• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

latest info from the last scan of Zelda:PH translated

I'm not going to write the game off so soon, but time limits can really break a game for me. Its the reason I really hated starfox ds, which is a shame because it would've been a great game otherwise.

joesmokey

I don't think it's fair to lash out at the game from just a tiny bit of information that we don't even know how the idea is implemented.

I generally dislike time-based limits on exploration games because I like the freedom of being able to do whatever I want. For all we know though, if played out it could just seem like a typical Zelda and not really be an issue at all.

Hopefully more information will be released soon to actually explain how the concept is implemented.

Llyranor

I like the concept. Having the 'main' dungeon available from the start sounds nice, though you can only explore most of it once you go through other dungeons first. I don't see how it radically breaks free from the Zelda formula. You're going through dungeons... isn't that the point?

As for the time-limit while in the dungeon, if the devs implement it properly and it portrays a good sense of urgency while underwater, I'm all for it. Each time you finish a new dungeon, you could go in the main dungeon and see what new areas you can explore and what new finds you can muster. Sounds like a good play on exploration. As I said, I like.

As for island-based gameplay, not an issue from my end. I haven't played WW, so I can't attest to how tedious the navigating was, but what footage I've seen of it in PH sounds good. Drawing navigation routes on the stylus, and stylus controls for the cannon. I'm also quite interested in the stylus swordfighting.

I'm quite optimistic for this game.

Sharp

Man it's a good thing Tabris convinced me not to buy a DS, everyone in this thread who's played the game says it sucks :(.

apujanata

Monsterland said:
I'm not going to write the game off so soon, but time limits can really break a game for me. Its the reason I really hated starfox ds, which is a shame because it would've been a great game otherwise.

With enough practice, you should be able to finish the Starfox Command (for DS) game. My 6 year old son can finish it, even though he is having difficulty when he first got the game. In only four month, he can finish it (while I couldn't).

It's great. Across Zelda message boards as soon as we posted this info, so many fans were complaining about the game being harder. That's right after they all said Twilight Princess was too easy.

Zelda fans (on average) have no clue what they want.

AniHawk

Last time Aonuma did something radically different with the design of the game, we got Majora's Mask. This will be one polarizing game.

Thank God, Aonuma is changing Zelda! I don't want to see Zelda suffer from Mega Man style sequels, I want to see Zelda change, and from the looks of PH, it seems to be changing plenty (And looking fantastic too!)

Sounds great, fuck the haters! I'm glad that PH is the start of a revolution in the franchise (Aonuma said this himself, the Zelda series's shift begins with PH) it's gonna be fantastic!

TSA said:
It's great. Across Zelda message boards as soon as we posted this info, so many fans were complaining about the game being harder. That's right after they all said Twilight Princess was too easy.

Yea, that too.

Nicktals

Banned
What I think it might be:

Imagine the main dungeon as a much bigger version of ganon's tower in OoT, where you had to play through a mini version of each world with a theme...but imagine it rather as almost half of the dungeon itself in PH. You beat the boss at the end of the temple and get the item. It would offset the formula quite a bit because you would technically have to base the boss' weakness of the next level with the item you picked up in the last themed dungeon...If that made any sense. I think it could be pulled off. And when the beat the second half of the dungeon (in the main dungeon) you get a map or something which shows you coordinates of where you need to go next or something.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TSA said:

Zelda fans just want to reexperience Ocarina of Time for the first time. So I have a solution: The next Zelda game should be packed in with a mallet. Everytime the Zelda fan wants to play the game they just wack themselves with the hammer and they will be able to play the game in all of its originality and greatness.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's possible that they mean that you permanently increase your "Sands of Time" (ugh), and it'll empty while you travel that dungeon. But when you leave, it is refilled.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Avalon said:
And how does that apply to anyone in this thread? How many people in here have mentioned their disappointment with TP's archaic gameplay?

Well, can't speak for anyone else, but my problems with TP certainly weren't the because of the 'archaic gameplay'. Just that it fell short in certain areas (music, sidequests, etc.).

