• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen UP: 04/03/09 - GDC Wrap Up

LCfiner

NeoGAFFer said:
Why isn't this up yet in iTunes?

edit: HAHAHA, a drunk guy and Robert Ashly in one podcast, Fucking GOLD :lol

it is up on iTunes. it was up there last night for me.

try resubscribing to the feed.

Dot50Cal

Banned
He was drunk, and at times funny. But the constant harassing by the other hosts was just very annoying and at times uncomfortable to listen to. I almost shut it off it got that bad. He kept trying to address Patrick's point about games making you feel stuff before GTA4, but kept getting interrupted with BONERZ and stupid shit like that. It was really hard to listen to.

Garnet really needed to shut it down before it got that far and move onto something that was interesting to listen to. As it stands, this probably was the worst Yours/Listen Up I've listened to. Maybe thats cause everyone was "loosey-goosey" but you guys should have realized that the shit was bad in the cutting room before publishing it.

Mar_ said:
What the fuck.

The irony of laughing at, interrupting, refusing to acknowledge any points what so ever, and then KICKING A GUY OFF THE PODCAST. Then straight after talking about how awesome everyone is because they listen to everyone and share points. Was a fucking travesty and this is the single worst podcast I've heard. Let alone 1up Yours which I've listened to since the beginning.

Did this guy who was mocked endlessly have reason for receiving the ridicule? Did he kick someone in the balls before he came on? What the hell happened here?

Are you serious? Did you hear the part where he started arguing with someone and the basis for his argument was actually the exact opposite of what the person actually said that he was arguing with? There is no irony because the guy was drunk and not making any sense. Just because they talked about the love at PAX that doesn't mean it's necessary to allow drunk people to scream into a mic for 10 minutes and let them say whatever they want.

It's embarrassing that they let him get onto the mic at all.

GDC Podcasts were a bit of a let down on the whole this year. Idle Thumbs were pretty good, but nothing came anywhere close to GFW's legendary run with Spector and Levine last year.

Mar

PhlivoSong said:
Are you serious? Did you hear the part where he started arguing with someone and the basis for his argument was actually the exact opposite of what the person actually said that he was arguing with?

Yeah I heard that just fine. And really, I think you could forgive the guy for not hearing someone's point when all of his own points were shot down with laughter and ridicule.

PhlivoSong said:
Are you serious? Did you hear the part where he started arguing with someone and the basis for his argument was actually the exact opposite of what the person actually said that he was arguing with? There is no irony because the guy was drunk and not making any sense. Just because they talked about the love at PAX that doesn't mean it's necessary to allow drunk people to scream into a mic for 10 minutes and let them say whatever they want.

It's embarrassing that they let him get onto the mic at all.
It seems this one misunderstanding is what everyone is basing their opinion of. It happens. It's really not that shocking; he was on the defensive the entire time, standing up for what he loved and did for a living, and Robert Ashley's opinion towards the variety of games, despite having the same tone, was completely disengenous with the terribly dismissive, and condescending attitude towards games he held for the previous twenty minutes. Edge guy misses a word, but RA is still talking in the same manner, wham, misunderstanding.

Personally, as for the topic itself I really couldn't agree with the sentiment that videogames are currently more varied than film at all (not to say they can't be). If you're allowed to expand videogames into the realms of software, then surely documentaries, educational films, cartoons, advertisements etc etc could all be placed within the 'film' category. Most games would fall under the "BONERZ!!" genre of the action movie, are aimed at the late teen early twenty demographic, and aren't able to capably express many feelings beyond frustration or excitement.

::Ed - It was good when he left anyway, as everyone calmed the fuck down without someone to gang up on, even if Patrick and Robert were still fairly giddy.

Mar

Polmacaoidh said:
Personally, as for the topic itself I really couldn't agree with the sentiment that videogames are currently more varied than film at all

I agree entirely. I didn't personally empathize with the dudes points (I keep calling him 'dude' because I can't recall his name). But the fact is, you don't treat someone like that. You don't publicly ridicule someone.

