• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP FFVIII: The Aesthetic Fore-bearer to FFXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennipeg

You know, I was gonna say I thought it was a pretty clear run from Mideel to Midgar to the Northern Crater, but then I had forgotten all that weird shit with Huge Materia in North Corel and Rocket Town, plus the futsing about with the Submarine and having to do Fort Condor if you hadn't already. Yeah, Disc 2 kinda wallows about a bit.

I felt though that Tifa helping Cloud uncover his identity in Mideel though was pretty powerful, and made it clear that this was the 'real' Cloud, which was reinforced later by the Zack flashbacks. Obviously a sort of weird translation didn't help, but I felt it came across pretty well.

The scene with Cloud and Tifa is a standout moment from the game, I was really into it. My issue was because that scene put things to rest in terms of Cloud's origin, and then you go to Midgar and Hojo refers to Cloud as a failed experiment and the only successful Sephiroth clone. Cloud doesn't refute it, he just says it doesn't matter. Now my 11 year old self just got so exasperated at that point. It didn't help that I had not been to the Shinra mansion and witnessed the Zack flashback yet. So I was just 'ffs what are you then!?' I had to look it up online.

If I played it for the first time now, I would probably understand it better. That exasperation has never entirely left me, even on my many replays.

But the biggest example for me is the black materia, your in the Gold Saucer hotel and Cloud announces that Sephiroth is after the black materia......i'm sorry what? Where did that come from? Considering its a big plot point and is the cause of meteor, I find it downright weird that it just appears in conversation like that. You can have an optional conversation with Dio about it, but even then it's a bit random, he just says 'a boy your age asked me about it'.

Anyway sorry to go off topic a bit, I still love FF7 but its far from perfect. When its good its just fantastic.

The scene with Cloud and Tifa is a standout moment from the game, I was really into it. My issue was because that scene put things to rest in terms of Cloud's origin, and then you go to Midgar and Hojo refers to Cloud as a failed experiment and the only successful Sephiroth clone. Cloud doesn't refute it, he just says it doesn't matter. Now my 11 year old self just got so exasperated at that point. It didn't help that I had not been to the Shinra mansion and witnessed the Zack flashback yet. So I was just 'ffs what are you then!?' I had to look it up online.

Well that's a case of bad terminology; Sephiroth Clone in FFVII lingo means people who have been injected with Jenova Cells and have been bounded to Sephiroth's will.

But the biggest example for me is the black materia, your in the Gold Saucer hotel and Cloud announces that Sephiroth is after the black materia......i'm sorry what? Where did that come from? Considering its a big plot point and is the cause of meteor, I find it downright weird that it just appears in conversation like that. You can have an optional conversation with Dio about it, but even then it's a bit random, he just says 'a boy your age asked me about it'.

Anyway sorry to go off topic a bit, I still love FF7 but its far from perfect. When its good its just fantastic.

I think part of it is due to him being a Sepiroth Clone, he kinda has a mind meld thing going on with Sephiroth driven by his Jenova cells, and I think that gives Cloud some insight into his thoughts.

ethomaz

Banned

If I played it for the first time now, I would probably understand it better. That exasperation has never entirely left me, even on my many replays.

Cloud has Sephiroth's cell inside him so it is called clone.

Cloud know where Sephiroth is or what he is chasing due these cells... that is why they are always following Sephiroth.

That is explained in the game... it is not from nowhere.

Jennipeg

Cloud has Sephiroth's cell inside him so it is called clone.

Cloud know where Sephiroth is or what he is chasing due these cells... that is why they are always following Sephiroth.

That is explained in the game... it is not from nowhere.

Yeah I understand it fully now, the game says the clones are drawn to Sephiroth in the North Cave, it also shows that Sephiroth can communicate with them and manipulate them, even directly control them.

