• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen UP: 04/03/09 - GDC Wrap Up

colinp

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
EXXY. INTERACTIVITY. PART OF THE EXPERIENCE. *deep inhalation* INTERACTIVITY. FEELINGS. ICO. THINK ABOUT IT. CONTROLS THE EXPERIENCE. INTERACTIVITY. CHOICES.

You guys must be the most tolerant audience ever. If you're going into a hackneyed argument like, say, whether God is knowable, and the person keeps yelling, "But why is there SOMETHING...instead of NOTHING?" over and over again, and if he constantly changes the subject every time you push back, you'd stop debating.

srsly

GhaleonQ said:
EXXY. INTERACTIVITY. PART OF THE EXPERIENCE. *deep inhalation* INTERACTIVITY. FEELINGS. ICO. THINK ABOUT IT. CONTROLS THE EXPERIENCE. INTERACTIVITY. CHOICES.

You guys must be the most tolerant audience ever. If you're going into a hackneyed argument like, say, whether God is knowable, and the person keeps yelling, "But why is there SOMETHING...instead of NOTHING?" over and over again, and if he constantly changes the subject every time you push back, you'd stop debating.

I don't how the others feel about the segment, and I would agree that the guy wasn't really in a condition to make the point he wanted to make, but I think it could have been handled better. To be fair, there were times there that Robert tried to ease it down or outright change the subject and the guy wouldn't take to it. Even when the bonerz talk came up, the guy didn't really get a hint about what was going on. Still, it could have been handled better.

colinp

Banned
Linkzg said:
I don't how the others feel about the segment, and I would agree that the guy wasn't really in a condition to make the point he wanted to make, but I think it could have been handled better. To be fair, there were times there that Robert tried to ease it down or outright change the subject and the guy wouldn't take to it. Even when the bonerz talk came up, the guy didn't really get a hint about what was going on. Still, it could have been handled better.

I agree with you and was being a smart ass saying 'srsly'.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonQ said:

Having gone to Catholic school and having had that argument in its many forms a million times, yes, I'd agree, you stop debating after you've clearly delineated why the other person is wrong. If they continue to say the same thing, then that's that. On the flipside of that coin, if I were to laugh loudly and contagiously after every word the person said and shout random garbage (such as "bonerz," but perhaps "carapace" or even "Puccini"), I would hope people would (rightly) consider me a douche.

And, of course, I understand the dude was wasted, and I'm not even talking about the argument he was putting forth on the one particular question you're referencing. Just the whole, "LOL 50 CENT LOL KUROSAWA!!!" crap. That wasn't entertaining.

He probably would have passed out after he made his stupid two sentence point anyway.

GhaleonQ

Y2Kev said:
Having gone to Catholic school and having had that argument in its many forms a million times, yes, I'd agree, you stop debating after you've clearly delineated why the other person is wrong. If they continue to say the same thing, then that's that. On the flipside of that coin, if I were to laugh loudly and contagiously after every word the person said and shout random garbage (such as "bonerz," but perhaps "carapace" or even "Puccini"), I would hope people would (rightly) consider me a douche.

And, of course, I understand the dude was wasted, and I'm not even talking about the argument he was putting forth on the one particular question you're referencing. Just the whole, "LOL 50 CENT LOL KUROSAWA!!!" crap. That wasn't entertaining.

He probably would have passed out after he made his stupid two sentence point anyway.

So, then Patrick asked why he played games before they tried to draw emotion from agency. Scottish guy said that we play them because they have the potential to make us do that (1. stupid 2. He's contradicted himself.). Patrick pushed back and asked him to answer the question. Scottish guy ignored him and changed his answer to, "escapism" (He's contradicted himself.) Robert said that some video games are traditional games (Peggle). Scottish guy said that the mechanics can help us understand life (1. nonsense 2. He's contradicted himself.). Then, he turns "why we play games" into a plea to designers for meaningful gameplay mechanics. Robert says they're off base. Scottish guy crows about independent games (Remember, we're talking about "Why we play games.").

They gave him 7 minutes. First, read that and tell me if he's made any argument (much less one worth discussing). Second, did it make any sense to you?