I can understand if the dude was an asshole. If no one at that table liked him at all and he'd previously said something that made everyone angry. But if that was the case, the editors of the podcast should have included some context so the listeners could understand why he was being blasted from beginning to end.

I've never felt this strongly about a piece of media ever. And I know it's part of the charm of 1up Yours. As I mentioned earlier I've listened since the very beginning and have felt my fair share of anger and happiness toward conversations. But nothing like this. This literally ruined a good few hours of my day. A day where I dedicate a number of hours to sitting outside with my dog and a few beers and attempt to relax after a working week. I can honestly say if any 1up Yours makes me feel like this again I'll unsubscribe and stop listening. Because I really don't need the frustration and anger on a day I'm meant to be relaxing.

Flavius

Polmacaoidh said:
Personally, as for the topic itself I really couldn't agree with the sentiment that videogames are currently more varied than film at all (not to say they can't be).

Sweet, fat Buddha! Who made that comparison?

Guess I'll break my own rule and listen to this one before my Monday commute. Sounds...interesting.

Mar_ said:
I didn't personally empathize with the dudes points (I keep calling him 'dude' because I can't recall his name.
Agreed, though in that instance I feel he was wrongly (because it was the opposite of what RA was saying) reacting to the comparison between Noby Noby Boy and 50 cent (or whichever the second was) and the (wrongly interpreted) implication that they were, like all games, similar (he had become quite defensive by that stage). His other opinions seemed interesting (the first of which being the compulsion of games being the connection of the player, and the game that he is actively interacting with, ie: seeing your interactions manifest), but I have no clue, as clearly no one actually wanted a thought out, longer than an off-the-cuff quip, more than surface deep response. Why do you play games man, what's the point?

Mar_ said:
But the fact is, you don't treat someone like that. You don't publicly ridicule someone.

I can understand if the dude was an asshole. If no one at that table liked him at all and he'd previously said something that made everyone angry. But if that was the case, the editors of the podcast should have included some context so the listeners could understand why he was being blasted from beginning to end.

I've never felt this strongly about a piece of media ever. And I know it's part of the charm of 1up Yours. As I mentioned earlier I've listened since the very beginning and have felt my fair share of anger and happiness toward conversations. But nothing like this. This literally ruined a good few hours of my day. A day where I dedicate a number of hours to sitting outside with my dog and a few beers and attempt to relax after a working week. I can honestly say if any 1up Yours makes me feel like this again I'll unsubscribe and stop listening. Because I really don't need the frustration and anger on a day I'm meant to be relaxing.
Yea. It can be really frustrating listening to a podcast and having no input at all, but listening to someone be almost abused takes it to another level. Stuff like this doesn't really happen often though, I guess it was just late and everyone was more than a bit drunk. It seems the longer a podcast runs with the same close people and less structure, the more fratboy-ish they become, see Giant Bomb. Really turns me off (although others, including most of Gaf, seem to enjoy it).

Flavius

Ah, listening now...

Why the fuck did they hop in the Mystery Machine and hand the keys to the drunk Shaggy again?

I see why peeps' reactions here are all over the place.

daycru

Have some of you guys NEVER been out drinking with friends? You yell and bust on each other. It's not being disrespectful or mocking, you're just giving the other dude (usually the guy who's the most drunk) a hard time.

Flavius

daycru said:
Have some of you guys NEVER been out drinking with friends? You yell and bust on each other. It's not being disrespectful or mocking, you're just giving the other dude (usually the guy who's the most drunk) a hard time.

Fun to experience? Can be.

Fun to listen to? Not so much.

daycru

Flavius said:
Fun to experience? Can be.

Fun to listen to? Not so much.
I was responding more to the people saying they were "harassing" the guy.

At points the show was pretty grating but ultimately made me laugh far more than I was annoyed.