But nowhere in the game does it say that Cloud has insight into Sephiroth's plans in a 'mind reading' capacity. Cloud can logically put 2 and 2 together using his knowledge of Sephiroth as a person, but he doesn't know what his plan is until Sephiroth directly tells him, and we see it happen numerous times (all part of being led to Sephiroth as a clone). Cloud only knows what Sephiroth wants him to know regarding his whereabouts and Sephiroth does not tell him about the black materia, unless this is the one time Sephiroth communicates with Cloud off screen, which is still weird. The only reason Cloud knows about the black materia is because Dio asks him about it in an optional conversation, thats nothing to do with being a clone.

VII:R will probably change the term "clones" to "copies" since that's how it was called in Crisis Core for Genesis and Angeal.

...Not that it's any less confusing.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah I understand it fully now, the game says the clones are drawn to Sephiroth in the North Cave, it also shows that Sephiroth can communicate with them and manipulate them, even directly control them.

But nowhere in the game does it say that Cloud has insight into Sephiroth's plans in a 'mind reading' capacity. Cloud can logically put 2 and 2 together using his knowledge of Sephiroth as a person, but he doesn't know what his plan is until Sephiroth directly tells him, and we see it happen numerous times (all part of being led to Sephiroth as a clone). Cloud only knows what Sephiroth wants him to know regarding his whereabouts and Sephiroth does not tell him about the black materia, unless this is the one time Sephiroth communicates with Cloud off screen, which is still weird. The only reason Cloud knows about the black materia is because Dio asks him about it in an optional conversation, thats nothing to do with being a clone.
I will reply it soon to figure out (I want play this new PSN version with trophies)... it is close to 20 years already.

Jennipeg

VII:R will probably change the term "clones" to "copies" since that's how it was called in Crisis Core for Genesis and Angeal.

...Not that it's any less confusing.

Yeah I think they will change that, well they need a new translation anyway. I figured the clone thing was part of that issue. I think the presentation of some plot points will be restructured a bit as well. I just pray they don't go crazy and shove a load of the compilation lore in there. Be restrained Square I beg you.

I will reply it soon to figure out (I want play this new PSN version with trophies)... it is close to 20 years already.

Now I feel old, I really like watching people stream it on Twitch for some reason so I remember it ok. I'm going to do the trophy run myself at some point soon.

I'm at least glad FFVIII existed because from it feedback Squaresoft created FFIX.

PS. I played the game on launch... not LTTP like most FFs fans are today (I'm 34 years old <3).

Don't know why some IX fans love creating this BS narrative that FFVIII was some kind of embarrassing failure and IX was created as a way to 'restore honor' to the franchise.

VIII & IX were in development concurrently. Sorry.

Jennipeg

Don't know why some IX fans love creating this BS narrative that FFVIII was some kind of embarrassing failure and IX was created as a way to 'restore honor' to the franchise.

Didn't VIII sell and review really well at the time? The fan pushback came later didn't it?

ethomaz

Banned

Not some fans.

That is what happened at these launches... every magazine covered it... like I said I lived these releases.

The disappointment with FFVIII was big... Internet was not a thing and that is why you can't find what happened.

Mzo

Didn't VIII sell and review really well at the time? The fan pushback came later didn't it?
ECM called it out on GameFan for what it was, even back then.

Broken game system (the worst since FF2,) awful characters, bad story... it's got it all. I hate-played it to 100% completion and know the game inside and out.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know about sales.

But the reviews where average and lower than most main FF... the game received a lot of critics from the press about weak story, bad characters and broken battle system.

Square tried to go in the realistic front and back to old style after FFVIII reception.

FF8 was a bigger success than FF7 because it had FF7's coat tails to ride on. I'm not sure if lifetime sales are a different story but I know that FF8 sold better than FF7.

ethomaz

Banned
FF8 was a bigger success than FF7 because it had FF7's coat tails to ride on. I'm not sure if lifetime sales are a different story but I know that FF8 sold better than FF7.
FF7 was the best selling FF... no FF was close to it in sales... I don't know FF8 sales compared with others but FF7 is on another tier.

