• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen UP: 04/03/09 - GDC Wrap Up

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, I feel the same, I didn't think it would have such a huge impact but the show has really deteriorated. They hugely miss Shane's gaming knowledge (which added lot of funny insights that are lacking now). I hope they can get it back but they really need to focus I think on getting people who can talk about games and the industry with a wider perspective(i.e referencing older games, games from various genres, gaming history, etc., to make jokes and or more serious points).

Yes, well said. I would never have thought that before, but in the end the loss of Shane from the podcast seems to be a much bigger loss than all other guys that have left the show.

I have never really followed the lives of gaming journos, why is it that Shane left 1up yours? He was definitely my favourite of the bunch, when he left it was almost like the others had nothing to talk about, the depth in which they talked about issues decreased and things just generally became less interesting. Every form of entertainment that involves the interaction of people needs a lovable jerk, Shane was that jerk.

gantz85

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
ngai was on?

i agree that since shane left it hasnt been the same. 1up yours was the epitome of gaming podcasts. now there's a handful that have surpassed it.

How about listing them? I'm ready for change.

Best episode for me were the ones with Jeff Green and Shane.

iplay5150

gantz85 said:
How about listing them? I'm ready for change.

Best episode for me were the ones with Jeff Green and Shane.

Definately Idle thumbs and Giant Bomb. It took me a few listens of each to grow to appreciate them as I do now, though, as I was already really familiar with the 1UP podcasts and the personalities. But trust me, give them a chance, catch up on some old eps, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy them. These two podcasts have been awesome replacements for 1UP Yours and GFW.

Out of the Game, is of course, way awesome. A Life Well Wasted is amazing whenever Bobito puts one out. Player One is a very good one also.

Flavius

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I have never really followed the lives of gaming journos, why is it that Shane left 1up yours? He was definitely my favourite of the bunch, when he left it was almost like the others had nothing to talk about, the depth in which they talked about issues decreased and things just generally became less interesting. Every form of entertainment that involves the interaction of people needs a lovable jerk, Shane was that jerk.

They actually mention it on the last "official" 1up Yours (if you haven't heard it yet, go back and listen, it'll give you some perspective as to why some of the long-time listeners aren't digging the more recent shows). Shane's working for Ignition Entertainment now.

And speaking of 1up Yours, I was one of those guys saying that the name should definitely be changed way back when. My thinking was do something different and let the new show stand on its own. But it seems to me as though nothing has really changed here in terms of the formatting, so you might as well use the more well-known and well-respected branding.

iplay5150 said:
Definately Idle thumbs and Giant Bomb. It took me a few listens of each to grow to appreciate them as I do now, though, as I was already really familiar with the 1UP podcasts and the personalities. But trust me, give them a chance, catch up on some old eps, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy them. These two podcasts have been awesome replacements for 1UP Yours and GFW.

Out of the Game, is of course, way awesome. A Life Well Wasted is amazing whenever Bobito puts one out. Player One is a very good one also.
If people can't stand Matthew Kumar here I don't think they'd like Giant Bomb much.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
infinityBCRT said:
If people can't stand Matthew Kumar here I don't think they'd like Giant Bomb much.

:lol

it's very insulting to giant bomb--which is an excellent site and perhaps an even better podcast--to insinuate that they're as completely wretched as the last segment of this podcast. people on giant bomb have competent arguments, are eloquent, and though they keep a very casual self-aware "duuuuuuuude" tone, the guys can really break down what's good and what isn't in a game in a very intelligent way.

listen to giant bomb's game of the year podcast, in which they air out in public the methodology with which they came to their g.o.t.y. decision. there's reasoned discussion and order to a process that could have been completely disastrous and awful.

you're being really unfair with this, conflating casual discussion and lots of goofing off with utter retardation. plenty of the latter in the last segment of 1up yours this week, but no such situation has ever arisen on giant bomb.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I thought it was pretty retarded that no one on Giant Bomb knew a damn thing about Xbox Community Games last episode.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
as soon as microsoft does something to put a wealth of information out about xbox live community games, i'm sure they'll get right on that. i don't know anything about them either, besides the fact that the ones that are worth knowing about thus far have been stripped out of that service and co-opted into xbox live arcade.

Linkified

Shig said:
I thought it was pretty retarded that no one on Giant Bomb knew a damn thing about Xbox Community Games last episode.

I thought they said they heard about it but never realised it shipped with nxe, and to be fair who can blame them its not like Microsft is actually pushing people into buying these games/apps.

fossen

DMczaf said:
I'm only 10 mins into the infamous 2nd half, and it's even worse than I thought it would be
I must have listened to a different second half.

Yeah, the Drunken Scot was a Drunken Scot and the rest of the table was taking the piss.