It's pretty funny actually considering some people laud MM for being so different, yet I've heard several people complaining that it's too similar to OoT as well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ph_famitsu.jpg

Recently there were some doubts raised over who the "missing" person was in the game that Link was searching for, even after Nintendo's own descriptions originally said it was Tetra. Weekly Famitsu once again re-affirms that this missing person who was kidnapped is indeed Tetra.

Lineback, the captain of a ship and a new character revealed a few weeks ago, appears to agree to help Link only because the two have a common interest, much like how Midna and Link team up at first. Lineback allows Link to come aboard his ship and pursue Tetra. Lineback himself is actually seeking a treasure hidden within the Ghost Ship (this is apparently the same "ghost ship" mentioned in the English description that is the catalyst for the adventure.

Additionally, Link's fairy companion is named "Shiera" (spelling/term not certain because we're not the official localizers). The new scan also reveals a new mysterious old man, who apparently is named "Shiwan (again, spelling/term uncertain), and he will help out Link in the game.

As for new gameplay tidbits, there are sea charts that will be hidden in the main underground temple that will allow Link to access new islands (this sounds a bit like Tingle RPG). All the time-limited exploration is just inside the temple, and it's all because of the curse.

Another interesting piece of information is the fact that when Link enters a dunegon, he becomes "cursed" and will lose strength until the curse is broken using the powers of the Phantom Hourglass. Link doesn't become cursed per se, it's the temple that's cursed. The curse basically prevents you from spending a lot of time inside the temple, as you gradually lose your strength while you're inside. The Phantom Hourglass cancels the effects of the curse for a certain amount of time, which depends on how much sand of time you've collected. The Phantom Hourglass is powered by the "sand of time", which Link can collect by defeating bosses on each new island. The "sand of time" apparently will extend the duration of the effects of the Phantom Hourglass. The magazine just mentions one cursed temple, we don't know whether there will be more cursed temples, or just plain normal temples, for that matter.

We'll continue to provide you with the newest details of Phantom Hourglass before anyone else, including upcoming coverage in about 5 weeks of the Japanese version.

http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1178828759&archive=&start_from=&ucat=5&

Mau ®

Last time Aonuma did something radically different with the design of the game, we got Majora's Mask. This will be one great game.

Ah Majoras Mask. What a masterpiece! I would be all over a DS port!

inthezone said:
Ah Majoras Mask. What a masterpiece! I would be all over a DS port!

So would I. I know people are so against ports (but praise Castlevania PSP and Star Ocean remakes), but I would give my all for a OoT/MM compilation on the DS... they're already plenty repayable, and having them portable would be a dream.

Unfortunately that and SSB DS would make way too much sense, and alas, Nintendo hates fun nowadays.

tanasten said:
OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? I have tons of write ups with ****ing great stories just taking Wind Waker's end as a begining.

I'm deceived, very deceived. I can't see a good future for the Zelda series. Someone kill Aonuma!

And the hurry up theme... well, can be good enough done correctly. I just want a gameplay design that fits very shorts plays (5 minutes max). I wouldn't have finished Minish Cup without the GBA player!

Remember Nintendo, 5 minutes max!

Zelda is my favorite console game series, but I agree, for the most part.

OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? [/quote[

is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I read that... they can do better, and have before! Why this again? "Rescue the Princess" plots need to STOP! Link's Awakening has the best plot in the series. No "rescue the princess". Ocarina of Time is next; minimal "rescue the princess (only for most of the last dungeon, that's it), and Zelda has a strong role. Majora's Mask has a good plot too... no "rescue the Princess". Wind Waker is okay...there is a 'rescue the princess' plot, and a 'rescue your sister' plot before that, but like in OoT Zelda has a strong role most of the time. The others, though... Yeah. Not so good. The way Twilight Princess brought back the basic "Rescue the Princess" plot, a la LttP or the Oracles games, and pretty much completely dropped the strong Zelda of OoT and WW, was the thing that dissapointed me most about TP... I was really hoping for something a lot better than that, but it ended up as the least interesting plot in the main series (ie excluding the Capcom Zelda games) since, well, LttP. Not good, not good at all. That they're doing it again... even worse. :(

Gameplay-wise of course TP was fantastic, one of the best ever and maybe even better than OoT (my favorite console game of all time), but even though I probably should, I just can't ignore the weak story (like I was able to in the Oracles games, which I quite enjoyed despite their pretty iffy plots)... similarly here, other than the story the gameplay changes in Phantom Hourglass sound like they could be interesting.

