• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not sure but you need to really pump strength if you want to use the high end str weapons. For example, I have been doing a 2:1 ratio str:vit/end/fth and I have 28 str. I just picked up an awesome axe that requires 31 str to use (currently level 60 and at
Annihilator
for reference).

if its the one with 2 blades, thas what I use :)

Maffis

So basically after the third boss, when you just start meeting these 8 armed things. There is a checkpoint right next to a small cave with spiders where you have to jump quite alot to get to the end. Well, on this checkpoint, my compass thingy is emitting alot of sound but I just can't find anything. It is right on the checkpoint. Someone halp plz.

Hagi

Got this today current in the
other dimension to destroy the lords gate to key stone
i thought the tower shield guys were annoying but i'm currently getting my ass kicked repeatedly by this spear wielding demon located
just after you open the giant gate and enter the courtyard looking place

The bosses i've fought so far have been pretty easy compared to this fucker lol

Gotta say that i really dislike the amount of attacks i've seen that can't be interrupted and go straight through your block.

ImboSlice

Gotta say that i really dislike the amount of attacks i've seen that can't be interrupted and go straight through your block.

Roll!

First half of my playtrough I stuck to blocking like I used to in Souls. But rolling is damn powerful in LotF. My last three bosses I didn't even have a shield out.

so do we know if they will patch again on PS4, tearing is nuts on this game

I picked up Sunset Overdrive on the same day, and it has huge amounts of enemies (and long draw distance) and I never noticed any tearing or anything. Makes fallen on PS4 look pathetic in comparison, with tearing in a simple interior location with just 2 or 3 enemies.

Hagi

Roll!

First half of my playtrough I stuck to blocking like I used to in Souls. But rolling is damn powerful in LotF. My last three bosses I didn't even have a shield out.

Yeah that was how i beat him. Its weird because a lot of the opinions I've read bout the game were about how roll is useless and heavy armor is the way to go but I've found just going heavy irritating when enemies just attack through your attacks.

Dammit, should have gotten the PC version then. Oh well, I guess a double dip down the line is in order.

I am so disappointed with performance on the PS4 its ridiculous

this game tears when there is less detail on the screen that dark souls 2 on the older generation of consoles

I really dont understand how such a simple looking game has such technical problems on PS4 and Xbox One.

I believe the devs made venetica on xbox, and that ran surprisingly well. I just dont understand how such a simple looking game has all these problems.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You didn't run into crashes on the PC version? I ended up getting it on PS4, because people were talking about crashes on PC, but it seems that was a mistake.

I can only speak for myself, but the game only crashed when PhysX was set to auto instead of forced to run on the CPU. Since changing that, the game hasn't crashed once in the 4 hours or so I've played it.

burgerdog

What's the pros of not equipping a shield?
I find myself not using it much and just rolling around.

That it's not derp mode hold R1 to win! Anyway, will it be clear when the game is about to end?

^
It's going to crash but under very special circumstances.

ImboSlice

Rolling is really really good. The invincibility frames actually work (I'm look at you, DkS2) and make fights like the one against
the Annihilator
much easier.

burgerdog

Rolling is really really good. The invincibility frames actually work (I'm look at you, DkS2) and make fights like the one against
the Annihilator
much easier.

Are you sure you're looking at ds2? I've beat every single boss by rolling and 2 handing. Including all the dlc bosses and never had a problem with the roll screwing me over. It was always my fault when I died. Get your adp up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Beat NG+ in 1 hour and 55 minutes.

yeah, this game is rushable :lol

Time for NG++!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Beat NG+ in 1 hour and 55 minutes.

yeah, this game is rushable :lol

Time for NG++!

was there a lot of new loot? im guessing if you speedran it you didnt explore much, but at least from bosses and whatnot?

Sothpaw

In heavy armor this game is super easy. I just don't take damage from anything and my 2H weapon just destroys. That said, still well worth my $50 as I really enjoyed my time with it. Going after the last boss when baby goes down for a nap.

Game is even shorter than Demon's Souls if anyone is wondering (took me around 15 hours blind and total exploration). Not even 1/5th of a full DLC Dark Souls 2 playthrough.

jesu

Less weight and for me less hassle switching between the Gauntlet and you main weapon.

Oh right, I don't think I have a gauntlet yet(now I'm thinking what if I do have a gauntlet but haven't noticed!)
Less weight is good though, I've spent a lot of time combining armour trying to keep a fast roll.

ImboSlice

Just beat the final boss.

Jesus, those flames sure are annoying.

Enjoyed my time. About 16 hours on my first playthrough.

Ricker

Well I am done guys, 4th Boss is BS..

One word of advice for those who want to play this in the future,dont start as Rogue.

Have fun,I am out of here and no you cant have my stuff :p

Heman

Was having a decent time with this game but it got sour really fast .
Killed this boss in the graveyard and got this sweet looking scythe that had an awesome special attack where it would make spikes appear from the ground.
Only problem is that as soon as the spike hits an enemy the game freezes and locks up.
Am really salty bout this.

What's the pros of not equipping a shield?
I find myself not using it much and just rolling around.

Sometimes just having a shield equipped gives you a nice chunk of defense points, even if it's on your back.

Infiltrator,that spider looking thing,with the Blue beam in the middle...no clue why that is there by the way...I am level 45...didn't do the Champion in the Catacombs though,from looking at a video he looks much easier.

That boss was annoying, I only beat it from using a dummy and then standing behind it and mashing attack with a 2h axe, any other legit approach either took ages to get it's hp down or the openings for attack were way too small and I kept trading damage.

In a dev video they said that you could break the armor off the legs to hit weak points, that never happaned for me at all, you probably need to deal enough damage to the leg to break it as you would need to kill it anyway.

burgerdog

So I beat the game as a "rogue" wearing medium armor and 2 handing greatswords, axes, poleswords etc. Used the fastest roll the entire game through and other than the shielded guys it does its job most of the time. I wish there was more enemy variety and bosses had more than 2-3 different attacks. The last boss was probably the easiest of them all.

It may sound like I didn't enjoy the game but I definitely did. I can't explain it, it's nowhere near as good as From's games, yet I still enjoyed the heck out of it despite all its shortcomings. If they make a sequel they need better balance, a far bigger world with way more enemies and bosses. Good freshman effort.

any pointers against the
infiltrator?
i been struggling quite a bit.

Fight him up close. He usually spams a three hit combo, so when he begins it, either circle-strafe with your shield up or dodge-roll to the side. Then hit him two or three times. Just be careful not to get greedy. If you have to back off for healing or whatever reason, he may do his big forward jump, which can be dodged by forward-rolling in his direction. When he gets down to 50-60% HP, he'll put down some pods that will turn into some organic mush puddles or whatever. Don't get caught in them. Other than that, keep up the previous pattern of dodging his 3-hit combo then counter-attacking. If he goes toward the things he put down for healing and then digs his legs into the ground and hunkers down, he's trying to heal, so you can run in and really wail on him without fear of reprisal.

Tak3n

Banned
So basically after the third boss, when you just start meeting these 8 armed things. There is a checkpoint right next to a small cave with spiders where you have to jump quite alot to get to the end. Well, on this checkpoint, my compass thingy is emitting alot of sound but I just can't find anything. It is right on the checkpoint. Someone halp plz.

there is a little entrance in the cave, in there you have to jump over gaps and there are two chests down in there, one on the left path, one on the right

Poise. All I know is that its purpose is to prevent you from being interrupted while attacking or casting. But I don't know if I want a high number or a low number. Shields seem to value a higher poise number, while armor indicates that a lower poise number is better. I'm confused.

Ricker

Fight him up close. He usually spams a three hit combo, so when he begins it, either circle-strafe with your shield up or dodge-roll to the side. Then hit him two or three times. Just be careful not to get greedy. If you have to back off for healing or whatever reason, he may do his big forward jump, which can be dodged by forward-rolling in his direction. When he gets down to 50-60% HP, he'll put down some pods that will turn into some organic mush puddles or whatever. Don't get caught in them. Other than that, keep up the previous pattern of dodging his 3-hit combo then counter-attacking. If he goes toward the things he put down for healing and then digs his legs into the ground and hunkers down, he's trying to heal, so you can run in and really wail on him without fear of reprisal.

Basically yeah lol...took 6 tries until I realised ''fight him up close''...it makes it easier to avoid his 3 frozen blades he throws by just running around,at first from far away they where nailing me,stunning me and he would jump on me...also the end part when he tries to heal,kill those 2 things he munches on first and then wail on him...

So yeah,I am back on the bandwagon lol...

Basically yeah lol...took 6 tries until I realised ''fight him up close''...it makes it easier to avoid his 3 frozen blades he throws by just running around,at

I tried keeping my distance the first couple times I fought him, and while it's not too difficult to dodge the blades, long-range is not practical for damage-dealing. Especially when he can leap and close the distance in an instant.

Korten

Banned
So I found a second sign from Antanas for the side quest but I can't activate it... Anyone else seen it? It's right next to a gate and a wooden pillar in the area across from the 2nd boss.

Ferr986

I was going to say that too. I mean, Im still very early on the game (after the 3rd boss, im in that
other dimension
area).

I have found lots and lots of STR based axes, yet nothing for DEX builds. Im still using the monk staff and I think its not going to cut it for the next boss.

So I found a second sign from Antanas for the side quest but I can't activate it... Anyone else seen it? It's right next to a gate and a wooden pillar in the area across from the 2nd boss.

U went way too far dude. All 3 signs are before the 2nd boss.
One is by a switch, right near where you got the gauntlet and the other is to the right on the pillar underneath the first archer you encounter

ArynCrinn

Banned
Alright, beat the game as a Rogue only using Daggers/Monk Staff, and only leveling END/AGL.

My question is, and maybe a noob quetion because I'm always too damn drunk to figure out if you can or not. But is it possible to take off all armor and go naked? And if you can, does it help rolls/i-frames or is it the same as light armor, just less defense?

Edit: Gonna be recording a full 100% playthrough of a naked Rogue Dagger/s-only (no upgrades) run! ;) Don't know yet if I'll impose a no healing, no shield rule for the bosses yet, prolly not on my first run.

Maffis

there is a little entrance in the cave, in there you have to jump over gaps and there are two chests down in there, one on the left path, one on the right
Ive already taken both chests in there yet the sound continues. I cant find anything more.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Currently struggling with that boss too (as a Rogue). I switched from daggers to a hammer and dealt some more damage but dude has wrecked me at least a dozen times. As for the spoiler,
I cheesed it with the gauntlet
The staff is awesome with rogue. Also if you can power up that second spell rogue hits dang hard. Worth poking about for stuff in the tower before the checkpoint too.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Damnit people, I'm on my 8th Heineken, I need to know how to unequip all armor!

Anyway, Severance - Blade of Darkness fan mod patch incoming, basically meaning lots of blood/dismemberment, uses the game own physics engine. You can also push enemies around and kick them as well as gib them after their killed, it'll be extremely CPU heavy though. Should be available to the public by Xmas. Your welcome!

bronk

Banned
I really wanted to like this game but I just dont. I dont feel any sense of accomplishment when I do anything in this game like I did in Dark Souls :( I was slightly frustrated at all times with movement, moves and overall look of the game. I dont mean to bash im just bummed as I was so excited. Im glad some Dark Souls fans are enjoying it! Guess ill just wait for Bloodborne.

Ill prolly just sell it. Any Gaffer wants it message me. Im in Los Angeles.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Damn NG+ is hilarious. Every chest you've looted in NG has the items replaced with an attribute shard and a bunch of other random shards.

I've gotten like 40 stat points and spells points so far.

Sanctuary

Question: has anyone found out if any of the sets actually have a bonus? I never noticed any of them giving a bonus on my first playthrough. Is it perhaps just NG+ gear?

Are you sure you're looking at ds2? I've beat every single boss by rolling and 2 handing. Including all the dlc bosses and never had a problem with the roll screwing me over. It was always my fault when I died. Get your adp up.

That's the problem. The default roll is trash and you need to raise your AGI (not necessarily ADP) to around 90 - 110 before it stops sucking ass.

I am currently playing as Rogue in this game and they really do start out rough as hell compared to the "herp derp" Warrior class. You can run around in the Warrior armor too if you wish, since you find it relatively early, but you do actually want to be more mobile when using AGI based weapons. I could never recommend playing a Rogue as a starting class, but for a second playthrough it's pretty fun.

Pros:
1. Movement speed obviously (you can do the same with STR/FTH but it somewhat clashes with the playstyles and weapons)

2. Daggers and Short Swords can stunlock or interrupt a hell of a lot of enemies, including spiders. The energy to damage ratio is also probably the best.

3. Parry/Riposte quicker strafing for backstabs, and it seems like faster weapons either hit the backstab window easier or they just have a wider "spot" to hit, because they are super easy. Parrying is brain dead easy too after a while except on the asshole Demonic Tower Knight guys. I have to switch to a fucking tower shield to open them up with a charge since you can't do that with a buckler. Feels really dumb using a tower shield as a "Rogue".

4. Staff type weapons are pretty fun too, but I'm not quite decided on which I prefer yet. They seem to have a harder time backstabbing.

Cons:
1. I haven't really found much use for dual-wielding. The risk never seems to be worth the damage at all. Most of the time where I would be in a good position to do a dual-wield combo, I could have just one-handed backstabbed for the same or more while using a shield.

2. Has to "waste" more points into endurance than a STR class to reach a similar equip load. Only a small con though since you will still be at best a medium speed as a STR class in all heavy armor.

3. Those huge tower shield knights completely and utterly suck. They are rough for anyone, but they are especially bad with a lower health, lower armored character and I feel like I am forced to use a tower shield of my own. I can wreck them when using a tower shield and not in a narrow ass hallway, but it just feels lame to have to play that way.

4. Not so much a con as conflict of interests regarding playstyles. I have no idea which magic school would be the best. I want to use Deception, but Solace has everything going for it for a character that needs a better way to avoid damage or recover health on top of supremely easy options for backstabbing. Won't have enough mana to abuse much from Deception, and it will also be somewhat hard to get the spells up to 3/3 if you're trying to play with lower FTH.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
huge souls fan, here.

is this at least competent? like, worth full price.

Horp

Ok I got back in to the game a bit tonight and I'm sure something is weird in my game:
My character does everything in slow motion, especially running. I removed all gear and it moves just as slow as with full armor. Watched gameplay videos and they move way faster than me. Anyone else have this problem?

Neverfade

I'm obviously overlooking something simple. Where do I go after the 4th boss (
3 legged spider lady
).

Obviously it says go to Monastery Cathedral, but I don't particularly recall that name. Is it where you fight
First Warden
?

Top Bottom