• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode 65 | 6/17/2011

krae_man said:
The Sly 4 stuff actually has me dissappointed. I watched the video on the Playstation Blog and I noticed the two things I hated most about Sly 2 were there: multi hit health bar, and the dev said Murry and Bentley(and possibly more they don't want to disclose yet) are playable.

I wish they would have went back to the one hit your dead death mechanic and designed the levels based off that and playing as anyone other then Sly sucks, always will suck, and there's nothing they can do to make it not suck.

Clue bottles returning helps but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

IGN seemed to like it:

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is set to be released in 2012. It's early and I've only gotten a small taste of it, but I'm excited. The game felt familiar and new at the same time. It's the homecoming of one of the PlayStation's most underrated mascots, so let's hope Sanzaru does Sly right and gets the raccoon the recognition he deserves.

Link

Oni Jazar

Neuromancer said:
Take a drink every time:

Garnett makes a sexual innuendo that doesn't make sense
Jeff says something is 'phenomenal' with great enunciation
Andrea giggles
The group chuckles appreciatively after a Del Rio remix

Feel free to add your own
Drink every time Garnett repeats something someone else said with a dramatic deep voice. (You'll probably pass out) :)

Barrett2

Garnett's Andrew Dice Clay > Demitri Martin comparison. Yikes...

Jeff is spot on with his Brady Bunch movie analogy.

Paches

Haha, Garnett called it dead on when he said "Kinect marketing team". When everyone was talking about the gunsmith feature in Ghost Recon and how "cool" it was to customize your gun, can't you just do that easier and faster with a controller? It isn't like you are "putting a gun together with your hands".

I can't believe the people on this podcast are buying in to these shoehorned features.

Anyways, the journalism thing at the end. Jeff, if you are reading this, I think people are skeptical of review scores is because there are probably a lot more underground fiascoes going on behind closed doors where we can't seem them. Everyone knows about the Kane and Lynch stuff and now this, just imagine what we don't know.

I don't believe that money is actually exchanging hands for review scores, but there are definitely reviewers out there that are giving better scores because they need to maintain that access. This also isn't the only arena where access is battled for.

Hey Garnett, I saw Attack The Block at an advance screening. It was awesome! Very funny and cool and violent. If you liked the trailer, you'd definitely like the movie.

Small note though, I believe it was just produced by the same people who produced Shaun of the Dead, and only one of the dudes (Nick Frost) is in it and he's not exactly a main character.

Neuromancer said:
Hey Garnett, I saw Attack The Block at an advance screening. It was awesome! Very funny and cool and violent. If you liked the trailer, you'd definitely like the movie.

Small note though, I believe it was just produced by the same people who produced Shaun of the Dead, and only one of the dudes (Nick Frost) is in it and he's not exactly a main character.
Sad to see Joe (From Adam and Joe fame) get de-credited just cus' Frost was in the cast, I demand that Garnett watch the entire Wonky House skit.

SPEA

Dance In My Blood said:
Do they really say that? Because that's a really dumb thing to say.
Not a dumb thing to say at all. I've played all Zeldas and Darksiders and I would agree with that statement.

V_Ben

Banned
Heard Jeff describe Brotherhood's multiplayer as new and unique. If you want to see where that came from from Jeff, play The Ship, and look at Bloody Good Time (Both are on Steam, BGT is on XBLA, but the community for that version has likely vanished into the aether). BGT in particular was published by Ubisoft, who threw the developer under a bus so that the multiplayer mode in Brotherhood could appear so new an innovative. The Ship and BGT were both by the same folks, Outerlight... who have since gone under to the best of my knowledge.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/10/04/interview-we-chat-with-outerlights-co-founder-about-bloody-goo/

What was it like working with Ubisoft on the game?

Contractually, no comment.

For some time the official Outerlight web site as well as the official site for The Ship have been down. Has Outerlight been dissolved?

Outerlight has all but been dissolved. The team and the office are gone, all that remains is myself working unpaid in the hope to recoup some royalties from the game. It's been a pretty brutal period, losing the team being the hardest part, as they were the biggest asset for the company, and we shared a lot of good times together. At the moment, the life line for the company is ongoing Ship sales, which have meant we can keep trading until we hopefully see some BGT royalties.