There is something wrong in your data.

FF7 is the best selling FF.

There is something wrong in your data.

I didn't say otherwise dude. FF7 being the best selling FF in terms of lifetime sales doesn't surprise me. I didn't know the figure. But I know that FF8 sold bigger and faster than FF7 did at release. That was my point.

Now I feel old, I really like watching people stream it on Twitch for some reason so I remember it ok. I'm going to do the trophy run myself at some point soon.

If you really wanna feel old; I was five years old when FFVII game out. I was blissfully playing the Rugrats PSX games as if it were the greatest shit ever.

I dabbled, as I said in the OP, with the PSX FFs a bit via emulators when I first went to college (around 2010-11ish), but it was only last year that I really started digging into them, starting and beating FFVII after the E3 announcement and almost beating FFIX on my friends recommendation.

But yeah I'd say even with all the plotting weirdness, FFVII is a stronger narrative than VIII. I'm not gonna say the Rinoa x Squall stuff isn't good, I talked about it at length in that other post I did. It's just that I felt even at it's most messy, FFVII held together a stronger sense of coherence.

Did you comment on that big ass post of Disc 3 thoughts btw?

Jennipeg

I don't know about sales.

But the reviews where average and lower than most main FF... the game received a lot of critics from the press about weak story, bad characters and broken battle system.

Square tried to go in the realistic front and back to old style after FFVIII reception.

It got 9 from IGN Gamespy and Eurogamer, 9.5 from Gamespot, 95 from EGM. It really didn't review badly at all. Fan reception is a whole different thing.

It sold around 8.5 million, 7 is somewhere around 11.

ethomaz

Banned
I didn't say otherwise dude. FF7 being the best selling FF in terms of lifetime sales doesn't surprise me. I didn't know the figure. But I know that FF8 sold bigger and faster than FF7 did at release. That was my point.
You mean in Japan?

FFVII ~2m launch (week 1)
FFVIII ~2.5m launch (week 1)

WW release was about six months or more late so people already had ideia of the game and didn't get the launch hype like Japan.

I will try to find but WW I don't believe FFVIII was fastest.

Edit - I found the breakdown.

FFVII (only PS1 sales): ~10m (~4m JP)
FFVII (only PS1 sales): ~8.15m (~3.7m JP)

You mean in Japan?

FFVII ~2m launch (week 1)
FFVIII ~2.5m launch (week 1)

WW release was about six months or more late so people already had ideia of the game and didn't get the launch hype like Japan.

I will try to find but WW I don't believe FFVIII was fastest.

This is from the FF8 Wikipedia page -

"Thirteen weeks after its release, Final Fantasy VIII earned more than $50 million from sales in the United States, making it the fastest selling Final Fantasy title at the time."

Edit -

In terms of fastest selling FF ever doesn't FF13 have the crown currently? I remember reading a bunch of press releases from SE when it released lauding it as the fastest selling FF to date.

Muffdraul

Not some fans.

That is what happened at these launches... every magazine covered it... like I said I lived these releases.

The disappointment with FFVIII was big... Internet was not a thing and that is why you can't find what happened.

FFVIII was successful in Japan. It was less well received in the west because the vast majority of players had just discovered FF with VII and were taken aback that VIII was so radically different. Sure VIII has flaws, but the backlash was primarily "hey, this isn't FFVII-2 :(" Like he said, FFIX was already well into development before FFVIII relased. IX was in no way a reaction to VIII's reception.

LOL @ the internet not being a thing yet in 1999

ethomaz

Banned
This is from the FF8 Wikipedia page -

"Thirteen weeks after its release, Final Fantasy VIII earned more than $50 million from sales in the United States, making it the fastest selling Final Fantasy title at the time."

Edit -

In terms of fastest selling FF ever doesn't FF13 have the crown currently? I remember reading a bunch of press releases from SE when it released lauding it as the fastest selling FF to date.