But I understood the point Kumar was making, and the loudness and chaos of it seems like part-n-parcel of the E3/TGS/GDC mass roundtables that happen.

I don't get anyone complaining that this was some kind of legendary fail. There've been worse segments and drunker guests (and hosts).

Grecco

Shig said:

Eh. Most people dont. Microsoft has the Community games in a shady backdoor in the NXE space. Blame Microsoft and their piss poor marketing on them.

The GB guys dont spend hours talking about boners and feelings. So thats +1 for them.

To those of you that made it through the second half, my hats off to you. That was absolutely painful to listen to. I opted for deafening silence instead.

Struct09

When beelzebozo is spewing negativity about something, you know it's bad.

And I have to agree, the second half of this podcast was really hard to listen to. Maybe there should be an enforced BAC cap for podcasting.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Struct09 said:
When beelzebozo is spewing negativity about something, you know it's bad.

And I have to agree, the second half of this podcast was really hard to listen to. Maybe there should be an enforced BAC cap for podcasting.

i actually feel a little sorry for kumar. i'm sure as some have said he's a nice person, but i think it's hard to argue he didn't make this a really awful podcast (or at least the second half), and make a complete fool of himself in the process. very unfortunate.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
LiK said:
they are not alone.
Grecco said:
Eh. Most people dont.
That's not a valid defense. They run a gaming site, they should have more information than the average person. Hell, they could probably find a regurgitated press release somewhere in their own site's news archive that would clearly tell them everything they were in the dark about.

I dunno, I just find it kinda ridiculous that people that write about games for a living can't be arsed to check out a free demo or two on a new service on a major console. I'm not asking for an encyclopedic knowledge or anything, but none of them even seemed to have one iota of knowledge about the service.

beelzebozo said:
:lol

it's very insulting to giant bomb--which is an excellent site and perhaps an even better podcast--to insinuate that they're as completely wretched as the last segment of this podcast. people on giant bomb have competent arguments, are eloquent, and though they keep a very casual self-aware "duuuuuuuude" tone, the guys can really break down what's good and what isn't in a game in a very intelligent way.

listen to giant bomb's game of the year podcast, in which they air out in public the methodology with which they came to their g.o.t.y. decision. there's reasoned discussion and order to a process that could have been completely disastrous and awful.

you're being really unfair with this, conflating casual discussion and lots of goofing off with utter retardation. plenty of the latter in the last segment of 1up yours this week, but no such situation has ever arisen on giant bomb.
I love Giant Bomb. They have a lot of non-video game banter. If people get annoyed by Kumar's banter, why would they like Giant Bomb's?

Slavik81

I listened to that comment at the 56 minute mark about 10 times, and I think they're saying "This guy is really drunk."

Also, I love the bonerz deflection.

Shig said:
That's not a valid defense. They run a gaming site, they should have more information than the average person. Hell, they could probably find a regurgitated press release somewhere in their own site's news archive that would clearly tell them everything they were in the dark about.

I dunno, I just find it kinda ridiculous that people that write about games for a living can't be arsed to check out a free demo or two on a new service on a major console. I'm not asking for an encyclopedic knowledge or anything, but none of them even seemed to have one iota of knowledge about the service.
I agree. There have been a few podcasts where I've been left to shake my head.

Grecco

Shig said:

Being 4 dudes to cover major news, review actual games kinds of leaves them little time to mess around with fart machines, calculators, massage things and the rest of the stuff available. Hell do you think bigger websites know a damn thing about whats good on there too?

chriskun

Linkzg said:
pretty much

The two things I wonder are if that segment Garnett did cut was really so bad that this had to replace it; and if those who found it to be hilarious (and call out those who don't) really need a gaming podcast with a drunk person on it to derive their entertainment from.
I don't need a gaming podcast with a drunk person to derive entertainment from, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't entertaining. It was a nice break from hearing John Davidson talk about iphone games for once.

I laughed more during this episode than anytime I've listened to a podcast since the Brodeo. The guy with the Scottish accent is fantastic! He had so much enthusiasm for games, I was disappointed that some of the others on the podcast seemed to want to shut him down. You could really tell by listening that this guy loved games and felt like he had something to say.

As a longtime listener of the show, I've noticed a few times where it can get off topic, but the people on the podcast talking are enjoying themselves and talking about the kind of stuff that the 1up audience can enjoy. Usually, Garnett reels them back in to the topic. While sometimes that is useful, most of the time I think that if people are having fun, and it's somewhat related to game culture or what gamers do, then let them run with it! That's what made the Brodeo so awesome, and that's what made a lot of the previous stuff involving shit like Shane and Luke arguing over NPD's fun to listen to as well. And at the end of the day, I think that the thing that most people who are engaged in game culture, and listen to things like 1up Yours, are after is fun.

Top Bottom