With Bloody Good Time now officially announced, what is the current status and fate of Outerlight? Will the company be revived after the game is released?

The status of Outerlight is "critically endangered". Personally, I really hope the company will be revived. I know we made some mistakes, but I also know we got a lot right, we had a very happy, and very productive team, and we produced some innovative ideas, and I know I had a lot more good ideas, which I hope will see the light of day. I'd also say that while games development is challenging, it's also very rewarding. So, if there are any savvy investors out there, please get in touch!

Just figured you should know Jeff :) AC:B's multiplayer isn't unique, and Ubisoft essentially killed a small developer in order to make it seem that way. Sad stuff :/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Love Garnett for his DNF stance which was obviously based on reading a bit of forum posts so the others that played the game had to explain their position better.

This Kinect stuff is so infuriating. What value is being added to ME3 with the Kinect feature?
Everyone that bought a new 360 got a headset with it. And technically there is no reason the Kinect is needed for this functionality. Even the head of the XBOX devision said that in his Geoff interview.
PS3 version confirmed as long as they don't put a "better with EyeToy" sticker on it.

Nobody gave a shit (rightfully so) when some "Move exclusive" mini games were added to the Sly Collection, so why does every insignificant Kinect addition deserve praise? Still stoked from the Circ de Soleil thing rom last year? :-D

I just have to echo the other poster's sentiment with "Keep up the real talk". :p

Ulairi

Banned
bandresen said:
Love Garnett for his DNF stance which was obviously based on reading a bit of forum posts so the others that played the game had to explain their position better.

This Kinect stuff is so infuriating. What value is being added to ME3 with the Kinect feature?
Everyone that bought a new 360 got a headset with it. And technically there is no reason the Kinect is needed for this functionality. Even the head of the XBOX devision said that in his Geoff interview.
PS3 version confirmed as long as they don't put a "better with EyeToy" sticker on it.

Nobody gave a shit (rightfully so) when some "Move exclusive" mini games were added to the Sly Collection, so why does every insignificant Kinect addition deserve praise? Still stoked from the Circ de Soleil thing rom last year? :-D

I just have to echo the other poster's sentiment with "Keep up the real talk". :p

The value being added is that it's on the Xbox 360. duh!

bandresen said:

It's a value to those of us that have Kinect ... just like 3D version of the game for people with 3D TV. I am not sure why so much butt hurt with Kinect stuff. I am glad to get Auto Vista and head tracking in Forza and controller-free version of Child of Eden as added value.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
antiquegamer said:
It's a value to those of us that have Kinect ... just like 3D version of the game for people with 3D TV. I am not sure why so much butt hurt with Kinect stuff. I am glad to get Auto Vista and head tracking in Forza and controller-free version of Child of Eden as added value.
What exact value is being added in my specific example? That you can use a system you paid money for over a system that everyone got bundled for free?
That to me sounds like marketing.

And Child of Eden wasn't part of the discussion just as it wasn't for Garnett. It was specifically for the games that were called "Value added" by the podcast.

Mrbob

It is the added value of bringing a layer of disconnect with Mass Effect 3 when you talk out Shepard's thoughts and then he/she says something completely different. :p

bandresen said:

They already stated that this is an kinect exclusive feature.
http://m.kotaku.com/5810138/mass-effect-3s-new-voice-commands-are-xbox-360+only-and-heres-why

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Kinect integration for Forza is perfect and completely optional, even in the auto vista mode. If you are deep into the single player menu's and would like to go to the community/multiplayer features, why would you not say "Forza Community" to jump right to it.

BJK

lawblob said:
Garnett's Andrew Dice Clay > Demitri Martin comparison. Yikes...

Jeff is spot on with his Brady Bunch movie analogy.

Agreed on the first point, if only because it's overly reductive. Jerry Seinfeld's TV career took off at about the same time as "Dice" ... and well after that because Seinfeld was more actual humor than shock value. (Which isn't to say shock comedy went with him, as that's the stock in-trade for the Lisa Lampinelli's, Jim Norton's and Whitney Cummings of present day). To make Dice Clay the standard-bearer for an entire era of comedy - as what worked back then - not only ignores that insult / shock value comedy still works now (we just get tired of the personalities behind it), but also overstates the value of the designated standard-bearer.

