• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 72 - August 5th 2011 - Andrea Rene and Diabolical DRM

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Diablo 3 starts this week's show off for Xav, Jeff, Garnett, and their guest, Clevver games' Andrea Rene. Garnett details his time playing a Demon Hunter in the beta before the subject turns to Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Catherine, the Resistance 3 multiplayer beta, and a couple other games. Diablo 3 also comes back up during the Warning with a discussion of Blizzard's decision to allow gear to be sold for cash in the game that gets, well, a little animated. Xav gets the show back on track with a fat stack of news that carries the momentum right up to Finishing Moves.

========================================================

Weekend Confirmed comes in four segments to make it easy to listen to in segments or all at once. Here's the timing for this week's episode:

Whatcha' Been Playin Part 1: Start: 00:00:00 End: 00:29:05
Whatcha' Been Playin Part 2: Start: 00:29:39 End: 00:59:47
The Warning: Start: 01:00:50 End: 01:36:35
Featured music "Brittle Bones" by Wintercoast: 01:36:35 End: 01:39:35
The Front Page news: Start: 01:39:35 End: 02:16:42

iTunes
Zune
RSS
Direct Download

Grisby

WeEkEnD CoNfIrMeD, :D

I need to go back to last weeks and listen to the Bastion talk now that I'm done.

DangerStepp

Weekend Confirmed Drinkin' Game said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:

* makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense
* fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent (Shadow780)
* laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard" (DangerStepp)
* repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)
* makes a Canadian joke when Xav is on (LiK)
* says "crux" (DangerStepp)
* stumbles on a word, thus inventing his own word (IMACOMPUTA)
*mentions anything PixelJunk (DangerStepp)
*mentions Flower (DangerStepp)
*mentions drinking wine/scotch while playing a game the "other night" (DangerStepp)

Jeff:

* says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation
* says "onus" (DangerStepp)
* mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption (DangerStepp)
* makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes (DangerStepp)
* uses "sublime" (DangerStepp)
* says "Gameflap" (DangerStepp)

Andrea:

* giggles

Xav:

* says the f-word (DangerStepp)

Group:

* chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix
* mentions: "Torchlight" (DangerStepp)
* says "mechanics" (DangerStepp)
* special guest is annoying (DangerStepp)

Jeff Mattas:
*is a no show--take a stiff shot to make for easier listening (DangerStepp)

Feel free to add your own
Andrea Rene...

..Yep. Gettin' trashed tonight, baby.

LMAO at Andrea dropping her relationship baggage on the show.

"All men are afraid of commitment."

Not all of us. Just like not ALL women are emotionally detached little cheaters. :p

Paches

Just started in on the Diablo 3 RMAH talk and Garnett thinks the listing fee will be from $1-$5 dollars... Five dollars, really Garnett?

Going back to listening....

EDIT: Garnett is going bat shit INSANE, hahahaha oh man this is awesome.

Paches

Ok, finished the Diablo RMAH segment. My major issue with Garnett's position is that he acted as if people didn't buy items in Diablo 2, in fact, no one even brought up that front which was one of the reasons (aside from WoW farmers which they touched on) for this system in the first place. People were buyings Zods or perfect Black Hades etc..., they are trying to get a cut of that pie and de-nut the shady third party sites that you had to go to to get those things.

So I guess what I am saying is, this has already really been happening, it will just now happen with protections in place from Blizzard in an easier manner.

Personally, I am in the camp that I won't be purchasing anything, but I will be playing with my own little group of friends so I will be isolated from the random people buying tons of awesome gear so it really won't effect me or my enjoyment of the game.

Zzoram

Diablo 3 talk starts 8:30 and then 1:19:30

Ya, Garnett is arguing from a point of ignorance. People were buying/selling items on ebay and russian websites for years. Blizzard is just putting it within the game and making the whole process easier and safer than before.

Paches-EJ- said:
Just started in on the Diablo 3 RMAH talk and Garnett thinks the listing fee will be from $1-$5 dollars... Five dollars, really Garnett?

Going back to listening....

EDIT: Garnett is going bat shit INSANE, hahahaha oh man this is awesome.

Oh man, gonna have to listen to this one. I'd bet the listing fee is no more than a dollar, and probably more likely a quarter.

Love the thread subtitle for this.

Will report back later after listening!

Zzoram

Garnett is dumb, $5 listing fee? LOLOL

You get some number of free listings per week, only power sellers will ever pay a fee, and it won't be a huge fee. Power sellers are basically gold farmers, who play just to sell and make money, which is why they'll sell in volumes large enough to warrant listing fees to discourage them.

Casual players can use the free listing.