FFXIII didn't break 8m lifetime and it sold 277k first week in Japan compared to over 2m for FFVII and FFVIII.

Maybe it was better outside Japan but the Japan gap is too huge.

And revenue means nothing for units sales after all because well Halo 5 did really well looking at revenue but sold less than half the previous games.

ethomaz

Banned
Print magazines was where the reviews, news, previews... game related things happens.

Internet was not it was today of even at how it growed after 2005.

That is why you have a hard time finding the reviews for these games... it was 90% print only.

Muffdraul

Print magazines was where the reviews, news, previews... game related things happens.

That is why you have a hard time finding the reviews for these games... it was 90% print only.

Save your keystrokes, I've been online since 1994. Yes, there was lots of disappointment and shit talk when FFVIII came out in the US. I'm sure one could find evidence on the internet if they googled hard enough.

Jennipeg

If you really wanna feel old; I was five years old when FFVII game out. I was blissfully playing the Rugrats PSX games as if it were the greatest shit ever.

I dabbled, as I said in the OP, with the PSX FFs a bit via emulators when I first went to college (around 2010-11ish), but it was only last year that I really started digging into them, starting and beating FFVII after the E3 announcement and almost beating FFIX on my friends recommendation.

But yeah I'd say even with all the plotting weirdness, FFVII is a stronger narrative than VIII. I'm not gonna say the Rinoa x Squall stuff isn't good, I talked about it at length in that other post I did. It's just that I felt even at it's most messy, FFVII held together a stronger sense of coherence.

Did you comment on that big ass post of Disc 3 thoughts btw?

bib, No need to rub it in! lol.

I don't think I did directly, I think I replied to a reply. I'm really interested to know what you make of it after the ending cutscene. I've always advised people to play twice, and that's where you pick up hints to the disk 3 stuff. It still works on a first play through but you will be surprised how different things seem in the context of the whole plot.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, It's a good overview of the developments, they really do come thick and fast in disk 3, you have also been rather kind in your assessment of the gameplay I think.

The difference is that I love disk 3, like really really love it. I think the world building and themes introduced in disks 1+2 are pretty cohesive, so the fact that it goes bonkers in disk 3 is fine for me. Because its always anchored by that foundation, going to Esthar is like going on an adventure, we hear about it so much, actually getting there is a great pay off. The sudden introduction to this whole civilisation works for me because of the secrecy surrounding the continent. We know that weird sh*t happens there and being able to see it was really satisfying.

Things like the disruption of radio waves shown on disk 1, is actually because Esthar sent Adel into space and her tomb is disrupting the signal. Not only that, Adel's thoughts are broadcast on the Timber screen outside the radio station. Those hints early on are so good when you get the pay off. I am well aware of it's narrative flaws (Odin's plan being nonsense for a start) but I think my pure enthusiasm for it gets me through and just makes me want more. So the big plot points in disk 3 were exactly what I wanted out of it.

BTW have you been to tears point? You should go for the music, atmospheric as f*ck. I'll stop before I get into gushing territory lol.

It reviewed fantastically in the UK at least, and sold better than VII did during the launch window. Primarily because the hype train was out of this world. VII was our very first FF game, so a sequel was huge news now that we knew what to expect in terms of quality. I had become a huge fanboy by this point so bought every magazine with any news story about the game (did the same with IX and X as well) but the official PlayStation magazine even released a FFVIII magazine before launch, featuring a huge preview of the game, a story walk through (literally the whole story including screenshots. No idea why anyone would have read it) and a retrospective on the series. I still have the mag tucked away safely. That's why it sold so well.

As mentioned by others, despite the insanely positive reviews a lot of fans kicked up a fuss because it wasn't about Cloud this time around. There was this Squall dude, and even the world was completely different. For a lot of people VII was their introduction to the series, and this wasn't how sequels worked to them. There are certainly flaws with the game, but it was still an excellent release, and the use of CG in gameplay was ground breaking.