Nizz

The first segment was really cool. Sterling's pretty good. Victor Lucas was also great, I enjoyed him on Electric Playground when I had G4. When they started talking about their age, when he said he's 41, I was like woah! I don't feel that bad anymore. ;) Then I got to the second segment...

My god, I feel kinda bad for the Scottish dude! What a contrast to the first segment. So they cut out some other part and this went up instead? I'll admit I chuckled, but then I really felt bad for the dude (I don't really know what his name was). Liquor can make podcasts fun, but other times it can be detrimental to the show....

Flavius

daycru said:
I was responding more to the people saying they were "harassing" the guy.

Understood. Yeah, this seemed to be more drunken, good-natured ribbing, as opposed to flat-out harassment. That said, I'd imagine some peeps responding here might not have ever experienced that and that could be why they're misinterpreting it as piling on.

Regardless of whether their treatment of the guy was in poor taste, it was a godawful podcast made even worse by the fact that they chose not to do a real podcast this week to release this shit.

Mar_ said:
Everyone was drunk, everyone was yelling. He just had to yell louder to attempt to drown out the mocking and interruptions. Personally, I would have walked out.

I think there must be something about what was going on in the room that didn't come through on the recording. It was about 1:30 in the morning, for one thing, and there were like 10 people in the room. Everyone was pretty drunk, happy, and good natured. The Scottish guy (can't remember his name) didn't understand that every time he said the word boner with his accent, it made everyone in the room fucking lose it.

There's this thing that happens on podcasts: You try to make a serious point, then someone cracks a joke to lighten things up. Your strategy, if you're trying to actually make said point, is to laugh along. Then--in a less serious way--you make your way back to your point. But dude wasn't really rolling with those moments. He was in all-serious mode. We were in office party mode.

Calcaneus

Maybe its because I was dreading yet another fucking discussion comparing videogames to movies and books, but I was pretty entertained by the insane turn the discussion took.

Lighten up guys, life's too short.

PowderedToast

great first segment, but the second just wasn't really there. it felt like there was a constant disconnect between the scottish fellow and the rest of the guys. it wasn't that enjoyable to listen to.

Sectus

That bizarre argument definitely made little sense, and I'm a bit disappointed and annoyed that when people started talking about it more calmly they all went the pretentious road and refused to say they play video games simply because they're fun. They all had to try to come up with some kind of deeper meaning about why people should play games. One of them said that games are automatically inferior to books, and a few said they almost never play games... well, it made me question why they're supposedly so dedicated to games when they talk about games so negatively.

At the very least, "Would you shut up about boners?!" in that accent definitely made me giggle.

Calcaneus

Sectus said:
That bizarre argument definitely made little sense, and I'm a bit disappointed and annoyed that when people started talking about it more calmly they all went the pretentious road and refused to say they play video games simply because they're fun. They all had to try to come up with some kind of deeper meaning about why people should play games. One of them said that games are automatically inferior to books, and a few said they almost never play games... well, it made me question why they're supposedly so dedicated to games when they talk about games so negatively.
That did get a bit annoying when they start talking about playing games as some worthless, shameful thing we do to keep from daydreaming all day.

I love / hate how Robert basically tricked me into wasting an hour listening to OTHER people try to explain why they waste time playing video games

They do it because they are wasting time till they die and here I am wasting time till I die by listening to OTHER people waste time - I'm not even wasting my own time with videogames...

This is my life? Listening to drunk scotsmen? WTF is wrong with me - in 80 years I'll be dead and maybe 3 people (if that many) will actually have wasted a though on me at some point in 2089

Oh god... and now I'm gaf!

+1 Scottish dude defense force. The guy may have been drunk but he would've been able to make his points if anybody would've let him finish a sentence. I was right there with him but it was next to impossible to follow without Robert Ashley's condescension and dismissals.

The question was "Why did you even start to play games? Why do you play them?"

