• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Dammit, should have gotten the PC version then. Oh well, I guess a double dip down the line is in order.

I'm getting crashes every time I play including a couple of BSODs. The game is fantastic but a technical mess. I wouldn't buy it until they release a stability patch that fixes all the crashing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ok im opening all the secrets I was wondering about before, well not all but alot, guess its a end game thing.

Toreal

Originally, yes, but with the most recent patch I haven't had any issues. No weird memory leaks or anything like that either.

That was what I thought as well, played for 10 hours without one crash after the patch, but then I reached the endgame and its crashing like mad again
It seems to have something to do with the fire effect as I will crash during fights with mobs that use it.
So now I am stuck at a fight with
The lost brothers who are using lightning and fire
, I just keep crashing but the fight it self is easy.
Tried verifying cache, switched physx back to the gpu, lowering settings but nothing works. Cant finish the game until next patch it seems :(

bede-x

I'm getting crashes every time I play including a couple of BSODs. The game is fantastic but a technical mess. I wouldn't buy it until they release a stability patch that fixes all the crashing.

Sad to hear that. So far I've had no crashes on PS4, but the performance is otherwise unacceptable imo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm did that
garden area in the locked door on the way to the graveyard
finally, quite short but some good chests there, got my 31 STR to use my axe (got some better weapons but they are of the "greatsomething" variety and im not a fan in this game, which is strange because I was in DS) so I think im about ready to finish the game. Theres a locked chest
behind a wall in the old gardens that I have no idea how to open :(

Im sure I missed some stuff (
everyone hates me now so I cant finish the tattoo quest for example
) but im feeling good about this run, got a cool looking armor too (
Lords, looks the same of very similar to the heavy you get in the catacombs
), a cool looking shield (
one with wings
that I got in the
garden area
) so yeah, this is good to go into NG+ if I ever do

edit: oops just noticed theres a
ghost in the old gardens, wants to see his family
. any idea what to do?

Sanctuary

I do think it matters. Got playthrough one under the belt and chose to give the shard to the smith. Now both realms are in "balance" after final boss. The other two options seem to be to let either the human side win or the demon side.

Nope. I got the same ending. And besides that, trying to give it to the Smith just has him refusing anyway. I simply didn't use it at all. I think the only time it's a factor is if you actually kill the last boss with it socketed in something. But that's not what Rhaknar was asking. Before you forcefully socket it, the dialogue text is still just an additional, generic "craft" text. It doesn't matter what you say until you actually socket it, even then you can probably still unsocket it before the last boss.

Grady

Already finding the game for 50 dollars shipped. This will be quick to drop in price. Will probably pick up once it hits about 20 dollars.

Rhaknar

Nope. I got the same ending. And besides that, trying to give it to the Smith just has him refusing anyway. I simply didn't use it at all. I think the only time it's a factor is if you actually kill the last boss with it socketed in something. But that's not what Rhaknar was asking. Before you forcefully socket it, the dialogue text is still just an additional, generic "craft" text. It doesn't matter what you say until you actually socket it, even then you can probably still unsocket it before the last boss.

yeah I havent socketed it either. Sanct, any idea about the
ghost in old gardens
?

edit: I just gave the run to the Smith and he took it Sanct, its gone from my inventory

After running with fist weapons for a while i switched myself up to a pair of shortswords i found, dealing 60 damage(+37) with scaling. I'm kicking shit and taking names, gonna miss that fist running attack though. :(

Sanctuary

yeah I havent socketed it either. Sanct, any idea about the
ghost in old gardens
?

edit: I just gave the run to the Smith and he took it Sanct, its gone from my inventory

Maybe you have to try multiple times or something, but he gave me a line about not wanting it because it's too powerful or not being able to use it.

well shit, i only played dex characters in souls games :(

Been playing Rouge and focused on DEX the entire game. I'm having shitloads of fun. Dex combat in this is much more based on parries and getting in timed combos than dodging and going in for strikes. Atleast that's how i've been winning.

Durante

If you get a BSOD your system is unstable, not any given game.

This is always the case, for any software (which isn't a driver).

Rhaknar

Maybe you have to try multiple times or something, but he gave me a line about not wanting it because it's too powerful or not being able to use it.

for me he just took it /shrug. anyway, finished the game, 18 hours or so with lots of exploring but not getting everything. I loved the game but its far from perfect. IMO it will go down as another B-Tier goodie like Singularity or Darksiders.

think ill wait for some more patches, especially the option to turn off CA to tackle NG+

Ferr986

Fuck, i entered the area of the 3rd boss with a lot of exp without knowing there was going to be a boss there. Now Im underleveled but I dont want to lose that exp.

