• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

latest info from the last scan of Zelda:PH translated

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I really love how that bungie thread helped me root out the people who's opinion should be ignored. the silliest responses in this thread only come to me in form of quotes through normal people who haven't taken the time to fill their ignore list.

Anyway, I think we should give Aonuma more credit. If he thinks this will make it a better game, then he's probably right. I will wait and see for myself. Or at least till someone got some hands-on with it...

Does it have a tentative release date?

Majmun

Rufus said:
Don't you mean pressuring gameplay, or something? Because a game is almost always defined by a set of rules you have to follow, no matter what. (Except when it's fun to **** around with the game world.)

The fact that you are being forced to do something -this time winning time to survive- is not pressuring, but just annoying and it's really limiting your "exploring pleasure".

I think the game won't be that hard and the rules will be quite easy to follow, I think. But being forced to do the same thing over and over again (winning time to survive) is a bit tedious and unnessecary.

A real turn-off. IMO

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Rufus said:
What would it matter? I mean, the series isn't exactly known for a compelling storyline and it doesn't have to either...

I don't like time constraints much, but if it's just in the dungeon it's not as bad, I guess. I wouldn't want to feel hounded all the time. Above that, I got a little sick of the same old formula. Maybe that'll shake things a little up for the better. Maybe.

A different storyline doesn't mean that they would make no effort into gameplay (Nintendo is not Square). I'm just asking for something that feels different. I have been playing Nintendo games for more than 20 years and ****, with Peach and Zelda I had enough. You know, stop the Princess Rescuer Training shit.

It was romantic in 1985 when Mario Bros came and rescued Peach for the first time, but nowadays isn't romantic at all!

On the other hand. They're trying something different. I'm not going to bitch about the hurting atmosphere thing because it's a very valid formula. There's tons of possibilities so I'm not worried about that. I just want a formula that is different but still as fun as any other Zelda. I loved Ocarina, loved Majora's, Loved Zelda 1, Link's adventure, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and Four Swords and the (don't get crazy) Sailing Theme from Wind Waker. But I need new things, I don't want to get another shitty Twilight Princess that as far as being the best Zelda game... feels like Ocarina of Time 1.5.

I want Nintendo to go back to the NES era and try something different. Hell, they should get back to Link's Adventure and make a perfect version of that ****ing great game!

AdmiralViscen said:
I remember the time I smashed my NES when I found out I needed the Blue Candle before accessing Level 8. I was ****ing livid.

Yes, that's what I want in too!

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is the part where we bitch about them trying something new, then bitch about the next Zelda when not much as changed.

Right?

JavyOO7

tanasten said:
OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? I have tons of write ups with ****ing great stories just taking Wind Waker's end as a begining.

I'm deceived, very deceived. I can't see a good future for the Zelda series. Someone kill Aonuma!

http://emosong.ytmnd.com/

Somnid

Thank God they're talking it to new places but I suspect this may not even be enough. The series is becoming one giant recipe card and it's been bringing it down recently. Majora's Mask had the balls to be different and it turned out to be the best one. Throw me some more curve balls big N, these losers just want to play OOT for the rest of their lives, they don't need a new game.

Overreaction-Age in full effect!

tanasten said:
OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? I have tons of write ups with ****ing great stories just taking Wind Waker's end as a begining.

I'm deceived, very deceived. I can't see a good future for the Zelda series. Someone kill Aonuma!

:lol :lol :lol

ethelred

WastingPenguins said:
GAF -- reviewing games based on spotty, unconfirmed translations months before its release date.

Just a note: Xcomp's translations aren't spotty, and I don't know what more confirmation you need. It's a good blog that does a thorough job reporting info from Famitsu and other various magazines.

That sounded very enticing to me. I think its a good idea to have limitations like that. Also to add more themes to the game. I am sure the Zelda team will output another classic. They always deliver.

tanasten

the thoroughbred said:
That sounded very enticing to me. I think its a good idea to have limitations like that. Also to add more themes to the game. I am sure the Zelda team will output another classic. They always deliver.

Minish Cup, Oracles, Four Swords Single and in a minor fault, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker exist to break your sentence. Zelda is on a roll! (WTF!)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
tanasten said:
Minish Cup, Oracles, Four Swords Single and in a minor fault, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker exist to break your sentence. Zelda is on a roll! (WTF!)

it's minish cap. and those are all exceedingly great games.

ethelred said:
Just a note: Xcomp's translations aren't spotty, and I don't know what more confirmation you need. It's a good blog that does a thorough job reporting info from Famitsu and other various magazines.

Eh, fair enough. Still, it is what it is. There's no way to tell exactly how the "hp dropping" mechanic will play out in the finished game based on this one translated sentence, so not wait and see before we go into freak mode?