Then, they go a little off-the-rails, but then give him ANOTHER chance after he rants about how games ARE THE SUPREME MODE OF HUMAN EXPRESSION. Robert and Patrick point out that he's done nothing to prove their merit as of March, 2009. It wasn't Patrick and Robert who brought up Bad Boys 2, mind you. It was them who intelligently discussed the actual topic around 56:00. In 2 minutes, Patrick accurately summarize the emotional part of games and Robert argued what I think, which is that games can be sports (fighting/shoot-'em-ups/sports), puzzles (puzzle/graphic adventure), traditional games (most of them), simulations (sims/life games), or narrative experiences designed to evoke emotion in traditional ways. 2 minutes. Scottish guy completely gets Robert's point wrong and Robert mocks him. Podcast segment over.

Linkzg said:
To be fair, there were times there that Robert tried to ease it down or outright change the subject and the guy wouldn't take to it. Even when the bonerz talk came up, the guy didn't really get a hint about what was going on. Still, it could have been handled better.

Like...ignoring him and repeating the arguments we've heard 100 times before in 2 minutes? They did that.

colinp

Banned
Can we at least call "scottish guy" by his name? Matthew Kumar.

You're welcome! He does an amusing segment on OLL these days too (Best Worst Game Ever, if I remember correctly).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I already said I'm not concerned with the substance of his argument on this particular point. If the host thought he was behaving in an objectionable fashion, he should have been removed quickly and that would be that. That's why I think you're seeing the negative reactions to what happened.

I mean, as you wrote before, you'd stop debating someone. But, from the perspective of more than one or two people, it just sounded like a flogging. Which granted some people deserve. Maybe not for entertainment's sake.

GhaleonQ

colinp said:
He does an amusing segment on OLL these days too (Best Worst Game Ever, if I remember correctly).

Which I enjoy! He has good taste, too.

Y2Kev said:
If the host thought he was behaving in an objectionable fashion, he should have been removed quickly and that would be that. That's why I think you're seeing the negative reactions to what happened.

The meltdown was for 7 minutes of a 20-minute segment (in a HUGE overall session). Perhaps people should stop treating Kumar like a child who needs a chaperone to prevent him from wetting himself. Verbally wetting himself, you see. METAPHORS. THINK ABOUT IT. RATHER.

Y2Kev said:
But, from the perspective of more than one or two people, it just sounded like a flogging. Which granted some people deserve. Maybe not for entertainment's sake.

Sorry, this was like podcast slapstick. Hearing someone's slurred voice yelling, "INDEPENDENT GAMES!" en route to meltdown is W.C. Fields-level stuff. Mocking drunk people is why alcohol exists. When even drunk people are mocking your logical and (at times) syntactic incoherence, your first reaction should be to laugh, not to break out the sackcloth and ashes.

Flavius

Yeah, no offense, but the debate here as to how he was treated is about as lame as the segment itself. Like I said, it's pretty easy to see both sides if you (1) detach yourself a bit, and (2) have been around drunk people before acting serious and spouting nonsense. Listening to him spout the same, inane rubbish was not an enjoyable experience for me. And I'm doubting that, but for the fact that the record button was pressed, any of the other guys would have even bothered to debate someone quite obviously 3/4 of the way down on his trip underneath the table.

Y2Kev nailed it: Garnett should have either yanked the guy much sooner, or not released this segment at all.

EDIT: Sorry, this was like podcast slapstick. Hearing someone's slurred voice yelling, "INDEPENDENT GAMES!" en route to meltdown is W.C. Fields-level stuff. Mocking drunk people is why alcohol exists. When even drunk people are mocking your logical and (at times) syntactic incoherence, your first reaction should be to laugh, not to break out the sackcloth and ashes.

I enjoy your posts here on the forums, but jesus, you sound like such a fucking wallflower. How in the hell is listening to other people ridicule other drunk people, in any way, enjoyable? I want to be the motherfucker ridiculing the drunk guy! Shit, I might even want to the be the drunk guy getting ridiculed! But listening to it?

No thanks.

GhaleonQ said:
The meltdown was for 7 minutes of a 20-minute segment (in a HUGE overall session). Perhaps people should stop treating Kumar like a child who needs a chaperone to prevent him from wetting himself. Verbally wetting himself, you see. METAPHORS. THINK ABOUT IT. RATHER.

You act as if the guy was completely sober and acting the way he was.

Like...ignoring him and repeating the arguments we've heard 100 times before in 2 minutes? They did that.

No, but Y2kev seems to understand.

LCfiner

Y2Kev said:
Define recent.