As to the Brady Bunch film...never saw it. Still trying to figure out how Jeff walked right past the first Austin Powers movie, which is what I thought of while listening to him.

I think the show missed an opportunity talking about the PR / DNF story. As someone who isn't in the business of reviewing video games, the outsider's view of video games PR is that they exist to make a game look as good (purchase-worthy) as they can leading up to a game's launch window. A negative review works against that goal; a negative review that gets out early because the game's PR gave the reviewer a (free) review copy is money being spent by the publisher that works against the goal of the publisher to induce purchases of the game.
If the reviewer would buy a copy of that game anyway, and would still write the negative review....that review goes up later (since it - almost by definition - can't be put up until the game is purchased and played through during that launch window), minimizing the damage. At least that way the review generates one additional sale.
On the other hand, a game that doesn't get any reviews - even middling ones - does not track on sites like Metacritic, and the absence of attention draws concern. (The obvious comparison being when a movie studio doesn't show a film to critics before opening weekend; not exactly a sign of quality to a discerning consumer.)

What the guys (and Andrea) did talk about is the flip-side of the picture: being able to talk about the game's positives and negatives in a fair and honest manner. What the PR agent tweeted was a desire to limit exposure of (bad) games away from the people who would look to create the kind of pull quotes referenced on the podcast; the same people who generate attention through shock value (the game reviewer equivalent of Andrew Dice Clay). In other words, not giving a free ride to people who would not review the game like a professional.

You can give Modern Warfare 3 to everyone who asks for a review copy, and that game is still going to sell. PR doesn't matter as much for AAA titles. Duke isn't a AAA game, even if it could have been at one point. What the twitter post talked about isn't threatening to pull ad $$ if the coverage doesn't fit with their message, nor is it the ability to break an embargo if the review is sufficiently positive. So far as I can tell, they were only talking about minimizing potential negative reviews by keeping review builds away from reviewers they consider unprofessional. In other words, the PR company is talking about managing a game's public image....which is exactly what they're paid to do.

The podcast got close to talking along these lines, but never quite got there. From the outside, this looked like a good opportunity to peel back the curtain and talk about the process, and what PR can / should do. That's a conversation I'd still like to hear.

bandresen said:
What exact value is being added in my specific example? That you can use a system you paid money for over a system that everyone got bundled for free?
That to me sounds like marketing.

And Child of Eden wasn't part of the discussion just as it wasn't for Garnett. It was specifically for the games that were called "Value added" by the podcast.

It's nice not to have to wear headset for voice command *shrug*, that is what I use most for Kinect is to control Xbox netflix etc. Not that I think voice command is exciting for gaming but it's "value" added for those that might want it. Again, not sure why it's a big deal, it's not like you have to use it.

I bring up Child of Eden because it's also a "value" added yet Garnett doesn't seem to have problem with that. May be some people feel immersive to yell at their on screen avatar and issue command just as someone might feel it's awesome to using body gesture to direct fire in Child of Eden.

Keep going Garnett, F1 2011 needs more exposure and this is probably one of the few popular gaming podcasts where it's discussed.

Fuck the indifferent haters! :D

I'm hoping for some Alice: Madness Returns discussion next week. Especially with the divided opinions and general positive impressions on GAF in contrast to the general lackluster reviews.

eznark

Banned
Awesome that Garnett says "we'll skip the navel gazing" immediately before the weekly dose of righteously indignant "journalist" navel gazing.

I have to disagree with xav as well. Unless you have infinite patience, I don't see how load times (one ofnthe seemingly huge differences between PC and 360 dnf) doesn't affect the actual experience of playing the games. You can't just divorce the technical from the experience.

I don't understand why voice commands make something better with kinect. Is there something in that hardware that makes the voice stuff better? I loved End War on ps3, which relied mostly on voice commands. Stunningly ubisoft was able to do it without a $150 camera. How is is possible?!?

Barrett2

eznark said:
Awesome that Garnett says "we'll skip the navel gazing" immediately before the weekly dose of righteously indignant "journalist" navel gazing.