Also, Garnett is so wrong, people always had the option to buy the gear they wanted, this just makes it so Blizzard handles it instead of Russian websites or Ebay.

Zzoram

Why is Garnett so mad, people gold sell/buy in WoW, only it's all done illegally on Ebay. Why isn't he equally mad about that?

Buying items would exist regardless of whether or not Blizzard put the RMAH in Diablo 3, only this way it's safer for the people not having to deal with sketchy sites, and the commission that those sites would take is now going to Blizzard.

Garnett acts like it didn't exist before the RMAH.

Red UFO

Paches-EJ- said:
I almost burst out laughing when he started to get on his epic rant about profiteering.

Yeah, I had to turn it down, I felt pretty embarrassed listening to it.

:\

Paches

Zzoram said:
Why is Garnett so mad, people gold sell/buy in WoW, only it's all done illegally on Ebay. Why isn't he equally mad about that?

Buying items would exist regardless of whether or not Blizzard put the RMAH in Diablo 3, only this way it's safer for the people not having to deal with sketchy sites, and the commission that those sites would take is now going to Blizzard.

Another thing they mentioned that "Why would anyone ever use the gold auction house?". I would argue a healthy amount of people either won't want to go through the hassle of using the RMAH and setting up an account and sharing bank details with another company or wouldn't be old enough to do things like that.

Zzoram

Red UFO said:
Yeah, I had to turn it down, I felt pretty embarrassed listening to it.

:\

Thinking about what he said, it actually sounds like the problem is entirely with him. He won't be able to resist the temptation to buy stuff apparently, so it would ruin it for him. I wonder if he felt that way about WoW, despite it being so easy to buy gold in WoW.

I personally have never bought DLC despite buyings tons of games that sell DLC, so I know I have the self control to never buy from the RMAH. I do intend to sell in the RMAH though, I rather like the idea of making money from playing Diablo III.

The gold auction house will be used for all non-top of the line items. Nobody will want to pay cash for an item they'll use at level 25, that's retarded, and those items are not that hard to come by. People will only buy the highest end stuff.

Zzoram

Kevitivity said:
I like Garnett a lot, but he does chose to rage over some odd things once in while.

He says he'll play Torchlight 2 and won't have to worry about people getting gear they didn't earn. Little does he know, Torchlight 2 will be full of hackers if he chooses to play beyond his group of friends, just like how Diablo 3 might have people buying stuff beyond his group of friends. The hacking will be way worse too, because nobody earned anything. In Diablo 3, at least somebody had to earn that loot initially. As for economy breaking, hacking is the worst thing that can happen to an economy, and hacking always runs rampant in games that don't use a closed online server-side storage system.

Titan Quest online was all hackers or people who got tons of free top of the line stuff from hackers, boy was that ever broken. I imagine Torchlight 2 will be the same, given the lack of closed online.

Paches-EJ- said:
Another thing they mentioned that "Why would anyone ever use the gold auction house?". I would argue a healthy amount of people either won't want to go through the hassle of using the RMAH and setting up an account and sharing bank details with another company or wouldn't be old enough to do things like that.

With an exchange rate between gold an real money, you could sell expensive items on the gold AH and then sell the gold in a single transaction, making more money since you only have to deal with one transaction fee (assuming there wasn't a price differential between identical items on both AHs).

Maybe some people are easily tempted if they have extra cash lying around, but I don't see myself buying much with real money - maybe a couple dollars here or there for consumables, or $10 for that one item I need to complete a set or something. The fun in the game for me is the loot chase, so buying equipment is something I'd do sparingly if at all, but I appreciate the fact that the AH is there if I do want to use it.

I'll sell stuff for gold or real money and then buy things with the currency earned from that. As an individual player, you don't need to put real money into the system at all to use the real money AH, you just have to put in time to either earn gold to sell or find items to sell with your free weekly listings. It's all fluid.

I can see why people argue and are angry about the concept of putting in the real money AH, but I have yet to see a cogent argument on how it will personally affect them in a negative way. The PvP argument is easily dismissible since PvP is not intended to be seriously competitive - the focus of Diablo is that it's a cooperative game - and even if people do buy equipment and rise in ranks quickly, they'll end up facing people with equal gear that probably have more skill if they spent the time to farm it themselves. It's not something to worry about.

Added a couple. What we really need are some Spicer related ones.