Scottish dude brought up interactivity, and that to him video games are the most important medium we have now - and if I follow his thoughts correctly, he was trying to explain how at the moment the medium is still in its infancy and concerned only with killing things and blowing shit up, but that an interactive medium is capable of so much more, and so much more range of experience. He's got a point, and one most GAFFers would probably agree with if they let the guy finish.

-1 Robert Ashley fan club. For a guy who makes his living in the gaming business, he does seem to disdain anybody who thinks that gaming might be important. Every time I hear this guy I think he's pretty damn full of himself and only interested in abstract personalities, not the actual work.

Worst 1up I've heard in a damn long time. If you're going to discuss some points, do it. Tossing "Bonerz!" in the middle of every comment is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

LCfiner

Man, I would not have expected such a sour reaction to how that super drunk dev was treated.

he kept repeating the same point again and again "it's about feeelings" but, really, how long have we had these epic games that attempt to evoke such emotions? Only recently.

Everyone in that recording room (and probably half of GAF) started gaming for other reasons. perhaps an obsession with technology or the thrill of interactivity with a traditionally non interactive device (the TV).

Or perhaps how the simple games of the past helped spurn our own imagination in the same way a book can get us to visualize things that are not really there.

the guy was talking about he WANTS in games but wasn't really answering why we play games. and he wouldn't stop yelling the same point again and again. I would have kicked him off the mic, too.

heck, I suspect that for most people (not Gaffers, but the general public) gaming is just an entertaining and simple distraction and all the talk of feelings and emotions and epic experiences has as much meaning as Bobito's Bonerzz talk.

LCfiner said:
the guy was talking about he WANTS in games but wasn't really answering why we play games. and he wouldn't stop yelling the same point again and again. I would have kicked him off the mic, too.

He kept repeating himself because nobody let him finish a sentence. But to each his own I guess. Some people wanted to hear about this guy's opinions, and others wanted to chill and joke about bonerz.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LCfiner said:
Man, I would not have expected such a sour reaction to how that super drunk dev was treated.

he kept repeating the same point again and again "it's about feeelings" but, really, how long have we had these epic games that attempt to evoke such emotions? Only recently.

Everyone in that recording room (and probably half of GAF) started gaming for other reasons. perhaps an obsession with technology or the thrill of interactivity with a traditionally non interactive device (the TV).

Or perhaps how the simple games of the past helped spurn our own imagination in the same way a book can get us to visualize things that are not really there.

heck, I suspect that for most people (not Gaffers, but the general public) gaming is just an entertaining and simple distraction and all the talk of feelings and emotions and epic experiences has as much meaning as Bobito's Bonerzz talk.

Define recent.

Balb

LCfiner said:

Yup, and children start reading because their parents force them to, and they watch tv because they see cute little cartoons on the screen. It doesn't matter why people start doing something, it matters why they continue to do so when they're older, at least in the discussion they were having.

NullPointer said:
For a guy who makes his living in the gaming business, he does seem to disdain anybody who thinks that gaming might be important.

Are you actually familiar with anything I do? Of course I think games are important.

The dude was SCREAMING the same shit over and over again, and it was ridiculous. What else could we do but laugh?

Zeliard

LCfiner said:

One thing is that after they kicked him off, they started talking about how killing people in GTAIV was far more difficult due to the increase in fidelity and realism, which directly relates to the point the drunken Scotsman was attempting to make that games allow you to experience things you otherwise couldn't.

Something the people on the show probably need to realize is that their listeners, most of the time, probably aren't drunk (I'd imagine not very many people drink heavily while listening to podcasts). And there isn't much fun in being the sober guy at a drunken party. Fucked up on alcohol as the Scot was, he was actually trying to make some sort of point that relates to gaming and have some type of discussion, while everyone around him was only slightly less drunk but doing nothing except yelling "bonerz, dude" over and over.

