• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode 65 | 6/17/2011

LiK

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

The dust has settled on E3 2011 and we sweep up with a full slate of games we saw on this week's show. But before getting to that, Xav, Jeff, Garnett, and our good friend Andrea Rene of Clevver TV tackle Duke Nukem Forever. From there it's on to Forza 4, F1, Hitman, Torchlight 2, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ace Combat, and many more. Duke resurfaces in the news when the group discusses the fervor over the reviews and PR responses. There's the rest of the videogame news as well and we wrap it all up with Finishing Moves.

Direct

theBishop

Banned
Is anyone else getting into the hardware launch mode where if a podcast doesn't mention Vita or WiiU, you tune out?

I'm getting flashbacks to 2005.

Take a drink every time:

Garnett makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense
Jeff says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation
Andrea giggles
The group chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix

Feel free to add your own

Shadow780

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Andrea giggles

fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Completely agree with them on Duke, I couldn't even finish it. It was boring and had horrible design.

The level you drive an RC car all the way through a level then walk back over where you just drove pissed me off, why the hell was that in there...

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Andrea giggles

lol, oh you.

Mrbob

Garnett keep the real talk going strong. Kinect is not a hard core device. It is not made for hard core games. At best you get shoe horned in experiences with Kinect being added to titles.

I swear we have had this conversation 5 years ago when Wii was selling mass amounts. How do you make the Wii accessible to hard core gamers? It never happened! The big difference is the Wiimote and nunchuck have extra layers of functionality Kinect never will have. It is going to be funny watching flop after Kinect flop hit when it comes to making it a hardcore device. Guess companies didn't learn from the past.

Let Kinect be what it is. It is a casual device for casual games.

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Andrea giggles

I think my friend's and I will die from alcohol poisoning.

Grisby

Cool, weekend confirmed. Just finished the e3 stuff, big thanks to Garnett and the crew.

Also, Jeff thanks for balancing out that podcast and giving a shout out to Saints Row 3.

I feel like I missed out on the whole 1up scene. Is there anywhere were I could listen to the best of stuff? I didn't really start podcasting until Squadron of Shame, WC, and GB. This group seems to predate all of that though.

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Garnett keep the real talk going strong. Kinect is not a hard core device. It is not made for hard core games. At best you get shoe horned in experiences with Kinect being added to titles.

I swear we have had this conversation 5 years ago when Wii was selling mass amounts. How do you make the Wii accessible to hard core gamers? It never happened! The big difference is the Wiimote and nunchuck have extra layers of functionality Kinect never will have. It is going to be funny watching flop after Kinect flop hit when it comes to making it a hardcore device. Guess companies didn't learn from the past.

Let Kinect be what it is. It is a casual device for casual games.

What are you talking about? I've talked to gunheads who can't wait to play jazz hands.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Grisby said:
I feel like I missed out on the whole 1up scene. Is there anywhere were I could listen to the best of stuff? I didn't really start podcasting until Squadron of Shame, WC, and GB. This group seems to predate all of that though.

Yup. This was made for you.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is Garnett just playing devil's advocate or does he actually believe the bullshit defense he is spouting for Duke?

Wow, really got heated at the end with the criticism talk. They have legit beef though, so much of the "score is for clicks" and "moneyhats" stuff is total nonsense. I wish when they were talking about poorly written reviews they would have called a few sites out for it. Spamming vitriol and putting a number at the end of a page does not mean you've written a review. Reviewers should be held to much higher standards in this community. It's simple: if you can't jusify why you're giving a game a good/bad score, don't bother reviewing it at all; your only wasting our time if you haven't.

MiniBossBattle said:
Not really excited about the Horse whipping for kinect either.
Oh you didn't get the memo? Interactive horse carriages are the next big thing in gaming "immersion". What a bunch of malarkey.

sikkinixx

After hearing Shane, Luke, Skip and John on last week's (and on Bombcast pt. IV) it makes me pine for the old days. Garnett seemed so happy.

DangerStepp

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Andrea giggles

Jeff :
  • Says "onus"
  • Mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption
  • Makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes

Xav:
  • Says the f-word.

Garnett:
  • Laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard"

I'm getting TRASHED tonight.

FStop7

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Is Garnett just playing devil's advocate or does he actually believe the bullshit defense he is spouting for Duke?

he's been spouting a bullshit defense for duke since the last time he and jeff and andrea did this go around about what the game would do when released. he's far too committed for his ego to survive an admission of error, so he's going to run his opinion into the ground.

Garnett & the crew already confirming my purchase of Forza 4 & F1 2011. Ugh, i need to get a 360 wheel or G27 compatibility.

Asynchronous racing sounds awesome and that type of gameplay should be implemented in a lot more games.

@Garnett - Have you seen Rendezvous? Ferrari racing through the empty streets of Paris. This is what NFS: The Run could have been.

coopolon

BocoDragon said:

I actually just finished listening to the 2006 one. Even though I had listened to them when they were being released as well, I forgot just how good a chemistry Garnett, John, Luke, and Shane had. The Luke/Shane dynamic was so incredibly entertaining.

Andrea would make a great FOX NEWS anchor.

She basically just makes broad, sensationalistic statements without any effort to back them up with substance of basic rationalization.

Plus she's pretty attractive.

Also, I found the "I'd rather play Darksiders than Zelda" comment pretty saucy. Saucy enough that I might just swing buy Gamestop and pick it up tomorrow.

Grisby

24FrameDaVinci said:
Also, I found the "I'd rather play Darksiders than Zelda" comment pretty saucy. Saucy enough that I might just swing buy Gamestop and pick it up tomorrow.

Darksiders surprised the hell outta me. I wasn't so much a fan of the art style but it grew on me quickly and the Zelda formula works wonders.

Ulairi

Banned
24FrameDaVinci said:

Yeah. I found that to be pretty bad, too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
24FrameDaVinci said:
Do they really say that? Because that's a really dumb thing to say.

tsef

MiniBossBattle said:
Ferrari racing through the empty streets of Paris. This is what NFS: The Run could have been.

It's only the sound of a Ferrari, the actual car is a Mercedes.

tsef said:
It's only the sound of a Ferrari, the actual car is a Mercedes.

Oops, I should have read the youtube comments.

The whole 2K PR and journalism quickly turned into a legitimizing your job/life discussion really fast. I trust GAF/people that have spent a long time with the game over most early reviews/major websites. I could care less about getting early access so you can put up your review first.

I've only listened to fifteen minutes but I like this line-up, no offense to guests from past shows but keep this group! Andrea Rene seems like a cool chick and Xav has energy. Both bring interesting insight.

Smeghead

He has to really or otherwise the discussion wouldn't last half as long, even though it can come across as forced for the sake of devils advocate.

Also, nothing against Andrea but she rarely makes interesting contributions to the podcast. Just sayin'....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm with Garnett on the Kinect BS. How is voice chat in ME3 or the Forza crap interesting? Ubisoft tried the voice stuff with their Clancy games (to the point of making an RTS designed for voice control) and no one gave a shit. For whatever reason, people don't want that kind of experience.

Now if you could actually "act" out lines to ME3 and it could read your voice and interpret the correct emotional response (sarcasm, anger, fear, etc), then maybe I'll be suitably impressed. But I doubt we're anywhere close to that yet.

I've never took advantage of Garnett posting here, so since nobody on the podcast appreciates F1, I'll take my chances here and fish for some answers about F1 2011. :D

Could you elaborate on how it feels different to 2010? You mentioned how the car feels more connected to the ground now with Pirelli tryes but does it feel more sim than 2010? Did you find it easier or harder? I personally think F1 2010 has one of the best driving models in any game ever (nearly 250 hours on Steam now!) so I'm really curious about it and none of the previews have really gone in-depth.

Also, you said that they spoke to you about KERS etc, so did they mention anything about the control the user would get over those systems? In an ideal world, KERS and DRS would both have an option to be completely manual.

I'm guessing they probably didn't go that in-depth, but hey, I'm dying for as much info as I can get!

Also, it doesn't matter that nobody on the podcast appreciates F1, as you should buy the PC version and race with some of us GAFers. ;)

Kusagari

I have nothing against Andrea but I rarely find her interesting at all on this podcast. She doesn't really add anything to the discussions and rarely rationalizes her statements.

LiK

Xav says: One more Weekend Confirmed drinking game thing for the GAF list? Whenever Garnett makes a Canadian joke when I'm on the show."

Woo-Fu said:
I think he was playing devil's advocate but I'm glad he did. I'm actually enjoying the game I have to say ( I went in with the lowest possible expectations). As a case study in a game that took half my life to develop, it's pretty fascinating and I'm not ashamed to say I like hearing Duke's voice again after all these years. And yeah I agree with Xav that some of the reviews were overly venomous.

krae_man

Man, Garnett started the Duke Nukem Forever PR tweet discussion off on the wrong foot and every time Xav, Andrea or Jeff starting veering it into the right direction Garnett sent it back the other way or in the case of the last instance ended the conversation.

The issue was the PR firm and some gamers think some of the reviewers went out of their way to insult and bash the game as much as possible. The PR firm isn't the one in the crosshair, the reviewers are. The fact that the PR person threatened to blacklist some sites is just a side story here.

One of the reviews being criticised is the 1up review so you can't just dismiss any bad reviews that might exist as being from people or sites that don't matter.

To me it seems like the game was a joke for 13 years and some reviewers treated the review like a joke and that's what got the PR person upset because it's not a joke to them.

T-Matt

Jeff had a good Brady Bunch analogy and Garnett craps on it and goes on to compare Andrew Dice Clay and Demetri Martin.
I feel postcards are the Twitter of snail mail.

krae_man

The Sly 4 stuff actually has me dissappointed. I watched the video on the Playstation Blog and I noticed the two things I hated most about Sly 2 were there: multi hit health bar, and the dev said Murry and Bentley(and possibly more they don't want to disclose yet) are playable.

I wish they would have went back to the one hit your dead death mechanic and designed the levels based off that and playing as anyone other then Sly sucks, always will suck, and there's nothing they can do to make it not suck.

Clue bottles returning helps but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

Nizz

Nice, will listen. Last week's was epic. There's something missing though...

Thanks

<>

JABEE

Garnett it's called a DELAYED PENALTY. The referee holds up his arm until the team that is being penalized touches the puck. If they score during the penalty, no time is served in the penalty box.

Top Bottom