Weekend Confirmed Drinking Game said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett:

* makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense (Neuromancer)
* fakes a horrible impression of a fictional figure or accent (Shadow780)
* laughs really long and hard at something.. like whenever someone says, "long and hard" (DangerStepp)
* repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice (Oni Jazar)
* makes a Canadian joke when Xav is on (LiK)
* says "crux" (DangerStepp)
* stumbles on a word, thus inventing his own word (IMACOMPUTA)
*mentions anything PixelJunk (DangerStepp)
*mentions Flower (DangerStepp)
*mentions drinking wine/scotch while playing a game the "other night" (DangerStepp)

Jeff:
* says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation (Neuromancer)
* says "onus" (DangerStepp)
* mentions Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption (DangerStepp)
* makes an obscure 80s hip hop reference and commences to sing the majority of the song while Garnett beatboxes (DangerStepp)
* uses "sublime" (DangerStepp)
* says "Gameflap" (DangerStepp)

Andrea:
* giggles (Neuromancer)

Xav:
* says the f-word (DangerStepp)
* makes his own Canadian jokes (Neuromancer)

The group:
* chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix (Neuromancer)
* mentions: "Torchlight" (DangerStepp)
* says "mechanics" (DangerStepp)
* special guest is annoying (DangerStepp)

Jeff Mattas:

*is a no show--take a stiff shot to make for easier listening (DangerStepp)

Feel free to add your own
I would just like to take a moment and say that the Official NeoGAF-Weekend Confirmed Drinking Game is for entertainment purposes only.

As always, please drink responsibly and never drink and drive.

Zzoram

CarbonatedFalcon said:
With an exchange rate between gold an real money, you could sell expensive items on the gold AH and then sell the gold in a single transaction, making more money since you only have to deal with one transaction fee (assuming there wasn't a price differential between identical items on both AHs).

Maybe some people are easily tempted if they have extra cash lying around, but I don't see myself buying much with real money - maybe a couple dollars here or there for consumables, or $10 for that one item I need to complete a set or something. The fun in the game for me is the loot chase, so buying equipment is something I'd do sparingly if at all, but I appreciate the fact that the AH is there if I do want to use it.

I'll sell stuff for gold or real money and then buy things with the currency earned from that. As an individual player, you don't need to put real money into the system at all to use the real money AH, you just have to put in time to either earn gold to sell or find items to sell with your free weekly listings. It's all fluid.

I can see why people argue and are angry about the concept of putting in the real money AH, but I have yet to see a cogent argument on how it will personally affect them in a negative way. The PvP argument is easily dismissible since PvP is not intended to be seriously competitive - the focus of Diablo is that it's a cooperative game - and even if people do buy equipment and rise in ranks quickly, they'll end up facing people with equal gear that probably have more skill if they spent the time to farm it themselves. It's not something to worry about.

I would never pay real money for consumables, it's like burning money. Use gold to buy your potions.

The fun in a loot whore game is hunting for loot, buying it is like paying someone to beat a game for you, not very fun. If people want to do it, then regret it, they can always sell or just delete their loot. I'm going to enjoy Diablo 3 more because once I've hunted down all the best stuff, I can just sell it for real money and start the hunt all over again. I get to repeat the best experience in the game, and profit from it too. So win.

My fellow Jeff lovers didn't put down tabs on him saying whimsy or whimsical? come one, that's his all-time favorite word. Whimsy was something I only ever heard on TRS. Now every other person on gaming podcasts uses it.

Zzoram said:
I would never pay real money for consumables, it's like burning money. Use gold to buy your potions.

The fun in a loot whore game is hunting for loot, buying it is like paying someone to beat a game for you, not very fun. If people want to do it, then regret it, they can always sell or just delete their loot. I'm going to enjoy Diablo 3 more because once I've hunted down all the best stuff, I can just sell it for real money and start the hunt all over again. I get to repeat the best experience in the game, and profit from it too. So win.

I was thinking about high-end consumables, not just your typical potion. Along the lines of Too Awesome to Use. But I agree with you, the fun is in getting the loot by yourself, with friends, or trading for it. Buying it ruins the fun. Again, the only time I'd buy something would be if I thought it was more fun (or I was compelled) to have a complete set of X armor or whatever, and only needed one more piece. The real money AH is there to use as a convenience, but you can ignore if you want.

Besides that, the only other reason I would (maybe) pay is if I ended up viewing the gear as a tool or means to an end to acquire something else that couldn't be bought - defeating specific bosses or earning titles that require a minimum level of gear not easily obtainable. When the gear is the end, you're just ruining the game for yourself if you buy it.

DangerStepp

Neuromancer said:
Added a couple. What we really need are some Spicer related ones.

I would just like to take a moment and say that the Official NeoGAF-Weekend Confirmed Drinking Game is for entertainment purposes only.

As always, please drink responsibly and never drink and drive.
Haha, nice!!

Yeah, especially after this episode. I'm going to be lucky if I don't pass out before the musical guest.

Top Bottom