I have to disagree with xav as well. Unless you have infinite patience, I don't see how load times (one ofnthe seemingly huge differences between PC and 360 dnf) doesn't affect the actual experience of playing the games. You can't just divorce the technical from the experience.

I don't understand why voice commands make something better with kinect. Is there something in that hardware that makes the voice stuff better? I loved End War on ps3, which relied mostly on voice commands. Stunningly ubisoft was able to do it without a $150 camera. How is is possible?!?

How exactly is Mass Effect using Kinect? Does is have arm-waving gesture commands as well as voice?

eznark

Banned
lawblob said:
How exactly is Mass Effect using Kinect? Does is have arm-waving gesture commands as well as voice?

I think it's just voice...which has been in games for a long time and is certainly not revolutionary.

Doing the dialog trees with voice is especially jarring since they #1. still say the line in the game and #2. don't even say the exact same thing! Squad control might be neat, but there is no reason they couldn't do the exact same thing in the PC, PS3 (or Wii U) version.

Barrett2

eznark said:
I think it's just voice...which has been in games for a long time and is certainly not revolutionary.

Doing the dialog trees with voice is especially jarring since they #1. still say the line in the game and #2. don't even say the exact same thing! Squad control might be neat, but there is no reason they couldn't do the exact same thing in the PC, PS3 (or Wii U) version.
Wait, if it's just voice, what is the necessity of even using Kinect? Is the camera device itself interpreting the voice commands, or is the microphone in the Kinect just passing along your voice to the game / 360 which interprets what you say? If the latter, then....?

eznark

Banned
lawblob said:
Wait, if it's just voice, what is the necessity of even using Kinect? Is the camera device itself interpreting the voice commands, or is the microphone in the Kinect just passing along your voice to the game / 360 which interprets what you say? If the latter, then....?

I would assume it's the microphone in Kinect, but listening to these guys, voice commands are revolutionary and "Made Better By Kinect."

Goldmund

eznark said:
I would assume it's the microphone in Kinect, but listening to these guys, voice commands are revolutionary and "Made Better By Kinect."
Apart from Andrea they seemed pretty matter-of-fact about Kinect and how it enhances games.

eznark

Banned
Goldmund said:
Apart from Andrea they seemed pretty matter-of-fact about Kinect and how it enhances games.

I never heard them say that all the mass effect "better with kinect" bullet points could be done with a standard headset. I mean, I'm sure Microsoft won't allow them to implement the voice stuff that way (not gonna sell Kinects like that!) but nothing they've shown so far for Mass Effect should technically require Kinect. I think for some things it could be really cool (head tracking) but to be thrilled about voice control? Insanity.

Remember, just last fall Microsoft claimed they made significant improvements to the headset capabilities on the software side.

Goldmund

eznark said:
I never heard them say that all the mass effect "better with kinect" bullet points could be done with a standard headset. I mean, I'm sure Microsoft won't allow them to implement the voice stuff that way (not gonna sell Kinects like that!) but nothing they've shown so far for Mass Effect should technically require Kinect. I think for some things it could be really cool (head tracking) but to be thrilled about voice control? Insanity.

Remember, just last fall Microsoft claimed they made significant improvements to the headset capabilities on the software side.
Actually, Xav says exactly that. "Mass Effect is voice control, but you can voice control [sic] with a headset", ~28:42.

On another note, I'm looking forward to the day when we control characters by tilting our heads and shouting "Xbox, shoot enemy!"

Goldmund

Xater said:
Insanely bad is what it was.
It was by far the best break music they had. That's not saying much, of course. It wasn't microhouse and therefore interesting, but it wasn't jarring.

mbmonk

Paches-EJ- said:
Haha, Garnett called it dead on when he said "Kinect marketing team". When everyone was talking about the gunsmith feature in Ghost Recon and how "cool" it was to customize your gun, can't you just do that easier and faster with a controller? It isn't like you are "putting a gun together with your hands".

I can't believe the people on this podcast are buying in to these shoehorned features.

Yea. Andrea sort of weaved the two ( Kinect and Gunsmith ) together in her argument for Kinect. They really are two separate things. I can be excited about Gunsmith (customizing of guns), which her friends were, w/o being excited about the Kinetic integration. So it almost seems as if she tries to infer that her friends being excited for feature "X" also equates in excitement for feature "Y". Which I don't believe is the case, but of course it's her friends and she would know better than me. But I am just pointing out that I don't feel as if she supported her argument well.

I think Garnett called it out perfectly on the "value add" argument as well. Bottom line is out of the full experience of using Gunsmith ( or ME3 for that matter) what percentage of their total time playing, out of 100% do you think people will use the Kinect interface when it's available instead of the controller? My guess, at first they will use the Kinect interface just to try it then they will never touch it again for Gunsmith. So out of the total time in Gunsmith (100%), I would guess Kinect use for that feature will be roughly 5% or less. Especially if you have to use a controller to navigate from the main menu to the Gunsmith, and then use the controller again to exit Gunsmith and navigate the menus to the start/continue the actuall game. Who is really going to pickup the controller to navigate to Gunsmith, set the controller down, customize the gun using Kinect, and then pick the controller back up? Especially when it will probably be faster and more efficient to use the controller to navigate inside Gunsmith ( this is an assumption on my part).

Also, lets see if Jeff and the rest of the Kinect crew end up using the Kinect voice features all the way through their entire play through of ME3. Let's put our money where our mouth is :p.

I think the best argument for these shoehorned features is the fact that helps the dev dip their toes in the water and start to get a feel for what the devices real life abilities, limitations, and quirks are. And that will assist them in building more meaningful Kinect experiences. But even that argument is a bit soft and vague overall. Especially when put in contrast with the supposed "experience" that Child of Eden is supposed to be.

I think others have mentioned head tracking for Kinect, and that is a great use of the tech. I hope they incorporate it into FPS's ( similar to ARMA 1 and 2 on the PC ) as well as racers. I am hoping that PC devs will start support Kinect for their releases and help take a bit of the piss out of TrackIR.

I have a couple of issues with the arguments people made on games journalism as well but I will save those for another post.

EDIT: I just wanted to add I really enjoy the show and appreciate the time and effort you all put into it.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Whoever it was that said "God of War does it well" when the topic of QTEs come up, my answer to you, sir, is a resounding NO, God of War is the absolute WORST with QTEs.

Good QTEs: on-screen cutscene button prompt matches actions that you would press if this were a gameplay segment (i.e. Character needs to dodge, you press the dodge button mid-cutscene).

Bad QTEs: Random as fuck SHIT. Every time you die/fail. Random. Cherry on top is boss health regeneration.

eznark

Banned
Goldmund said:
Actually, Xav says exactly that. "Mass Effect is voice control, but you can voice control [sic] with a headset", ~28:42.

On another note, I'm looking forward to the day when we control characters by tilting our heads and shouting "Xbox, shoot enemy!"

I must have missed that. I don't see how Kinect functionality is then a "value add" to Mass Effect, since every person who buys an xbox has a microphone that can do what Kinect is doing for the game.

Don't listen to this guy Garnett, I thought the break music was great.

Isn't it like the fifth time they played that song?

I have a couple of issues with the arguments people made on games journalism as well but I will save those for another post.

Xav was especially idiotic in this segment. "You are only worried about corruption if you yourself are corruptible!"

Ya, pretty much. And many industry outlets acknowledge this fact. Shoe supposedly never let reviewers go to publisher paid junkets, some outlets refused to review MGS:4 in the Konami concentration camp atmosphere, and some outlets even buy their own games.

Publishers don't fly journalists to exotic press events to be cool guys and hang with their "journalist" bros. They do it because it helps curry favor which helps blunt criticism. But apparently not Xav because nothing can influence him, that high horse is unreachable!

I'm disappointed Game Republic wasn't mentioned in news. How sad is it that the news Game Republic is dead comes out during E3, the same time everyone is complaining about too many generic shooters.

This is what I think people are complaining about with the whole PR / Journalist link. If a game or story doesn't have a big PR push or an interesting hook (he tweeted about us!) no one cares. Sure Garnett will play F1 and Vinny is down some rabbit hole this week but 90% of the time you all are playing the same games AND saying the same things. It rarely feels like people are making an effort to actually seek out a game that isn't being feed to them.

If something happens at Infinity Ward you'll crawl over yourselves to report it but a developer who never flew you anywhere and released those solid "B" tier games you complain we are losing but never actually care enough to play... ehh who cares that guy tweeted AND it gives a launching pad to talk about ourselves...