Well, for me, around 10-12 years is kinda "recent". I'm 30.

not to say that RPGs weren't trying for epic experiences before then but it seems that people only responded en masse to big epic story driven games around the time 3D became common.

and, to put it plainly, more often than not, games have failed to really provide epic emotional connections via storytelling because of immature writing, characters and tech limitations.

edit:

I remember mentioning a while back that 1up yours/ listen up is better when the people on mic are not completely wasted. buzzed, not blasted.

And while I got a few laughs from the 2nd half of last night's show, I still think it would have been better if the guests (all of them, inc. exxy and ashley) had been less wasted.

I really hope these podcasts do away with these drunken shenanigan episodes. it's just too ridiculous.

GhaleonQ

Guys, bad news. This is going to be really tough to watch. I know that you all don't like being bystanders when self-serious, oblivious, and hapless people get shot down. Buffoonery is no laughing matter, after all.

http://tinyurl.com/c4oa4r

Tragic. Why didn't someone try to stop him from entering the building?! I'm out of here.

Mar

Y2Kev said:
I already said I'm not concerned with the substance of his argument on this particular point. If the host thought he was behaving in an objectionable fashion, he should have been removed quickly and that would be that. That's why I think you're seeing the negative reactions to what happened.

I mean, as you wrote before, you'd stop debating someone. But, from the perspective of more than one or two people, it just sounded like a flogging. Which granted some people deserve. Maybe not for entertainment's sake.

Exactly.

I couldn't care less about the actual argument at hand. What infuriated me was the irony of it all. Like I have said previously. Kicking a dude off the podcast after laughing and mocking him, not allowing him to get a full sentence out. Then straight after talking about how awesome everyone is and how awesome the show is because they listen to everyone and share ideas. That was just pure shit.

Then also with his attempted points that games can give you strong emotional reactions. Laughed at and mocked once more. Then a few minutes after Klepek talking about how he felt bad for running people over in GTA and how strongly he felt about that.

I'm of the solid belief this segment should have stayed on the cutting room floor. The world would have been a better place for not hearing it.

john tv

Argh. Dunno what the hell that dude was trying to say in the second part. Protip: don't drink and podcast!

Still listening tho, haven't seen how this ends. :)

Calcaneus

Jesus, people need to stop taking podcasts so seriously. Its not a big deal that the guy was wasted on the podcast. Its not a big deal that they mocked him for being wasted on the podcast. The show will be back next week, hopefully we can put this terrible and unsettling experience behind us till then guys.

john tv

Calcaneus said:
Jesus, people need to stop taking podcasts so seriously. Its not a big deal that the guy was wasted on the podcast. Its not a big deal that they mocked him for being wasted on the podcast. The show will be back next week, hopefully we can put this terrible and unsettling experience behind us till then guys.
Speak for yourself dude. My time is valuable to me, and if I download a podcast with expectations of a certain level of quality, I don't like having those expectations betrayed.

Admittedly things calmed down a lot once they switched mics (I wasn't that far when I posted), but still. I don't buy the "it's just a podcast" argument.

SickBoy

Doesn't sound like the second segment gets any better :/ I'll still finish it, but I find it weird that these specials were such a revelation (seriously, even though they've frequently been off-topic, they've been great to listen to) and then this segment is somehow worse (so far) than the previous clusterfuck-in-a-room shows.

Doesn't help that everyone sounds incredibly drunk. I agree that it sounds like more "drunk ribbing" than malice, but nothing so far is particularly amusing, although I'm sure it was hilarious if you were there and loaded :)

No one in here ever gotten drunk with a Scottish person before?

The problem was that he wasn't answering the question being asked, in a direct way. He was trying to formulate a complex and interesting answer, but he was doing it in such a round-a-bout way that the rest of the crew wasn't following him. Every time they interrupted him he had to start his point from the beginning because he was too smashed to remember where he was.

Perfectly reasonable drunk behaviour from everybody in my opinion. Whether it should have been broadcast or not is debatable, but I enjoyed it, so I'm glad they did.

daycru said:
Have some of you guys NEVER been out drinking with friends? You yell and bust on each other. It's not being disrespectful or mocking, you're just giving the other dude (usually the guy who's the most drunk) a hard time.
What this guy says

Flavius

john tv said:
Speak for yourself dude. My time is valuable to me, and if I download a podcast with expectations of a certain level of quality, I don't like having those expectations betrayed.