Uh...WAIT:

ONE main dungeon?
You have to explore the world to find stuff to further explore the main dungeon?

Ok, excet for the details, that´s EXACTLY what i f****** wanted!!!
Omg xD
*tears of joy*

Now further develop that concept, Nintendo, and give me a Zelda Wii, where you dont have to find more sand, but have to find items to progress within the main dungeon. ^^

Oblivion

Edit: for those of you tired with the OoT formula, what exactly would you want different? Less dungeons? Less sidequests? Would that actually make it better?

Neomoto

No matter what the **** they do people will always bitch about it

Wind Waker graphics? **** you Nintendo, whyyy
"Realistic" graphics? **** you Nintendo, looks like shit
2D? **** you Nintendo, how "original"
3D/semi 3D? **** you Nintendo, looks like shit
Touch-screen controlls only? **** you Nintendo and your gimmicky shit
Traditional controlls only? **** you Nintendo, what the eff are you thinking
Not much innovation? **** you Nintendo, how about trying to do something new for once
Big changes? **** you Nintendo, stay with the old way, bastards

etc. :lol

Whatever, I trust Nintendo in making a great Zelda. And so far the game looks great on DS and I for one am happy that they tried another "Celda" because The Wind Waker's style and such was awesome but the game had some faults. This concept could work well I guess, but I hope that you have enough time each time do give you enough 'breathing air' to go off the path once in a while and such.

ninge

i <3 GAF.

This threads full of people bitching about nintendo changing the zelda formula and every twilight princess thread is full of other people bitching about that game not breaking away from the zelda formula.

Always bet on Bitching.

its the ds functionality that makes this game look good:

mapmaking, navigation/treasurehunting, boomarang throwing, and the online vs. mode. its nice to see the ds hardware fulfilling its purpose, revitalizing stale games.

As expected, massive hyperbole. I thought people wanted the OoT formula to be changed?

It's official, no matter what direction the series takes, there will be bitching.

Sounds interesting, I could definitely use this kind of change. Majora's Mask afterall is easily one of my all time favourite games.

Interesting to say the least. I'm glad they're trying for something new this time around.

The bitching here is golden. TP gets sh*t on bc it's same old, same old. PH gets sh*t on bc it does things differently.

psy18

Somehow I suspect all of you guys posting here have a big ugly grin plastered all over your face, knowing that a new Zelda is coming.
Yes, all of you.

Dascu

Damn glad to see Aonuma's being creative with the franchise. One big dungeon to explore sounds really cool. Though the dropping HP thing sounds a bit annoying, I'm (almost) sure Aonuma will keep it from getting tedious and tiresome.

Dascu said:
Though the dropping HP thing sounds a bit annoying, I'm (almost) sure Aonuma will keep it from getting tedious and tiresome.
Just like he kept sailing in WW from getting tedious and tiresome? ... oh ...wait
It will be one of those features that are build in to fake "innovation" where none is, because the developers are completely clueless about what made their franchises popular in the past and just throw in random ideas in order to make it look fresh, when all they do is too cut the fun aspects and add distracting ones.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
super funk said:
Someone who says Minish Cup cant be trusted for their Zelda opinion. And its not like the u batton is even neur the a button and you accidentally switched them. You obviously havent memorized all the names of every Zelda game and that is why you are a noob and you should go talk about Zelda on gamefaqs where they said that all the dungeons in Wind Waker ruined a good sailing game.

If I don't know to spell the name game correctly is due to natural confusion and because I'm not interested in the title/game name. Just like the Oracles, I don't give a shit for it and it could be Cup as Cap, I wouldn't care off it.