You know, I was gonna say I thought it was a pretty clear run from Mideel to Midgar to the Northern Crater, but then I had forgotten all that weird shit with Huge Materia in North Corel and Rocket Town, plus the futsing about with the Submarine and having to do Fort Condor if you hadn't already. Yeah, Disc 2 kinda wallows about a bit.

I felt though that Tifa helping Cloud uncover his identity in Mideel though was pretty powerful, and made it clear that this was the 'real' Cloud, which was reinforced later by the Zack flashbacks. Obviously a sort of weird translation didn't help, but I felt it came across pretty well.

At anyrate it doesn't change the fact that people do info dump you on the nature of the plot and how to stop it, but even then it's still pretty frustratingly vague.

Yea Disc 2 is weird. Random, and weird. But interesting.

And fun for being weird. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

Tifa recovering the real Cloud is definitely the best part after Disc 1, at least from a story and character perspective.
FFVIII was successful in Japan. It was less well received in the west because the vast majority of players had just discovered FF with VII and were taken aback that VIII was so radically different. Sure VIII has flaws, but the backlash was primarily "hey, this isn't FFVII-2 :(" Like he said, FFIX was already well into development before FFVIII relased. IX was in no way a reaction to VIII's reception.

Yep.

In a nutshell, it's why there's this perception that FFVIII is the worst game ever. It followed up FF7, who for alot of young fans was their first FF game.

Print magazine reviews were great. The biggest print magazines at the time (in the US) relevant to FF8 were EGM, GamePro, PSM, OPM. It scored 95/100 /10 /A+ respectively from those publications. Don't know what Game Informer rated it.

Gamespot and IGN ruled the online world and it scored 95 & 90 respectively.

Trying to act like the reviews weren't stellar is major revisionist history.

ethomaz

Banned
Print magazine reviews were great. The biggest print magazines at the time (in the US) relevant to FF8 were EGM, GamePro, PSM, OPM. It scored 95/100 /10 /A+ respectively from those publications. Don't know what Game Informer rated it.

Gamespot and IGN ruled the online world and it scored 95 & 90 respectively.

Trying to act like the reviews weren't stellar is major revisionist history.
Read these reviews... the flaws were evident but it was a time where scores were high by default.

It scored lower than FFVII or FFIX.

Read these reviews... the flaws were evident but it was a time where scores were high by default.

It scored lower than FFVII or FFIX.

That doesn't make it a bad game tbh. And honestly, If FFVII is the height of FF popularity, then FFIX is the opposite. FFIX, not that great. Might've gotten great scores, but I reckon it's one of the least remembered FF's.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Hell, back in 1999, FF10, 11, 12, AND 13 were in planning IIRC. I know 12 for a FACT was in planning because that Square FF8 SeeD exam party dancing scene was done on PS2 and they had that (forgetting the towns name, Archades?) concept art for 12 to show off.

Especially weird since IX sold only like half as much as VIII. Even if it was developed in response to VIII, that means Square fucked up big then.

Lol @ the FFIX "restore honor" narrative.

It wasnt even planned to be FF9 at one point.It was called FF gaiden at early stages of development.

I happen to think FF9 is significantly weaker and less interesting than FF8.

The art style turns me off completely. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to go back to chibi designs after VIII's more realistic models (which every game would stick with afterwards)?

HeelPower

Lol @ the FFIX "restore honor" narrative.

It wasnt even planned to be FF9 at one point.It was called FF gaiden at early stages of development.

I happen to think FF9 is significantly weaker and less interesting than FF8.

bib, No need to rub it in! lol.

I don't think I did directly, I think I replied to a reply. I'm really interested to know what you make of it after the ending cutscene. I've always advised people to play twice, and that's where you pick up hints to the disk 3 stuff. It still works on a first play through but you will be surprised how different things seem in the context of the whole plot.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, It's a good overview of the developments, they really do come thick and fast in disk 3, you have also been rather kind in your assessment of the gameplay I think.

