• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen UP: 04/03/09 - GDC Wrap Up

StuBurns

Banned
I'm only half way thru but I'm loving it so far, it's a little slow paced, but the chat has been interesting, if not a little unfocused.

EDIT: I enjoyed the second half too, but Garnett's comment about the Metacritic conversion of his C grade for 50 Cent really confused me.

C is clearly average on the current 1up scale ("C+ through C- is average"), they claimed their 5/10 was average before the change to letter grades. How can Metacritic derive any percentage, other than 50% from a C on the 1up scale? If 5/10 is the same as a C to them, a C is 50%.

I really think they haven't got a clue about their own scale.

noonche

The second half of this is the worst thing that has come out of 1UP podcasts. :( I'm including EGM Live in this to. :( :( :(

iplay5150

I'm not sure if the second half is the worst ever or the best ever. Its one or the other, I've gotta think about it.

Edit: OK, he just brought up Bad Boys II, this is the best ever. :lol

TTG

holly crap irish douche. First 1up show I have to stop halfway through. :lol

Maybe a good "you had to be there" moment, but that's it.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I don't know how I can ever get past: "we're trying to make grays out of whites and blacks, instead of just making grays."

xintin

stuburns said:
I'm only half way thru but I'm loving it so far, it's a little slow paced, but the chat has been interesting, if not a little unfocused.

EDIT: I enjoyed the second half too, but Garnett's comment about the Metacritic conversion of his C grade for 50 Cent really confused me.

C is clearly average on the current 1up scale ("C+ through C- is average"), they claimed their 5/10 was average before the change to letter grades. How can Metacritic derive any percentage, other than 50% from a C on the 1up scale? If 5/10 is the same as a C to them, a C is 50%.

I really think they haven't got a clue about their own scale.
The way i've seen 1up's system lately has been similar to a school's grade system. In that case, a C is anywhere from 78-85 (or was when I was in school). it makes more sense to me that way.

I thought 1up re-ranked everything when they switched anyways. was it a just straight translation from number range to letter or actually re-review/ranking?

anyways, 2nd half was hilarious for so many reasons. i was kinda pleased to not get the esoteric topic/ridiculous answer session I was expecting from the GDC show.

StuBurns

Banned
xintin said:
The way i've seen 1up's system lately has been similar to a school's grade system. In that case, a C is anywhere from 78-85 (or was when I was in school). it makes more sense to me that way.
But they say a C is average, and 5/10 was average. If they said 8/10 was average before their new scale, you'd have a point, but they didn't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What I find interesting (and hilarious) is listening to how the different personalities handle the "situation" in the second segment.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
it felt so wrong
it felt so right

doesn't mean you need to put it on the internet as a podcast tonight

i had a drunk guy on my podcast and i liked it~

I liked it~

I thought the segment in the middle was hilarious, especially Robert Ashley's homosexual innuendo. Garnett was a great host, and it showed that he tried really hard to make it work under the given circumstances. Props to him.

Drink like the Scottish indeed.

StuBurns

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
I thought the segment in the middle was hilarious, especially Robert Ashley's homosexual innuendo. Garnett was a great host, and it showed that he tried really hard to make it work under the given circumstances. Props to him.

Drink like the Scottish indeed.
Yeah, Garnett did great, but that fucking Scottish guy, he was fucking idiot.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Man this episode was awesome. Some of you dudes need to lighten up.

the drunk dude was HILARIOUS.

Also, Robert Ashley is podcast gold. I may have to listen to his show.

Also, mind blown at the destructible environments point. :lol

Htown said:
Man this episode was awesome. Some of you dudes need to lighten up.

the drunk dude was HILARIOUS.

Also, Robert Ashley is podcast gold. I may have to listen to his show.

Also, mind blown at the destructible environments point. :lol

If you don't listen to it already, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. Not only the best game related podcast, it's one of the best podcasts out there.

Mar

What the fuck.

The irony of laughing at, interrupting, refusing to acknowledge any points what so ever, and then KICKING A GUY OFF THE PODCAST. Then straight after talking about how awesome everyone is because they listen to everyone and share points. Was a fucking travesty and this is the single worst podcast I've heard. Let alone 1up Yours which I've listened to since the beginning.

Did this guy who was mocked endlessly have reason for receiving the ridicule? Did he kick someone in the balls before he came on? What the hell happened here?

I'm afraid to listen to this podcast now. Is it really that bad? They shouldn't have cut out this segment from last weeks show and just done an extra long show.

voltron

Mar_ said:
What the fuck.

The irony of laughing at, interrupting, refusing to acknowledge any points what so ever, and then KICKING A GUY OFF THE PODCAST. Then straight after talking about how awesome everyone is because they listen to everyone and share points. Was a fucking travesty and this is the single worst podcast I've heard. Let alone 1up Yours which I've listened to since the beginning.

Did this guy who was mocked endlessly have reason for receiving the ridicule? Did he kick someone in the balls before he came on? What the hell happened here?

dude u cant be serious.

He was drunk and acting like a tool. And he didnt get get kicked off. He got rotated out as there were others loitering around waiting for a chance to get on.

fuck me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
voltron said:
dude u cant be serious.

He was drunk and acting like a tool. And he didnt get get kicked off. He got rotated out as there were others loitering around waiting for a chance to get on.

fuck me.