Also, for a non-natural English speaker isn't that hard to mix these two words, and sometimes one makes mistakes like this easily. It's called dyslexia and I'm used to it.

BTW, I'm not a noob. If I say that Minish Cap isn't that great, it's just my opinion based on my experience. Any other Zelda less the Oracles is better.

I actually replayed Oracle of Seasons and I'm rethinking my stance on it...it's definitely a lot harder than I remember. Earlier dungeons are crap, but after Level 4 they get pretty good. I forgot how hard the final boss fight was. Going to replay Ages later this week...

Oblivion

Oblivion said:
Edit: for those of you tired with the OoT formula, what exactly would you want different? Less dungeons? Less sidequests? Would that actually make it better?

Ramenman

TSA said:

Truth.

Some are disappointed by TP taking too much things out of OoT, but they DO NOT want the old formula to be changed.

This is kind of a surprising surprise to me too and I'm not sure at all if I will end up liking it, but at the end of TP I really felt like "I'm not playing this same game again", even more since some of the dungeons were terribly boring this time. So I'll never blame Nintendo for trying new things with the gameplay.

sammy

i wanted a new zelda with a different formula. so i'll take whatever the hell i can get - Minish Cap is still there to be all kinds of awesome.

The combat for Ph should be like Ninja Gaiden DS.

I would like to see a zelda where Link wakes up in a giant castle like in ico and he has to solve puzzles to escape somehow. The castle should have many variety in rooms that would represent dungeons.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
A Link to the Snitch said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's possible that they mean that you permanently increase your "Sands of Time" (ugh), and it'll empty while you travel that dungeon. But when you leave, it is refilled.

I assume that since it's an hourglass, the sand flows down for a set time. then when it runs out, you can't flip over again to reset the time till you exit the dungeon. Then you get more sand so you can stay in for longer.

I'm really not sure what people are complaining about. Or even how people are praising it for changing the formula. This is nowhere near the departer that MM was. The time repeating mechanic was so much more game changing than making the final dungeon open at the beginning.

I'm going to assume all important items will be in the main dungeon. That way you'll have to "explore section 1, find item, leave, go to sand package 1 dungeon, fight boss, claim sand, go back to big dungeon, explore section 2, find item, leave, go to sand package 2 dungeon..." Sooo basically they split up each level into two parts. I don't see the item in other places, because if they did that, you could gather all the sands and run through the dungeon in one go.

Enough speculation for me though. I think it looks fun. Just not a huge departure.

TSA said:
I was already disappointed by OoT, it felt unfinished and empty.
Especially the large hub overworld was terrible, not as terrible as the unskipable tutorial (which reminded suspiciously about aonuma's first game marvelous)

What made Zelda popular was the detailed world it was set in, the exploration and the adventure and puzzle aspects of the gameplay.
OoT dumbed down many of thoses aspects, Wind Waker was just innovation gone wrong.
TP was the first 3D Zelda I was able to enjoy, though there are some aspects that could've been even better.

All the bitching is crazy. For all we know, the HP dropping could work like this: As long as you have a certain amount of sand, you are able to explore a certain part of the dungeon. If you try to go outside that part, THEN you start losing HP due to the "curse" or whatever. So you explore the parts that you can, get an item or whatever, then go out in search of more sand so you can delve deeper in. See? That wouldn't require any sort of time limit whatsoever.

Obviously I have no idea how it will work, but the translated snippit tells us jack shit.

Link Man

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
All the bitching is crazy. For all we know, the HP dropping could work like this: As long as you have a certain amount of sand, you are able to explore a certain part of the dungeon. If you try to go outside that part, THEN you start losing HP due to the "curse" or whatever. So you explore the parts that you can, get an item or whatever, then go out in search of more sand so you can delve deeper in. See? That wouldn't require any sort of time limit whatsoever.

Obviously I have no idea how it will work, but the translated snippit tells us jack shit.

That's how I interpreted it as well. Kind of the same deal as with the Temple of Seasons in Subrosia, only bigger.

Top Bottom