The difference is that I love disk 3, like really really love it. I think the world building and themes introduced in disks 1+2 are pretty cohesive, so the fact that it goes bonkers in disk 3 is fine for me. Because its always anchored by that foundation, going to Esthar is like going on an adventure, we hear about it so much, actually getting there is a great pay off. The sudden introduction to this whole civilisation works for me because of the secrecy surrounding the continent. We know that weird sh*t happens there and being able to see it was really satisfying.

Things like the disruption of radio waves shown on disk 1, is actually because Esthar sent Adel into space and her tomb is disrupting the signal. Not only that, Adel's thoughts are broadcast on the Timber screen outside the radio station. Those hints early on are so good when you get the pay off. I am well aware of it's narrative flaws (Odin's plan being nonsense for a start) but I think my pure enthusiasm for it gets me through and just makes me want more. So the big plot points in disk 3 were exactly what I wanted out of it.

I mean, yeah it's neat that they put references to plot critical elements scattered around the world, but that doesn't excuse the critical path from being presented sloppily. Like to take a completely unrelated example, Call of Duty: Black Ops III's hidden twist of "the narrative is the dying dream of the player character" is a 'neat' idea, but that bit of cleverness doesn't just excuse how sloppily the narrative is presented.

Great works of fiction often have subtle foreshadowing of future events, yes, but they also marry that to narratives that are compelling in their own right. The 'Eureka' moments of realizing the importance of previous information is just icing on the cake.

I think in a way the Battle of the Gardens is sort of akin to facing Andrew Ryan in Hephaestus in Bioshock 1. The rest of the game isn't 'terrible', but its a clear step down because the main antagonist, the driver of the narrative tnesion, has been replaced with one that doesn't have half their prescense. It's not a perfect comparison, since Edea was no Andrew Ryan and there is still a lot of relevant Squall and Rinoa bits that occur in Disc 3, but I just kind of feel it was generally well plotted to that point and then all of a sudden I'm running around doing vague bullshit to kill time before the final dungeon.

I also feel it's disappointing that none of the characters not named Squall or Rinoa get much development Post-Trabia. I was liking the bits and pieces of growth I was seeing, but suddenly they're reduced to set dressing. I think VII, IX, and X were much more equal opportunity in fleshing out their casts.

BTW have you been to tears point? You should go for the music, atmospheric as f*ck. I'll stop before I get into gushing territory lol.

I'm on Disc 4 now, so no. Unless you're talking about Lunatic Pandora itself?

Also what's this shitting on IX? IX was Retro HD before it was cool!

I mean, I like the style of VIII and all, and it's clearly the template for X and XIII, but the style probably wasn't the greatest fit for the limited texture quality of the PSX. I mean...

a42.jpg

IX I think designed its character purposefully deformed partly because of the storybook feel of the world they were going for, but also because it just would render better on the PS1.

I feel like it's kinda hard to compare the PSX FFs because they are all trying to do different things:

• FFVII: First 3D FF; throw everything against the wall to create a new vision for what FF can be.
  • FFVIII: Take what was learned from creating FFVII and refine it; more complex character models and integration of CG with gameplay.
  • FFIX: Utilize the 3D skill from the previous two games to do a (then) modern take on the classic aesthetics and feel of Final Fantasy.

To me, they all to differing degrees accomplish their different goals.

So uh, beat Adel, which reminds me, how did Laguna and Odine get so confident that the party would somehow survive Time Compression to reach Ultimecia in the future? Is the power of friendship seriously supposed to protect them from the fabric of spacetime collapsing in on itself?

So uh, beat Adel, which reminds me, how did Laguna and Odine get so confident that the party would somehow survive Time Compression to reach Ultimecia in the future? Is the power of friendship seriously supposed to protect them from the fabric of spacetime collapsing in on itself?

nbNeUCC.gif

zmb5QuL.gif

Just go with it.

Lol, Well they have the only sorceress and there ain't any body else. Plus the time loop means they will win anyway. Fate and all that.