LCfiner said:

The 'thrill of interacting' is what he was trying to talk about (at least one of his completely unfinished thoughts). He started off with big, obvious recent examples about the affect of the player and was trying, increasingly in vain, to bring it round to generalisations when he realised everyone misunderstood him (no wonder when he didn't get to finish a sentence without being interup-BONERZ!!). While it was clear, at least it seemed that, he was mish-mashing a load of conversations and thoughts he had in the past, I actually wanted to hear him out, let alone not listen to constant harrassing. Yes, everyone was drunk, I get it, but that doesn't mean the second half should have been put out.
Balb said:
Yup, and children start reading because their parents force them to, and they watch tv because they see cute little cartoons on the screen. It doesn't matter why people start doing something, it matters why they continue to do so when they're older, at least in the discussion they were having.
This is actually an interesting point I was thinking about in the final 10mins. Are these explanations we have actually true reasons why we've kept playing and stayed interested since childhood, or are there more akin to after the fact justifications.

::Ed - Regardless, it was a loaded (and somewhat dull) question from the get go, and certainly a GDC podcast isn't the time or place...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Had they released the 2nd half as "Sober UP" or similar, it would've been better. Guess it was one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Robert Ashley said:
Are you actually familiar with anything I do? Of course I think games are important.

The dude was SCREAMING the same shit over and over again, and it was ridiculous. What else could we do but laugh?

srsly

Robert Ashley said:

Not too familiar no - outside of some recent podcasts. I actually really dug what you had to say about Love, its creator, and the passion in the indy scene for example, so its not all negative. Although you seemed to be more interested in the chic party crowd and personal interest story angle than the games themselves.

For me, I could tell where the Scottish guy was coming from, as I've made the same points over drunken gaming rants myself - all he needed was about a solid minute to make his point and you guys could've gone from there.

But either way, you guys sounded like you were having fun - I was just hoping to hear people's answer to your question - it got way too chaotic and out of control, and didn't need to be the clusterfuck that it was. Makes for a fun time in person but a rambling and incoherent podcast.

I know you personally think games are important, but your friend was making that same point and you said they didn't matter compared to the economy and world events - well no shit. Hah. Of course they don't compare - but that doesn't mean that you can't see the potential for expanding games into more realms of emotion and feeling, instead of their current rut of ultra-violence one-upsmanship.

GhaleonQ

eXxy said:

EXXY. INTERACTIVITY. PART OF THE EXPERIENCE. *deep inhalation* INTERACTIVITY. FEELINGS. ICO. THINK ABOUT IT. CONTROLS THE EXPERIENCE. INTERACTIVITY. CHOICES.

You guys must be the most tolerant audience ever. If you're going into a hackneyed argument like, say, whether God is knowable, and the person keeps yelling, "But why is there SOMETHING...instead of NOTHING?" over and over again, and if he constantly changes the subject every time you push back, you'd stop debating.

ravien56

Robert Ashley said:

yea but did u guys end up agreeing with his points?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
"Why do you play games?"

Yeah that was a real fun listen.
Yeah, the whole topic of discussion was just a "Not this shit again" for me. I don't tune in to listen to some guys explain the deeper meaning of games to me. I just want to hear about some shit they saw at GDC.

NullPointer said:
Not too familiar no - outside of some recent podcasts. I actually really dug what you had to say about Love, its creator, and the passion in the indy scene for example, so its not all negative. Although you seemed to be more interested in the chic party crowd and personal interest story angle than the games themselves.

For me, I could tell where the Scottish guy was coming from, as I've made the same points over drunken gaming rants myself - all he needed was about a solid minute to make his point and you guys could've gone from there.

But either way, you guys sounded like you were having fun - I was just hoping to hear people's answer to your question - it got way too chaotic and out of control, and didn't need to be the clusterfuck that it was. Makes for a fun time in person but a rambling and incoherent podcast.

I know you personally think games are important, but your friend was making that same point and you said they didn't matter compared to the economy and world events - well no shit. Hah. Of course they don't compare - but that doesn't mean that you can't see the potential for expanding games into more realms of emotion and feeling, instead of their current rut of ultra-violence one-upsmanship.

http://alifewellwasted.com/

Top Bottom