Rufus

So, does anyone else think that they shuffled the usual mechanics around a bit too?
Someone else said it already, but so far it doesn't sound like they changed much aside from including a time limit for the main dungeon. Besides having a main dungeon which seems to be accessible from the beginning, of course.
But the time limit in the main dungeon, and the main dungeon itself lends itself quite well to a non-linear way of advancing the game. Or not... It depends on where you get your items and if you need to beat all bosses, I think.
Usually you got them in a dungeon, solved some puzzles and maybe beat the boss with it and went on to the next dungeon where it might be of use too, to either get this dungeons item, other treasures or beat its boss etc.
This time they may hide all items in the main dungeon, make you beat the first boss to get enough time to reach the first item, use that to beat the next boss and so on. Depending on how many ways there are to bet a boss, you may be able to chose which one to tackle next, or if to tackle another to, supposing you don't really need the time to advance in the main dungeon and get another item or reach some sort of save room where the curse doesn't affect you.

I'm tired and not sure if that makes any sense, but uh, yeah...

Rufus

tanasten said:
A different storyline doesn't mean that they would make no effort into gameplay (Nintendo is not Square).
How you made that connection is beyond me at the moment.

tanasten said:
I'm just asking for something that feels different. I have been playing Nintendo games for more than 20 years and ****, with Peach and Zelda I had enough. You know, stop the Princess Rescuer Training shit.
Well, I don't really care that much about the frame of reference or the characters motivation in most of Nintendos games. That's what I wanted to say earlier.

tanasten said:
Hell, they should get back to Link's Adventure and make a perfect version of that ****ing great game!
Nah, new IPs with new character is what I want to see. Maybe the above point is why that's not happening. :lol They just don't need to. Design game, put Mario in it, done. (Yes, that's a generalization.)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
omg rite said:
This is the part where we bitch about them trying something new, then bitch about the next Zelda when not much as changed.

Right?

pretty much. The reviews of this game are probably going to be the best though, they are going to be complaining about the changes at the same time as quoting their Twilight Princess reviews where they complained that not enough changed

tanasten

Avalon said:
This sounds really cool. Anything that gets Zelda out of it's traditionalist rut is fine by me.

Agreed. Let's hope it ends being a good choice.

Rufus said:
replys...

A few misinterpretations by myself. I agree with you.

tanasten said:

Someone who says Minish Cup cant be trusted for their Zelda opinion. And its not like the u batton is even neur the a button and you accidentally switched them. You obviously havent memorized all the names of every Zelda game and that is why you are a noob and you should go talk about Zelda on gamefaqs where they said that all the dungeons in Wind Waker ruined a good sailing game.

ivysaur12

Banned
Avalon said:
This sounds really cool. Anything that gets Zelda out of it's traditionalist rut is fine by me.

YES! I think I'm the only one on the board who didn't finish Twilight Princess. I usually love Zelda, but IMO, TP added almost nothing to the gameplay besides some Wii controls (which made me like the game a lot for the first half, but then I realized it was the same game I've played before).

super funk said:
Someone who says Minish Cup cant be trusted for their Zelda opinion. And its not like the u batton is even neur the a button and you accidentally switched them. You obviously havent memorized all the names of every Zelda game and that is why you are a noob and you should go talk about Zelda on gamefaqs where they said that all the dungeons in Wind Waker ruined a good sailing game.

MC isn't that great. I own at least 1 copy of every non-CDi Zelda game.

I would really like to see the next Zelda game be all overworld, no dungeons. The game would be nothing but sidequests and world exploration and it would be awesome.

Narag

super funk said:
I would really like to see the next Zelda game be all overworld, no dungeons. The game would be nothing but sidequests and world exploration and it would be awesome.

I won't be happy until it consists of nothing more than Link visiting Zelda, Zelda finding the triforce in a glass jar in her cupboard, and her asking him to unscrew the lid since its on too tight.

This thread really reminds me of this from the SE party thread.
496171929_eec04b4555.jpg

Belfast

Sounds like absolute trash. Just the kind of bad idea masquerading as an "innovation" that staunch Nintendo fans are wont to unabashedly defend.

Belfast said:
Sounds like absolute trash. Just the kind of bad idea masquerading as an "innovation" that staunch Nintendo fans are wont to unabashedly defend.

THERE'S BARELY ANY ACTUAL INFO

How do you people read blurbs and turn it into stiff condemnation of a game?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm glad someone showed up to remind us that anything that sounds remotely different is a bad thing. the situation almost got out of control.

Avalon

Belfast said:

:lol

Who is the Nintendo fan? Someone who wants the game to continue down it's traditional path or someone who wants the series to change because they are sick and tired of playing the same game over and over again?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Avalon said:
Who is the Nintendo fan? Someone who wants the game to continue down it's traditional path or someone who wants the series to change because they are sick and tired of playing the same game over and over again?
You kind of just blew my mind.