So because of the Succession of Witches, Rinoa must survive to pass on her powers so Ultimecia could eventually exist. Then shouldn't Ultimecia know from the beginning that her plan would fail? Because... somehow the only time travel that works is if it was always meant to, which means that Ulimecia lives in a time where her whole Time Compression scheme has been tried and failed untold years in the past. And isn't it a tad depressing that the final legacy of the Sorceresses is a tyrannical narcissist?

God this whole thing is a fucking Grandfather Paradox. Why couldn't they have just gone with Many Worlds?

Any thoughts on my other reply btw, or are you waiting until I beat the game?

EDIT: And also, you know, who's to say Rinoa is a predecessor to Ultimecia? There isn't a single line (Edea got her powers from another Sorceress, she only later absorbed Ultimecia's power), so there could be other Sorceresses in the woodwork.

So because of the Succession of Witches, Rinoa must survive to pass on her powers so Ultimecia could eventually exist. Then shouldn't Ultimecia know from the beginning that her plan would fail? Because... somehow the only time travel that works is if it was always meant to, which means that Ulimecia lives in a time where her whole Time Compression scheme has been tried and failed untold years in the past. And isn't it a tad depressing that the final legacy of the Sorceresses is a tyrannical narcissist?

God this whole thing is a fucking Grandfather Paradox. Why couldn't they have just gone with Many Worlds?

Any thoughts on my other reply btw, or are you waiting until I beat the game?

EDIT: And also, you know, who's to say Rinoa is a predecessor to Ultimecia? There isn't a single line (Edea got her powers from another Sorceress, she only later absorbed Ultimecia's power), so there could be other Sorceresses in the woodwork.

That's where Time Compression comes in.

I dunno if they've explained Time Compression to you yet. Or if you understood it >_> So read at your own riiiiskkkkkk(No spoilers, just Time Compression)

Time Compression, what it's supposed to accomplish, is eliminate all possible paths to Ultimecias failure. That is, it's supposed to 'compress' the past, present, and future into one timeline, so Ultimecia can have reign over everything at once. Like....think of time being 3 strands of different colored Play-Doh. Each strand representing the past, present, and future. And then smash them together, and mix them up, where they became one big ball that's differently colored. See? And because Ultimecia holds the keys to this, so to speak, she gets to control what happens in all 3 timelines at once, since everything is happening at once.

That's where Time Compression comes in.

I dunno if they've explained Time Compression to you yet. Or if you understood it >_> So read at your own riiiiskkkkkk(No spoilers, just Time Compression)

Time Compression, what it's supposed to accomplish, is eliminate all possible paths to Ultimecias failure. That is, it's supposed to 'compress' the past, present, and future into one timeline, so Ultimecia can have reign over everything at once. Like....think of time being 3 strands of different colored Play-Doh. Each strand representing the past, present, and future. And then smash them together, and mix them up, where they became one big ball that's differently colored. See? And because Ultimecia holds the keys to this, so to speak, she gets to control what happens in all 3 timelines at once, since everything is happening at once.

I don't think it had any thing to do with multiple timelines; if anything it seemed like only one timeline exists, and all time travel shenanigans 'always' happened, their effects are baked into the causal chain of events.

I've been assuming her plan was to use Ellone to leap-frog through time, collecting the powers of all the Sorceresses all the way back to I suppose Hyne, and... I dunno, using them all to collapse spacetime like an accordion around Ultimecia as the focal point so she would be the only thing that exists. This... quite flagrantly violates causality, but maybe Magic is fifth dimensional ersumshit? fuck if I know.

I don't think it had any thing to do with multiple timelines; if anything it seemed like only one timeline exists, and all time travel shenanigans 'always' happened, their effects are baked into the causal chain of events.

I've been assuming her plan was to use Ellone to leap-frog through time, collecting the powers of all the Sorceresses all the way back to I suppose Hyne, and... I dunno, using them all to collapse spacetime like an accordion around Ultimecia as the focal point so she would be the only thing that exists. This... quite flagrantly violates causality, but maybe Magic is fifth dimensional ersumshit? fuck if I know.

