• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 72 - August 5th 2011 - Andrea Rene and Diabolical DRM

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny, on the one hand I agree with them on Catherine, on the other hand it's infuriating because it's clear that they haven't finished the game yet and a lot of the themes they are talking about evolve by the end of the game.

Heck, they are even trapped in the stupid "good vs evil" BioWare morality mentality when talking about the game. It's the one thing that the game is NOT trying to do. :/

Also, Andrea is ugh. Sorry. :(

After listening to the podcast...

Not everyone is as "weak" as you seem to think they are Garnett.

You seemed to completely miss the fact that you can buy and sell in-game gold as well - a key point that would influence your opinion. Having an exchange rate between gold and real money will mean that neither auction house will ever be completely useless.

And why be upset at people who DO want to buy stuff? If they want to buy stuff with real money that's their prerogative even if it's "cheating the game" from your point of view. If you're the one selling items, you make money off their "lack of integrity".

And yes, a system that displays whether something was traded for or picked up yourself could be a reasonable solution, but such a thing could just end up fueling the flames of animosity between players. Perhaps if the distinction was between only things your character finds and anything that was never originally yours, whether it be traded from a friend or bought on either auction house like how your character name is implemented on things you craft in WoW, fitting with how the loot system works now (you only seeing your own loot and not having to spam click to pick stuff up.)

One last point:

If I could make put myself through college (unlikely) or even make a little cash playing a game I'll enjoy in my free time when I'm not working or studying, that's great! Earning money off playing Diablo is a bonus - something I couldn't do with other activities I find as enjoyable without spending innumerable hours honing my Starcraft 2, WoW, or Halo skills hoping to win money in a competition. With Diablo, the money (however much) seems like a sure thing given enough time.

With that, I think I'm done here.

mik

mik is unbeatable
What is the deal with resetting every game midway through the conversation as if someone just found the podcast on the radio dial?

"In case you just tuned in, we're talking about Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, part of the Xbox Live Summer of Arcade..."

Is this the official Petros and Money influence, Garnett? ;)

mik said:
What is the deal with resetting every game midway through the conversation as if someone just found the podcast on the radio dial?

"In case you just tuned in, we're talking about Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, part of the Xbox Live Summer of Arcade..."

I noticed that and thought it was kind of funny. This time I had my whole attention on the show, but sometimes if I'm playing a game or doing something else while listening I'll kind of zone out and forget what game they're talking about. If the segment goes on for awhile and the game isn't very distinctive or the discussion doesn't make it obvious...a friendly reminder may be useful. It was overly noticeable to the point of detriment in this episode though.

The one thing that was just repeating in my head over and over in the RMAH discussion is "What about bind on pick up items?" If you want to ensure there's a certain level of I-earned-this to items and sets, just make them bind to character on pick up. You then limit what items can show up on any auction house at all and keep the show off factor of certain items of interest.

burgerdog

mik said:

I actually really like that he did that.

I can't believe these guys covered the Diablo 3 Auction House issue without ONCE mentioning the sale of items in Diablo 2... Or touching on the issue of whether this system will encourage or discourage gold farming.

Still my favorite gaming podcast tho.

keeblerdrow said:
The one thing that was just repeating in my head over and over in the RMAH discussion is "What about bind on pick up items?" If you want to ensure there's a certain level of I-earned-this to items and sets, just make them bind to character on pick up. You then limit what items can show up on any auction house at all and keep the show off factor of certain items of interest.

I think that just goes against the philosophy of Diablo game design though. Not having many restrictions on who can use items is part of what makes Diablo Diablo instead of another game.

Implementing a binding system with the sheer quantity of loot you will get is not an insignificant design challenge as well. How do you balance that? Loot tables for the individual player, rather than a group would make that Uber-BoP bow useless for your Wizard. Seeing a dialogue with any frequency confirming whether you want to pick something up would interrupt the flow in an unacceptable way for an ARPG except in extreme cases.

What I'm saying is - you'd have to rethink the way loot works completely, and doing that would probably end up taking the soul out of the game.

perryfarrell said:
I can't believe these guys covered the Diablo 3 Auction House issue without ONCE mentioning the sale of items in Diablo 2... Or touching on the issue of whether this system will encourage or discourage gold farming.

Still my favorite gaming podcast tho.

As I said in my other post, Garnett didn't mention or was ignorant to the fact that you can also buy/sell gold through the AH as well which weakens or destroys at least part of his argument. The segment was mostly just repeating the reactionary responses without addressing all the facts that I've seen on various forums. Finding discussion that goes beyond the superficial is very difficult right now.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
As I said in my other post, Garnett didn't mention or was ignorant to the fact that you can also buy/sell gold through the AH as well which weakens or destroys at least part of his argument.

It seemed to me that he was aware of these things. They were pretty up to date as far as details were concerned.

It was just an odd discussion that didn't do the issue justice. Which is weird considering some of them like Diable 2 a lot.

lol man garnett should have maybe researched the rmh at bit more. They have said there will be a number of free listings PER WEEK. And predicting $1-$5 per auction lol wtf.