Poor Game Republic never stood a chance :(

I'll always love you Majin <3 Was this the podcast who said they wanted Zelda to be a genre... well Game Republic thanks you for ignoing them (not darksiders level clone/homage but Majin feels pretty Zelda-ish to me, I'm still early though)

mbmonk

eznark said:
Xav was especially idiotic in this segment. "You are only worried about corruption if you yourself are corruptible!"

Ya, pretty much. And many industry outlets acknowledge this fact. Shoe supposedly never let reviewers go to publisher paid junkets, some outlets refused to review MGS:4 in the Konami concentration camp atmosphere, and some outlets even buy their own games.

Publishers don't fly journalists to exotic press events to be cool guys and hang with their "journalist" bros. They do it because it helps curry favor which helps blunt criticism. But apparently not Xav because nothing can influence him, that high horse is unreachable!

Yea that was one of the weirder arguments made on the podcast. I didn't 100% follow it because I was driving 70 mph with the windows down. So I think I heard about 90% of this argument, but I need to go back and listen to be sure I got the entire jest of it, but needless to say, as you point out, it's pretty laughable on it's face. I think he, being Xav, made a number of pretty questionable arguments.

The relationship between publishers and reviewers are pretty suspect as you clearly pointed out.

I was also very intrigued by Jeff's comment that it was in essence okay that PS magazine has a biased towards PS games. I don't want to "Strawman" Jeff (if he wants to elaborate or clarify his argument please do), but I hardly see how it's okay that the magazine's integrity has been compromised simply because everyone knows it. I think this sets a bad precedence and ends up with a Brer Rabbit Tar Baby scenario if you start excusing it.

Integrity matters from a long term business perspective, and that is one of the many reasons why I don't read reviews anymore. I am pretty much a GAF OT reader when I am trying to make a purchasing decision. Because I feel like a get a truer consumer prospective from multiple people/sources all in a single location after launch day here on GAF. So reviews have really fallen off the radar for me.

eznark said:

I 100% agree with this as well. Another questionable argument by Xav.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My 5 points

1) Torchlight II is gonna be awesome. I wonder what the crew thinks about the game slipping closer and closer to Diablo III though.

2) Ditto that Forza 4 is the closest graphics wise to what we've all wanted. It's still not perfect, bit it definitely is better on the always talked about weird color pallet issue for the backgrounds.

3) Andrea doesn't bother me at all, but she seems to talk little, tends to be vague, and likes to hit on broad points. I fail to see how she brings something different or new to the podcast.

4) They definitely got heated on the pr thing. I feel them on that thought because it's a hot button issue, and it's something that greatly effects them both directly or indirectly as perception gets heaped on to all. It also doesn't hell that there are a lot of roads to go down with this issue which makes it hard to tackle in a short time frame. Garnett kept saying this too as they'd get away from the core news story. I think that's just because the PR thing brought up a large scope issue.

5) To the poster above about hardware, I'm semi there. I'm still excited about general game talk especially for games we don't get THAT often like say Sly. Talking a ton about say ME3 which is gonna be awesome or MW3 is something I'm sort of over though. Mainly because I've played those series so much recently on the current consoles. I just want to play the game.

I always wish we got more downloadable and handheld talk. Specifically now though to an extent the 3ds, Vita, and Wii U do excite me even if the established platforms still have great releases. A large part of that is the fact that I got in so early on the last hardware cycle most of it is all 4+ years old to me. I love to hear about feelings on the new experiences for the newer(ish) platforms. Also the reason I'd like more downloadable talk as that tends to be filled with newer experiences.

denomes

Dance In My Blood said:
Do they really say that? Because that's a really dumb thing to say.

Gerstmann said basically the same thing on one of the E3 Bombcasts.
I kind of feel the same and hope that SS will prove me wrong.

eznark

Banned
denomes said:

I'd rather play Darksiders 2 than Skyward Sword, but I'd rather play the Zelda tech demo for Wii U than either of them.

Xater

denomes said:
I kind of feel the same and hope that SS will prove me wrong.

And it's not even controversial. Darksiders was the best Zelda game in years.

Top Bottom