No, I agree with Mar_. Poor guy was trying to make a point about being able to appreciate pop and high art simultaneously and he was literally laughed off the podcast. It was rough to listen to, and he was drunk.

Mar_ said:
What the fuck.

I somewhat agree. He was drunk and trying to explain his stance, which was a lot more clear than the overblown reaction would make you think, and no one was really willing to accept it. It was a bit hard to listen to. It's not like messy points haven't been made on 1upyours in the past, or even on this very same podcast, but they weren't blown up like this was.

Mar

Y2Kev said:
No, I agree with Mar_. Poor guy was trying to make a point about being able to appreciate pop and high art simultaneously and he was literally laughed off the podcast. It was rough to listen to, and he was drunk.

Yep. He was drunk. But he was also trying to make a point.

He was kicked off. He "failed out" and was asked to leave. Props to the guy for taking it gracefully and leaving without telling everyone to fuck off. Because I would have.

In yet another example of how mass irony was at play in this episode. Klepek directly challenged all of the dudes points as ludicrous. The argument about emotional responses in games. And then not 5 minutes after the dude was kicked off the podcast, Klepek talked about how he felt horrible for running over people in GTA4.

Hello? Retarded much? I like Klepek. And perhaps there was another reason for all this to have taken place. I can see someone getting laughed off a podcast if no one liked them, and a pack mentality formed to ridicule someone even if you yourself do not agree with what you are saying. But if not. Jesus. Again. What the hell happened here.

voltron

CHRP718 said:
After the Victor Lucas part, this was the worst 1UP Yours/ListenUP podcast ever :(

cbf arguing about that other shit, but I agree on this mostly because what we were told to expect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar_ said:
What the fuck.

Yep, it really made me feel uncomfortable.

Yuck.

Maybe they need to morph this show down to something like Cranky Geeks. 30 minutes. No bullshit. 1 host, maybe a co-host and 2 or 3 revolving chairs.

Turns out, the 1upYours format should have died when the name changed.

jax (old)

Banned
drunk Scottish guy was fuck hilarious. Was playing n plus and he made me LOL. Bring him back as permanent 4th chair

voltron

Micromegas said:
Yuck.

Maybe they need to morph this show down to something like Cranky Geeks. 30 minutes. No bullshit. 1 host, maybe a co-host and 2 or 3 revolving chairs.

Turns out, the 1upYours format should have died when the name changed.

What in gods name are fucking talking about?

The show is fine. Do you even have any idea what people are complaining about? If youre serious about your 'suggestion' then why even listen to this podcast? The format and host structure obviously isnt for you.

:lol :lol :lol wow

CHRP718

Banned
The whole 2nd half was just uncomfortable to listen to.
They should have done a regular show and just add the Victor Lucas part at the end.

diss

Banned
personally i think the drunk guy made it fucking hilarious. well it would have been funny with just robert ashley and patrick klepek but he just brought in a tonne of unexpected hilarity. good on ya drunk guy! i listened with a huge smile on my face

the second half was way way better than the first which was rather dull and nothing you've never heard before. fuck the haters. second half roooles!#

Mar

diss said:
personally i think the drunk guy made it fucking hilarious.

Everyone was drunk, everyone was yelling. He just had to yell louder to attempt to drown out the mocking and interruptions. Personally, I would have walked out.

ZeroEdge

Jax said:
drunk Scottish guy was fuck hilarious. Was playing n plus and he made me LOL. Bring him back as permanent 4th chair

I fully agree with this. The second segment (although not informative unless you like bonerz and Bad Boys II) was fucking hilarious :lol

I laughed so hard. Good show. You guys were a bit mean to him but he was probably too trashed to care.

I once read that an Edge editor pretended to be Mrs. Molyneux to get into a party once, they really are party animals.

Agree completely with Mar, that was embarassing.
It sounded like the edge guy had some interesting things to say, but nobody would listen to him or even let him finish a single sentence BONERZ!! let alone a complete thought. I don't know whether Robert Ashley was insecure about something, but he (and Klepek to an extent) acted like a total ass, and extremely hostile. I can't believe I'm actually saying that, but then again he always had that fratboy attitude with Shawn on GFW when they felt like it. Who was it that called out the dichotomy between how he was acting then, and as host of the incredible, but now ironically titled, "A Life Well Wasted"? The only one who was actually listening (seeing that he was making good points) and trying to let him speak was the 50 Cent developer.

For all the drunk talk, he really didn't sound any more so than any of the regulars on the podcast (Patrick seemed the worst). I was actually surprised to read that when I opened the thread. Yes he was talking louder and louder, but only so as to try and talk over everyone interrupting him. I probably would've been shouting in his position. :lol

Perhaps, it was his accent.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
boners have feelings too , ya know ..

:lol

drunk scottish guy = best podcast cameo ever.

GhaleonQ

I'm actually surprised that he has defenders. "HEY, ROOMMATE! I WANNA TELL YOU ABOUT THIS THEORY I GOT. OKAY, SO 'BOUT DEJA VU IS, LIKE, GOD TEMPORARILY TAKING OV-" and then you walk away. They tried to shut his grand idea down after it was apparent that he wasn't going anywhere with it.

Top Bottom