LOL I just got to the main part of the rant lol wow

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
pieatorium said:
lol man garnett should have maybe researched the rmh at bit more. They have said there will be a number of free listings PER WEEK. And predicting $1-$5 per auction lol wtf.

His guess is as good as ours at this point. All of it is subject to as much change as offline single player was. Because of his position, he could know much more than we do, but NDAs and all.

Huff

Banned
So I'm about an hour in and I just half to say that I don't mind Andrea being in podcast. I think she has a good voice and gets along great with the fellas. I just wish she wouldn't talk about video games that she hasn't played. I feel like she doesn't play nearly enough games to really contribute through the whole thing. So talk about what you have played, and then be in the background for the rest.

Kintaro said:
His guess is as good as ours at this point. All of it is subject to as much change as offline single player was. Because of his position, he could know much more than we do, but NDAs and all.

I could see $1 listing fees happening (though I think it will be lower), but even suggesting $5 listing fees was ludicrous for a multitude of reasons.

Weekend Confirmed Drinking Game said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:
* makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense (Neuromancer)
* fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent (Shadow780)
* laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard" (DangerStepp)
* repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)
* makes a Canadian joke when Xav is on (LiK)
* says "crux" (DangerStepp)
* stumbles on a word, thus inventing his own word (IMACOMPUTA)
*mentions anything PixelJunk (DangerStepp)
*mentions Flower (DangerStepp)
*mentions drinking wine/scotch while playing a game the "other night" (DangerStepp)

Jeff:
* says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation (Neuromancer)
* says "onus" (DangerStepp)
* mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption (DangerStepp)
* makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes (DangerStepp)
* uses "sublime" (DangerStepp)
* says "Gameflap" (DangerStepp)

Andrea:
* giggles (Neuromancer)
* admits to never having played an influential or significant game that is more than 2 years old (SkinnyPupp)

Xav:
* says the f-word (DangerStepp)
* makes his own Canadian jokes (Neuromancer)

The group:
* chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix (Neuromancer)
* mentions: "Torchlight" (DangerStepp)
* says "mechanics" (DangerStepp)
* special guest is annoying (DangerStepp)

Jeff Mattas:
*is a no show--take a stiff shot to make for easier listening (DangerStepp)

Feel free to add your own
Added one for Andrea (no White Knights here I assume, unlike the Shacknews thread).

mik

mik is unbeatable
newjeruse said:
I didn't get into R2 multiplayer. Was it really a precursor to MAG? That sounds like it's probably inaccurate.
Considering they were talking abut the R2 co-op, "inaccurate" doesn't even begin to describe it.

I wonder how someone like Patrick Klepek, who has gone on record as saying he considers himself a journalist first, would respond to Garnett's 'there is no such thing as game journalism and there never will be' argument.

CartridgeBlower said:
I wonder how someone like Patrick Klepek, who has gone on record as saying he considers himself a journalist first, would respond to Garnett's 'there is no such thing as game journalism and there never will be' argument.
the term is very loose, but to hear some of these "anti games journalism" types youd think nobody qualifies unless they've had an interview with the pope, the president, or worked for a handful of news outlets.

Goldmund

Weekend Confirmed Drinking Game said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:
* makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense (Neuromancer)
* fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent (Shadow780)
* laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard" (DangerStepp)
* repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)
* makes a Canadian joke when Xav is on (LiK)
* says "crux" (DangerStepp)
* stumbles on a word, thus inventing his own word (IMACOMPUTA)
*mentions anything PixelJunk (DangerStepp)
*mentions Flower (DangerStepp)
*mentions drinking wine/scotch while playing a game the "other night" (DangerStepp)

Jeff:
* says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation (Neuromancer)
* says "onus" (DangerStepp)
* mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption (DangerStepp)
* makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes (DangerStepp)
* uses "sublime" (DangerStepp)
* says "Gameflap" (DangerStepp)
* says "moment to moment" (Goldmund)

Andrea:
* giggles (Neuromancer)
* admits to never having played an influential or significant game that is more than 2 years old (SkinnyPupp)
* offers harsh criticism and then smilingly admits to it being baseless (Goldmund)

Xav:
* says the f-word (DangerStepp)
* makes his own Canadian jokes (Neuromancer)

The group:
* chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix (Neuromancer)
* mentions: "Torchlight" (DangerStepp)
* says "mechanics" (DangerStepp)
* special guest is annoying (DangerStepp)

Jeff Mattas:
*is a no show--take a stiff shot to make for easier listening (DangerStepp)

Added two. I'll join in next week.

Flavius

CartridgeBlower said:

Haven't listened yet, but I imagine he's referencing investigative journalism. Patrick does it, as Luke Smith before him. I think both of those guys did/do a fantastic job (I've gone on record several times: enthusiast press stopped being fun for me the moment Bungie hired Luke Smith away from the biz), but it's a tough angle to work when you are so reliant on publishers for early access, advance release copies, etc.