Admittedly things calmed down a lot once they switched mics (I wasn't that far when I posted), but still. I don't buy the "it's just a podcast" argument.

Can we get this reply stickied so that we can point peeps to it every time they resort to the illogical "it's free!" or "stop taking it so seriously!" nonsense?

EDIT: And just so I'm not completely negative ned here...

DevelopmentArrested said:
first segment was great though. victor lucas was a good guest.

100% agreed. Great first segment. Too bad Victor's not closer. He makes for an excellent guest on the show.

Calcaneus

Flavius said:
Can we get this reply stickied so that we can point peeps to it every time they resort to the illogical "it's free!" or "stop taking it so seriously!" nonsense?
Maybe its because I was doing other things while listening to the podcast, but I honestly didn't find anything there that would cause me to get so sour over. But whatever, everyone has the right to be offended if they want.

But don't pull the "my time is important to me and I don't want it to be wasted", you had at least 30 posts talking about how shitty this episode was. You listened out of curiosity to see the train wreck, so you wasted your own time.

Flakster99

Flavius said:
100% agreed. Great first segment. Too bad Victor's not closer. He makes for an excellent guest on the show.

Yup, best part of the podcast. The irony that Mar_ explained isn't new for this group, as I have been getting small doses of said irony in recent weeks/months, it has simply been exacerbated in this episode.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Matthew Kumar deserves to be a 1up yours staple.

i don't normally say or think stuff like this, but i would gladly unsubscribe if this guy were a regular.

Darkpen

Banned
Listening to the entire segment with the scottish guy was like watching a train wreck, except in slow motion, and by the time it ends, it just took too long to really enjoy the conclusion.

Robert Ashley was a joy to listen to, though.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Dante said:
WTF...I thought that Kumar guy was hilarious :lol

Agreed, I loved the show, gave me a few laughs on my way home from work today, Kumer was just drunk, I felt maybe they played on him a little more than they should of done becuase of the condition he was in but hey it was still funny.

Shearie

What the fuck is wrong with you sensitive fucks? The second segment was goddamn hilarious. I'm sure the scottish guy wasn't mentally scared from his ListenUp experience. Can't you guys just view this shit as entertainment instead of always wanting the utmost highest intellectual discussion of video games ever of all time forever?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shearie said:
What the fuck is wrong with you sensitive fucks? The second segment was goddamn hilarious. I'm sure the scottish guy wasn't mentally scared from his ListenUp experience. Can't you guys just view this shit as entertainment instead of always wanting the utmost highest intellectual discussion of video games ever of all time forever?
whoosh

Puck

Banned
This episode was awesome. What the fuck is wrong with you people who find it offensive or stupid. Leave the house much?

They gave us 3 free GDC podcasts and you bitch that you don't like one?

"I have it [Bad Boys 2] ready to press play when i wake up"

:lol

Rahk

The fact that the scottish guy was taking himself so seriously to the point where he was annoyed by a few small jokes was hilarious to me. He could have just as easily had a laugh with the others and then gotten back on point like everyone else does, but he didn't, which probably caused the others to take the piss even more. Well, that, as well as the fact that his points were often off topic or incoherent.

"Shut up about boners. I want to talk about feelings!" I was waiting for a bus and lost my shit laughing at that point.

And again when Bad Boys II came up.

Seriously, comedy gold.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yeah I thought it was incredible too, the first classic ListenUP segment.

THINK ABOUT ET

I WANT YOU TO THINK

ABOUT ET

causan

Thought it was a interesting podcast. Definitely did not expect everyone to be so drunk.
And how can you guys take anyone seriously who refers to Bad Boys II when trying to make a point about "why we play games"?

LiK

just started listening, looking forward to the second half (judging from the comments here) :lol

LiK

oh man, that Kumar guy is cracking me up. :lol he was seriously trying to come up with a good point but alas, alcohol is beating him down.

I really wish they would change the name back to 1up yours, everytime Garnett introduces us to Listen Up you can almost hear the tears welling up in his eyes, he struggles to get it out.

LiK

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I really wish they would change the name back to 1up yours, everytime Garnett introduces us to Listen Up you can almost hear the tears welling up in his eyes, he struggles to get it out.

yea, 1Up Yours name > ListenUp. i agree with you 100% Garnett!

Holy... the Scottish guy trying to be serious with everyone else joking was gold :lol ... sounded like he was pulling his hair out.

Top Bottom