Rhaknar

Fuck, i entered the area of the 3rd boss with a lot of exp without knowing there was going to be a boss there. Now Im underleveled but I dont want to lose that exp.

pop a ghost potion you get all your xp back. I never had to run back (except on the last boss, and I still had potions if I wanted)

I'm not fully against enemies respawning when you die but damn does it get annoying, same placement, same mob, would have been nice if enemy placements were a little random and mixed up every time you passed an area to get back to where you were.

Little things like that make or break these sorts of games.

Also Happy Halloween everyone lol

Rhaknar

I'm not fully against enemies respawning when you die but damn does it get annoying, same placement, same mob, would have been nice if enemy placements were a little random and mixed up every time you passed an area to get back to where you were.

Little things like that make or break these sorts of games.

did you have the same complaint about dark souls 1 and 2 and demon souls?

ImboSlice

Why is balance (it's Balance in German, so I assume it's the same in English) shown as an upgrade on armor, but a downgrade on shields? I don't quite get it.

Rhaknar

going to try out NG+ see how it feels, might do the tutorial area until the boss to see if he drops anything different

edit: hmm ok I did the tutorial area, including the spider cellar. No new loot so far, boss didnt even drop his fire sword, just a small rune. Dunno how many bottles you can have, I finished with 11 and now I have 13 in NG+. Mobs are going down as fast as the late gaem mobs in normal game were, Im probably overlvled tho. so yeah, going to leave this for some other time (mind you, I also didnt do DS or DS2 NG+, im just a "finish and move on to something else" type of guy)

Sanctuary

If you get a BSOD your system is unstable, not any given game.

This is always the case, for any software (which isn't a driver).

What does this even mean? I've literally had four BSOD since building this system last November. Two were when dialing in a stable CPU overclock and then two with this game.

I didn't have a single BSOD with this game until today, and I've had two in an hour. This was after simply having the game crash around 40 times during my previous clear using different weapons and armors. When looking at the resource usage, both the CPU and GPU skyrocket. Much more than with any other game so far, and that includes games I've downsampled (which I'm not bothering with this). Have you been following all of the crash reports with this game? There's even speculation that the DRM that's being used is constantly sending extra calculations per second to the CPU on top of there being a memory leak.

Hell, maybe you're right, but it seems only as far as this game being a higher stress tester than Prime, IBT or AIDA64. Which quite frankly is ridiculous.

going to try out NG+ see how it feels, might do the tutorial area until the boss to see if he drops anything different

edit: hmm ok I did the tutorial area, including the spider cellar. No new loot so far, boss didnt even drop his fire sword, just a small rune. Dunno how many bottles you can have, I finished with 11 and now I have 13 in NG+. Mobs are going down as fast as the late gaem mobs in normal game were, Im probably overlvled tho. so yeah, going to leave this for some other time (mind you, I also didnt do DS or DS2 NG+, im just a "finish and move on to something else" type of guy)
No new loot? There was a new helmet on the ground to the left of the door to the first boss for me.

Rhaknar

No new loot? There was a new helmet on the ground to the left of the door to the first boss for me.

guess I missed that, but just a new helmet sounds weird, guess the rest of the set must be somewhere?

Ferr986

This game sure is glitchy. I was fighting a spider and suddenly she starts run away the screen. So I keep going and when I reach her spawn point again she repops with full health.

Also, sometimes some enemies dont respawn after hitting a save crystal, dunno if its normal or not.

I feel like I need to understand encumbrance more. Are there certainly levels I should be going for? And if so, what do they give me?

Right now I'm focusing on keeping my encumbrance just below 50% max carry. Am I doing it right? Do I get a faster roll or more swings of my weapon?

Jolkien

This game sure is glitchy. I was fighting a spider and suddenly she starts run away the screen. So I keep going and when I reach her spawn point again she repops with full health.

Also, sometimes some enemies dont respawn after hitting a save crystal, dunno if its normal or not.

The monster leashed thats why it ran away and came back at full health. It's also normal that monster don't respawn when you use a crystal.

Loginius

Is there any way to beat the big dudes carrying a shield without using a shield?
I have no problem taking on every other mob while dual wielding daggers but cant do shit to them.
Looks like you cant backstab them, nor can you get more than one hit in after evading a combo.
Takes forever, with a shield to bash or counter its a breeze and over in 2s...

Zafir

I feel like I need to understand encumbrance more. Are there certainly levels I should be going for? And if so, what do they give me?

Right now I'm focusing on keeping my encumbrance just below 50% max carry. Am I doing it right? Do I get a faster roll or more swings of my weapon?

There is three speeds. The weight status on the menu turns green if you have the fastest roll, white if you're in the middle, and yellow if you're going to be slow iirc.

What you want to be aiming for depends on how you're playing and what your stats are. If you're not using a shield you probably want the fastest roll for example. If you have a shield it's less important, though there is sometimes you may still want to roll. As someone who falls into the second category, I've been keeping it in the white.

I beat that boss I had trouble with, just made dummy clones of myself and delt damage while she wasn't looking, feels like a weak approach to the battle but it worked.

*edit* turns out my combat complaint about the enemy auto rotating mid swing to aim at me was a bug left over from the video I posted above, now that I have started playing today I can side step attacks and hit weak points without the AI instantly spinning around to face me 100% of the time.

bugs, man.

Naminator

Banned
Hmm, idk if i'd say the game was FILLED with bugs, but the ones that do tend to happen maybe stand out more than the usual bugs in games. I just finished the game at ~20 hours of game time, and ran into maybe 2 or 3 bugs I really noticed.

Then you are really lucky my friend, I just simply can't progress any further due to constant crashing, despite trying out all the "fixes"

I really, REALLY like the game, and I'm starting to get really good with my Rogue character, but god damn it the technical issues are destroying my progression.

I honestly hope that the devs will AT LEAST implement and auto-save feature to this game, seriously I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see how much I can progress through the game without using the check points, but that's just impossible for me.

You said you beat the game in 20 hours? Well I'm at 16 hours play time and I've only beaten 3 bosses.............

I guess I'll just have to stick with watching let-plays until shit gets patched.

There is three speeds. The weight status on the menu turns green if you have the fastest roll, white if you're in the middle, and yellow if you're going to be slow iirc.

What you want to be aiming for depends on how you're playing and what your stats are. If you're not using a shield you probably want the fastest roll for example. If you have a shield it's less important, though there is sometimes you may still want to roll. As someone who falls into the second category, I've been keeping it in the white.

Thanks.

So does it only affect your roll? Does it affect weapon swings, recovery or anything like that?

Jolkien

Well that was one of the easiest final boss I ever fought. Loved the ending. Took me 22 hours, I finished the game without accomplishing everything, few doors and chest still locked but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks.

So does it only affect your roll? Does it affect weapon swings, recovery or anything like that?

Jumps very a little, initial acceleration and movement change a bit, attacks only change on weapon type not weight.

I personally stick to the white value, being heavy in the yellow makes rolling near useless so you need a shield.

Zeliard

Ram/Stab - your "projectile" magic that at 3/3 can either one-shot a lot of trash enemies, or knock them down so that you can finish them off. Situationally good, but not good on bosses

Stab does good damage if you have FTH up. Does around 375 damage per hit for me @ 20 FTH. Takes out a notable chunk of the boss's health at a good distance.

Rhaknar

Stab does good damage if you have FTH up. Does around 375 damage per hit for me @ 20 FTH. Takes out a notable chunk of the boss's health at a good distance.

wtf thats more than Ram :O I guess it doesnt knock down tho

Sothpaw

Dammit, should have gotten the PC version then. Oh well, I guess a double dip down the line is in order.

The only time in recent memory I can say that the PC version wasn't the version to go with was Dark Souls 1. But even then someone was able to fix the issues and now GFWL is removed so it is absolutely the superior version now.

For this game, the PC version is absolutely the best. Only issues I have had are a few crashes with those rolling suicide bombers.

Is the game worth the 60 usd? (ps4)

As a fan of all three Souls games I would say yes.

Sothpaw

are there any soft caps for stats like in Dark Souls?

Not sure but you need to really pump strength if you want to use the high end str weapons. For example, I have been doing a 2:1 ratio str:vit/end/fth and I have 28 str. I just picked up an awesome axe that requires 31 str to use (currently level 60 and at
Annihilator
for reference).

Top Bottom