.

So it can be done.

You can do voice chat through the Nintendo Switch Online app.

😏

Interfectum

The issue would be the constant updates, patches, and new content the mode gets. Switch may not be the best platform for GaaS.

There is nothing stopping GTA5 from coming to Switch.

Switch has games like Splatoon 2 and getting games like Rocket League. I see no reason why GTA Online wouldn't work.

Top Bottom