Belfast

AdmiralViscen said:
THERE'S BARELY ANY ACTUAL INFO

How do you people read blurbs and turn it into stiff condemnation of a game?

I'm commenting on the basic idea as it is presented in the translation (which may be of questionable accuracy in the first place). I'm not the one extrapolating that information into some wishful fantasy that may or may not end up becoming reality.

he catch is the place is cursed and your HP will drop slowly while you’re in there. And that’s where the Phantom Hourglass comes in. Using it will protect you from the curse for a limited amount of time.

But how do you refill it? Well, you’ll have to go around exploring islands marked out on your sea charts and defeat bosses to get some more “Sands of Time”.

This is what we "know" and I'm taking it at face value. It sounds like an incredibly annoying and unnecessary idea. I have no problem with the series innovating, especially considering I've reacted negatively to more reiterative entries in the series, as well. This just doesn't sound like a very good direction to take things, either.

ethelred

Avalon said:

The fact that you're playing a Nintendo game at all -- to speak nothing of actually lowering yourself to speak of one on a forum -- is more than enough to condemn you as a staunch Nintendo fan.

ivysaur12

Banned
ethelred said:
The fact that you're playing a Nintendo game at all -- to speak nothing of actually lowering yourself to speak of one on a forum -- is more than enough to condemn you as a staunch Nintendo fan.

Please ethelred... never change.

F#A#Oo

Banned
OMG...hehe...someone opens a thread on a translated and not confirmed story/game mechanics and everyone goes mental...jesus wept!

I like to judge whether a game is good by actually playing it...:D

Belfast said:
I'm commenting on the basic idea as it is presented in the translation (which may be of questionable accuracy in the first place). I'm not the one extrapolating that information into some wishful fantasy that may or may not end up becoming reality.

Instead, you are extrapolating it to "absolute trash." Any game design, reduced to one sentence, sounds like shit.

God of War has a guy running forward and beating up guys. He has to collect thousands of orbs in order to learn abilities that can help him beat up more guys.

OMG A COLLECTATHON AND IT HAS NO VARIETY. UGH

Moral of the story: It's all in the execution. And drawing any kind of conclusion on a small amount of info is ****ing retarded.

Belfast

ethelred said:

Please! Stop with the hyperbole!

I could make a list of all the Nintendo games I've played lately, but I really shouldn't have to.

A Nintendo fan is most likely to be someone who will go out of their way to defend even the worst of the company's ideas or someone who feels personally affronted by the prospect of said ideas as if Nintendo was an abusive step-father whose love and attention they just couldn't earn no matter how hard they tried.

Belfast

AdmiralViscen said:
Instead, you are extrapolating it to "absolute trash." Any game design, reduced to one sentence, sounds like shit.

God of War has a guy running forward and beating up guys. He has to collect thousands of orbs in order to learn abilities that can help him beat up more guys.

OMG A COLLECTATHON AND IT HAS NO VARIETY. UGH

Moral of the story: It's all in the execution. And drawing any kind of conclusion on a small amount of info is ****ing retarded.

And surely, if God of War were ever actually described that way in the media, it would deserve such a response!

Avalon

Belfast said:
A Nintendo fan is most likely to be someone who will go out of their way to defend even the worst of the company's ideas or someone who feels personally affronted by the prospect of said ideas as if Nintendo was an abusive step-father whose love and attention they just couldn't earn no matter how hard they tried.

And how does that apply to anyone in this thread? How many people in here have mentioned their disappointment with TP's archaic gameplay?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
listen, if you could let me know what the worst of the company's ideas are, i'll be fast to root out these staunch nintendo fans post-haste. i really had no idea.

Belfast said:
And surely, if God of War were ever actually described that way in the media, it would deserve such a response!

I'm sure I could find a blurb in some Japanese magazine describing it shittily. Or one of those multi-game-per-page preview things in Game Informer.

The point is that a game doesn't "deserve" a dumbass response because it receives a brief simplistic description someplace. It's juvenile.

Belfast

AdmiralViscen said:

LOL

Once again, I was commenting on the information presented.

I said it was a bad idea, and since that's all we have (not the actual game in our hands, which, as you'll notice, I did not comment on as a whole), I fail to see where the hyperbole is!

But thanks for playing!

I can tell this is going to go on for pages and pages!

Belfast said:
Once again, I was commenting on the information presented.

I said it was a bad idea, and since that's all we have (not the actual game in our hands, which, as you'll notice, I did not comment on as a whole), I fail to see where the hyperbole is!

But thanks for playing!

I can tell this is going to go on for pages and pages!

You were commenting on the game's design concepts, USING the information presented, which is insufficient to draw any conclusions about the game's design concepts. Then you typed up a rant about Nintendo fans who aren't even in existence in this topic.

So, yea, hyperbole.

I don't have a problem letting it go, you might though. But you're the one who already looks foolish. Peace.

Top Bottom