He may not have articulated his point very well, but if that's what he was working towards, then I have to agree.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Haha! Listening to Garnett freak out right now.
Garnett mad! Garnett smash!

Andrea's laugh is infectious. And I love that Cannata loves things. Xav is like an awesome Zen master.

Great episode all!

DaBuddaDa

CartridgeBlower said:
Patrick is a journalist in the way Garnett describes them. The majority of the news reporting done on Giantbomb is by Alex Navarro or random interns (and sometimes Brad). Patrick mainly writes journalistic pieces, and assists with news from time to time.

dyergram

garnets rage was classic sounded like he was about to through his headphones at the desk and storm out. Great episode as usual though.

krae_man

Andrea thinks the Vita will be able to play all PS3 software? That is never going to happen, it's just not possible.

There are only two ways that would be possible:

1) the Vita was crap load more powerfull then the PS3 and could do perfect emulation

2) Identical hardware is inside(like the Turbo Grafx 16 and the Turbo Duo)

Neither of these things is true.

Besides, PS3 downloadable and retail games have been created in an enviroment where filesizes were not an issue. File sizes of downloadable games for the Vita are indeed an issue as memory is not as available and inexpensive to upgrade since it looks like the Vita will come with little to no internal storage and those cards are going to be a lot smaller and a lot more expensive then 2.5" SATA drives.

eznark

Banned
Garnett is a fucking idiot. His entire Diablo argument boils down to "people should play the way I want them to play."

Fuck you dude. Guess what, there is zero reason you ever need to interact with the auction house or with people who use it. The fuck do you care how people enjoy their game?

Negator

You know what? I'm glad Garnett raged on the show. I'm glad that he expressed his opinion with vigor and enthusiasm because it really shows how much he really cares that the game might go down a potentially self destructive path.

I wish more people just said what they felt on these podcasts and tried to be a little less formal.

DaBuddaDa

Negator said:
You know what? I'm glad Garnett raged on the show. I'm glad that he expressed his opinion with vigor and enthusiasm because it really shows how much he really cares that the game might go down a potentially self destructive path.
I disagree, making an argument while yelling and swearing doesn't validate the argument being made. Passion and enthusiasm are completely irrelevant. Spend more time thinking through your position and the opposition and argue it convincingly. Yelling and screaming is for toddlers and jackasses.

That said, it is entertaining, certainly, when someone flips their shit.

Zzoram

Negator said:

I wish more people just said what they felt on these podcasts and tried to be a little less formal.

Except he made a terrible argument, and came off as childish with his yelling and swearing with no substance to his argument.

Considering that Blizzard already said there would be some free listings per player every week, it's quite obvious that listing fees will only hit power sellers, which would be the gold farmer type people. Also, his argument about the thought that someone out there might have paid for loot driving him mad is retarded because it happens in WoW too with gold sellers, only on Ebay instead of in-game, but he didn't ragequit WoW because of it. It also happens in every single other MMO.

All Blizzard is doing is cutting out Ebay or random-Russian-site, gold selling would happen between players whether or not they allow it in-game.

DaBuddaDa

Zzoram said:
Except he made a terrible argument, and came off as childish with his yelling and swearing with no substance to his argument.
And he knows it and apologized for it right after on the podcast, and it was still fun to listen to admittedly.

eznark

Banned
I like that Garnett claimed this episode somehow changed his order of anticipation. He said months ago that he is more excited for Torchlight 2 than Diablo 3.

njean777

I listened to the show, and admit I will not be buying Diablo 3. I do not think Garnett was fully right in his argument, because he never even brought up the other major factor people were angry about, which is the always online DRM.

Still love the show, and the journalist line was very subjective. Like most other people said Patrick Klepek and a few others do actually perform journalism.

Negator

While I do know their reasoning behind the real money auction house and it actually doesn't bother me too much personally, I completely understand Garnett's point of view.

I played D2 with a group of friends recently and was having a ton of fun. Then, one of my friends started buying items. The game felt cheapened and sour when he did that and it literally killed the interest of the game for everyone else.

It really kind of does fundamentally alter your perception of the game when something like that happens...well, at least it did for me. They have a few opportunities to differentiate players who bought items and people who didn't, like a 'Never equipped an auction house item' mark for your banner or tagging sold items when you inspect people. I think something like that could go a long way for the game.

DaBuddaDa

The computer I'll be playing Diablo 3 on is always online anyway, so that DRM doesn't bother me.

Negator said:
It really kind of does fundamentally alter your perception of the game when something like that happens...well, at least it did for me. They have a few opportunities to differentiate players who bought items and people who didn't, like a 'Never equipped an auction house item' mark for your banner or tagging sold items when you inspect people. I think something like that could go a long way for the game.
They glossed over that argument but I think it might work. Put a little icon on each item of a person's inventory if they bought it from the store.

Of course, that would never happen because it would deter people from using the store, and Blizzard wants money.

Top Bottom