Not timelines, but time itself-That is, past, present, and future.(That's what I mean by timelines). Basically, Time Compressions goal is to mix all 3 together-So that the past, present, and future happens simultaneously. In doing so, Ultimecia is able to live forever, because as long as everything is happening at once, she'll never die.

Ultimecia was going to use Ellones ability-which is to send someones memory back in time and implant it in someone she knew(IE Squall to Laguna in those flashbacks), but in a more physical sense. Ultimecia, by junctioning herself to Ellone, would've been able to manifest Ellones ability in a way that would combine the timelines-that is, past, present, and future- together, where Ultimecia(Since she Junctioned Ellone to her) would have complete control over everything, all at once. Thus Ultimecia never dies, because she'll never reach that point in time, and she'll never have to pass on her power.

I've thought about Time Compression alot >_> I'd like to consider myself the foremost expert of time compression. I'm an expert, you know.

Not timelines, but time itself-That is, past, present, and future.(That's what I mean by timelines). Basically, Time Compressions goal is to mix all 3 together-So that the past, present, and future happens simultaneously. In doing so, Ultimecia is able to live forever, because as long as everything is happening at once, she'll never die.

Ultimecia was going to use Ellones ability-which is to send someones memory back in time and implant it in someone she knew(IE Squall to Laguna in those flashbacks), but in a more physical sense. Ultimecia, by junctioning herself to Ellone, would've been able to manifest Ellones ability in a way that would combine the timelines-that is, past, present, and future- together, where Ultimecia(Since she Junctioned Ellone to her) would have complete control over everything, all at once. Thus Ultimecia never dies, because she'll never reach that point in time, and she'll never have to pass on her power.

I've thought about Time Compression alot >_> I'd like to consider myself the foremost expert of time compression. I'm an expert, you know.

But it's not like 'past, present, and future' are absolute things; they only exist in relation to each other. By compressing Spacetime isn't she annihilating the causal chain that allowed her to exist in the first place? Or is an aspect of Time Magic freeing herself from the confines of causality? Either way though if it's something she's adept at, shouldn't she realize she cannot change the past and her attempts to do so are Quixotic? Or is what she doing a sort of loophole, where she technically doesn't change the past, but instead freezes and condenses all events?

I guess what part of this utilization of Time Compression actually requires going back in the past; is she attempting to go back to the creation of the universe?

But it's not like 'past, present, and future' are absolute things; they only exist in relation to each other. By compressing Spacetime isn't she annihilating the causal chain that allowed her to exist in the first place? Or is an aspect of Time Magic freeing herself from the confines of causality? Either way though if it's something she's adept at, shouldn't she realize she cannot change the past and her attempts to do so are Quixotic? Or is what she doing a sort of loophole, where she technically doesn't change the past, but instead freezes and condenses all events?

Yup. Like you mentioned, 'Folding space time like an accordion around herself', is one way to put it. Looking at it logically, it'd be impossible because it would be almost like opening up an alternate reality to look upon your current reality-But in Magic/Space/Time logic, it's distorting reality to exist all at once and for Ultimecia to be the sort of Maestro of it, being able to control this distorted time however she wants.

Like you said, she can't change the future because her past is locked into place, unless she achieves time compression, in which case the past and future will both be open to her. She is trying to escape her fate of passing on her powers. And the only way she can do it, is by setting up a chain of events that eventually leads her to being able to control all of time, but at once.

I guess what part of this utilization of Time Compression actually requires going back in the past; is she attempting to go back to the creation of the universe?

By achieving Time Compression, in a way yeah she would recreate the universe, albeit with everything under her control. Since the past, present, and future are all 'together', she can pick and choose what events would transpire in this timeline, whilst having complete control over the past, present, and future.

Oh my god she's Pucci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom